Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROJECT ROTTERDAM 10.4.11

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Well, after beatin' myself up these past few days trying to find out reasons why DCM didn't happen, wondering whether or not I would tackle Clonakilty in Dec, or maybe even San Sebastian in November, I've decided that I'm going to finally put this damn thing to rest once and for all on April 10th in Rotterdam.

I had been planning to follow P&D's 18 wk/70-85mls per wk schedule, but with all the recent posts in favour of Daniels, I may have to check that out first. I have a little bit of time anyway, the schedule starts on December 6th, with a 65ml/wk :rolleyes:. I have time to have a bit of a rest first and build up to that.

I have always been a believer of high mileage, and used to run 70mls+ a week as a teenager. I've been lucky enough with injuries and know that my body can handle it. I think whats most important in doing the high mileage is making sure that the recovery runs are just that.
    I actually think that one of the reasons that Dublin didn't happen was that I took too many days off coming up to it, where I should have ran 4-5mls easy instead. Although was fighting the damn cold for the last couple of weeks so thought that taking them off may help to shake it.

Anyway, onwards & upwards ..........................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

hit edit, then hit go advanced then edit the title. Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Brilliant, you sound like you mean business. Will be following, best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck with. The training Speedy - looking forward to the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Best of luck with it speedy,75-80m a week...i will be very lucky to do that in 2 weeks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Best of luck Speedy. Glad to see you've put Dublin behind you. Im hoping to bee injury free by the end of November, who knows hopefully sooner. Might have a go at Rotterdam myself if Im ready to start training. Bring it on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Best of luck Speedy. Glad to see you've put Dublin behind you. Im hoping to bee injury free by the end of November, who knows hopefully sooner. Might have a go at Rotterdam myself if Im ready to start training. Bring it on :D

cheers smmoore. I'm starting to get excited about it already :rolleyes:
    I'm going to go for a run later today, sun is finally out as well so its a good day for it. Legs feel good too. Had a few beers this week but think I'll knock it in the head again, at least until Christmas.

Best of luck with getting over the injury, hopefully you'll be back pounding the roads again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Daniels' program A will have you in great nick for Rotterdamn speedy. Just make sure to follow it to the exact. The elite plan is top aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

tunguska wrote: »
    Daniels' program A will have you in great nick for Rotterdamn speedy. Just make sure to follow it to the exact. The elite plan is top aswell.

I agree with Tungska 100 per cent. I done the A plan and found come the big day I was strong as an ox. There are some great sessions in it. My marathon pace felt easy on hte day. Even got a negative split out of it.

Having done Rotterdam it would be ideal to have a person on the course. The energy drink was like water and make sure to take out the sponge out of the cups as I left myself dehydrated drinking through the sponge.
    From 34k its lonely in hte wood so if you have a friendly face out there with a drink it would be spot on.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

tunguska wrote: »
    I agree with Tungska 100 per cent. I done the A plan and found come the big day I was strong as an ox. There are some great sessions in it. My marathon pace felt easy on hte day. Even got a negative split out of it.

+1, i favour the daniels plan....you can even work it with big mileage also!
    DCM for me was actually a lot easier than i thought it would be and i ran the last 5miles as the fastest block of miles of the race....finished really strong! i think due to tempo miles late on in LSR's,(even after all my maoning about not being fit enough at the end)

best of luck with the training speedy, ill be following with envy!

Finally got out to 'try' to run. Felt great, for the first 100-200mts.
    Legs were really, really sore. Think I remember this feeling from last year though, I imagine I'll be ok in a couple of days.

Distance :- 4mls
    Time :- 36:48

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    Best of luck with it speedy,75-80m a week...i will be very lucky to do that in 2 weeks.....

just read your words of inspiration on d'pops' log Sosa, wise words indeed.
    Thanks

Monday, November 1st, what else could we expect except high winds, dark grey sky and driving rain ............... at least it wasn't cold :rolleyes:

Another 4mls on the road to recovery, at least this time I wasn't in severe pain. Still a bit sore alright, but I'm almost down to an earth shattering 8min/mls :D

Time :- 32:11

Lovely 6 1/2 mls in the warm rain through the city streets. I've missed running regularly this past week.

I love running through the city at night time, hardly used to get a chance to do it, but now that I'm working in town and with the winter coming in, looks like I'll be doing it a lot more frequently now.

Last few miles were 7:36 so getting back into the swing of things again, and like I said, definitely have the appetite back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good to see you enjoying running again Speedy :) Good luck with your new plan and goal. Will you be in Athenry in December?

littlebug wrote: »
    Good to see you enjoying running again Speedy :) Good luck with your new plan and goal. Will you be in Athenry in December?

tx LB. I'll be there alright, will have to go easy with the dinner the day before :rolleyes:

Have your legs recovered from the your exploits yet?

Speedy44 wrote: »
    tx LB. I'll be there alright, will have to go easy with the dinner the day before :rolleyes:

Have your legs recovered from the your exploits yet?

just about. I did an easy 3 this evening with no problems thankfully :)

Getting a bit few up with this now, could do with a wee bit of sunshine :(

Anyway, 5.5mls at about 7:50 pace. Thats 2 days in a row, I'm on a roll :D

8.25mls with my 13yr old nephew. Aver pace 7:51, last mile was 7:03, and it wasn't me pushing the pace ! Kids these days :rolleyes:

Felt pretty good, especially considering the few pints I had last night, which were followed by a few more :eek:

another 5.5mls with the nephew this morning, a little bit easier today, averaged 8:0+.

