Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Closed

Options
  • 29-10-2010 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

I heard that Amber is closed down for good.

Its been in decline for years. Any thoughts on it?

On a side note, I also heard (along the grapevine) that this will possibly be soon followed by the Dixon's (who are the owners of amber) shops - Dixons Earl St & the big Londis in Quay St- and the funeral home on bridge street, as well as the limo business. Anybody know about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

It went in to Administration on Tuesday apparently. The college Halloween ball was meant to be there but got moved to Ridleys.

No loss tbh - it was too small, the bouncers were dicks and the promotions in other clubs were far better

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

bigneacy wrote: »
    I heard that Amber is closed down for good.

Its been in decline for years. Any thoughts on it?

On a side note, I also heard (along the grapevine) that this will possibly be soon followed by the Dixon's (who are the owners of amber) shops - Dixons Earl St & the big Londis in Quay St- and the funeral home on bridge street, as well as the limo business. Anybody know about this?

Basically, Mr. Kehoe has had all his assets taken off him by the banks 'cos he owe's them a fortune??

How the mighty have fallen...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I'm sorry to hear that, more people out of work. Hope someone takes over the businesses. I'm always in that Londis, It's very handy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

TopBombing wrote: »
    Basically, Mr. Kehoe has had all his assets taken off him by the banks 'cos he owe's them a fortune??

How the mighty have fallen...

why would they close all thier business then?

not going make money sitting idle, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

event wrote: »
    why would they close all thier business then?

not going make money sitting idle, are they?

That'd be my logic on it too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

It must be a case that each night they are making a loss.

Its really sad though that its closing as the less completive the night life is the easier it becomes for a club (ie Ridleys) to become dominate. Which they use to have a massive cover charge in, rip off drink prices and play the shíttest music.

What 4 years ago we had the choice of Vicars, Sky, Amber, Laceys, Ridleys and Silence now we have two. :mad:

Remember the nights of drink promotions :rolleyes:

Can still remember going into Amber for the first time and feeling really young had some good nights there but havent been near the place in nearly two years. I personally dont like going out in Dundalk any more (far cry form a few years ago) mainly because of the music and the price. Dublin FTW!

Yeah its shocking to think that Dundalk has only two nightclubs now... A friend was telling me recently that letterkenny (about half the size of Dundalk) has 5 or 6 nightclubs...! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

A nightclub is going to be one of the first victims in a recession. People just don't have the money to go out drinking every weekend.

That said, Amber must have had really bad management for it to go bust. Most nightclubs are rolling in money - admission charges, cloak room charges, ludricrously high drink prices (€1 for a dash of blackcurrant in my whiskey!) and no shortage of idiots willing to pay them. Overheads include what? Electricity, rent, wages of bouncers, DJs and bar staff. Not that much really.

I haven't been in Amber in literally years since I moved out of the town, but was there a noticeable drop in numbers attending every weekend recently? It used to be packed with the same crowd of regulars when I used to occasionally go (so much so that you'd be waiting at the bar for 10mins to get served).

No great loss to the town imho. Amber was always the last resort when you couldn't get into Silence or Ridelys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Fo Real wrote: »
    A nightclub is going to be one of the first victims in a recession. People just don't have the money to go out drinking every weekend.

That said, Amber must have had really bad management for it to go bust. Most nightclubs are rolling in money - admission charges, cloak room charges, ludricrously high drink prices (€1 for a dash of blackcurrant in my whiskey!) and no shortage of idiots willing to pay them. Overheads include what? Electricity, rent, wages of bouncers, DJs and bar staff. Not that much really.

I haven't been in Amber in literally years since I moved out of the town, but was there a noticeable drop in numbers attending every weekend recently? It used to be packed with the same crowd of regulars when I used to occasionally go (so much so that you'd be waiting at the bar for 10mins to get served).

No great loss to the town imho. Amber was always the last resort when you couldn't get into Silence or Ridelys.

