Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescuing a dog?

Options
  • 29-10-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Am thinking of rescuing a dog from Barnhill kennels (sth dublin pound) just wondering if any boardsies have done the same and what fees etc are recquired,just so i can bring it with me.
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not familiar with that place but last time I took dogs out of the pound they looked for a dog licence for each dog, you might get neutering vouchers I think at the time (this is a couple of years back) I can't remember the fee but I think it was around the €20.00 mark was something very small anyway and depending on the pound you can sometimes get neutering vouchers.
    If you give them a quick ring they'll tell you whats needed.
    Good on you for thinking of taking on a rescue/poundie some lovely dogs desperate for homes.
    Good idea to have a lead handy and if you can guage the size of the dog a collar, no harm in having an id tag handy too just with your name, address and phn number on it, you don't need to put the dogs details on that can be done later like things like neutered/chipped etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I would say it's more than likely that you might have to make more than one trip and would advise on it anyway. If you are interested in a dog take it out for a walk and sleep on it. If you can borrow a child somewhere I'd take one with you on a second visit. You may not have kids yourself but it's still important to get an idea of how the dog will be around them. Another point is that the dog may be having a good or bad day and a second vist will give you a better overall idea of the temprament of the dog. By this time the dog should be somewhat more familiar with you as well and will help with settling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Afaik it's about €37.50. That includes a release fee and a licence. However the dog will not be neutered or vaccinated unless it was done before it came to the pound so you will have to factor in those costs as well. Children are not allowed in the pound for insurance reasons and you will not be allowed to take the dog out for a walk for the same reason.

You will have to go to the pound in person and book your dog and then go back to pick it up when it's time is up.

Give the pound a ring on 01 8026676 and they'll tell you what you need to bring with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Thanks guys,it was closed yesterday when i needed the info,cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

No bother, the phone is manned between 9 and 4 and opening hours are 2-4pm weekdays and 11-1pm on Saturdays.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Toulouse wrote: »
    Afaik it's about €37.50. That includes a release fee and a licence. However the dog will not be neutered or vaccinated unless it was done before it came to the pound so you will have to factor in those costs as well. Children are not allowed in the pound for insurance reasons and you will not be allowed to take the dog out for a walk for the same reason.

You will have to go to the pound in person and book your dog and then go back to pick it up when it's time is up.

Give the pound a ring on 01 8026676 and they'll tell you what you need to bring with you.

I can understand for insurance reasons they don't want a load of children running around the pound or you taking a dog out for a walk and losing it, but how exactly are you supposed to know if the dog is for you if you cannot bring a child in to see how it reacts with children or bring it for a walk to see how it behaves on a lead. Do they even have a yard where you could at least bring the dog outside?

Irish pounds really are a joke. :rolleyes: It's about time we started neutering & m'chipping the dogs that leave, makes sense on both a welfare and economical level, neutering & m'chipping = less stray dogs and more dogs re-united quicker = less dogs actually in the pound and less time spent in pound = less money spent kenneling and feeding the dogs, not to mention the huge benefit of less dogs being pts'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Toulouse wrote: »
    Children are not allowed in the pound for insurance reasons and you will not be allowed to take the dog out for a walk for the same reason.

That's not the case in all pounds though. When we got Oz in Ashton there was a couple there with their dog and child. They all headed off for a walk in the field. We brought Oz and several other dogs for a walk that day. Spent about 2 hours there.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

TillyGirl wrote: »
    That's not the case in all pounds though. When we got Oz in Ashton there was a couple there with their dog and child. They all headed off for a walk in the field. We brought Oz and several other dogs for a walk that day. Spent about 2 hours there.

yeah a lot of pounds let kids and other dogs in. suppose it depends on manager

Advertisement