Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Specialized vita 2011???

• 29-10-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to bikes.

At the moment I'm using a rusty old MTB to get to work but I want to get a new bike both for work and weekends.

After much deliberation, I've decided to choose a hybrid over a road bike because of the crappy roads and a hybrid could still get me up a hill anyway right?
    (Also I believe I would have more control over flat handle bars than drop ones when I'm weaving through traffic)

So I just wanted to get you guys opinions on this bike? http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/12525/specialized-vita-2011-medium/

Try as I have, I can't figure out what half of it means. All I know is I want a bike that is closer to a road bike than a MTB. Very low budget of €400 also.

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

bambera wrote: »
    After much deliberation, I've decided to choose a hybrid over a road bike because of the crappy roads and a hybrid could still get me up a hill anyway right?

A road bike is perfect for the roads. I've ridden the length, breadth and even a lap of the country on one. They really are fine, honestly, I'm not kidding, for real.
    (Also I believe I would have more control over flat handle bars than drop ones when I'm weaving through traffic)

Someone somewhere invented this myth. I'm really not sure why.
    So I just wanted to get you guys opinions on this bike? http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/product/12525/specialized-vita-2011-medium/

The bike is fine, buy it if you like it, but not for the two reasons I've quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

€400 is not going to buy much of a new road bike, so the drop bar vs hybrid discussion is a bit moot unless you go used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Yep, seeing as you are a novice, the Hybrid would be perfect, it will smooth out those bumpy Irish roads, it will give you a smooth comfortable ride, and the straight handlebars would suit a novice better as the gears and brakes are easily engaged. €400 would get you a good hybrid but not a good road bike. The road bike would better suit somebody who really wants to get from A to B much quicker and who would have much better bike handling skills, especially in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This whole "hybrids are better in traffic" thing is pure nonsense. A Dubin Bike is a hybrid, and slicing through traffic on one of those things is quite difficult.

What you want for traffic is manouverability, lightness (within reason), good brakes and handlebars no wider than your shoulders/hips.

Also, the OP isn't a "novice", since s/he is already commuting on a MTB. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Lumen wrote: »
    Also, the OP isn't a "novice", since s/he is already commuting on a MTB. :)

It's a rusty old thing. Bought it for college years ago. Looking back now, can't believe the shop that sold it to me suggested a MTB (didn't even know there were different types of bikes back then:rolleyes:) considering I used to have to cycle up the Greenhills RD. on it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hey,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to bikes.

At the moment I'm using a rusty old MTB to get to work but I want to get a new bike both for work and weekends.

Try as I have, I can't figure out what half of it means. All I know is I want a bike that is closer to a road bike than a MTB. Very low budget of €400 also.

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way.

I prefer my mountain bike for commuting over my road bike for the reasons you list. I do have slicks and a rigid fork fitted so its pretty much like a hybrod anyway.

The bike you've linked to is nice although I wouldn't get to hung up on a womens specific design as its generally just a wider saddle which most shops will put on a gents bike anyway.

I prefer this one and is at your budget, plenty of sizes available to get a good fit:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=36597

Advertisement