Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROJECT ROTTERDAM 10.4.11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Speedy, how are you making your way to Rotterdam? I looked at it as an option last night but Aer Fungus don't fly there?

I suppose I realy should look into that :rolleyes:

Your not coming from Palm Springs then I take it :confused:

2mls easy, 2 x 12mins T with 2min rec, 1hr easy.

T's were at 6:16 & 6:12 pace, hr was at 7:31 pace.
    Whole run 7:28 pace.

Good session. Funny how much distance you can cover when you mix it up a bit. Went through different feelings with this, sort of what you'de experince in a race I suppose. Didn't feel great at the start, not bad, just not into it. Felt ok in first T effort, was going against the wind and I was overdressed as well. Didn't feel like I was going too fast, but at the same time felt good :confused:

2nd T was similar except I was going faster and it didn't feel it. Was fairly tired at the end of this one.
    The hour easy was good, felt ok in the first few miles once I got into a groove. Then I started to feel a bit tired, but that didn't last long and then I felt like I could keep going for a while longer at the end.

Looking forward to getting a few more of these type sessions under my belt, I'd say they will really help to get me going in the right direction.

Distance = 14.25mls
    Time = 1:46:34

Sunday 9th
    Finally got out at 3pm today. Skipped the usual 9am run this morning cause had relatives over for dinner last night so, even though there was no booze, there was lots of spicy food, so didn't sleep the best and figured I needed a couple more hours.

Glad I did cause I felt great. After the first 2mls when I did 8:18 & 7:53, I ended up averaging 7:30 for the 11.25mls. Thought I was going to be dragging a bit after yesterday. Felt very good going in the prom in Salthill and for 3mls I averaged 7:15, going easy :rolleyes:

Better days to come yet ;)

Week Distance = 58.75mls (6 days)

Only intended to do 6-7mls easy today, but met a few of the lads near the end of the run so ended up with 9.75mls @7:30pace.

Felt very good again :rolleyes:

Tuesday

Just 6.5mls easy today, 7:28 pace.
    Had intented to get out twice but forgot how dark it is out in the country in the morning. By the time I got the kids to school, I didn't have time :(

Track tomorrow, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

Just realised I didn't do exactly as per Daniels on this session.
    Was supposed to do 6 x 5-6mins T pace (5:59) off a minute.
    Club session was 5 x 1ml off a minute, so I suppose it was close enough.

Anyway, here's the times:
    5:48, 5:48, 5:55, 5:54 & 5:57

Wrecked after this one. As usual the first couple felt ok and I was holding myself back, which I would expect to be doing early on. Felt like I was cruising though. Led out these first 2.
    Tucked in on the 3rd and thankfully it was a bit slower. Started to feel it on the 4th but got through it.
    The 5th one was a struggle, first lap was 87, 800m in 3:01. One of the lads opened a gap, and then another fella went past me 2 laps out so I had to dig really deep to hang on to him, which I did. We even almost caught the leader as well :D.

Distance = 8.75mls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Just realised I didn't do exactly as per Daniels on this session.
    Was supposed to do 6 x 5-6mins T pace (5:59) off a minute.
    Club session was 5 x 1ml off a minute, so I suppose it was close enough.

Anyway, here's the times:
    5:48, 5:48, 5:55, 5:54 & 5:57

Wrecked after this one. As usual the first couple felt ok and I was holding myself back, which I would expect to be doing early on. Felt like I was cruising though. Led out these first 2.
    Tucked in on the 3rd and thankfully it was a bit slower. Started to feel it on the 4th but got through it.
    The 5th one was a struggle, first lap was 87, 800m in 3:01. One of the lads opened a gap, and then another fella went past me 2 laps out so I had to dig really deep to hang on to him, which I did. We even almost caught the leader as well :D.

Distance = 8.75mls

top session speedy, good mile splits!

am - Just 4 gentle miles nice & easy. Felt ok after yesterday.

pm - 6.5mls easy @ 7:38 pace. Have to say this didn't feel as easy as it should have, but it wasn't too bad I suppose. Main problem was pain in my left calf/achilles area again. Felt worse today than recently. Seemed to get a bit better towards the end of the run though.

Also my right foot felt a bit numb (:confused:), almost like the laces were tied to tight and cutting off the circulation, don't think that was the case though. Maybe cause the runners were still a bit wet after yesterdays session may have had something to do with it.

