Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROJECT ROTTERDAM 10.4.11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

It looks like youre back on form Speedy, thats good news!! Solid tempo splits. Havent run since the marathon myself but think I'll risk an evening jog later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

smmoore79 wrote: »
    It looks like youre back on form Speedy, thats good news!! Solid tempo splits. Havent run since the marathon myself but think I'll risk an evening jog later.

cheers smmoore, good to be back into the swing of things again alright, and enjoyin it as well :)
    A buddy of mine took 3 months off after running 2:59 at last years DCM, and ended up getting 7 pb's this year ! So maybe a rest is a good thing ;)

8.25mls easy (7:50'ish). Had to really push myself to get out the door this evening, really wasn't into it at all. The fact that it was a beautiful evening tipped the balance. Once I got warmed up (man it was cold out there :( ) I felt fine. It was virtually dark by the time I finished.

Wednesday
    I AM SICK OF THIS DAMN COLD :mad: ........and I don't mean the weather. I feel like I've had a bad head cold since before the damn marathon, and I just can't seem to shake it. Some days its ok but then a day later I am sneezing my damn head off.
    Anyway, decided to head to the track anyway. Did 6 x 1k, but the legs just weren't there.

Times were:
    3:30
    3:35
    3:40
    3:52
    3:56
    3:45

Total Distance = 8.65mls

FRIDAY
    8.25mls with a 4ml tempo throwing in.

Splits were
    6:25
    6:25
    6:24
    6:16

Felt ok after havig to take yesterday off. Stil don't feel right though, cold is still lingering, and stomach feels bloated and sore :confused:, nothing like it was a couple of weeks ago though.

Not sure what I want to do these days. Today on my run I thought maybe I'll just take a whole month off and to hell with it, but I don't want to. Feel like I am running ok, even with been not 100%.
    Havn't been very dedicated since the marathon either, eating more sh*te than I should and drinking a bit too much, well, for an 'athlete' anyway :(

Saturday - 4mls
    Sunday - 4.5mls
    Monday - off
    Tuesday - 8.25mls

Will have to come up with a plan to run during this weather :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Will have to come up with a plan to run during this weather :rolleyes:

i know how ya feel.....i dont have much time for running at the mo, but when i do, id to be able to run!!!.....

sounds like you well and truely recovered from DCM, best of luck with the new training, you will enjoy daniels plan, be nice to get the 6 weeks of speed work done too, i only had 3 weeks of that, but the rest was tempo running.....

At least your running which is the main thing. And keeping in good shape for any marathon plan that ya may take up soon. Ive only done 2 small runs since the marathon so am dying to get out and run injury free:rolleyes:

Well, it was supposed to be a track session, but since the track was frozen over we had to use one of the rugby pitches. Have to say it looked fairly surreal with the blanket of snow & ice under the floodlights :)

It was 3 laps around the pitch to make a mile, so I did 6 laps for a warm up. After a couple of strides to get going, we got into it (too cold to be hanging around).

Session was laps of 3-2-1-1-2-3.
    Times & distances were:

3 laps (1ml) - 6:41
    2 laps (.67ml) - 3:57
    1 lap (.33ml) - 1:45
    1 lap (.33ml) - 1:47
    2 laps (.67ml) - 3:50
    3 laps (1ml) - 5:50

Happy enough with that,once we got going. First Wenesday session I felt halfway decent since before the marathon.

