Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cribs or cots

Options
  • 29-10-2010 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I know its early to be thinking of this(am nearly 14 wks) but if i don't do something constructive i'll go mad due to some serious sickness!!

when in a baby shop last week i seen a beautiful crib on a rocker, it was very fairytale but also quite neat and tidy. my mum said it would be pretty pointless getting one as you can use a cot from birth. I've since been thinking bout getting one first and holding off on a cot for a few months. my own bedroom isn't very big and a cot will take over, so if the baby will be in with us for the first few weeks i'll have to move out my wardrobes to make space for the cot:D I thought the crib would be neat and tidy and i'll still have space to move around the room! plus im not gonna get a moses basket as my sitting room where we mainly live is too small for one so i thought the crib would double up!
    Does everyone else think this is a waste of money or would it be a good option for me?? Don't want to make a hormone fuelled decision just because i love the look of them, so if any of you guys have an experience with these i really would love to hear your opinions, thanks in advance;);)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A travel cot is also a good idea and might be the balance between the 2.
    They also come with bassinets for baby and changers on top which save your back.
    We got a loan of a moses basket and will do the same again this time ,she stayed in it until 7/8 months then it was too dangerous as she prob would have climbed out!
    The crib isn't a bad idea at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I think the crib sounds right for you for a while, though borrow if you can. I'm getting my sisters, then cot for when you can move baby to own room :-) Cribs and baskets are so cute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Consider an Armsreach cosleeper cot too - you can see them on cots.ie. They attach to the bed but can also be used as a stand-alone crib as the baby is safely contained within them. They're good up to 7-8 months, can be wheeled about the house (handy for nap time) and fold into a carry case so can double up as a travel cot. I love ours, was our best buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

We had a crib and although it was very pretty, our little lady was in it for less than 6 weeks. I'm sure she couldv'e stayed in it a little while longer but she kept hanging her arms out through the bars which I'm sure wasn't good for her little joints and I was very worried about catching her arms when I had to get up in the night. Even the bumper couldn't keep her arms in, she found a way to get them out!

She's always slept much better in her cot where she has had room to move, but every baby is different!

Don't forget that when you do buy a crib, you then have to buy sheets and a bumper, which you will then need to buy for a cot later so you are doubling up on the cost.

The SIDS association recommend that your baby sleeps in with you til he/she is 6 months old, so unless you think you will get the 6 months out fo the crib, you will probably need to have a cot in your room eventually anyway.

If someone had told me this when we were buying our crib, I wouldn't have listened as I was quite fixated on the 'fairytaleness' of the crib and I was getting one and that was that! The only good thing is that my sister in law has had a baby since and used the crib and my other sister in law is due a baby in a few months and will also be using the crib so its getting well used if only for a few weeks at a time! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Moonbeam wrote: »
    A travel cot is also a good idea and might be the balance between the 2.
    They also come with bassinets for baby and changers on top which save your back.
    We got a loan of a moses basket and will do the same again this time ,she stayed in it until 7/8 months then it was too dangerous as she prob would have climbed out!
    The crib isn't a bad idea at all though.

Yep we got this in Mothercare..

n0242t.jpg

For our bedroom for the first few months until the baby goes into his/her own room, we also got a moses basket for downstairs for during the day..

We figure the travel cot will be handy for holidays and will double as a play pen when we do move him/her to the big cot..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

thanks for the replies guys, this is our first and the first on both sides so we're a bit green about everything to say the least:)

xzanti, just wonderin about that travel cot, looked it up on their website its really nice and way more practical than a crib. how long did you get out of it before you had to move baba? im sure it is perfect but the bassinet part looks very light, im having visions of a huge baby as im already showing at 14 wks:eek:

i know i've lots of time to look at these things but like i said i need to be doing something, plus im a super organised person!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

melsbells wrote: »
    xzanti, just wonderin about that travel cot, looked it up on their website its really nice and way more practical than a crib. how long did you get out of it before you had to move baba? im sure it is perfect but the bassinet part looks very light, im having visions of a huge baby as im already showing at 14 wks:eek:

Baby is due in December but I will report back ;) the bassinet is pretty sturdy though, I'd say it would do up to a few months at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

xzanti wrote: »
    Baby is due in December but I will report back ;) the bassinet is pretty sturdy though, I'd say it would do up to a few months at least..

The bassinet is very sturdy and my 2 year old was climbing on it when my 5 month only was in it. My 5 month old weighed the same as an average 9 month old.

Unfortunately none of mine like sleeping anywhere except for in my arms. Even the vibration and music (which i thought was great) would not sooth him. I even tried putting my clothes in there so he could smell me.

The changing mat is great, one of the best features I used the chaning mat up until my guy was 2+, i also used the travel cot as a play pen, but the boys were not impressed, they liked their space.

Not too much time left now xzanti, are you all set?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

thanks for all the info ladies! my cousin had been really good and offered us the lend of two moses baskets for as long as we need them, so going to put one in the living room and one in our room, we're thinking when the babs grows out of the basket in our room we can move it to the cot in the 'nursery'(its just a junk room at the min but we've great intentions:D)
    realistically the crib and bumper set was working out too dear and it turns out our buggy budget is going to have to increase so borrowing is working out best at the min;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

xzanti wrote: »
    the bassinet is pretty sturdy though, I'd say it would do up to a few months at least..

My 5 month old (18lbs+) is only out of the bassinet now. It was the best item we got - ordered it as a pressie from my family. I use it in the kitchen now for daytime naps, for him to play in and as a toy dump at night. The changer is great and it folds up brilliantly to go visit the grandparents. We had the loan of a moses basket too which was great, but it only did until he was 6 weeks old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

we got for our son a pram with carry cot. you can get them with seat belth inside as well.

We had his cot upstairs but we taken the carrycot out of pram's chassie and put it inside the cot and he was sleeping there ok. When I wanted to take him for a walk we just brought the carrycot downstairs and off we went :)

I found it more prectical and less space consuming :) 2 in 1

Advertisement