11mls easy. Weather was actually quiet good, a bit windy, but good to just be wearing shorts and long sleeved T.
    This was a tale of 2 runs really. Felt ok for the first few miles, cruising along at 7:30 pace. Then at about 4mls I started to feel very tired & hungry and wanted to stop :confused:

I mean, I had 3 slices of toast and a poached egg for breakfast at 8am, then porridge for lunch at noon. Ran at 1pm so there's no way I should have been hungry. In saying that though I am eating like a horse these days. Not sure why, well, I'm sure the extra workload has something to so with it :rolleyes:. Have done 71mls these past 7 days. At least I'm eating sensibly.

Anyway, I seriously thought about cutting the run short to 6.5mls, especially with the race on Sunday. My left calf/achilles was sore too.
    I didn't really make up my mind until the turn off point when I headed off on the longer loop.
    Once I did I felt better and ended up having to ease up a bit after a while.
    Average pace was 7:30 again.

what race are you doing on sunday?

you did a nice bit of mileage this week, 71m is 7days, good going and the sessions are coming together nicely, looking goor for rotterdam and plenty of time to go yet...

what your plan for racing in the lead up to marathon? how many and what distances are you planning on doing?

• Advertisement

seanynova wrote: »
    what race are you doing on sunday?

you did a nice bit of mileage this week, 71m is 7days, good going and the sessions are coming together nicely, looking goor for rotterdam and plenty of time to go yet...

what your plan for racing in the lead up to marathon? how many and what distances are you planning on doing?

Tuam 8K is on Sunday Seany.
    After that I think I'll leave it til Feb 27th when there's a 5ml race near Loughrea. Then I'll do the Craughwell 10 on March 20th. Thats 3 weeks before Rooerdam so falls nicely.
    I know its not a lot of races but want to concentrate more on getting stuck into Daniels as I feel that is what will bring me along.

Saturday
    Just 6.5mls easy in the high winds & rain. Calf/achilles still niggling but not as much. Felt pretty good, 7:40 pace

Sunday
    Well, good to finally be happy with a race, well kinda :rolleyes:
    Wanted to run 29:20 for this, but in the back of my mind I had 29mins as a potential if everything clicked.
    While the course isn't the toughest, its definitely not the easiest. 2 loops, which I always hate, with a couple of hills at 3 & 7k to keep you honest. It was the wind that really made it hard. It was deceptive and I thought during the warm up that it would be a non-issue. But no matter what direction we were running, we seemed to be running into the damn thing:confused:

Anyway, wanted to start off conservatively, was surprised to see a 3:22 first K. Looking at the garmin now, it was only 955m, so its down as a more realistic 3:31.
    A few of the lads I wanted to follow were already 5-10secs up on me. Was feeling comfortable enough and went through 2K in 6:48.
    Was running with a few lads in a group and this started to break up a bit in the 3rd K. Got there in 10:39 (3:51). Was tailing a lad now who normally is in the 26-27min range for 8K, he was obviously having a bad day.
    Went up the hills ok, whenever I felt that he was moving away a bit I dug in and made sure I stuck close. Got to halfway in 14:25 (3:47). Still feeling good and a quick calculation gave me a 28:50 finish, it I had an even split :rolleyes:

Passed a club mate in the 5th K who beat me in all races last year bar 2, he also ran 36:58 in the 10K 2wks ago. Was starting to feel it now but digging in to stay with yer man. 5K in 17:56 (3:31). Wind felt very strong now, I was just concentrating on trying to relax.

6K in 21:31 (3:33). Was delighted how fast we were running (or so I thought) and as much as I was hurting was confident of a good time. Caught another local lad who I thought may be in my catogory. He was breathing hard so I figured that was a good sign. Don't think I've ever beat him in a race before come to think of it.

7K in 25:10, brilliant I thought, its going to be hell, but I'm going to break 29mins. At this point yer man broke away on the hills, I just didn't have anything left and almost felt like throwing up.

Shocked when I saw the time at the end. From reading the garmin, most of the k markers were in the wrong place, the last K came in at 1.19K !

Was disappointed initially but when I think of the conditions and the lads I beat, and the pb, and the fact that I won my catogory, I have to say it was a good day at the office.

