Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United V Tottenham ESPN 5:30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

mangaroosh wrote: »
    If he was playing advantage, it became abundantly clear that no advantage had been accrued, so he should have brought play back for the free-kick, or the penalty, but seeing as how he adjudged it not to have been a penalty, but by his own admission adjudged it to have been handball (hence the "advantage") it should have been a free-kick to spurs.

He did have the advantage, he had the ball in his hands. How many advantages does he get before his safety net kicks in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Fuhrer wrote: »
    He did inform the players, if it was a Free Kick he would have blown his whistle. He didnt so they should have played on.

He then went to the linesman and didn't make it clear he was playing advantage.

He basically said as much, how can you argue with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Paleface

I just watched this again and for me when Gomes is looking at Clattenburg trying to get an indication of what's going all he gets as a response is a shrug of the shoulders. That's not good refereeing. He should be waving play on. His decision shouldn't be a secret to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Paleface wrote: »
    I just watched this again and for me when Gomes is looking at Clattenburg trying to get an indication of what's going all he gets as a response is a shrug of the shoulders. That's not good refereeing. He should be waving play on. His decision shouldn't be a secret to anyone.

The referee is 100% to blame and knows it himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

How do you come to that conclusion - the linesman provided no new information to the ref, so why would he change his decision - this isn't the Scottish League...

Having initially awarded the goal, it was only really after talking to the linesman that he could have overruled his own initial decision - realistically

He did have the advantage, he had the ball in his hands. How many advantages does he get before his safety net kicks in?

It subsequently became obvious that he believed it was a free-kick, this was in no small part due to the referees lack of communication. So while he had the ball in his hands he had a perceived advantage, but because he thought it was a free, there was no actual advantage accrued.

The goal was awarded, which Clattenburg thought was fair, because he possibly did not realise that Gomes thought it was a free.

After talking to the linesman, he then had a choice, disallow the goal, because no advantage accrued, or award it, because he had not blown for a free.

If he was, as he claimed, playing advantage, then at that point, when it was clear no actual advantage had been gained, he should have brought it back for a free-kick.

It is entirely a question of the referees personal opinion. Does he think that Spurs got an advantage? Initially he may have thought yes, but when it was clear that they hadn't it should have been a free.

Paleface wrote: »

I think the problem is that, in Clattenburgs mind he hadn't blown for the free, so he was allowing play to continue, when Gomes looked to him for a signal, Clattenburg was wondering what he was looking for. Which is fair enough, but he should still have indicated clearly.

The problem arises when he consults the linesman. He claims that he was playing advantage. At that point he can ask the question, was an advantage gained? The answer is no. So he should have brought it back for a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

To me it looks like Gomez wanted to kick the ball out but hesitated because no Spurs player was making themself available to him. Then he decided to take a free kick, which he's not really in his right to make that decision. And even when Nani stood over the ball and looked around to see what he should do next, Gomez should have just hopped on the ball.

This was a freak situation that could have been avoided if Gomez had just kicked the ball out.

Personally, as a United fan, I have no problem with the validity of the goal, but I would prefer for it not to have been given just to avoid all this stupid arguing. It has taken away from what was a pretty good game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

To me it looks like Gomez wanted to kick the ball out but hesitated because no Spurs player was making themself available to him. Then he decided to take a free kick, which he's not really in his right to make that decision. And even when Nani stood over the ball and looked around to see what he should do next, Gomez should have just hopped on the ball.
    This was a freak situation that could have been avoided if Gomez had just kicked the ball out.

Personally, as a United fan, I have no problem with the validity of the goal, but I would prefer for it not to have been given just to avoid all this stupid arguing. It has taken away from what was a pretty good game.

Yep, 100 % agree.

I'm not bothered about the controversy, it'll always happen. I can't wait for a winning goal that is actually unjust. SF meltdown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

He claims that he was playing advantage. At that point he can ask the question, was an advantage gained? The answer is no. So he should have brought it back for a free.

The advantage Gomez received was being allowed to clear the ball and counter attack without the game being held up. Do the team have to string together a few passes and move 40 yards up the field before it's deemed they have received an advantage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

lordgoat wrote: »
    Yep, 100 % agree.

I'm not bothered about the controversy, it'll always happen. I can't wait for a winning goal that is actually unjust. SF meltdown!

There's been plenty such cases, nothing is impossible where refereeing is concerned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The advantage Gomez received was being allowed to clear the ball and counter attack without the game being held up. Do the team have to string together a few passes and move 40 yards up the field before it's deemed they have received an advantage?

But he didn't clear the ball because the referee didn't signal to him that he was playing advantage. Yes, he should have played the whistle, especially with Nani around, but he assumed that the handball had been called and that Nani couldn't touch the ball (or that if he did, Gomes would get the advantage) so he put it down for a free kick.

