Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experiences with (Replica??) Clubs from SE Asia

• 29-10-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

I am traveling to South East Asia next year and was thinking about picking up a cheap set of clubs on the way home, I know a guy who got a set of Calloway Fusions a few years back, I'm not sure how real they were but they looked the part and cost no more than €150 at the time. Have people had good or bad experiences in the past and whats the authenticity of the clubs.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭hades

My wife was over in china a while back and bought me a set of Callaway X20's and big bertha woods. The look the business but i found it very hard to hit them, in comparison to regular clubs.

What i found was the shafts on the woods were very very flexible, and as a result i had to swing ultra slow. I've since gotten a loan of a callaway x 3 wood, and i can hit that a good 50m on average past the replica 3 wood.

Irons are a different kettle of fish, i sure can hit them, and they not a flexy in the shafts, but the dispersion of the resulting shots was around 30m wide. I was ok with this, until i tried a set of genuine titelist AP1's and found they were far more focused and forgiving. That said i have battled on with my irons, since i'm just getting back into golf after leaving it for 13 years when i was 18, but i am saving (trying to convince the wife) to get me a new set.

So in short, if your older and need a senior flex, the woods should do fine. And the irons will do also, if you can put up with them not being pin point accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

hades wrote: »
    My wife was over in china a while back and bought me a set of Callaway X20's and big bertha woods. The look the business but i found it very hard to hit them, in comparison to regular clubs.

What i found was the shafts on the woods were very very flexible, and as a result i had to swing ultra slow. I've since gotten a loan of a callaway x 3 wood, and i can hit that a good 50m on average past the replica 3 wood.

Irons are a different kettle of fish, i sure can hit them, and they not a flexy in the shafts, but the dispersion of the resulting shots was around 30m wide. I was ok with this, until i tried a set of genuine titelist AP1's and found they were far more focused and forgiving. That said i have battled on with my irons, since i'm just getting back into golf after leaving it for 13 years when i was 18, but i am saving (trying to convince the wife) to get me a new set.

So in short, if your older and need a senior flex, the woods should do fine. And the irons will do also, if you can put up with them not being pin point accurate.

Ya thats kinda what I was thinking, look the part but not very effective, thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

hades wrote: »

Copies usually skimp on money somewhere. The only difference between these and cheap clubs is that you are often paying more then they are worth because they pretend to be the real thing.

Oh and change the title.......these are not replicas.......they are forgeries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

stockdam wrote: »
    Copies usually skimp on money somewhere. The only difference between these and cheap clubs is that you are often paying more then they are worth because they pretend to be the real thing.

Oh and change the title.......these are not replicas.......they are forgeries.
    I know we say words like replicas and forgeries but the holder does like to believe deep down there the real thing but they just came out the back door of the factory and not the front

Advertisement