Think you should coount Council rates , building insurance , public liability insurance and employee insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Brukakers must have also played a role in ambers downfall, it gets big crowds at the weekend, and none of that crazy €13 admission and €2 for your coat, its sad that the rip off place in Park Street does so well:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

indiewindy wrote: »
    Brukakers must have also played a role in ambers downfall, it gets big crowds at the weekend, and none of that crazy €13 admission and €2 for your coat, its sad that the rip off place in Park Street does so well:mad:

You can say what you want re ridleys, they sometimes infuriate me at times but at the end of the day they run a tight ship, and in the 20 odd years i've been going there (granted in the last few years the realisation on the sporadic occasions i've been that the crowd has been getting younger only to realise that it's me who's geting older has lead me to stay in brubakers rather than venture up ) but in all my time there i never once saw a row or any scummy behaviour you sometimes see in other venues in the area. For some unknown reason (drink) i ended up in carrick a few weeks back and i honestly thought i wouldn't get home alive !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

but in all my time there i never once saw a row or any scummy behaviour you sometimes see in other venues

+1 on this. Probably the best run bar/night club I have been in in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

Im absolutly deighted. That was one rubbish nightclub with even worse doorman. I was thrown out of there one night for NO reason. Im not a big drinker had one in there and the bouncers told me I had to leave no reason given no refund I was in there for 15 mins I never stepped foot in there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

You can say what you want re ridleys, they sometimes infuriate me at times but at the end of the day they run a tight ship, and in the 20 odd years i've been going there (granted in the last few years the realisation on the sporadic occasions i've been that the crowd has been getting younger only to realise that it's me who's geting older has lead me to stay in brubakers rather than venture up ) but in all my time there i never once saw a row or any scummy behaviour you sometimes see in other venues in the area. For some unknown reason (drink) i ended up in carrick a few weeks back and i honestly thought i wouldn't get home alive !

I still dont understand why people actually go to Carrick for a night out, it has no redeeming features of any kind, I haven't been there in years and I'm 100% sure I haven't missed out.

draffodx wrote: »
    I still dont understand why people actually go to Carrick for a night out, it has no redeeming features of any kind, I haven't been there in years and I'm 100% sure I haven't missed out.

The town that civilisation forgot.... Animals out there... I remember seeing a band playing in carrick. Just an ordinary pub band, not famous - they had an moderately attractive female singer.

They had five... FIVE bouncers surrounding the band cos the lads in the pub were going ape****.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The town that civilisation forgot.... Animals out there... I remember seeing a band playing in carrick. Just an ordinary pub band, not famous - they had an moderately attractive female singer.

They had five... FIVE bouncers surrounding the band cos the lads in the pub were going ape****.

Unreal, a town filled with knuckle dragger's is the best way to describe it on a Saturday night.

On Amber, its been 3 years since I was there and even back then you could see it going downhill, which is a pity 'cos I used to really enjoy the spot when I was in college.

Is Ridleys and Silence the only 2 nightclubs in dundalk now!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I think that the Londis on Quay street is supposed to be staying open. Something about there being a Post Office in it or something. So I heard anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

draffodx wrote: »
    Unreal, a town filled with knuckle dragger's is the best way to describe it on a Saturday night.

:DDeadly!

Remember the oasis nightclub back in the day, them carrick lads loved kicking a few heads in that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

skipz wrote: »
    :DDeadly!

Remember the oasis nightclub back in the day, them carrick lads loved kicking a few heads in that place.
    Carrick v Kingscourt on a Saturday night :p , it was some spot though, many a good night I had there and when it was Enigma too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Carrick sure is a sight to behold on a Saturday night,reminds me of Dundalk 20+ years ago.If Dundalk can be compared to El-Paso then Carrick is certaintly Ciudad Juárez:D
    (albeit Carrick and Dundalk are on the same side of the border)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Carrick v Kingscourt on a Saturday night :p , it was some spot though, many a good night I had there and when it was Enigma too.

More like Carrick Vs the North east:D. Yeah some great nights, some spot alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 amn88

Anyone know who the reciever on the nightclub Peter dixon ltd is? how long before that can be relaesed on the market or what are the next steps here? or can we expect amber to be closed for a while?

amn88 wrote: »
    Anyone know who the reciever on the nightclub Peter dixon ltd is? how long before that can be relaesed on the market or what are the next steps here? or can we expect amber to be closed for a while?