There was too much ambiguity in the whole passage of play that surely, when it boils down to it, Spurs should have been able to take more than a conceeded goal away from it seeing as the offence was committed against them?

Again this is all a little pointless anyway as it wouldn't have made much of a difference - Spurs were unlikely to score at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I dunno if its been posted before or old news but the spurs fans song to nani was funny - your just a shiit Michael Jackson :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Results for the Spurs match....

Man United fan and Overall Man of the Match

1. Nani
    2. Rafael.
    3. Vidic

Non-United fan Man of the Match

1. Nani.
    2. Fletcher
    3. Rafael and Vidic.

Results for the Spurs match....

Man United fan and Overall Man of the Match

1. Nani
    2. Rafael.
    3. Vidic

Non-United fan Man of the Match

1. Nani.
    2. Fletcher
    3. Rafael and Vidic.

Spot on, though modric and van Der vaart had equally as good games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

May have been posted already, but Harry says he will refuse to talk to reporters after the match if he is punished for his comments after the match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/9145368.stm

As a Spurs fan, i agree with him 100%. Not becuase i agree with the goal or not, but whats the point of interviewing a manager after a match if he isnt allowed to give his opinion. He wasnt insulting, in fact he complemented the ref for usually doing a great job, but criticised a very controversial goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The free Gomes thought we had gotten if he thinks it's a free he can't take it from his hands

You have a serious problem if you keeper is imagining frees that have not been awarded. Harry should get him checked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Good point made in the guardian about this today. The only person concerned who didn't make a mistake was Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

We'll do what we want, We'll do what we want

We're Man United, We'll do what we want!!

Iago wrote: »
    We'll do what we want, We'll do what we want

We're Man United, We'll do what we want!!

On the tram back to eccles that was sung over and over again. Some little girl started crying so the sang in a low voice " she cries if she wants, shes man utd she'll cry if she wants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Harry threating a media blackout - LOL- he couldn't keep his opinions to himself for 1 day, he'd explode. Cockney wheeler-dealer:D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

here's hoping we take it out on rafa's lot tomorrow night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Kold wrote: »
    We're finally gonna beat United at OT today. Yay.

Bale and VDV will be the two best players on the pitch by a mile.
    Happy to see Sandro starting, he played fantastic when he came on against Everton. Our weakness is once again our centre backs but hopefully Sandro will provide a lot of cover.

Hopefully Lennon finally turns it on today. Would like to see better out of Modric too. I think we have a realistic chance of getting something out of today if we properly go for it.

2-3

just saw this post and it made me happy, especially the bolded bits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kiith wrote: »
    May have been posted already, but Harry says he will refuse to talk to reporters after the match if he is punished for his comments after the match.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/9145368.stm

As a Spurs fan, i agree with him 100%. Not becuase i agree with the goal or not, but whats the point of interviewing a manager after a match if he isnt allowed to give his opinion. He wasnt insulting, in fact he complemented the ref for usually doing a great job, but criticised a very controversial goal.

Hopefully he sticks to his word. And if his son cares to join him in solidarity I won't lose any sleep either.

Gomes looks at Nani however, after he has placed the ball and doesn't seem to think Nani standing behind/beside him is a cause for concern.

If Clattenburg was playing advantage, then after going to his linesmane, when the confusion became obvious, he should have realised that no advantage had been gained, and awarded the free.

Gomes looks at Nani however, after he has placed the ball and doesn't seem to think Nani standing behind/beside him is a cause for concern.

If Clattenburg was playing advantage, then after going to his linesmane, when the confusion became obvious, he should have realised that no advantage had been gained, and awarded the free.

This rubbish again.

The advantage was having the ball in his hands rather then having to kick it off the ground.

Indeed, that is what Clattenburg believed at the time, but after discussing with his linesman, when it was clear that no advantage had been gained, he should then have awarded the free.

I don't think there is anyway to look at it, where conceding a goal directly from the incident in question constitutes an advantage, other than to the team who scores the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Indeed, that is what Clattenburg believed at the time, but after discussing with his linesman, when it was clear that no advantage had been gained, he should then have awarded the free.

I don't think there is anyway to look at it, where conceding a goal directly from the incident in question constitutes an advantage, other than to the team who scores the goal.

You sir, are possibly the most persistent poster in here in a long while!

Trilla wrote: »
    I dunno if its been posted before or old news but the spurs fans song to nani was funny - your just a shiit Michael Jackson :)

:D

gosplan wrote: »
    Good point made in the guardian about this today. The only person concerned who didn't make a mistake was Nani.

very true

• Advertisement

This rubbish again.

The advantage was having the ball in his hands rather then having to kick it off the ground.

