Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ferries/Tesco Points

Options
  • 29-10-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be going over to Holyhead in December, 2 of us travelling in a car under 1.90m high

Travelling out on Wed 1st Dec on the 20:55 Cruise Ferry

Coming back from Holyhead on Mon 6th on the 02:40 Cruise Ferry

If i just go in to book as normal, not using any promotion the price comes up at €223

If i want to use my Tesco Clubcard points then the price shoots up to €253!!

Are they allowed to do this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Are they allowed to do this?

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

snubbleste wrote: »
    yes.

Why??

You go into Tesco's with €10 of Clubcard vouchers to buy a DVD that's €9.99.

At the checkout you get charged €12 because you're using vouchers, this is exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do the Tesco clubcard points give you a voucher to pay with or do you have to book the trip through a separate site?

If you are just paying with vouchers, you may have gone wrong somewhere along the line or they could charge for using vouchers. (though not likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

scudzilla wrote: »
    Why??

You go into Tesco's with €10 of Clubcard vouchers to buy a DVD that's €9.99.

At the checkout you get charged €12 because you're using vouchers, this is exactly the same

That's also allowed. Why wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

Probably an admin cost as to book Irish Ferries using Tesco vouchers you have to first "book" the crossing by phone without paying and then send the necessary number of vouchers with your ref number to an address by post, where someone obviously has to spend some time sorting through the vouchers to make sure that they cover the full payment and then verifies your booking...ie, a lot more admin involvement than booking on the website. In reality it is no different than loads of other companies that have cheapest offers on website and are dearer when you buy by phone (Aer Lingus used to be like this and still may be)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Irish Ferries give an online booking discount and various other advance discounts. If you use clubcard tokens you don't get these discounts, I would imagine because Tesco are not giving IF the full cash value of the vouchers.

If you only have enough tokens to pay for part of the fare, you need to weigh up whether it is worth your while using them.

Advertisement