Can't see it re-opening until someone new takes the reigns. Amber in its current incarnation is, supposedly, a money pit.

Needs someone with fresh thinking to take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jonnycakes

mad news about amber.havent been out in the town in a few years since relocating to dublin.whats the story with that "d-venue" gaff above the old earl inn?saw pretty cheap looking artwork and dance classics - bound to end in tears!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EPjnr

Hard to believe a nightclub which is apparently one of three in a town of 35000 people and has a 3rd level collage and is open 5nights a week,On top of this it apparently has some agreement with dkit and gets all the collage balls etc. Now can anybody expalin how this place could possibly be a 'money pit' ? What were management doing in this place?or was there any management at all in this place?
    So can anyone give me an accurate description of this club, its size, location etc and what potential it may have under the right management?
    I see KPMG's Kieran Wallace is reciever and manager on peter dixon ltd.. Does anyone know what else was included in this company other than a nightclub that may have dragged it into insolvency?

EPjnr wrote: »
    it apparently has some agreement with dkit and gets all the collage balls etc.

That ended - the student union switched to Ridleys

Now can anybody expalin how this place could possibly be a 'money pit' ? What were management doing in this place?or was there any management at all in this place?
    So can anyone give me an accurate description of this club, its size, location etc and what potential it may have under the right management?

The place was tiny - at least in comparison to the other 2 clubs in town - the club is only about 100ft away from Silence, which its self is only 100ft away from Ridleys - all right in the town center.
    The bouncers were VERY strict - to the point that people wouldnt even bother trying.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    That ended - the student union switched to Ridleys

The place was tiny - at least in comparison to the other 2 clubs in town - the club is only about 100ft away from Silence, which its self is only 100ft away from Ridleys - all right in the town center.
    The bouncers were VERY strict - to the point that people wouldnt even bother trying.

Capacity? aprx?

when did dkit change to ridleys? was the halloween ball not planned for amber and then changed to ridleys once the news of amber came to surface?

I'd love to think that the bouncers are partly to blame for the downfall to amber

Capacity? aprx?

when did dkit change to ridleys? was the halloween ball not planned for amber and then changed to ridleys once the news of amber came to surface?

I'd love to think that the bouncers are partly to blame for the downfall to amber

I hazard a guess at around 2000 - probably wayyyy off.

The Halloween ball was intended for Amber but Ridleys is the 'Official' Club of the SU - all other big events are being held there.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I hazard a guess at around 2000 - probably wayyyy off.

The Halloween ball was intended for Amber but Ridleys is the 'Official' Club of the SU - all other big events are being held there.

I'd like to think ur right about the capacity but that is a very big nightclub in this country, Mantra in Maynooth has a capacity of 2000 but who am i to say i've never being in Dundalk in my life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Does anyone know what else was included in this company other than a nightclub that may have dragged it into insolvency?

From the original post

FTW Dixons of Earl Street is the shop just below Amber.
    I'd like to think ur right about the capacity but that is a very big nightclub in this country, Mantra in Maynooth has a capacity of 2000 but who am i to say i've never being in Dundalk in my life
    I myself have been in both, Mantra is bigger then any of the clubs in Dundalk. When you consider the size of the smoking room up stairs and down stairs. Mantra also has them small rooms just off the dance floor upstairs and the bar down stairs which none of the clubs have in Dundalk. Then in the upstairs in Amber they have a viewing gallery where you can see everyone the floor below on the dance floor which is really just wasted space.

I guesstimate the capacity at 1,200 considering Mantra can hold 2,000.

When Amber first opened there was a pub on the ground floor which is now a shop.

This MAP shows the relation in distance between each club.

A - Amber
    B - Silence
    C - Ridley's

Streetview of Amber, its the Black door and the white shop is Dixons.

On another note much like Mantra gets crowds on the weekends from Leixlip, Celbridge and Clane, Dundalk night life gets crowds from North Louth which has a much bigger population then 35k.

You have to remember that Mantra lost a lot of its crowds after a few months as everyone got bored of it. Like places like The Roost and Bradys where packed while Mantra only had a hand full of people.

Advertisement