Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Bike Winter Cleaning Kit.

• 29-10-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

My bike is now in need of a clean and with the winter months and dirtier roads I wanted to put together some essential clean kit. I am talking about a road-bike here although I am sure there is massive crossover.

I know this has been done in some threads before but i couldn't find anything specific.

Some of the question that I have pondered.

1. Some brushes, but which ones are good?
    2. What gets the wheels and rims all shiny and new again?
    3. What should be used on the chain after cleaning it?

Anyway maybe if people could add what they see as essential kit. I could get the bike cleaned up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

degreaser from halfords

park chain cleaner and
    car sponge on frame

here http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?cat=Cleaning%20Tools

i'd do my bike after every ride this time of year (the commuter is a mess though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

If you have a garden hose handy, then it does no harm to spray the dirt off every evening, particularly off the brake area.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Some good suggestions here lads. Now for a trip to halfords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As regards brushes, brushes with synthetic bristles just tend to take the oily dirt from one part of the bikes and transfer it to other parts of the bike. Brushes with natural bristles apparently are far better at actually taking the dirt away rather than just shoving it about - presumably the natural bristles "absorb" the grease and it then washes out of them in soapy water. I've not tried a natural bristle brush on a bike myself but I've certainly had bad experiences with a synthetic bristled brush (particularly noticeable on a white frame!).

Appropriate bike-cleaning brushes with natural bristles seem to be hard to find here though, based on some looking around that I've done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Aldi/Lidl sell brushes of many shapes and sizes at bargan prices, I have some from there for two years now and still work a treat, I think the cost €2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

stmochtas wrote: »
    Some of the question that I have pondered.

1. Some brushes, but which ones are good?
    2. What gets the wheels and rims all shiny and new again?

I've used jif/cif, wire wool, tin foil and emery paper over the years, but reckon soap and water is good enough if you're washing your rims after every ride.
    stmochtas wrote: »
    3. What should be used on the chain after cleaning it?

A dry rag and a bit of lube oil perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

Using a bike spray such as Muc-Off Bike Spray after a full wash/degrease might be worth checking out. I use it on a hybrid and find it helps to keep the bike cleaner for longer, and looking better than new...

Incidentally, I find Muc-Off bicycle cleaning and maintainance products in general to be quite good. They are available at Halfords, as that's where I got mine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adamtarbett

I would suggest Juice Lubes products, they make a de-greaser and bike wash - this degreaser can also be used as bike wash concentrate. The also make a full range of wet, dry and all condition lubes.

http://www.juicelubes.co.uk/

I have been using the Finish Line brush set on the road, cross country and downhill bike and seems to the job just fine with several brushes to reach several areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Toothbrush and a sponge is all I use really.

Along with a garden hose with one of those multi-head attachments. €2 from Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would suggest Juice Lubes products, they make a de-greaser and bike wash - this degreaser can also be used as bike wash concentrate. The also make a full range of wet, dry and all condition lubes.

http://www.juicelubes.co.uk/

I have been using the Finish Line brush set on the road, cross country and downhill bike and seems to the job just fine with several brushes to reach several areas.

Good to see you doing right by your sponsors. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Along with a garden hose with one of those multi-head attachments. €2 from Tesco.

That's all I use for the non-drivetrain bits of the bike too. I'm not obsessive about a few streaks (although the bike being black probably helps).

I like Fenwick's Foaming Degreaser on the chain and cogs. It's quick and does the job well. Good scrub with a (different) toothbrush, rinse off with hose and dry the chain with a rag.

Drop of lube in each link of the chain afterwards - don't use a spray. Wipe off excess lube with (another) rag. Maybe a bit of teflon spray for bolts and stuff around the bike that might be susceptible to rust after you're done with everything else.

It's quick enough but it's up there with hoovering the car in the "do I have to?" stakes. My 6 year old son is showing a healthy interest in my bike cleaning and I let him "help". If it wasn't for a slight concern about the damage his bony little fingers could do to my chainrings in the event of an accident, I'd just get him to do it all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

+1

I use diesel or even pertol to clean the chain every so often (need to be very careful not to get petrol near the hubs/BB though )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Mmm not sure what the wife cleans my bike with! (I'm usually having my recovery nap at the time) I must ask her when i get home. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I use citrus degreaser as it is biodegrabable (Chain Reaction have a few different brands), sponges, toothbrush, a chain cleaner and fairy liquid for the frame and wheels. Garden hose to rinse everything off and then Bike Lust polish to get my frame shiny again.

Advertisement