Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United V Tottenham ESPN 5:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well Mark Clattenberg in heading to league one/two for a week or two after that. I don't think it made any difference to the result as Tottenham look toothless in attack but the referee deffo got that wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Clattenburg has such a punchable face. He really looks like a right smarmy f*cker, the sort of ref you couldn't say a word to on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Someone has already gotten to his Wikipedia page

f253zb.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

THFC wrote: »
    Penalty?? What fcuking penalty?? He dived as he usually does and then handled the ball on the floor... Typical United always getting the big decisions then bítching about anything going against them....

Your keeper of course is blameless.:rolleyes:

Better than VDS. LOUL.

Delighted with the win.

Reality hits for Spurs, been getting a bit too big for their boots lately methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Simply has to go down as a howler from Gomes. Funny how theres talk of the ref making a bad decision but ignoring him not giving the penalty in the first place.

Could of been a peno . . Could of been a free out . Neither given , so the ref cant be blamed for Gomez assuming it was a free and fking up . . Simple as . .

Its united . . Dont expect any objective views on that incident. spurs should be more pissed with Gomez then anything else and as for it deciding the game, united were 1up . .

Lets reverse things, imagine the united team surrounded the ref and linesmen in the same manner as the spurs ones . . There would be widespread celebrations as it being some sort of karma and then calls for united to be relegated !! As usual , people pick and choose when to make mountains out of incidents and when certain things matter . .:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

He really is head and shoulders above everyone :P

Dont twist my words :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Serious question:
    Did the ref book nani for his dive?

It wasn't a ****ing dive. The defender tugged on Nani twice, and clipped his feet. All of this was done with him getting nowhere near the ball.

PHB wrote: »
    Cry me a river. Your keeper is an idiot.

Do you think there's any chance, whatsoever, that VDS would do what Gomez did?
    The whistle was blown wasn't it? That means play has stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think the linesman was flagging because he saw the handball.

Frankly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the goal. The ref never blew the whistle. Maybe he should have, but that happens about 20 times a game that a free isn't given. You don't just presume it is and go from there.

And frankly, Gomez put the ball down about 6 yards from where the free would in theory have been given.

the lino DEFINITELY did not flag at any point between Nani going down and the ball hitting the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Eh, the lino doesn't actually flag. having watched it again the lino reacts to nothing.

Why was his flag up so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OPENROAD wrote: »
    United should offer spurs a replay or at least given them a goal back

LOL Good one.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Mister men wrote: »
    WTF are you talking about. Nani handled the ball.

exactly what i said,did the ref blow up NO waved play on regardless if nani handled or not ref didnt blow for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Poor Spurs fans.

First the Pedro Mendes goal that was about 3 yards over the line and wasn't given.
    Then Michael Carrick diving for a penalty in 09.
    Now this crap.

Has any team been on the end of more injustices at Old Trafford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

miralize wrote: »
    Someone has already gotten to his Wikipedia page

f253zb.png
    Sounds like a non spurs fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Dacelonid wrote: »
    But the referee didn't give the free kick, therefore legitimate goal, and a howler from Gomes tbh
    Another high profile balls up. Nani should have been booked, for a start off (either for the dive or handball), then a free kick for handball should have been awarded (which somehow it wasn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I wish he hadn't allowed it cos it only gives spurs a chance to scream that they were robbed even though they were pretty crap and united deserved the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Id like to know what the ref and the lino were talking about. I can only assume he mentioned that Nani had handled the ball while it was on the ground. If this is the case then how the hell can the ref overrule it as he obviously didn't see it?

Doesnt mean much anyway, spurs weren't getting anything from that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Penalty?? What fcuking penalty?? He dived as he usually does and then handled the ball on the floor... Typical United always getting the big decisions then bítching about anything going against them....

What an absolute load of ****e. It was a peno, simple as that.

I know he handballed it, that was obvious. Did the ref give the free kick? Not at all he allowed Gomes (who had the ball in his hands) to get on with the game rather than pull it up. Gomes assume he has a free kick. The only thing the ref did wrong was not giving the peno in the first place. Gomes is at fault. Simple

eagle eye wrote: »

Whitle was NOT blown. play did NOT stop. Gomes simply assumed it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Poor Spurs fans.

First the Pedro Mendes goal that was about 3 yards over the line and wasn't given.
    Then Michael Carrick diving for a penalty in 09.
    Now this crap.

Has any team been on the end of more injustices at Old Trafford?

:pac::pac::pac:

Haha good one.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Shame for a strange decision to take away from what was an very good and open game.

Regarding the decision, if it wasn't a penalty then it was a handball and a free kick to Tottenham. But then again if it was a free kick it should have been taken from where the offence happened, i.e. right by the byline. Now Gomes picked it up and ran forward looking to play it quickly so the referee, quite rightly, played advantage. It then seems that Gomez changes his mind and decides to take a free, but closer to the 18 yard line and nowhere near the original offence. Doesn't matter as advantage has already been played. He throws the ball down thereby putting it in play. Nani gets it, looks to the referee to see if he's done anything wrong, the ref does nothing so he puts it in the goal.

I think Gomez should have either thrown it, kicked it, or went back to where Nani handballed and took the free. Then there would be no problem. I wouldn't blame the referee at all.

