Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New modding project for long winter nights

• 29-10-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have an idea for a new project to do it over the next month or two. Just wanted to share it with yous and ask for opinions, maybe someone did something similar?

Short introduction to the subject:
    I was never fan of console gaming, always preferred computer (m+k) than console. It didn't felt right to me at the time. I enjoyed long drunken evenings with my mates with PSX and tekken etc, but I never wanted to own a console. The PSX pad was... bad in my opinion, I never liked it.

I build myself nice gaming pc, watercooled, overclocked, I was getting trillion 3D-Mark points and all, but I realised that I didn't have time to play on it. I sold it and got myself Xbox360 (I owned original Xbox just for XBMC). Wow, that was something different, graphics wasn't as good as pc, but playability was great and most important pad felt ok, not like the PS crap.

I always mod things to get more out of it, and to learn. So when the PS3 was hacked and all (I don't want to use word jailbreak, I hate it) I got myself one on Adverts (actually I got like 4, but 3 are broken I broke them even more trying to learn how to fix them in most efective way :D). Small thought on hacking PS3: I really hoped that it was going to be more work demanding than flashing development board or an old Ipod, but from the other hand that may be a good thing, less work on getting it hacked, more on Homebrew. I haven't seen so much homebrew since original Xbox time.

But then there it was, the terrible Sony pad, almost the same as the old PSX one, made for lilliput hands and I'm a man not a kid anymore.

I was looking for some kind of adapter to connect almost perfect X360 pad (it would be perfect if not the D-pad) to PS3, but they're expensive, and where is the fun in just buying, ha? I found this thread on Xbox-scene, mod done by RDC, guy whos mods are incredible (slot loading X360 ie), better in my opinion than this Ben Heck fella.

So here it is:
    PS360026.jpg

A Dualshock controller in X360 controller shell. Or even better, with the PS d-pad like this:
    PS360D-pad018.jpg

Let me know what do you people thing. I have take both controllers apart yesterday, it is tricky job but possible.
    (BTW, if anyone has spare Xbox360 wired controller, broken or not, let me know please, I need board donor. Thanks)

all pictures taken from forum.xbox-scene.com
    links to original threads:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=655017
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=651946

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I think it's a fantastic little idea, and I much prefer the xbox 360 controller myself. If I had a busted controller I'd gladly help you out - alas all of mine are working and needed :( I'd go the whole hog and move the d-pad as well as the buttons over, maybe using a black console to keep the very slick look with the dpad (I dunno if you can get white PS3 controllers).

Once I crawl out of the little debt bucket I'm in I think I'm actually going to go for a watercooled 360. I need to do some designs, but that'll be my own thread and my own mini-project.

Could you keep this thread updated with in-progress pictures? There are only a few on the threads you posted and I'd like some moar :D

Yep, i haven't held a playstation controller in years, when i got the PS3 recently it felt all weird, your fingers slip of the triggers so easy.

I have seen a x360 controller driver for linux, so on the soft side of things maybe someone could get code it to run on jailbroken PS3`s.

As for the Physical mod, looks like a nice project. I have a wired x360 controller your free to have Doc :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

cisk wrote: »
    Yep, i haven't held a playstation controller in years, when i got the PS3 recently it felt all weird, your fingers slip of the triggers so easy.

I have seen a x360 controller driver for linux, so on the soft side of things maybe someone could get code it to run on jailbroken PS3`s.

As for the Physical mod, looks like a nice project. I have a wired x360 controller your free to have Doc :)

Cool, pm'd you there. Thanks a lot, and I will keep yous updated on the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have this probably 60% completed (ben heck method), haven't touched in months unfortunatly though.

Its is a ****ing time drain! there is a lot of try this, no thats not wokring dremel a little more, kind of thing!

Will hopefully finish it one day!

any pics? or any tips for fellow modder wmn? ;)

• Advertisement

I'll take some tomorrow and post them up.

Only tips i have so far is paitence and buy several sizes of tactile switches, some will fit better than others

Ok so here are some pics:

ps3xbox.JPG

ps3xbox1.JPG
    Could probably do with straightening that X button :P

ps3xbox2.JPG

ps3xbox3.JPG

So the over all status would be:

D-Pad - Mechanically working and is soldered up so should be logically working too

Left Analog stick - is in the right place but needs to be soldered up

Right analog stick - Should be good to go

Face buttons - X and O are mechanically working (the tactile switch will click when i press it) but are not soldered up. /\ and [] have tactiles in the right place but are not mechanically working yet

Bumpers - Mechanically working, not soldered

Sync button - Mechanically working, not soldered

Start, select and power(button for turning the controller on) - Tactile in the right place, not mechanically working and are soldered.

Triggers - nothing done.

Status LEDS - in the right place, not soldered

Ok, decided to have another go yesterday, but changed it a bit.

Instead of using the original PS3 controller, I bought one of those:
    sku_42000_1.jpg
    on adverts and I was suprised how it worked well. I overpayed a bit, DX has one for $16.50, but was cheap anyway.

So I decided to desolder those cheat turbo switches and solder the board inside. I trimmed it a bit, actually it broke in half when cutting (I was lazy and instead of getting dremmel from cupboard I used snippers :D) and had to wire all the tracks. Also had to desolder the cristal and capacitors and move them somewhere else to close the shell. It still doesn't close fully, but it looks ok and works!

here are some pictures:
    _MG_4313.jpg
    _MG_4314.jpg
    _MG_4315.jpg
    _MG_4317.jpg

Advertisement