Week Distance = 63mls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Congrats on a great run Speedy. Well deserved. Ya have the speed and with the mileage you've been puttin in recently, you should have a great stab at Rotterdam!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Congrats on a great run Speedy. Well deserved. Ya have the speed and with the mileage you've been puttin in recently, you should have a great stab at Rotterdam!

cheers smmoore.
    Yea, good to see some positive results from the training, will encourage me to keep banging away at it.

Any immediate goals for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

great run speedy - you have the speed for rotterdam already, just need the stamina and you'll fly it

well done speedy, good pace, congrats for the category win also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

cheers smmoore.
    Yea, good to see some positive results from the training, will encourage me to keep banging away at it.

Any immediate goals for yourself?

No immediate goals for me, Im just gonna try to get regular training goin. Will do a fair few BHAA races and maybe I'll get a pb or 2 somewhere along the line :rolleyes: As for marathons, Im still in limbo, want to be fully fit before i tackle one. My left ham/groin is tight these days so Im afraid to really push myself with the training. Not sure if i should be stretching it or leaving it alone to heal :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Brilliant stuff Speedy. Well chuffed for ya. I agree with tbb there...a bit of stamina work and you'll put up some performance in Rotterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great running Speedy, well done :)

Anyone know anything about the start in Rotterdam?

I see from the entry procedure that in order to get into the sub 3 pen, you need to send proof of a recent time, which I don't have of course :mad:

Do this means I will be stuck in pen D. How far back will that put me?

I know it is chipped time etc etc, but that doens't negate the fact that once over the start line you may have to dodge loads of runners (joggers!) for the first few miles, which I hate :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Anyone know anything about the start in Rotterdam?

I see from the entry procedure that in order to get into the sub 3 pen, you need to send proof of a recent time, which I don't have of course :mad:

Do this means I will be stuck in pen D. How far back will that put me?

I know it is chipped time etc etc, but that doens't negate the fact that once over the start line you may have to dodge loads of runners (joggers!) for the first few miles, which I hate :mad::mad:

I was in pen D.
    There are no slow down corners/tight bends within the early km (like DCM) that I can remember but I do remember trying to get around people for the first km. That said, I should have gone into the pen earlier. My clubmate was dodging people for a lot longer (which he thinks actually helped him slow down) but he arrived at the back of pen D and managed to run a brilliant race. Get in early, get up the front and there shouldn’t be a problem. Just bring the usual rubbish clothes to keep you warm.

Monday
    7mls easy after yesterdays exploits. Didn't feel too bad, the glorious sunshine on Galway Bay as I ran in the prom definitely didn't hurt :D
    Average pace was 7:28.

Tuesday
    8.25mls easy. Another great day and another good run, pace 7:27.

Wednesday
    1st run - 1pm
    4mls easy at lunchtime at 7:49 pace.

2nd run - 5.30pm
    Track was frosted over so we had to move it to the rugby pitch.
    According to Daniels I was supposed to do 4 x 12mins @ threshold pace off 2mins rec. I didn't want to miss the club session, its always nice to have others to push you along, so I sort of combined the 2 sessions.

I did the first 12mins by myself, took 2:19 rec, then did 3 x 6mins with the club off 1 min rec, then I did another 12mins while the club were doing a 3min & 90 sec effort, so at least I had company for a bit of it.

Splits were
    12min - 1.93mls/6:14 pace
    6mins - .98ml/6:06 pace
    6mins - .97ml/6:12 pace
    6mins - .97ml/6:14 pace
    12min - 1.90/6:20 pace

Total Days Distance = 14.5mls

Thursday
    8.25mls easy. Felt ok after yesterday, average pace was 7:40.

Friday
    Met up with a clubmate so he joined me for 8 of my 12mls. Felt very good, strong.
    Hadn't realised the pace we were doing. Did the 8 in 58:40 or so. After that I had a 7:06, 7:05, 7:12 & 7:20, all the time 'trying' to slow myself down!
    Averaged 7:18 for the whole thing.

Saturday
    8.25mls very easy with the nephew (8:15 pace).

Sunday
    First really long run since DCM. Got out at 8:40am and didn't want to chance the roads with last nights frost.
    Ran 2 laps of a 4ml loop and then another shorted one to make up the 19mls.
    First mile was 8:04, then 7:37, every mile after that was between 7:18 & 7:29. Felt good throughout, last mile was 7:23 so didn't slow down at all.
    Tired at the end but think thats understandable.