But at the end of the day it didn't make a difference to the result. Spurs didn't have a sniff of the goal in the last 15 minutes so I think United would still have one 1-0 anyway.

Can't wait for the replay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Serious question:
    Did the ref book nani for his dive?

Nani did'nt get booked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I think the linesman presumed that it was a free When the ball was undisputedly handled. Like any common sense referee would have done. If not BOOK FOR A DIVE, GIVE A FUKCING PENALTY, SOMETHING, ANYTHING, JUST DON'T START THERE LIKE A TOSSER AND FINALLY BLOW THE WHISTLE FOR A GOAL.

And then shoot yourself in the foot by ignoring the linesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Clattenburg for the Championship next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

two things

1/ no peno, hence no free kick

2/ gomes left the ball lying there after rolling it out wtf

legit goal

actually three things

3/ get over it

Johner wrote: »
    Why was his flag up so?

It wasn't. watch it again. his flag is pointed at the ground the entire way from Nani going towards goal (and going down) to Gomes assuming he had got a free, putting the ball down and Nani putting it in the net. At every single point of that, the flag is pointed at the ground.

I love how people bitch about Nani handling it because he ASSUMED he had got a free, and none of it is Gomes' fault because he ASSUMED he had got a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Shocking stuff from Clattenberg. Silly man.

Just watched it again, the ref ****ed up, didn't blow the whistle but he should have, Nani was entitled to go for it as the whistle wasn't blown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

Cadzer wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply lads!!! 2 -0 United . Vidic and Nani !! :D

I should have done the Lotto!!! :D 7,10,24,26,30,33, and the bonus number 2 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Cry me a river. Your keeper is an idiot.

Do you think there's any chance, whatsoever, that VDS would do what Gomez did?

Well, at least he has the ability to catch a ball...:rolleyes:
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Your keeper of course is blameless.:rolleyes:

Better than VDS. LOUL.

Delighted with the win.

Reality hits for Spurs, been getting a bit too big for their boots lately methinks.

Typical Untied fan. Bad winner and cant acknowledge (yet another) poor refereeing decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

So diving in the area and deliberate handballs are now 'ok' are they?

Fine. As long as we all know the rules, eh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, play had stopped (as in Gomez picked up the ball). Then Gomez put the ball on the ground and Nani scored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It wasn't a ****ing dive. The defender tugged on Nani twice, and clipped his feet. All of this was done with him getting nowhere near the ball.
    Did the ref book nani for the dive was the question.
    Not 'was it a dive'. I haven't even seen it and I know it was a dive.
    Answer the question, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

L'prof wrote: »
    Clattenburg for the Championship next weekend!

More likely the linesman will be demoted for not coping on that a free kick was not given. That being behind play in the first half and not realized the ball had gone out of play.

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    We're finally gonna beat United at OT today. Yay.

Bale and VDV will be the two best players on the pitch by a mile.

I knew I bookmarked this for a reason.

Rafael pwned Bale, and VDV failed his audition for his future move to a big club like United.

Found his level tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Big cheek smile on Vidas face :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watching it over and over again on a German channel . .

Nani was fouled , then handled the ball while on the ground. he was only 10 yards from goal.

Gomez picks up the ball, runs 20 yards to take his ficticious free kick, meanwhile ref is clearly signalling that IT WAS NO FREE . .

"Nani told to get up, they (Spurs) told to play on"

So Gomes' f'd it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Clattenberg is a shocking excuse for a referee. Next time he ought to kit up in a red jersey so at least we don't think we might have a chance at a fair game.

The two yellows for our centre backs in the first half? Hilarious.

Utterly mugged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Cadzer

Cadzer wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply lads!!! 2 -0 United . Vidic and Nani !! :D

I should have done the Lotto!!! Or at least but a bet on the match :)

In fairness Clattenberg has to be questioned over other decisions in that game too. The two early yellow cards seemed very harsh and when he didn't give one to Evra for the foul on Lennon, well it just seemed wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Kold wrote: »
    Clattenberg is a shocking excuse for a referee. Next time he ought to kit up in a red jersey so at least we don't think we might have a chance at a fair game.

The two yellows for our centre backs in the first half? Hilarious.

Utterly mugged.

yeah because united winning 1-0 didnt matter

Ref played advantage as Gomez looked to continue play quickly with a throw or a kick, signalled by him picking up the ball and running to nearly the edge of the box. Gomez changes his mind and ****s up. End of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Archimedes wrote: »

Rafael pwned Bale, and VDV failed his audition for his future move to a big club like United.

Found his level tbh.

Implying VDV wasn't the best player out there...

Archimedes wrote: »

Found his level tbh.

Bit harsh, VDV looked lively didn't get much help. Thought Lennon was very quiet. Bale beat Rafael a few times for pace but just didn't take him on enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Did the ref book nani for the dive was the question.
    Not 'was it a dive'. I haven't even seen it and I know it was a dive.
    Answer the question, please.
    :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Did the linesman flag for the handball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

In fairness Clattenberg has to be questioned over other decisions in that game too. The two early yellow cards seemed very harsh and when he didn't give one to Evra for the foul on Lennon, well it just seemed wrong.

In saying that Hutton should also have been booked, and probably Jenas.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Did the linesman flag for the handball?

No.

• Advertisement
Advertisement