Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citric Acid price..!!!!

• 29-10-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭

Bear with me on this one please. Not everyone has use for this stuff but a lot of people in hard water areas use it for descaling the auld kettle...... If you go to a chemist to buy a 500g tub of citric acid it will cost you between 6-8 euro per tub. Check the web.... 25kgs can be bought for under 80 euro. If ya were to buy the same quantity, ie.. 50 tubs... in a high chemist.... 308 euro.... :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You cant import citric acid over the net and just for yourself..... Clear vinager does the same trick at a fraction of the cost....

I mix the vinager with 50% water just to stop it being so caustic...

Dont use malt it stains...

and dont use it near silicone seals like in shower trays as it breaks them down...

It can be used on taps though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

..I never used the word import. Anyway... received a 25kg bag of citric acid two weeks, it was actually 76 euro. I'm just passing on info on saved money, after that its yer own choice. With that said, I must try yer tip with the vinegar, thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Origipolo wrote: »
    I'm just passing on info on saved money, after that its yer own choice.
    Theres a bargain alerts forum for that. 500g vs 25000g is a hell of a difference. If I got hydrogen peroxide in a chemist I expect it would be a similar price differential than buying a 25L drum of it from an industrial supplier.

Chemists have high markups, this is no secret it is similar to a jewellers, I can get 32 watch batteries for €2 in a €2 shop, I expect in Weirs the same 32 would cost me €100-€150.

For anybody who wants small amounts of citric acid go to an Asian type supermarket, I think I got 200-250g for €1.65 last time I went in. I have seen lads in the fitness forum buying glucose in chemists for stupid prices, when its in the baby food section of supermarkets for €1.20 per 500g.

Vinegar would be cheaper, some guy was looking for it in bulk before, an industrial supplier might have it as acetic acid. It is just another weak acid which dissolves the scale.

rubadub wrote: »
    Theres a bargain alerts forum for that. 500g vs 25000g is a hell of a difference. If I got hydrogen peroxide in a chemist I expect it would be a similar price differential than buying a 25L drum of it from an industrial supplier.

By all means, please bumb to bargain alerts, the thread is probably better suited there, thanks.
    Chemists have high markups, this is no secret it is similar to a jewellers, I can get 32 watch batteries for €2 in a €2 shop, I expect in Weirs the same 32 would cost me €100-€150.

I expect Weirs would charge a heck of a lot more than €150... but this topic is not about watch batteries.!?
    For anybody who wants small amounts of citric acid go to an Asian type supermarket, I think I got 200-250g for €1.65 last time I went in.

Excellent, I didn't realise it could be got there. True, the smaller quantities would suit most people, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Origipolo wrote: »
    Check the web.... 25kgs can be bought for under 80 euro. If ya were to buy the same quantity, ie.. 50 tubs... in a high chemist.... 308 euro.... :eek:

That's a ridiculous comparison. The 25kg is probably in one single tub.

Here's another

Shelf 1 in woodies. 250ml resolve weedkiller about €15
    Shelf 2 in woodies 1litre resolve about €35
    Shelf 3 in woodies 5 litres resolve €79

and another
    500ml coke tesco 1.25
    2 ltires coke tesco 1.99

If you buy certain items in volume packaging it is much cheaper - even on the same shelf.

• Advertisement

....One big 25kg bag of the stuff actually...!! I just happen to use citric acid a bit and thought other people may use a lot of it.. If ya have the space to spare to store a bag, the option is there.. As said, perhaps one of the mods might move this to bargain alerts..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I'm looking for somewhere handy for citric acid at the moment. Stumbled across this thread, which is quite old now but Citric Acid is used in wine making and brewing to a certain degree. I myself need it to make Invert Sugar #3 to be used brewing a milk stout.

Anyway get it from homebrew suppliers for a fraction of the cost you are paying.

500g for €4.05 for instance. This is based in Athlone but there are other shops around the country and they all ship anyway for a few Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭billbond4

Thanks for the post, was looking for citric acid for babys steriliser and im in athlone so nipped into the nice people in homebrew on the Dublin Rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

In the end I got mine across the road at the pharmacy. 100g for €1.99 which is a little more expensive than the homebrew shops but the difference would be nothing compared to petrol money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fefe mufry

Hi im looking to buy 25kg of citric acid in dublin, anyone have any idea where the cheapest place to buy is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

Some pharmacies may have higher prices for Citric acid because of the number of heroin addicts purchasing small amounts of Citric Acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fefe mufry

Thanks for that, I had heard that it was used for that before, found a place in dublin that was reasonably priced, so going with that supplier. Its not food grade, but I want it to make bathbombs so it suits my purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Loonie

fefe mufry wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I had heard that it was used for that before, found a place in dublin that was reasonably priced, so going with that supplier. Its not food grade, but I want it to make bathbombs so it suits my purpose

Mind sharing where? I'm looking for some for a similar use.

Advertisement