Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United V Tottenham ESPN 5:30

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I think Spurs fans need to look at Gomes and not complain about the Ref, maybe if it wasn't at Old Trafford they might.

I rate Gomes but i don't think its the first time he has messed up for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

d22ontour wrote: »
    You think he will answer that ? :pac:
    #15 wrote: »
    No point, you're going to get conspiracy theory rubbish back.

Just enjoy the seething fury.

We can only try. If they dont answer questions then I just give up. 3 points deservedly in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Essien wrote: »
    Its better than being a guest

last time i checked we were sitting at the top table !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

BERBA wrote: »

Yeah, but everyone else at the table was making fun of your attempt to squeeze into that pretty little dress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Feeding off the scraps after united, chelsea, arsenal and probably man city;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

What impressed me most with United was their CM that looks like its slowly getting back into the groove . .

Conceding those late goals was as much uniteds inability to control midfield as it was defencive frailties . . Hopefully this win will give them a bit of a boost to go on a good run . .

With Chelsea winning games they dont deserve to win, its going to be tough to overhaul them . . United built their success on winning games they didnt deserve (of course United were always cheating/lucky etc :rolleyes:) and that is usually what seperates champions from finishing 2nd.

United cant make anymore mistakes . .

Archimedes wrote: »
    Yeah, but everyone else at the table was making fun of you're attempt to squeeze into that pretty little dress.

it'll be another day out as the bridesmaid again this year me thinks or maybe not if ye get mark clattenberg to ref yere remaining 28 games;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

How could he disallow the goal though?

If he saw Nani handle it, and decided to play on and give spurs the advantage of the keeper being able to kick it quick from his hands, how can he disallow the goal 15 seconds later just because Gomes f'ed it up?

Once the free wasn't given for Nani handling it, the rest is up to Gomes.

Well I'm not a ref or an expert by any means so I don't know if he can disallow a goal at that stage or not, my point is he didn't seem to act on the handball incident and that left the lino and Gomes to assume that it was a free when it actually wasn't, in turn leading Gomes to believe he could safely put the ball on the ground.
    I'm not saying it wasn't ultimitely Gomes' fault, he should never assume what he did, but I think the ref ****ed up initially, maybe he didn't signal the advantage clearly to the keeper or something. Judging from lino's reaction he though it was a free also, so Gomes wasn't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

whats the point in being the bridesmaid ?

Challenging for titles, while undoubtedly an alien concept to a Tottenham fan, is nonetheless the bare minimum expected at Manchester United, yes.

No United fan was happy last season with second place. Every single Spurs fan wet themselves with excitement at making fourth.

Therein lies the difference my pedigree chum, between those that consistently achieve and those content to sometimes achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Well I'm not a ref or an expert by any means so I don't know if he can disallow a goal at that stage or not, my point is he didn't seem to act on the handball incident and that left the lino and Gomes to assume that it was a free when it actually wasn't, in turn leading Gomes to believe he could safely put the ball on the ground.
    I'm not saying it wasn't ultimitely Gomes' fault, he should never assume what he did, but I think the ref ****ed up initially, maybe he didn't signal the advantage clearly to the keeper or something. Judging from lino's reaction he though it was a free also, so Gomes wasn't the only one.

The lino did not assume it was a free, if he did he would have waved the flag when Nani kicked the ball. The lino knew no free kick had been given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

Here's a vid for all to argue over.

It's a crap goal, I just can't figure out why the ref didn't blow up or why Gomes moved so far from incident area. Not a great way to end the game.

Feeding off the scraps after united, chelsea, arsenal and probably man city;)

whatever about chelski and utd , arsenal? who havent won a trophy for 5 years? and city? ..city???gimme a break. They playing fflysgerheklmgdfd next thurday night arent they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

My problem is with the ref. Surely at some point (whether he saw it himself or was informed by the lino) he was aware Nani handled the ball, how he doesn't award a free out or disallow the goal is beyond me. He's gona have some explaining to do

This is exactly my opinion, when it comes to the big decisions the likes of Clattenburg just ignore these incidents as it means they have to make BIG decisions. It was a stonewall peno for Nani, which was ignored. then he ignored the clear dive a few moments later from Nani which in normal play should warrant a yellow card (if of course the first incident had not happend of course, which it did) and then the deliberate handball by Nani on the ground trying to make the referee at least acknowledge his peno claim. All three incidents were ignored and would hardly be talked about if the game finished one nil which it clearly would have as Spurs were simply getting nothing out of that game.

