Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating bill who is responsible ??

Options
  • 29-10-2010 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am renting my apartment off a private landlord and i just have a quick question..

Ive been living here since june this year and we havent at all used the heating, when we tried putting it on it wouldnt work so a plumber came in and fixed it today.

Only thing is he said he dsaid we cant turn it off till monday till he comes back and fixes the stat.. Are we going to be responsible for this bill because i dont think we should be :cool:

What does everyone else think ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

I'm a landlord and as far as I'm concerned if there is a problem with anything in the house leaks faults etc, I pay for it. As far as I'm aware that's the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

endplate wrote: »
    I'm a landlord and as far as I'm concerned if there is a problem with anything in the house leaks faults etc, I pay for it. As far as I'm aware that's the norm.

Oh i understand that and he did send out a plumber to fix it.. but we cant knock it off till monday so should he be responsible for the bill too ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Your landlord should pay for the plumber. Maybe you could have a chat with him/her about the heating bill - he might be willing to pay half of it (given that you'd be using it anyway, though perhaps not to the same extent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

id expect the landlord to pay for that

Jagle wrote: »
    id expect the landlord to pay for that

I agree, ill have a chat with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I agree with convert speak to the LL about paying the majority share given that you'd be using it anyway, though perhaps not to the same extent. Take a meter reading now and take one once it's fixed, the bill explains how much your paying per unit so you can work out how much of the bill is a result of this fault.

ztoical wrote: »
    I agree with convert speak to the LL about paying the majority share given that you'd be using it anyway, though perhaps not to the same extent. Take a meter reading now and take one once it's fixed, the bill explains how much your paying per unit so you can work out how much of the bill is a result of this fault.

Thing is i cant take a meter reading..:rolleyes:

The whole building is supplied by one generator or something like that i really havent a clue.. and i dont think its bord gas i think its esb, there them electric radiators

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The whole building is supplied by one generator or something like that i really havent a clue.. and i dont think its bord gas i think its esb, there them electric radiators

So keep the rads off and your bill won't be effected that much....how are you going to work out how much the LL should pay of the heating bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Your apartment has to have a meter somewhere, otherwise it would be impossible to calculate how much your bills are, whether ESB, Bord Gais, Airtricity, etc. Ask the landlord or the management company where they are and tell them that you'd like to take a reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I am renting my apartment off a private landlord and i just have a quick question..

Ive been living here since june this year and we havent at all used the heating, when we tried putting it on it wouldnt work so a plumber came in and fixed it today.

Only thing is he said he dsaid we cant turn it off till monday till he comes back and fixes the stat.. Are we going to be responsible for this bill because i dont think we should be :cool:

What does everyone else think ???

:confused::confused::confused:

Why did the LL send a plumber for electric radiators?

If they are electric you can turn them off at the wall beside the heater. If you want to leave them on and they are storage heaters you can turn the input down too the lowest setting, they will only heat up on night rate electricity, 3 nights won't cost that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Oh i understand that and he did send out a plumber to fix it.. but we cant knock it off till monday so should he be responsible for the bill too ??

Oh sorry Kristyor123 I misread what you posted. Best bet is to explain to the landlord the situation if the LL wants you to be happy then they will come to some agreement with you. But if they are electric heaters than just follow what Del2005 has said

Advertisement