In the mind of the referee yes, before he realised Gomes thought it was a free. When it became clear that there was confusion over the incident, caused by the blatant handling of the ball on the ground, it should have been realised that having the ball in the hands was not an advantage, and conceding a goal certainly wasn't.

If Clattenburg had ordered the game to be re-started directly after the goal, the point is valid, but the fact that he talks to the linesman, means that it becomes obvious that no advantage was gained, directly due to the confusion caused by the incident, and the refs own poor communication.

If he hadn't consulted the linesman, he could have gone on in blissful ignorance as to what had happened. But he said he was playing advantage, after consulting the linesman, it was clear that no actual advantage had been gained, in fact a disadvantage was incurred.

Hence, free-kick should have been awarded.

mars bar wrote: »
    You sir, are possibly the most persistent poster in here in a long while!

I'm clearly just an argumentative ****

In the mind of the referee yes, before he realised Gomes thought it was a free. When it became clear that there was confusion over the incident, caused by the blatant handling of the ball on the ground, it should have been realised that having the ball in the hands was not an advantage, and conceding a goal certainly wasn't.

If Clattenburg had ordered the game to be re-started directly after the goal, the point is valid, but the fact that he talks to the linesman, means that it becomes obvious that no advantage was gained, directly due to the confusion caused by the incident, and the refs own poor communication.

If he hadn't consulted the linesman, he could have gone on in blissful ignorance as to what had happened. But he said he was playing advantage, after consulting the linesman, it was clear that no actual advantage had been gained, in fact a disadvantage was incurred.

Hence, free-kick should have been awarded.

your arguing the point with utd monopoly , they only see red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Again you make this weird comment regarding the convo with the linesman.

The lino told the ref nothing new, informed him of nothing he didn't already know, so what are you talking about? Why are you saying the conversation with the lino should have led the ref to changing his decision?

BERBA wrote: »
    wah wah wah wah wah

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'm clearly just an argumentative ****

:pac:
    At first i just thought you were trolling, but it's just a different reading of events. Nothing wrong with that. Properly reasoned arguments are exactly what forums need.

I still think the ref just went over to the linesman to confirm they both saw the same thing. The ref already acted or maybe decided he didn't need to act, and he had to check the linesman wasn't flagging something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

:pac:
    At first i just thought you were trolling, but it's just a different reading of events. Nothing wrong with that. Properly reasoned arguments are exactly what forums need.

I still think the ref just went over to the linesman to confirm they both saw the same thing. The ref already acted or maybe decided he didn't need to act, and he had to check the linesman wasn't flagging something else.

Yes but did clattenburg signal the advantage, was he going to give a free kick

your arguing the point with utd monopoly , they only see red.

And yet you continue to do so with monotonous regularity.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

you write the word troll and niallo is promptly on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

niallo27 wrote: »
    Yes but did clattenburg signal the advantage, was he going to give a free kick

I've seen almost all available videos, none show him put both hands up to signal advantage, just putting both outwards by his side, which to me is just 'play on', i.e. No foul.

flahavaj wrote: »
    And yet you continue to do so with monotonous regularity.:rolleyes:

roll on tomorrow night against the european champions

I've seen almost all available videos, none show him put both hands up to signal advantage, just putting both outwards by his side, which to me is just 'play on', i.e. No foul.

To me it's "WTF are you doing? Why are you not kicking the ball out?";)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes i agree with you, so does common sense not say that when the linesman called him over and said he saw the handball, he could have given a free kick.
    Common sense would have prevailed and i dont think many utd supporters would have being too upset.

roll on tomorrow night against the european champions

LOUL. Gonna be funny alright. Sammy Eto's gonna rape ye.

I don't know flah if another of their decent players scores a consolation hat trick, that'll be them and Bale gone in the summer. Could be handy?

• Advertisement

thankfully Pedro Mendes won't be reffin it tomorrow night

lordgoat wrote: »
    I don't know flah if another of their decent players scores a consolation hat trick, that'll be them and Bale gone in the summer. Could be handy?

loved the ol fergie sniffin around the modric and bale before we arrived at the top table last may

wouldnt ye just love the both of em , don't think ye have the bobs though coz ye gave it all to the scouser.

loved the ol fergie sniffin around the modric and bale before we arrived at the top table last may

wouldnt ye just love the both of em , don't think ye have the bobs though coz ye gave it all to the scouser.

Bale - Naa, modric yes.

We'll see... I'd take Bale and Tom H off ye tomorrow but i might have to wait for the summer.

I can see ye selling Bale, Modric, VDV and a few others if the money is right...

Just don't call 'Arry a ****ing Wheeler Dealer!

They'll be gone when they outgrow ye. £150 mill in cash reserves says United have a pound or two don't worry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement