Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken Lens

• 29-10-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

So the only useful piece of gear I own, my 50mm 1.4 is broken :(

Tried to use it today and it wont focus, auto or manually. In auto you can hear it trying to focus but the distance indicator doesn't move and the focal point doesn't change. I can hear something rattling around inside it. I used it last week and don't remember knocking or bumping it at all.

What are my options now? Can I send off to Canon for a replacement / repair (lens is 9 months old), or can somewhere in town repair it?

Cheers.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

There's a forum member on here that repairs lens...zerohamster is the user name iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Jim wrote: »
    Can I send off to Canon for a replacement / repair (lens is 9 months old), or can somewhere in town repair it?

It should be under warranty. Where did you buy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

hbr wrote: »
    It should be under warranty. Where did you buy it?
    Amazon.co.uk. Still have the box etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

should be able to send it back to canon, maybe check their website for support info and warrenty repairs

http://www.canon.ie/Support/Consumer_Products/Telephone_Numbers/telephone_numbers.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

You should be ok then. Give Canon a call to arrange repair or
    replacement. I assume "box etc." includes the receipt or
    some other proof of purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

AS Hbr said it should be under warranty (1 year) unless it was a grey import shipped from hong kong. Usually you can deal with Canon on these matters directly as Amazon will probably just delay the process further and you will have to ship it to someone so the cost wont really be any less to do so unless amazon cover those costs(?).

Make sure that your receipt that you got with the lens is available as you will need this as canon dont accept paypal receipts as far as I know but you could ring to make sure.

If somehow it is not covered by warranty then I do repairs if you were interested.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

If you bought it directly from Amazon and not from a third-party seller, I would suggest giving Amazon customer service a call. I know they send couriers to collect items that arrive in a faulty condition. They may do the same for you. They often outright replace items...worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cheers for the replies guys. Gonna give both places a ring and see what I can get.

Advertisement