Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blueface + Skype?

• 29-10-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

I'm about to order Blueface soon (when I've set up a little home network, as that's tied in with also installing a router). VOIP's only recently become available to me, and I'm still a bit confused about one point.
    I know what the differences are between Blueface and Skype, but is there any reason why I shouldn't use both (via the same internet connection)? I gather there are problems with calls between Skype and other providers, but would like to sign up to Skype for talking to some friends who use it.
    I can't see the answer at Blueface's website, including the forums (where I can't see anywhere to register to ask questions - maybe I have to be a customer first).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭nilhg

You'll have no problem using both, they're not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Yup that's all perfectly fine, you can even use them both at the same time! 2 different technologies basically:

- proprietary, closed, only 1 client, 1 vendor
    - excellent sound codec for low bandwidth = good sound even in bad internet connection situations
    - decent prices
    - video calling, conferencing and chat history
    - less universal as other side needs Skype as well and/or you need interface to normal telephony network

SIP
    - open, multiple vendors possible, least cost routing
    - slightly more prone to glitches
    - best prices available
    - video calling is apparently possible but not easy
    - seemless integration with old PSTN network

I use both, Skype for work, family and friends, SIP for calling people that are not on the internet and to be called by other people not on the internet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks for that, nilhg and Wcool, and for the clarification of the differences.
    My broadband's wireless (beamed from a tower to a receiver at the house connected to the computer). One of the pluses of Blueface for me is I'll still be able to talk to people without computers after my phone line's cancelled.
    I haven't confirmed yet whether Skype works over wireless carriers, but I guess that's another topic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭championc

Is there any standalone "box" (not USB into a PC) that can be got for home use. I'm planning on just having a standard analog home phone and then getting a Linksys SPA3102 for routing calls through a VoIP provider (Blueface or VoipCheap) but can the same sort of thing be done for Skype. I want to control call routing from boxes rather than maybe pushing specific buttons on a phone handset or having a PC running 24 x 7 x 365

C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

My broadband is provided by fixed wireless. I use both Blueface and Skype so you will have no problems as long as the quality from your ISP is adequate.

• Advertisement

Thanks FSL (I couldn't seem to get the right keywords when searching for the answer!)
    This wireless connection's better than many landline ones in the nearest town. I'm told it'll be fine for Blueface, which seems to cover it.
    Officially it's up to 2mb up & .5 down. It fluctuates of course, but not always downwards (just now it was 1.65 down, and 1.98 up!)

There's a good test site here

http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php

Give it a run if you've any worries about your internet connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If you're considering Blueface as an option then they have a very useful network test application which tests the line quality between you and Blueface.

Further info available here but the link to the app itself seems to be broken at the moment :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link nilhg.
    I tried it, but the only places selectable on Visualware's UK & Ireland map were London and Maidenhead, which seemed a bit strange (or is it just that I don't know how Voip tests work?)

Thanks bhickey. Same here - tried it, but the link kept timing out. I've just asked about it in the Blueface forum (having found I was registered for that all along).
    I'll keep trying (and look for other VOIP tests perhaps), but I think even imperfect VOIP would be an improvement on my landline!

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Thanks for the link nilhg.
    I tried it, but the only places selectable on Visualware's UK & Ireland map were London and Maidenhead, which seemed a bit strange (or is it just that I don't know how Voip tests work?)

Thanks bhickey. Same here - tried it, but the link kept timing out. I've just asked about it in the Blueface forum (having found I was registered for that all along).
    I'll keep trying (and look for other VOIP tests perhaps), but I think even imperfect VOIP would be an improvement on my landline!

London or maidenhead would be the places where Visualware have servers for you to run the test against, since they're (in internet terms) relatively local they'll give you a good idea of what you can expect from voip over your connection.

If you did a test to, for example Singapore, it'd give you an idea what calls to SE Asia or even Australia might be like.

• Advertisement

Of course, nilhg - I wasn't thinking! :o (It's not where I am that I need to tell it).
    My VOIP result at Visualware, to Singapore, pointed to good quality (jitter 4.7ms, packet loss zero).
    Tried the video & TV tests out of curiosity, and the results were right in the middle of the good/bad scale. Video clips play fine on this connection, but it's nice to know web TV seems at least possible.
    Thanks for the help!

Advertisement