Did a mile warm down for a total of 7.25mls.

seanynova wrote: »
    i know how ya feel.....i dont have much time for running at the mo, but when i do, id to be able to run!!!.....

sounds like you well and truely recovered from DCM, best of luck with the new training, you will enjoy daniels plan, be nice to get the 6 weeks of speed work done too, i only had 3 weeks of that, but the rest was tempo running.....

cheers Seany. Ya, looking forward to getting stuck into it. Hopefully this weather will have thawed a bit by then :rolleyes:

smmoore79 wrote: »
    At least your running which is the main thing. And keeping in good shape for any marathon plan that ya may take up soon. Ive only done 2 small runs since the marathon so am dying to get out and run injury free:rolleyes:

Only 2 runs :eek:, man I would be climbing the walls by now. I think this whole running lark is a combination of mental & physical benefits for me, so if I can't get out, the wife & kids start leaving subtle hints around the house for me, like putting my runners on while I'm still in bed :D

• Advertisement

Only 2 runs :eek:, man I would be climbing the walls by now. I think this whole running lark is a combination of mental & physical benefits for me, so if I can't get out, the wife & kids start leaving subtle hints around the house for me, like putting my runners on while I'm still in bed :D

Yep, thats the joys of being injured, feck all running. And yes, Im losing it at this stage!!! Its like detox or something ;) The worst is the paranoia about losing fitness and seein other lads at the club pushing on and gettin faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

we had to use one of the rugby pitches.

Presuming that was at Dangan were you running on the trail around the pitch or on the grass? Any idea what the lane from nui up to the pitches is like? I'll be in on Saturday so it might be a good alternative for me.

littlebug wrote: »
    Presuming that was at Dangan were you running on the trail around the pitch or on the grass? Any idea what the lane from nui up to the pitches is like? I'll be in on Saturday so it might be a good alternative for me.

Havn't been on the land up from nui recently. Was up there again this afternooon and a lot of the ice has broken up, but you still need to be careful on the bends, and of the hard, uneven grass.

Thursday

8mls easy on grass (and ice & snow!). Felt ok, average 7:59 pace

Friday
    Plan was for 2 x 20mins, made it as far as 1 x 20 & 1 x 15mins. Felt pretty good and strong on the first one but started to feel it on the 2nd, hence the 15mins.

Splits were:
    20mins - 3:01mls (6:38 pace)
    15mins - 2.27mls) (6:36 pace)

Pace wasn't the quickest but the conditions underfoot weren't the best, had to slow down on all the bends. Hard effort though, which is what it was all about.

Total Distance = 7.5mls

Damn it, tried to run, made it a whole half mile, and almost killed myself.
    At least I got out the door I suppose and made the effort.

Figured out that I've past the 2000ml mark a while back, think I'm closing in on about 2200 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Damn it, tried to run, made it a whole half mile, and almost killed myself.
    At least I got out the door I suppose and made the effort.

Figured out that I've past the 2000ml mark a while back, think I'm closing in on about 2200 now.

i feel your pain speedy, did intervals today myself and one section of the track was icy, so as i was doing my laps i had to walk for 50-70m each lap.....lol
    but the session was time based so a quick pause of the clock and start again when running....its better than nothing, that all i can tell myself!

Managed to get out at 3.30pm. Did 5 laps around the pitches at the NUIG grounds at Dangan, then went out onto the road to do a couple more. The lad I was running with twisted his ankle badly at the end of the last lap, and when we went out on the roads, the black ice was coming in fast, and even with gloves on, my hands were really starting to feel the cold.

By the time I got back to the car, the were completely numb to the point that I could barely open the car and turn the ignition. They were really killing me, and on the drive home I didn't feel the best :rolleyes:

Anyway, very happy to get it done. With this weather, any run is an achivement, so to get 12.5mls in, I have to be happy. Not sure about pace, havn't checked it yet. Easy enough anyway.

Distance = 12.5mls

Week Distance = 44.75mls/5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Hi Speedy44,