Then Gomes decides to play his own 'make the referee mind up' moment and stupidly places a ball down for a free out when he had no right to as no free kick was given. Nani capitilises and for once a referee's stance of ignoring everything that had gone on before is suddeny an issue. Add to all this a linesman who clearly either a) put his flag up as he presumed a kick was given out and if so should be in more trouble than Clattenburg will be with the FA during the week or b) put his flag up to offer the ref an opt out by giving a peno for the first offense or the cowardly decision of given the easy free out and yellow card for Nani's handball on the ground. Either he wanted to compund things by given a free out, or do the right thing and declare a peno. A peno would have been the 'fair' decision, however considering how cheeky Gomes was (and he seems to be getting away laregly blameless in all this) I am glad the goal was given as he cannot simply take the law into his own hands like that, and neither can Nani by handballing on the ground, even if it was a peno, its not up to him to decide this.

Perry Groves "Ok, so if players think its a free to them and the ref doesnt blow the whistle, is it ok for players to start stopping games and giving themselves free's? In games refs miss plenty of incidents that are probabley free's, players cant decide what is and isnt a free. You are teached to play to the whistle when you start kicking a ball, Gomez can only blame himself" . .

flahavaj wrote: »
    Challenging for titles, while undoubtedly an alien concept to a Tottenham fan, is nonetheless the bare minimum expected at Manchester United, yes.

No United fan was happy last season with second place. Every single Spurs fan wet themselves with excitement at making fourth.

Therein lies the difference my pedigree chum, between those that consistently achieve and those content to sometimes achieve.

as i said many times on here before , its easy to follow a winning team, start in 99 flahav? , at least that cant be said of yours truly.

as i said many times on here before , its easy to follow a winning team, start in 99 flahav? , at least that cant be said of yours truly.

Have a chat with Gomes about assuming things.

1988 actually. Not exactly a fun time for a young lad to take up the United colours I can tell you.

Lamer stuff than usual BERBA tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

That's pretty weak.We won two doubles before 99. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

If the linesman thought it was a free kick , he would a flagged the minute Nani strikes the ball , He didn't , He only rises the flag after Gomez run at him about 6 seconds after Nani hit the ball .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

whatever about chelski and utd , arsenal? who havent won a trophy for 5 years? and city? ..city???gimme a break. They playing fflysgerheklmgdfd next thurday night arent they?

Arsenal are a cut above Spurs, to be fair.

• Advertisement

Neither the referee or the linesman signalled anything for handball. Nani scored, and starts celebrating, then the linesman flags. The referee goes over and hear's what the linesman has to say.

"It's not a goal, Gomes hadn't taken the free."
    "What free?"
    "Did you not award a free?"
    "No, did you flag for one?"
    "No.."
    "Right, so neither of us thought it was a free out for Spurs."
    "Oh right, so then Gomes is at fault for assuming?"
    "Pretty much. Legit goal to United then."
    "Agreed"

End of.

Epic thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

1988 actually. Not exactly a fun time for a young lad to take up the United colours I can tell you.

utd finished second in 88

This is exactly my opinion, when it comes to the big decisions the likes of Clattenburg just ignore these incidents as it means they have to make BIG decisions. It was a stonewall peno for Nani, which was ignored. then he ignored the clear dive a few moments later from Nani which in normal play should warrant a yellow card (if of course the first incident had not happend of course, which it did) and then the deliberate handball by Nani on the ground trying to make the referee at least acknowledge his peno claim. All three incidents were ignored and would hardly be talked about if the game finished one nil which it clearly would have as Spurs were simply getting nothing out of that game.

Then Gomes decides to play his own 'make the referee mind up' moment and stupidly places a ball down for a free out when he had no right to as no free kick was given. Nani capitilises and for once a referee's stance of ignoring everything that had gone on before is suddeny an issue. Add to all this a linesman who clearly either a) put his flag up as he presumed a kick was given out and if so should be in more trouble than Clattenburg will be with the FA during the week or b) put his flag up to offer the ref an opt out by giving a peno for the first offense or the cowardly decision of given the easy free out and yellow card for Nani's handball on the ground. Either he wanted to compund things by given a free out, or do the right thing and declare a peno. A peno would have been the 'fair' decision, however considering how cheeky Gomes was (and he seems to be getting away laregly blameless in all this) I am glad the goal was given as he cannot simply take the law into his own hands like that, and neither can Nani by handballing on the ground, even if it was a peno, its not up to him to decide this.

Great post, really sums up how farcical it was.

