Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just bought Vista for PC with no current OS**

• 29-10-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Im getting a custom computer online for Xmas and it will have no OS installed.

I just bought Vista off someone today , it has on the box in red "Upgrade".

Does this mean I can only install Vista on a PC with a current OS ..?

Help..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

LpPepper wrote: »
    Im getting a custom computer online for Xmas and it will have no OS installed.

I just bought Vista off someone today , it has on the box in red "Upgrade".

Does this mean I can only install Vista on a PC with a current OS ..?

Help..?
    Yes, that is what it means.
    Also, dont put vista on the PC.
    Try buy a copy of Win 7 or failing that (depending on what your needs are) you could just get a copy of Ubuntu to put on the PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Crap ,

I'd buy Win7 but its a bit pricey for me at the moment ...

Someone on the net mentioned that if you install Vista , then refuse to enter the product key which in turn puts it into its 30 day trial mode , THEN enter the product key and re-install vista it'll work.. any idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Now it depends on how skilled you are, you can download a Vista recovery or start-up disk [cut the disk as an ISO] run recovery and then install the Vista Upgrade.

Buy an OEM Windows 7 [student edition]

And Unbuntu is pretty neat too. You'll need similar PC skills for the Unbuntu download and ISO burning. Actually it's worth getting this anyway as you can run it from a CD/DVD just to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

LpPepper wrote: »
    Again thats the "upgrade" edition

this might help with the upgrade install problems

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp

I've already spent €40 on vista , But i'e found this link - http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

That should work , hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Just put in the disk, you can clean install from an upgrade disk on vista and w7.

Vista is fine.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55806678&postcount=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,268 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

given the choice for a clean build though, i'd pick 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Agreed, but he just bought vista :o

Trying to make him feel better :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I must be the only person that thought Vista was grand.

Admittedly, Win7 is better (though it's referred to as Version 6.1.7600), but I had no real issue with Vista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,268 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

byte wrote: »
    I must be the only person that thought Vista was grand.

Admittedly, Win7 is better (though it's referred to as Version 6.1.7600), but I had no real issue with Vista.
    It was, but for some reason I still bought 7 for the laptop. I dont know why. But it was almost a year before my new PC. Else I wouldnt have bothered. I just wanted to keep using 7 because I had been on the Release Candidate for half a year before that. If you're going from XP to Vista, it's different, but once you've learned it you'll never go off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

To be honest if I was buying a PC with no OS, Ubuntu would be straight on it!
    Have a look at it. You might be pleasantly surprised :)

Not to mention the fact that you will never have to buy anti virus software and every piece of software you will ever want is FREE...

http://www.ubuntu.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Ubuntu is good and all , but what if he wants to play all the latest games and such....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ubuntu is good and all , but what if he wants to play all the latest games and such....

Yep, Ubuntu is not for Everyone but to be fair for a good 75% of the public Ubuntu would be perfectly adequate with a little bit of a learning curve.

Browsing the internet - fully supported.
    Listening to Music/watching videos - Fully supported.
    Creating "office" documents - Fully supported.
    Uploading and viewing photos - Fully supported.

Using software that only works on windows is the only thing not supported out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

The only thing that Linux is not good at is playing games. That is all.

If you want to run a Windows application within Ubuntu. Just use Wine. (It's in the Ubuntu Software Center)

But going back on topic.

If you are not planning to do MAJOR work (as in photo editing or Video producing and you are only using it for office work) Vista alright.

But imo, I would follow some of the guys here and go with a Windows 7 upgrade and you could always dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows too see how you like Ubuntu and whether it fits your needs.

It's all down to your needs on what you are planning to do. Test each OS (Vista, 7 and Ubuntu) for say about a month each and then you will know yourself what you are going to need etc etc etc (more blabber on how things work better in one OS than another)

*phew*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Or if you are feeling a bit adventurous!. Build a Hackintosh!

http://basshead.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/snow-leopard-on-hackintosh-guide/

Snow Leopard is around 20 bucks, works a treat as long as your hardware is supported :)

Advertisement