Time:- 2:20:59 (7:25)

Week Distance = 77.25mls

Monday
    6.5mls recovery run. Was trying to keep in mind what Krusty said about a 'real' recovery run and just go nice & easy, which I think I achieved (7:45 pace)
    Felt good after yesterday's LSR.

Tuesday
    Another easy day, 8.25mls @ 7:27 pace.
    I have to say I do like the way Daniels program is structered with the 2 quality sessions per week. Lots of time to recover and get in loads of easy miles.

Have 4 x 1ml, 5mins easy, 3 x 1ml on the menu for tomorrow. May try to incorporate it into the club session somehow, their doing 3min reps!

Managed to do half of the Daniels programme.
    He had 4 x 1ml, 5mins easy, 3 x 1ml @ T pace, all off 1 min rec.

I did the 4 x 1ml first with a mate on the road.
    Times were 6:09. 6:06, 6:03 & 6:06.

Then we used the 5mins to run to the track to join up with the club.
    They were doing K's so I did 5 x 1K off 1 minute. Pace was:
    5:57, 5:47, 5:44, 5:46 & 5:35.

Good session, felt strong more or less throughout, and more importantly, at the finish. Concentrated on trying to relax.

Distance = 11.25mls

Managed to do half of the Daniels programme.
    He had 4 x 1ml, 5mins easy, 3 x 1ml @ T pace, all off 1 min rec.

I did the 4 x 1ml first with a mate on the road.
    Times were 6:09. 6:06, 6:03 & 6:06.

Then we used the 5mins to run to the track to join up with the club.
    They were doing K's so I did 5 x 1K off 1 minute. Pace was:
    5:57, 5:47, 5:44, 5:46 & 5:35.

Good session, felt strong more or less throughout, and more importantly, at the finish. Concentrated on trying to relax.

Distance = 11.25mls

hey Speedy, just so you can compare...i did that session also in my build up to dublin, about 10weeks out from the marathon. here are my times for it.

12.31m, 1:27:56mins @7:08m/m avHR166 19degs

4x 1m Tempo Splits(avHR):
    6:26(166)/6:24(169)/6:21(171)/6:19(175)
    5min Easy
    3x 1m Tempo Splits:
    6:25(173)/6:17(176)/6:14(177)

seanynova wrote: »
    hey Speedy, just so you can compare...i did that session also in my build up to dublin, about 10weeks out from the marathon. here are my times for it.

12.31m, 1:27:56mins @7:08m/m avHR166 19degs

4x 1m Tempo Splits(avHR):
    6:26(166)/6:24(169)/6:21(171)/6:19(175)
    5min Easy
    3x 1m Tempo Splits:
    6:25(173)/6:17(176)/6:14(177)

cheers for that Seany. Looks like I'm not going too bad then :rolleyes:, now if I can get similar results to you in Dublin I'll be laughing :D.

I've been actually taking sneak peeks at tbb's log as he's doing Barcelona and is also following Daniels, so I think I'm like 3wks behind him.

Not sure if its a good idea though as some of the sessions (not too mention the times he's nailing them in) are scarey :eek:

Thursday
    6.25 recovery miles. Felt pretty good after yesterday. 7:38 pace

Friday
    12mls easy. Lovely day for a run, felt really good, apart from the now usual sore left calf.

Did this a tad too fast, which I knew as the miles wore on.
    7:24, 7:08, 7:05, 7:18, 7:08, 7:11, 7:08, 7:12, 7:04, 7:07, 6:57, 6:48.

Like I said, I felt really good, very strong, relaxed. 'Tried' to slow down after a few miles but before I knew it my mind was wandering and I had thrown in another sub 7:10. The last 2mls I just let myself go a bit, wasn't a case of stepping on the gas, more like taking the foot off the break.

Wouldn't it be great if all runs were like this :)

Distance = 12mls
    Time = 1:25:35 (7:08 average)

• Advertisement

Just got confirmation that the club is sending a team up to the National Masters in Dublin on Feb 6th.

I had 13ml @ MP planned for that day, but will now move that to next Wednesday and use the race as my Q2 session. Thankfully, as it so happens, next week is only 80% of my max mileage, so I should get away with 62-64mls, so hopefully I'll be a little bit fresh for it.

Any other vintage dude's doing it?

Advertisement