Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Charge Wrong?

Options
  • 29-10-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello all,

Hope this isnt the wrong place to post. Ive been trawling this site for a similar thread but didnt see too many recent ones so said id start a new one!

Anyway, i recently ordered clothes form the US as i have done numerous occasions before. I knew i would have to pay import duty and VAT-no problem there either!

But theres no way the price of the charges can be right.

The lowdown:

Clothes total $391 + $50 shipping = $441 which is €316

Duty Charge = €35.04

VAT = €68.68

Post Office Charge = €6

TOTAL I WAS CHARGED = €109.72

From all thte times i got clothes before imported i was charge 12% on the overall price for thte Duty charge, then add this on and then work out the VAT at 21%.

Basically my query is, does this charge seem wrong to people or has there been a genuine mistake here and if so how do i go about recouping/appeal the mistake made?

What I believe has happened is that the person computing this in Customs has forgotten to change the overall total of the goods from Dollars to Euros i.e the origianal total of $441 was taken as being €441 Euros.

Id really appreciate help on this matter, so thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

According to your 12% + 21% that looks around right to me

€316 x 12 % = €37.92

VAT on €316+€37.92 (353.92) = €74.32

Add 6 euro for An Post comes to €118.24

I'd assume the €9 difference comes from a more favourable exchange rate.

Edit:
    After "reverse engineering" your charges, you were charged on 292.0045 worth of goods. Maybe they didn't include the shipping in the Duty/VAT calcs?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Thoie wrote: »
    According to your 12% + 21% that looks around right to me

€316 x 12 % = €37.92

VAT on €316+€37.92 (353.92) = €74.32

Add 6 euro for An Post comes to €118.24

I'd assume the €9 difference comes from a more favourable exchange rate.

But should be the final total not be €74.32?? plus the €6??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭luvs2spooge

Ok i realise my mistake....eventually!!

Cheers for the help and pointing me in the right direction!

Advertisement