Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United V Tottenham ESPN 5:30

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

eagle eye wrote: »
    Everything from Spurs came down that side of the pitch. Rafael did ok but he wasn't great or anything.
    He wasn't great. He was AWESOME!!

awesome_seal.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

linesmans flag doesn't go up for hand ball or when Nani kicks the ball , Only goes up are Gomez runs over to him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The ref didn't blow for a free so why was Gomes taking a free?

nani handled it twice on the deck , linesman throws the flag up presumably for a free , then all hell breaks loose....Good ol Pedro Mendes or should i say Mark Clattenberg , he made the last 10 mins of that game comfortable for utd..joke referee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Why are people saying things like "techinically the goal should stand" and "by the rules..."? It's a fu!king handball! He puts his hand on the balls and rolls it towards himself because he thinks he's got a penalty. How on earth can the linesman not see that if the whistle hasn't gone and the game is still 'live'. Worse than that Clattenburg then had ample opportunity to overturn the goal after discussing it with the linesman. Simply put the ref bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Forgetting about the last few minutes of the game I think it was a close game but United deserved to just win it. Neither team created clear cut chances. Most shots were comfortable for the keepers. Spurs best chance was the deflection in my opinion. Bale was quiet for me, didn't really do much. VDV and Modric showed great skill but not a lot of end product. I felt bad for Keane in the first half, nothing was coming to him. Lenon didn't provide much either.

As for United I though Fletcher and Park were excellent, tirelessly working for the team. Carrick did his job, which is just to sit deep and play simple balls. Thought Rafael, Brown and Evra were very comfortable at full back. Same with Vidic and Rio. Berba was poor, Chico was ok without being remarkable. And Nani I thought was a constant threat but I still want to see more consistency from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mister men wrote: »
    I can see why Gomez is pissed off.

Watch it. Gomez says to the ref '" is it a freekick'" - the Ref nods (Whether to him or Nani - who knows) so Gomez says OK.. Great. Then Nani scores.

Honestly if you are OK with this 'goal' then they should just stop football now. Just stop the league. Why bother with it? If it's pre-decided then the whole thing is pointless. There is no point. It's supposed to be a sport.

Here is the goal that i saw.

Surely if Gomes was asking if it was a free the ref would have gave a thumbs up, to put his hands to his side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Everything from Spurs came down that side of the pitch. Rafael did ok but he wasn't great or anything.

Rafael was fantastic. His mere presence was enough to put Spurs off their game, and limit them to several mis-hit crosses.That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Good win. Spurs never looked like scoring.

A worry is Berbatov is 6 games without a goal.

Great start to the season but he can't rely on that all season. Good to see Fergie take him off to give him a boot up the backside.

It seems nobody can say a bad work about Berbatov anymore because he had this great start to the season.

6 games without a goal is not good enough. I hope he has not gone back into his oldself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I think your deluded if you think he wasn't excellent small man in the middle of the park constantly was winning the ball and starting attacks he was far better then carrick.
    We weren't good enough to win the match but to not be able to see a very good performance is ridiculous

I thought Modric was Spurs best player today who had a good game and constantly looking a threat with the ball going forward. Carrick had an average game for Manutd, nothing special and nothing to be proud off, if anything Fletcher was far better.

I still don't think Spurs played well enough to warrant a draw never mind winning the game.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Your keeper of course is blameless.:rolleyes:

Better than VDS. LOUL.

Delighted with the win.

Reality hits for Spurs, been getting a bit too big for their boots lately methinks.

remember next may flav like last may....2nd = 4th ..you get the same thing at the end of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Archimedes wrote: »
    Rafael was fantastic. His mere presence was enough to put Spurs off their game, and limit them to several mis-hit crosses.That is all.
    Well imo Fletcher was MoM and he did a lot to take Bale out of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Why are people saying things like "techinically the goal should stand" and "by the rules..."? It's a fu!king handball! He puts his hand on the balls and rolls it towards himself because he thinks he's got a penalty. How on earth can the linesman not see that if the whistle hasn't gone and the game is still 'live'. Worse than that Clattenburg then had ample opportunity to overturn the goal after discussing it with the linesman. Simply put the ref bottled it.

No free was given, no whistle was blown & no linesman flag raised.

Gomes picks up the ball then throws it to the ground 5+ yards away from where it was handballed, then Nani catches him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Seriously watch this. Whoever talks about teh lino flagging just LOL. Liars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Must have been another Raphael out there today cause the one I saw was decent and nothing more. Probably just this week's circle jerk selection.

Modric and Van der Vaart were both very nice to watch as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

NickDrake wrote: »
    Good win. Spurs never looked like scoring.

A worry is Berbatov is 6 games without a goal.

Great start to the season but he can't rely on that all season. Good to see Fergie take him off to give him a boot up the backside.

It seems nobody can say a bad work about Berbatov anymore because he had this great start to the season.

6 games without a goal is not good enough. I hope he has not gone back into his oldself.

His general play and overall demeanour are still much better than previous seasons. He was the difference maker vs Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

BERBA wrote: »
    nani handled it twice on the deck , linesman throws the flag up presumably for a free , then all hell breaks loose....Good ol Pedro Mendes or should i say Mark Clattenberg , he made the last 10 mins of that game comfortable for utd..joke referee

The linesman didnt raise his flag at all, watch it back.

Well imo Fletcher was MoM and he did a lot to take Bale out of the game.

Well I wouldn't disagree with that too much, I thought we had a few candidates for MoM, but I certainly think Rafael was one of them imo. Wouldn't begrudge Fletcher it either though. Rafael is still a young player who people love to label "unable to defend". He was all over the right wing today, attack and defence, and I thought he was brilliant in that regard. So promising as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Archimedes wrote: »
    Not trolling at all, just pointing out that you were a bit foolish to guarantee a win considering you haven't beaten us in what is it now, 25 attempts?

You said Spurs would win. You were wrong.

You said Bale and VDV would be the best by "a mile". You were wrong.

I know you love all those internet meme's, so please imagine one of those super hilarious "deal with it" pictures here.

I'll admit that I don't actually possess the gift of prophecy. Actually, my prediction before the game was that we would win or else get mugged off by a sh*tty ref. Pretty good prediction actually.

You didn't run rampant over us, you seem to think you did. You got all the decisions and you're really blind if you don't see that. Oh well, next time hopefully.

Foolish to predict a win? Are you that arrogant about your team that another CL team couldn't possibly think they had an advantage? Oh well, you got your points, I feel hard done by, hardly surprising. Neither is getting mugged off at OT though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Vanbis wrote: »
    I thought Modric was Spurs best player today who had a good game and constantly looking a threat with the ball going forward. Carrick had an average game for Manutd, nothing special and nothing to be proud off, if anything Fletcher was far better.

I still don't think Spurs played well enough to warrant a draw never mind winning the game.
    Can't disagree with anything there

• Advertisement

remember next may flav like last may....2nd = 4th ..you get the same thing at the end of the day!

What happened last May?

Challenging for the title > scraping fourth obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So fúcking what if he handled it?

There is no effing need to give a free in that situation. Spurs gain a better advantage by being allowed to play on.

Kaboul tugged at Nani twice from behind and may have clipped his ankle - it COULD have been a penalty.

But it wasn't a penalty and a free wasn't given.

If Bale had scored in the first half after the ball had clearly gone out, would you have been absolving VDS and Rio of all responsibility.

The goal is COMPLETELY the fault of Gomes. It wasn't a free, the ref didn't whistle for it, so he never should have rolled the ball out like that. It was stupid from him and he cost his team a gaol.

It doesn't matter if it should have been a free, or a penalty, IT WASN'T and Gomes looks the idiot now for not adhering to the most basic of football principles - PLAY TO THE WHISTLE.

miralize wrote: »
    yeah because united winning 1-0 didnt matter

no but it made the last 10 mins handy for utd. they have been twitchy in a number of games goin in to the last 10 mins this season so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Watch it. Gomez says to the ref '" is it a freekick'" - the Ref nods (Whether to him or Nani - who knows) so Gomez says OK.. Great. Then Nani scores.

Honestly if you are OK with this 'goal' then they should just stop football now. Just stop the league. Why bother with it? If it's pre-decided then the whole thing is pointless. There is no point. It's supposed to be a sport.

Jesus Christ, it's RAWK on boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Technically it was a peno before the handball .. But I suppose that is irrelevant . . Must be nice to be able to pick and choose what rules of the game should be applied when it suits your agenda. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Must have been another Raphael out there today cause the one I saw was decent and nothing more.

He was up against the superest, bestest english left sided player in the world and handled him quite well. ;)

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    I'll admit that I don't actually possess the gift of prophecy. Actually, my prediction before the game was that we would win or else get mugged off by a sh*tty ref. Pretty good prediction actually.

You didn't run rampant over us, you seem to think you did. You got all the decisions and you're really blind if you don't see that. Oh well, next time hopefully.

Foolish to predict a win? Are you that arrogant about your team that another CL team couldn't possibly think they had an advantage? Oh well, you got your points, I feel hard done by, hardly surprising. Neither is getting mugged off at OT though.

Referee mugged you a win did he? So it's been Clattenburg who's been sabotaging your training sessions and telling you not to mark our biggest threat from set pieces?

Yes we got our points. The second goal merely confirmed it. Your ignoring the fact Nani should have had a penalty in the lead up to the goal (your own fans have said as much). How come you're not lambasting Clattenburg for that?

