Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5D screen gone weird..

• 29-10-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

While I was out and about on Sunday I noticed that in playback/review the LCD screen was doing something funny on the camera - but thought I must have pressed something or done something to have caused it. I asked a lovely guy who turned out to be in DCC and he couldn't figure it out either.. but now I've googled endlessly and have found one post - which makes it out to be something that needs to be seriously repaired and not just me having pressed a button :( Annoying thing is the photos taken are all perfect - it literally is just the playback/review screen. All other menus etc are displaying perfectly.

So. Anyone have any ideas on how to get this repaired?! I bought it second hand on adverts only in August, so not very happy!
    Example of how the images look - taken from that thread posed above as I haven't had a chance to take a pic of mine!
    5126263954_54f5b9f3c2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Update..

I called ISS and I will be dropping it into them on Monday - they said it's a definite repair job and that they'd get me an estimate before it'd be done. No idea what it'll cost as yet.

Does this mean it will be sent to Canon UK to be repaired? Would I be as well off to send it there directly myself - or is there someone local who could fix this?

Apologies - I just haven't had to deal with repairs before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Hey Cork Girl,

~Unlucky to happen so short after buying :S
    Unfortunately a repair job is needed indeed.
    I am in Greystones and do repairs so I would be happy to take a look and give you an estimate if you would like.

PM me for details if you are interested.

PM on the way :)

Cheers, PM replied to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

Have the same problem with my 5D, ISS sent it away to Canon for me and quoted 1300 Plus VAT (not sure if this is € or £ster)

Might take a peek inside, since it comes and goes it must be a loose connection somewhere.

Zerohamster if you have any joy with Cork_girl's camera I might get you to take a look. In an ideal world you wouldn't need to use the screen but i'm too used to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

King Eric wrote: »
    Have the same problem with my 5D, ISS sent it away to Canon for me and quoted 1300 Plus VAT (not sure if this is € or £ster)

Might take a peek inside, since it comes and goes it must be a loose connection somewhere.

Zerohamster if you have any joy with Cork_girl's camera I might get you to take a look. In an ideal world you wouldn't need to use the screen but i'm too used to it now.

1300 just to repair it ??? better of just getting the MKII ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I've had issues with ISS's pricing for repairs in the past.

they simply send it off to Fixation in the UK - but they charge you for*:
    - looking at it themselves
    - postage and packing to UK
    - Fixation repair cost + whatever they want to add on for themselves
    - postage and packing from UK to Ireland
    - Random extra fee for the fun of it.

if you want a quote for repair - send it to Fixation yourself.

*= may or may not be factually correct - but its my opinion that they overcharge excessively

If that £/€1300 price is right then I am in somewhat confused at how they justify their costs on that one :O I would expect an ASF of canon to charge high but as expensive as a new camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

if the repairs are that much why not claim it on your insurance, get quotes for repair and thn just replace with new camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

I found ISS very helpful when dealing with repairs. Loaned me a 5D markII while it was away getting checked out. (plus grip and spare battery)

The quote for repair was to replace one or possibly two chips inside. Still a ridiculous cost, but nothing to do with ISS as such. It was actually returned as a beyond economic repair, they wern't hanging on the other end of the phone for an answer screwdriver in hand. :P

If i had dealt with Fixation myself I would have been with out camera while it was away and have had to pay for shipping to and from Fixation.

I've found them very pleasant to deal with and been well looked after.

I had a repair previously carried out on a lens and the shutter replaced on a 1D MKII N, which came in cheaper than I thought and definately less than what I could gather people had been charged when dealing directly with Fixation.

Camera is not insured at the moment, altho I'm increasingly thinking about arranging this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

King Eric wrote: »
    I found ISS very helpful when dealing with repairs. Loaned me a 5D markII while it was away getting checked out. (plus grip and spare battery)

The quote for repair was to replace one or possibly two chips inside. Still a ridiculous cost, but nothing to do with ISS as such. It was actually returned as a beyond economic repair, they wern't hanging on the other end of the phone for an answer screwdriver in hand. :P

If i had dealt with Fixation myself I would have been with out camera while it was away and have had to pay for shipping to and from Fixation.

I've found them very pleasant to deal with and been well looked after.

I had a repair previously carried out on a lens and the shutter replaced on a 1D MKII N, which came in cheaper than I thought and definately less than what I could gather people had been charged when dealing directly with Fixation.

Camera is not insured at the moment, altho I'm increasingly thinking about arranging this.

ISS do give you a replcement (if they know you well enough or if you ask) .... but they also factor the rental fee into your repair cost (sometimes by increasing other items on the bill and claiming they gave it to you for free)

they will add it to the bill if they dont know you - Conns do the same if you pass it into them for repair - they'll give a rental camera.

Either way the only authorised Canon repair center between here and England is Fixation (best of my knowledge) ... so any repairs are sent to them.

stcstc wrote: »
    if the repairs are that much why not claim it on your insurance, get quotes for repair and thn just replace with new camera

No insurance and no warranty - bought second hand.
    the_monkey wrote: »
    1300 just to repair it ??? better of just getting the MKII ....

Not an option - if money grew on trees then yes, I'd just go out and get the MKII, but unfortunately my budget was spent on the camera only a couple of months ago and that was pushing what I could afford! Was hoping to put any money I have into lenses - not another body!

Lets just hope that it is all only something small :o:) and I'll be back snapping soon!

Advertisement