I’ll be following your log with interest as I signed up for the Rotterdam marathon a couple of weeks ago. I’m not near the same level as you, it’ll only be my second marathon and I’m aiming for a sub 4hour run. Ain’t got the balls to run in the conditions we had lately. I’m of the inclination of leave it and catch up on the training rather than picking up a serious injury or catching the flu/cold. Good luck Speedy44 and I should see you pounding the streets of Galway with the mileage you’re putting in. (I live in Renmore) :D

topcat77 wrote: »
    Hi Speedy44,

I’ll be following your log with interest as I signed up for the Rotterdam marathon a couple of weeks ago. I’m not near the same level as you, it’ll only be my second marathon and I’m aiming for a sub 4hour run. Ain’t got the balls to run in the conditions we had lately. I’m of the inclination of leave it and catch up on the training rather than picking up a serious injury or catching the flu/cold. Good luck Speedy44 and I should see you pounding the streets of Galway with the mileage you’re putting in. (I live in Renmore) :D

cheers Topcat, good to see a fellow Galwegian with lofty ambitions :D

Tbh, I have to get out, even in this weather. I get cabin fever very easily, and if I miss a few runs, feel like I've gone backwords again.

Best of luck with your program.

Thanks Speedy44,

I might be asking you for advice in the next couple of weeks. I'm not a big milage man as i'm also traing for thr Galway 1/2 ironman in Sept and the girlfiend will kill me if i spend more time away. If i drop you my training plan you might be able to look over it?

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »
    Thanks Speedy44,

I might be asking you for advice in the next couple of weeks. I'm not a big milage man as i'm also traing for thr Galway 1/2 ironman in Sept and the girlfiend will kill me if i spend more time away. If i drop you my training plan you might be able to look over it?

sure thing, stick it in a pm to me.

Couldn't figure out how to attach a PDF in a PM.

Marathon Training Schedule Rotterdam.pdf

Man, this weather must be getting to me if I'm quoting that sh*te Vanilla egit :eek:

Anyway, managed to get out and do 8mls around the playing fields in Galway. Took it easy, average pace was 7:58. Glad to get it done.

Track tomorrow, hopefully :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Fair play to ya getting out in that. That LSR, I wonder if the sweat from your hands frooze in the gloves. Sore.

5 x 1ml with a minute recovery on the frozen pitches. Had to be careful out there, especially on the corners.

Times were:

6:19
    6:06
    6:14
    6:08
    6:03

Total Distance = 7mls

Thursday

6mls easy. Felt ok for the first few but a bit tired near the end. 8:06 pace

Friday

5mls tempo. Was finally able to get out and run on my usual loops. There was still a bit of ice, and lots of sluch around, so had to be careful in spots. Felt pretty good all the way.
    Splits were:
    6:34
    6:28
    6:21
    6:22
    6:22

Total Distance = 8.25mls

Saturday - 6.5mls easy.

Sunday - Had planned to run on the road with the club, but when I parked the car and started running, I decided that it was too risky as there had been a hard frost overnight.
    Ended up doing 14.25mls around the 2ml loop around the pitches. Averaged about 7:52 pace I think, fastest was a 7:14, slowest 8:41 starting off.

Week Distance = 50mls

With the weather promised bad again soon, I will try to get 55-60mls in this week. Have a 10K planned for the 26th so if I miss a day or 2 next week I won't feel too bad, if I have some decent wks under my belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

. Have a 10K planned for the 26th

I'd put money on that not happening :( Maybe just as well for me as I think I'd be nearly back to walking it at this stage :rolleyes:

littlebug wrote: »
    I'd put money on that not happening :( Maybe just as well for me as I think I'd be nearly back to walking it at this stage :rolleyes:

hmmm, something tells me your a 'glass half empty' type of person LB :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday

8.25mls easy. Didn't get out 'til 3.30pm and the ground had started to freeze already so had to be careful out there. Ended up averaging 8:07.
    Still, good to get it done.

Wednesday

15 x 400m with 30 secs rec on the track.

Times were:
    83, 83, 82, 82, 82
    81, 81, 80, 81, 81
    82, 80, 78, 81, 74

Good session. Felt in control all the way. According to Daniels my VDOT is 59 so my intervals should be 82secs, averaged 80-81 so not bad. Concentrated on trying to run relaxed, which I did. Felt very much in control all the way. Even on the last one I could have got a few more seconds out of it if I wanted to push it.

Distance = 7.8mls

Advertisement