It wouldn't be....not it couldn't be.....would it.........be bitterness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

My 2c regarding the peno/handball/free?/goal debacle...

It should have been a penalty in the first place, so in that sense Spurs shouldn't feel too hard done by.

There was no freekick, and from what I saw, Gomes just put the ball on the ground when it wasn't a deadball, his own tough sh1t tbh, Nani thought fast and capitalised.

My problem is with the ref. Surely at some point (whether he saw it himself or was informed by the lino) he was aware Nani handled the ball, how he doesn't award a free out or disallow the goal is beyond me. He's gona have some explaining to do.

Realistically though, Spurs were going nowhere in that game and shouldn't feel unlucky or hard done by with the result, the better team won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Can't wait to see Harrys interview!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Clattenburg is an idiot IMO but Spurs were never going to win this game as Utd were too good for them.

Spurs just gotta move on and concentrate on the next game.

Kold wrote: »

Hang the **** on? Were you winning at this stage or what? It should have been a penalty, funny how you ignore that. ****ing whingers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

His general play and overall demeanour are still much better than previous seasons. He was the difference maker vs Stoke.

Oh I agree. But surely we can note his lack of goals??

Essien wrote: »

It should have been a penalty in the first place, so in that sense Spurs shouldn't feel too hard done by.

There was no freekick, and from what I saw, Gomes just put the ball on the ground when it wasn't a deadball, his own tough sh1t tbh, Nani thought fast and capitalised.

My problem is with the ref. Surely at some point (whether he saw it himself or was informed by the lino) he was aware Nani handled the ball, how he doesn't award a free out or disallow the goal is beyond me. He's gona have some explaining to do.

Realistically though, Spurs were going nowhere in that game and shouldn't feel unlucky or hard done by with the result, the better team won.
    How could he disallow the goal though?

If he saw Nani handle it, and decided to play on and give spurs the advantage of the keeper being able to kick it quick from his hands, how can he disallow the goal 15 seconds later just because Gomes f'ed it up?

Once the free wasn't given for Nani handling it, the rest is up to Gomes.

If one of the lads did what Hilarious Gomes did tonight in 5-aside you'd be raging. To do it at this level is absolutely unforgiveable. Yet not one Spurs fan has come out and admitted its his fault. Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Drumpot wrote: »
    Technically it was a peno before the handball .. But I suppose that is irrelevant . . Must be nice to be able to pick and choose what rules of the game should be applied when it suits your agenda. .
    Pot kettle black etc...

NickDrake wrote: »
    Oh I agree. But surely we can note his lack of goals??

Well you can't deny facts, he hasn't scored in 6.But as long as he is playing well and the team is scoring regularly, which it is at the moment, it doesn't worry me unduly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

howard.jpg

MotM voting....

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

Open to all.

No, the ref is NOT going to be added to the list.

Do not be a dick with your votes please. Vote sensibly or don't vote at all.

https://spreadsheets1.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

g655115633g6.gif

This thread is so awesome

Essien wrote: »

Amongst a mountain of shít is a good post that sums it up well imo.

Pot kettle black etc...

Right stop.

Explain properly what went on.

Nani should have got a penalty. agree or not?

nani then handballed agree or not?

The linesman didnt flag agree or not?

The referee didnt blow the whistle allowing advantage agree or not?

Gomes dropped the ball on the floor in assumption agree or not?

• Advertisement

MotM voting....

Open to all.

No, the ref is NOT going to be added to the list.

Do not be a dick with your votes please. Vote sensibly or don't vote at all.

Fletch
    Nani
    Raf

Park and Vidic very unlucky not to get in tbh.

What happened last May?

Challenging for the title > scraping fourth obviously.

whats the point in being the bridesmaid ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

From Rio's twitter photo-17.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Pot kettle black etc...

How is that so ?

It should of been a peno, failing that decision it should of been a free out . . Had the rules been applied properly , the handball wouldnt of happened and united would of had a peno. I imagine had the peno not been given and the freeout stood (dissalowing nani goal) , you would be happy with that self satisfying outcome . .

That aside, the ref didnt blow the whistle (contrary to delusional people trying to make up evidence to fan their misguided beliefs), so it wasnt a free and the goal was legit . .

Case closed . .

conspiracy-poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,379 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The keeper was at fault, he played to what he thought, not the whistle therefore the ball was actually in play. If he did think it was a freekick, why did he put the ball 12 yards from the position of the offence?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Amongst a mountain of shít is a good post that sums it up well imo.

I expect nothing less from Michael Essien. Fantastic player, even better internet forum user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Right stop.

You think he will answer that ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Right stop.

No point, you're going to get conspiracy theory rubbish back.

Just enjoy the seething fury.

Fletcher was MOM imo, Nani close behind. Thought VDV had a good game also as did Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

whats the point in being the bridesmaid ?

Its better than being a guest

Advertisement