Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocal Cord Paralsyis HELP!!!!

Options
  • 29-10-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all. Following a sternotomy for the excision of cancerous nodules I've unfotunately been left with one of my vocal cords paralysed.

Essentially my voice has been taken from me. Loud environmental noise, eg. a passing car or kitchen fan, simply drowns it out. I find it extremely difficult to project my voice. I can no longer sing, something which I really enjoyed. Pubs and clubs? Forget about it. You know what that means as regards social interaction, we are living in ireland afterall :P

My voice for the most part is raspy and on a bad day I sound like that pubescent bespotted teenager with the quivering voice from The Simpsons. Like my voice is going to break. Not fun. I've been hoping and praying that it might return by some miracle of its own accord, the nerve healing. This as of yet has not happened a year later.

I'm 25 years of age and have had three major operations relating to papillary thyroid cancer since 2008. With the previous 2 ops I escaped unscathed (if you count chronic fatigue unscathed). This is a devastating condition. My voice was immensely important for what I wanted to do career wise (Media). I've even had to cut from my social circle a friend for whom I now realise the art of conversation was essentially a shouting match. Seriously, even though he knows of my condition, he'll keep talking over me to get his point across.....terrible.

Basically I'm hoping that there'll be other people out there who've had this problem or are dealing with it. As it stands I feel like I'm in a living hell. Three years of my life taken from me due to cancer, the country in economic ruins and I can't even make an order in McDonalds.

All the best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

jeez. this story makes me feel very lucky.

i cant being to think about what your life is like. i can only suggest staying away from the pub scene and joining a few clubs where talking very loud isnt really a big thing.

you sound like you could do with a holiday

Advertisement