Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A problem with a painter

Options
  • 29-10-2010 4:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭

I have a house with is mostly white with black corner coins at the front, I recenctly hired a painter to paint the outside of my house while i was away.
    And to be honest he made a complete bóllóx of it, he must have put on heavy coats of white and painted the black corners at the same time, it rained and the paint ran everywhere on the front of the house, it ran onto the white uPVC windows and stained them. (a neighbour e-mailed me photos)
    As he never cleaned it off when he re-painted front again, and it was on too long and stained the uPVC.
    Some parts of the outside look like they only got one coat, and another part which is in a high area looks like it never got painted at all, he never removed an old TV cable off the wall when he said he would too

When a called him about all this he told me 'what can he do about the weather', and he do not object to the parts i claim where not painted or look like they got only one coat.
    I rang him again today the ask for money back, he told I was been a bóllóx, and hung up.

He got paid and didn't do the work as contracted.
    (ya I stupidly left the money for him when away, as he was recommended by a friend)

1) where do I stand when a contractor does not finished the job hired to do?
    2) Is he liable for the damage to the windows?
    3) Can I made a small claims court, claim?

:mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

Hi can anyone advise me on this please?

Follow the link, thanks

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056074517

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Interior Design...???? Moving thread

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Did he invoice you or was it cash?

If its cash you havent a hope, if you have paper to back up what you paid, ring him again and tell him your not happy with the job you wanted. Tell him if you don't get your money back or job is not put right the way you want then you will make a claim against him...

If you know where he lives send him a registered letter stating your not happy with the work and by a certain date if he doesnt come back and do the job properly then its the SCC.....

Edit....Take pictures with a disposable camera and get them developed because AFAIK digital photos won't stand up in court as they can be altered.

Goodluck...

mad m wrote: »
    Did he invoice you or was it cash?

If its cash you havent a hope, if you have paper to back up what you paid, ring him again and tell him your not happy with the job you wanted. Tell him if you don't get your money back or job is not put right the way you want then you will make a claim against him...

If you know where he lives send him a registered letter stating your not happy with the work and by a certain date if he doesnt come back and do the job properly then its the SCC.....

Edit....Take pictures with a disposable camera and get them developed because AFAIK digital photos won't stand up in court as they can be altered.

Goodluck...

Thanks, I can get the guys details off the guy who recommended him, photos were taken on digital, would he be liable for damage to the windows too? I already asked for money back and you can guess the reply

Of course he is liable for damage to windows..

Did he give you a written quote?

• Advertisement

mad m wrote: »
    Of course he is liable for damage to windows..

Did he give you a written quote?

No, but should that matter:confused:

scully74 wrote: »
    No, but should that matter:confused:

It matters alot Scully, its a paper trail that you can prove he gave you a price for the job your not happy with.

Did you get a receipt? If not then you have no proof....Its your word V's his...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

your neighbour didnt by any chance take a photo of him doing the job? you should never have left the money for him until you had seen the finished job.
    if you want to clean the paint off the p.v.c. window frames you could try putting some standard thinners on a rag and gently rubbing it into the frames.try a small piece first,perhaps on a back window or something.the thinners is usually fine on p.v.c. bit its better to be safe than sorry.we would do this to clean off splatters.
    hope you nail him,these cowboys make it harder for us professionals to get work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Post the pictures, it'll help us get the errrr picture!!!

Advertisement