Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A list of €1250 - €1500 Hard Tails.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

The new on one carbon whippet looks very tasty at £1000. Paul's cycles is worth a look , some nice giants with big discounts there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

i just got an on one summer season 456 frame. its slick seriosly i could check out on one very good value either makin your own or off the shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

Ah, never heard of the 'on one' brand. Looking at them now. They look pretty sweet.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOCAR456TRAIL/on-one-carbon-456-trail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Barrya

of the bikes on your list, i would say the canyon is the best bike. Frame quality aside, (I have never ridden any of the frames on your list so I can't comment) the components on the canyon are a cut above with a good fork, wheelset and brakes, the things i find affect the quality of my ride the most.

that would be my choice for a short travel hard tail.

Barrya wrote: »
    of the bikes on your list, i would say the canyon is the best bike. Frame quality aside, (I have never ridden any of the frames on your list so I can't comment) the components on the canyon are a cut above with a good fork, wheelset and brakes, the things i find affect the quality of my ride the most.

that would be my choice for a short travel hard tail.

I've been looking at the Canyon for a while now al right. What do you think of the On One Carbon 456 Barrya?. It looks very, very nice. They are getting amazing write ups.

As i use some road surfaces, I sometimes do 4-5k round the block some evenings, Would the 'On One' be good for that, with it having such a huge fork travel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Barrya

hmmm looks nice indeed, but then you have to decide if you want a carbon or alu frame, or a shorter or longer travel bike/fork. after a quick glance, i venture the canyon has better specs than the carbon 456 trail, which is the one in your price range i think.

the carbon 456 and canyon are two different animals it seems. i have never ridden a carbon mtb, and am not sure if i want to since i am neither a racer overly concerned with power transfer nor a weight weenie. but then again, i am sure that people who have one say they would never go back. same with people who ride 29ers.

good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

this is a question on my mind too :) Canyon is the standout for me. But I've always felt that if you're buying a bike, you expect stuff to break. So buy the best frame you could afford, because the rest will fall off and need upgrading eventually

/subscribes to thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

You couldnt go too far wrong with one of the Focus' listed here - a little more than your budget but twice the bike than most of whet you have listed......

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/1630392

uberwolf wrote: »
    this is a question on my mind too :) Canyon is the standout for me. But I've always felt that if you're buying a bike, you expect stuff to break. So buy the best frame you could afford, because the rest will fall off and need upgrading eventually

/subscribes to thread.

Very good point! I am a little paranoid about the lifespan of a carbon frame. It sounds very appealing but the first sign of trouble would be regrettable. Just been doing some research on it and I believe the On One can suffer from chain damage, one rider getting down to the fibres! The other thing is if you crash, one have a big chance of a snap. New frame after crash is 50% at On One. The Canyon is still my favorite. Like you said. Strong light frame can last forever and the stuff around it can evolve. And with me using on road a few times a week the Canyon is probably best choice atm.

Why do they never sell pedals with the bikes! lol

Thanks uberwolf. V Helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

what about the trek 6 hardtail

would you not go for a la Pierre x-control or a zesty?

• Advertisement

angry_fox wrote: »
    what about the trek 6 hardtail

would you not go for a la Pierre x-control or a zesty?

I like that Trek.. Seems everyone has one though. Want something different. Saw a homeless man walking down the street with a ****ty old Trek yesterday, lol, kinda looses the magic factor after that...

I'll take a look. Do you have links to any in particular with the others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

HI,

My mate has a KTM RaceCross for his hardtail comes with mostly SLX groupset and comes in around €1200. He knows what he is on about and really rates it.

Classy looking bike that you dont see too often.

Adrian

HI,

My mate has a KTM RaceCross for his hardtail comes with mostly SLX groupset and comes in around €1200. He knows what he is on about and really rates it.

Classy looking bike that you dont see too often.

Adrian

Wow, very, very nice looking bike, nice frame. Can't even see the weld work! Looks like a 29r? I would be very interested in to where your freind got that bike now. Some parts of the site are under construction for 2011 stock...

Looking forward to mulling over that in the morning. Thanks Adrian!

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/en/mountain/race/hardtail-alu/Racecross.php

edit. mmmmmmm in ireland too.!! Waterford. Not too far from Portlaoise eh?

Put in Ireland for dealers and it came up with this. They sell it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=altitude,+28+Ballybricken,waterford,+ireland&sll=52.259188,-7.115557&sspn=0.009969,0.014055&ie=UTF8&hq=altitude,&hnear=28+Ballybricken,+Waterford,+County+Waterford,+Ireland&ll=52.260041,-7.118561&spn=0.007486,0.022724&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.260037,-7.118567&panoid=RlME4JNSUS46EO_8KwZZ0Q&cbp=12,289.99,,0,1.73

Barbut Ltd
    22 Ballybricken
    Waterford
    SHOW ON MAP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Nope its at 26inch, I'm not a hardtail fan myself but he rides that and a Cannondale Prophecy for the also and he has done pretty much everything on the KTM that most use Full sus bikes for.

As I said I pref to ride my big full sus but there is no deinying how sexy and classy the ktm is. Most unlikely you will see too many of them about.

His is this color

RaceCross_48_WhiteTeamor.jpg

Looks like this is the 2011 line up version. €1699

http://www.ktm-bikes.at/de/mountain/race/hardtail-alu/Racecross.php

bit of a hike in price from 2010...

Struggling to find a source that sells them though.

The Canyon is still ahead in terms of equip. They are even the same weight and the frames are almost identical. Under close inspection there is hardly anything between the 1699 KTM and the 1499 Canyon AL8. Canyon being the easiest to order cheaper with better support.

DHFrame wrote: »
    I like that Trek.. Seems everyone has one though. Want something different. Saw a homeless man walking down the street with a ****ty old Trek yesterday, lol, kinda looses the magic factor after that...

I'll take a look. Do you have links to any in particular with the others?

Here is a link to the x-control 310 this a 2010 model but is a great deal

The zestys are all over €2,000

If you looking for a rare enough hard tail in ireland how about a transAM or a cove stiffee. (stiffee is more for downhill)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

So glad I started this thread. Some really nice stuff being posted! Some real amazing stuff to research over the coming months. Bikes available in Ireland are massively appealing. Just a case of driving there.

DHFrame wrote: »
    So glad I started this thread. Some really nice stuff being posted! Some real amazing stuff to research over the coming months. Bikes available in Ireland are massively appealing. Just a case of driving there.

There is some great choices out there, but if you have the money never mind a hard tail just buy this beauty :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Chainreaction have 25% off Cube's at the moment, great deals to be had...

• Advertisement
Advertisement