Almost 30 for the week (29.75mls) in 5 days. Good to be getting some consistency back in there again. Will just do another 5 this week but probably get up to 38mls. It will still be mostly easy running but may throw in a few pmp's during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Good stuff getting the mileage back in Speedy and all the best with the new log, will be following as usual :-)

• Advertisement

Monday
    Some light work in the gym.
    3 x 10 sit ups, push ups, bicep curls & 1 arm tricep extensions.

Tuesday
    Just 5 1/2mls nice n' easy, 8:06 pace. Legs felt a bit heavy towards the end.

Wednesday
    Decided to head to the track session at the club.
    Did 800m, 4 x 6mins on the road with a minute recovery, and one more 800m on the track.

Times were:
    800m - 2:55
    6mins - .98mls (6:10 pace)
    6mins - .98mls (6:10 pace)
    6mins - .93mls (6:28 pace)
    6mins - .93mls (6:28 pace)
    800m - 2:53

Felt ok doing them. Weary that the marathon was still in the legs. The first 100m of the first 800, I felt like I was almost sprinting :eek:

Felt better once we got on the road for the 6min efforts, especially on the first one. Started to tire on the third one so didn't push it too much.
    Felt good again once back on the track.

Nice to get the first decent session under the belt.

Total Distance = 9mls

8.25mls easy in 60:17/aver 7:17.

Well, it was supposed to be easy but I think I pushed it a little too much, although I did feel pretty good, and could have gone on for a few more.

1ml - 8:05
    2ml - 7:33
    3ml - 7:20
    4ml - 7:17
    5ml - 7:16
    6ml - 7:13
    7ml - 7:08
    8ml - 6:38

Once I start Daniels on Dec 6th I'm definitely going to take my easy runs very easy, no matter how good I feel.

Well, not really a long run, or not really a slow run for that matter.
    Did the 11mls with the club at 9am. Forgot to start the watch but the last 7mls were at 7:08 pace.
    Felt ok, was probably a bit overdressed, and started to get a bit tired on last few mls.

When I got home is when the fun started. I bent over to take off the runners and then got an excruciating pain in my gut. There was a big lump sticking out just below my rib cage. It was killing me and I was taking shallow breaths just to stay upright. After a few minutes it subsided a bit, but then came back even worse. At that point I could barely talk and had all sorts of things going through my head. I told the wife to dial 999.

The ambulance took about 20mins to get to the house (the joy of living in the country!) and by then I wasn't feeling as bad. Still, the loaded me and and hooked me up to all the machines.

Anyway, this is getting longer than a race report, so to cut an even longer story short, I'm home again. The doc said it was trapped gas in my colon :confused:

Probably didn't help that I had a few kebabs for dinner last night :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Jesus, thats mental. Glad it was nothing in the end, you must have been worried.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    There was a big lump sticking out just below my rib cage.

:eek:
    The doc said it was trapped gas in my colon :confused:
    :eek::eek::confused:

That sounds horrible ....I didn't think gas could do that! Anyway I'm glad you're ok... go easy on the kebabs!

Jesus, thats mental. Glad it was nothing in the end, you must have been worried.

yea, a bit :rolleyes: I think I was more in dis-belief than anything, I kept thinking that an hour earlier I was running in the prom on a beautiful sunny morning and now here I am in a bloody ambulance :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Only just read this now, wow, sounds wierd, glad its ok now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1 sounds like a bit of a scare. glad you are ok

Mon - Day off

Tues - Just an easy 6.5mls at about 8min/ml pace. Stomach is still a bit tender so conscious of that. Rest of me felt ok :rolleyes:

Wed - Decided to attempt the track session. Plan was for 1200m, 1min/rec, 400m, 200m jog (90secs), repeat 5 times.
    Felt ok doing them. 12's were about 6min pace and 4's were 80, 82 & 83.
    Legs felt ok, but was breathing heavier than I normally would so decided to call it a day after 3 sets. Didn't want to force it too much.

Was pishin & blowing a gale on the track, but I loved it, wish I could have kept going for the full set.

Thur - Had planned to get out and probably should have, but I got lazy and used the excuse that I was feeling drowsey from the meds ;)

• Advertisement

Friday

8.25mls, with the last 6 steady'ish. Didn't want to kill myself with this, just wanted to open things up a bit and get the heart pumping.
    Splits were:
    7:47
    7:25
    7:05
    6:59
    6:41
    6:38
    6:40
    6:27
    1:51

57:37/6:59 average for the whole run.

Saturday
    Just did 6.5mls easy. Felt a bit tired at first, then I felt really good and even had thoughts about doing my long run today instead :)
    Think the weather had something to do with it.Took it nice & easy, 8:04 pace.

Sunday
    13mls by myself in cold, calm & sunny weather. Beautiful morning for a run. Could have done with the gloves though. Took it easy again, 7:51 pace. Just wanted to get my first long'ish run out of the way while feeling good at the end, especially after last week.

Week Distance = 41.75mls/5 days

Advertisement