Arsenal are a cut above Spurs, to be fair.

they play pretty football but lose at home to west brom ...sums up the goons last 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Well I'm not a ref or an expert by any means so I don't know if he can disallow a goal at that stage or not, my point is he didn't seem to act on the handball incident and that left the lino and Gomes to assume that it was a free when it actually wasn't
    Have you ever played football? Keeper here didnt play the whistle, schoolboy error. Goal is perfectly legitimate as per the rules of the game.

rossie1977 wrote: »

Those were the days :(

they play pretty football but lose at home to west brom ...sums up the goons last 5 years

Well, no, in this particular argument - Arsenal being a cut above Spurs - I would have thought finishing above Spurs sums up Arsenal for the last 5 years.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    If the linesman thought it was a free kick , he would a flagged the minute Nani strikes the ball , He didn't , He only rises the flag after Gomez run at him about 6 seconds after Nani hit the ball .

alot of people seem to be making up what happened . . Some say the ref definitely blew for a free out, others say the linesman had his flag up for a free out before the goal was scored . . Some even say that they saw fergie hand Clattenburg a brown paper bag before the game . .

Theres only one explanation . . .

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

• Advertisement

4 Mins to reach the net WOW ,well played.

Lamer stuff than usual BERBA tbh.

they finished 2nd that year as pointed out , not a fun time? told ye it was easy to follow the winning team! you should know flahavaj:D

Yet they're still a notch above Spurs.

Arsenal have reached a CL final in the last 5 years. That's a different world to the one Spurs inhabit.

they finished 2nd that year as pointed out , not a fun time? told ye it was easy to follow the winning team! you should know flahavaj:D

Its just so full of win that you see 2nd as being winning.

The first time I remember any soccer registering with me was Euro 88. The aul lad when he wasn't bayting GAA into me had an affinity for United because of Georgie Best so I was a United fan from then on as well. There were a few lean years of getting jeered by Liverpool fans before the tables turned for good in the early 90's I can tell you. I think they finished 9th or something the first season I had any concept of an English league.

Not that it makes a difference tbh, the aul "I deserve a medal because I support a team that wasn't doing well when I was in primary school" argument is pretty lame. How can you jeer someone for a choice they made when they were 5 r 6 FFS?
    they finished 2nd that year as pointed out , not a fun time? told ye it was easy to follow the winning team! you should know flahavaj

See the above. Also its remarkable how United coming 2nd is a good thing when it suits your argument but its also doing badly when it suits. You're some craic BERBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

4 Mins to reach the net WOW ,well played.

some of us have memories

• Advertisement

some of us have memories
    Indeed.
    For some, that's all they have.

Yet they're still a notch above Spurs.

Arsenal have reached a CL final in the last 5 years. That's a different world to the one Spurs inhabit.

no point reaching the final if they not gonna come back with the trophy , just ask chelski all about that in russia or maybe ask JT even

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

And what age do you think he was then, most people who support teams have been brought up supporting them, I was brought up supporting united and I hope for your sake you were brought up supporting spurs cause otherwise I'd be questioning your mental capacity!

no point reaching the final if they not gonna come back with the trophy , just ask chelski all about that in russia or maybe ask JT even

No, but it still means they're a level above Spurs doesn't it?

And yet you support Spurs continued participation in the league and their current participation in the CL?

Sure what's the point? Not like they're gonna win anything either.

• Advertisement

some of us have memories

Would that be more to do with who came first ?:):mad:

Archimedes wrote: »
    And yet you support Spurs continued participation in the league and their current participation in the CL?

Sure what's the point? Not like they're gonna win anything either.

I think the blood supply to his brain got cut off squeezing into that dress tbh.

I think the blood supply to his brain got cut off squeezing into that dress tbh.

*Sigh*

There's always that one muffin top that puts you off your meal!

Would that be more to do with who came first ?:):mad:

Slightly off topic...

How teh fook is a text sig too big ? :confused:

Also i want to respond to your post but nein11 material aint allowed outside of there. :D

Also its remarkable how United coming 2nd is a good thing when it suits your argument but its also doing badly when it suits. You're some craic BERBA.

i bet it was a flip of a coin that year as to whether you were gonna follow Pool ( eventual winners) or Utd ( runners up ) seeing as it was a 2 horse race and pool finished 9 pts clears of utd and utd 8 clear of forest.

thank god that coin fell on utd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

BERBA,

What year did you start supporting Spurs?

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    BERBA,

He started supporting them when he was 6 years old.

So that would be 2009.

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    BERBA,

i bet it was a flip of a coin that year as to whether you were gonna follow Pool ( eventual winners) or Utd ( runners up ) seeing as it was a 2 horse race and pool finished 9 pts clears of utd and utd 8 clear of forest.

digging-a-hole.jpg

2325920887_b206236832.jpg?v=0

Man give it up. :pac:

Even if it was the flip of a coin so what? You're working under the assumption that I think a kid of five or six wanting to support a good team is somehow wrong or worth you going to the effort of arguing on the internet about.

I don't and its not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement