Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROJECT ROTTERDAM 10.4.11

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Speedy44 wrote: »
    cheers for that Seany. Looks like I'm not going too bad then :rolleyes:, now if I can get similar results to you in Dublin I'll be laughing :D.

I've been actually taking sneak peeks at tbb's log as he's doing Barcelona and is also following Daniels, so I think I'm like 3wks behind him.

Not sure if its a good idea though as some of the sessions (not too mention the times he's nailing them in) are scarey :eek:

hahaha dont read too much into my log speedy - I think I run these things too fast to count as threshold. I can complete the sessions ok, but given your VDOT id reckon you are in better shape straight after your 6:06 miles than I am after mine :) Youre flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

hahaha dont read too much into my log speedy - I think I run these things too fast to count as threshold. I can complete the sessions ok, but given your VDOT id reckon you are in better shape straight after your 6:06 miles than I am after mine :) Youre flying.

tx for the vote of confidence, its getting close to the 'tasty sesaon' now so I'll see how I hold up under it :eek:

Best of luck tomorrow, almost wish I was doing it, almost :rolleyes:

Saturday
    6.5mls easy, 7:31 pace. Nothing to report!

Sunday
    2mls Easy, 4 x 1ml @ Threshold off 1min rec, 8mls E, 3mls T & 2mls E.

Looking forward to tackling this one, tried to run relaxed and keep enough in the tank to finish it without killing myself.

2mls easy - 7:42, 7:31

Mile time were:
    6:05
    5:53
    6:01
    6:02

8mls easy - 7:22, 7:30, 7:27, 7:23, 7:25, 7:32, 7:32, 7:29

3mls was at 6:19 pace.

2mls easy - 7:20, 7:20

Total run (19.29mls) including the 5mins rest was 2:18:19, 7:10 average pace.

Glad to get through it. Did the miles around a couple of GAA pitches, should have gone a bit slower I think so that I would have had more in the tank for the 3mls. I'm supposed to be doing them all at threshold pace, which according to my VDOT I'm working off is 5:59, but tbh, on long runs like this thats a bit optimistic. It probably more like 6:05's.

Week's Mileage = 70mls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Saturday
    6.5mls easy, 7:31 pace. Nothing to report!

Sunday
    2mls Easy, 4 x 1ml @ Threshold off 1min rec, 8mls E, 3mls T & 2mls E.

Looking forward to tackling this one, tried to run relaxed and keep enough in the tank to finish it without killing myself.

2mls easy - 7:42, 7:31

Mile time were:
    5:53
    6:01
    6:02

8mls easy - 7:22, 7:30, 7:27, 7:23, 7:25, 7:32, 7:32, 7:29

3mls was at 6:19 pace.

2mls easy - 7:20, 7:20

Total run (19.29mls) including the 5mins rest was 2:18:19, 7:10 average pace.

Glad to get through it. Did the miles around a couple of GAA pitches, should have gone a bit slower I think so that I would have had more in the tank for the 3mls. I'm supposed to be doing them all at threshold pace, which according to my VDOT I'm working off is 5:59, but tbh, on long runs like this thats a bit optimistic. It probably more like 6:05's.

Week's Mileage = 70mls

thats a great session speedy...you will be bullet proof after those sessions

Monday
    6.5mls easy, felt ok after yesterday, legs a little bit sore all over but nothing too serious.

Tuesday
    am - 4mls easy, nice to get out early (8.30am)

pm - 6.5mls easy. Felt ok at the start of this but the further I got, the more tired I got. I was only averaging 7:45-50, a good 20 secs slower than my usual easy runs. Legs felt like jelly for the last couple of miles.
    Think the recent mileage combined with a big work day yesterday caught up with me. I also walked 3mls at lunchtime with my brother so I'm sure that had something to do with it as well.

As long as I don't feel like that tomorrow for my 13mls MP :eek:

• Advertisement

Was apprehensive about going into this 'cause in the lead up to Dublin the furthest I got was 8mls MP. Although training has been going well so was quietly confident I'd handle it ok.

Almost got there, 14.25mls, here's the splits:
    7:31
    6:55
    6:46
    6:49
    6:52
    6:48
    6:39
    6:42
    6:41
    6:51
    6:50
    6:58
    .25mls - 1:45

Felt ok from the start, legs had recovered from yesterday 'jelly like' feeling. Surprised when 2nd ml was 6:55 as it that was also supposed to be an easy one. Anyway, tried to just take it easy and relax.
    Got my first experience of the damn gale force wind that was out there on the 5th mile (6:52) where I really had to work.
    Took a gel & 250ml of water at 5.25mls, would have liked to take it later but this was the best opportunity I had to drop the bottle off so I wouldn't have to carry it.
    After this, the miles fairly flew by and I was more conscious of trying to make sure I had enough in the tank for the last few miles and when I hit the wind again.

The last 4mls of the run were really, really hard. Felt like I was having the stuffin' knocked out of me. Surprised I was still keeping up with MP but it definitely wasn't easy.
    Made the decision then to cut it short. Had Sunday National XC in mind, and the fact that I had the earlier mile done at MP meant that I at least still got the 13mls MP done. (1:28 - 6:48 average).
    Still a bit mad though that I didn't push on, but with that wind, and the high mileage I've been doing, probably wouldn't have been a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Thats still a great session to get under your belt! Your body will thank you for it come marathon day. In hindsight thats what probably killed me in the last marathon, I did very little marathon pace miles and i paid for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

+1

super session today and last sunday. the second 3 are very tough arent they? I slowed significantly on them too.

good running today in terrible conditions

Thursday
    Just 6.5mls easy after yesterdays session. This was starting to get rediculas, at one point I was just running on the spot it was so damn windy :eek:

Friday
    8.25mls at 7:27/ml. Felt good, more wind :(

Saturday
    A very easy 5.5mls (7:45ml) just to get ready for tomorrow. Threw in one stride for the laugh :D
    Legs feel good, going to give it a right go tomorrow and see what happens. With all this rain I'm expecting a mud bath.
    Been trying to get the 5mm out of the spikes all day. Got 5 of them out of 1 shoe, 1 out of another :mad:.
    I hope one of the lads can help me out on the bus in the morning.

So near .............but yet!

Man, where to begin with this.

Last year I ran my first x-country race in over 20yrs and couldn't believe how hard it was. I still recall having to go through the 2 sticky patchs of deep, thick, treacle like mud each lap and how it just sapped every ounce of energy from you.

Well, today the whole damn course was like that. I have NEVER experienced anything like that. I thought before the race that I would go out conservatively for the first half and get stuck in at about 4K, after the first bend (250metres) I knew I was in trouble.

There was the usual mad sprint at the beginning, I just tried to not go too fast and stay relaxed, but once we hit that bend, all bets were off and it was just a matter of staying upright.

Once the field spread out I stayed at more or less the same place. I passed a few lads and a few more caught me. There was a couple of lads from my club that were not too far ahead of me who I was hoping to catch, but any kind of push at all just resulted in a feeling of your whole energy been sucked out of your body. There was no place at all where you could relax and open up a bit.

Anyway, I finished 46th, 12th in my catagory.

Have to say I am happy with that. Last year I was 18th, I beat a fair few lads this year who were ahead of me last time out.

Also have to say that I am really pissed off that both my club & county finished 4th, club by 3 points :(.
    Would have been nice to get a National medal.

• Advertisement

Well done on completing a nightmare course like that and improving your placing! Didnt do it myself as i just wasnt ready, only back from injury 2 months and still need to build endurance. Seen some photo's, it looked horrific!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Well done on completing a nightmare course like that and improving your placing! Didnt do it myself as i just wasnt ready, only back from injury 2 months and still need to build endurance. Seen some photo's, it looked horrific!

cheers smmoore. Believe me, you were definitely wise not to do it ;)

I see you had an adventureous run there recently, a near miss with a car wasn't it. Have to say that while I do most of my running in the quiet couuntry lanes near where I live, I love to run in the city where, as far as I'm concerned, I own the road :D. I love to dodge in and out of them while there stuck in traffic, had a few near missed alright with people opening doors at the last second or turning with no indicator.

A couple of years ago some van did that and just missed me so I gave them the one finger salute. Damn a-holes starting chasing me in the van. There was 4 of them there so I thought I'd better not get caught, now if there were 3 of them I could have taken them :rolleyes:

Monday
    Just did 6.5mls to real easy to recover from Sunday. Felt very tired before I went out but fine once I started running. Legs a bit sore too, especially just above back of right knee. Pace was 7:40/ml.

Tuesday
    At 10.30am I did 7mls easy in the city. Felt good, 7:19 pace. Surprised how good I felt actually.

At 4.45pm I did 5.5mls easy at 7:28 pace. Felt good again, although a bit tired towards the end.

Wednesday
    Normally do a Q session today, but Daniels says to take 3 easy days before & after a race, and believe me, I need every minute of the 3 days after Sunday :rolleyes:

Did 8.25mls easy, was pouring rain by the end of it but it wasn't cold. Back of right knee and lower back towards my left side are still feeling the affects of the race. Felt tired out there today as well, pace was 7:28 without any effort, I suppose I should have forced myself to slow down seen as I felt tired, but I also felt good if that makes any sence :confused:

Thursday
    2mls easy - 7:37 pace
    20mins T - 6:07 pace
    10mins easy - 7:23 pace
    20mins T - 6:09 pace
    2mls easy - 7:46 pace

Felt ok going into this, weather had cleared up nicely so it was shorts and long sleeve. Knee gave me no problems either.
    First rep I felt good, in control, first glance at watch had me at 6:19 pace, greadually increased it until I finished at the 6:07, conscious to leave some in the tank for 2nd effort.
    Ran all of this session, no break after warm up or anything. 10mins easy felt, well, easy.
    Last rep was hard, was doing it on the road where I did 2+ laps of loop. First lap was ok but the 2nd one I was pushing really hard. Was fairly shattered at the end of it.

Even though this is supposed to be my 100% week, have thought seriously about cutting back a bit. Sitting here now I feel fairily recovered, but don't want to risk overcooking it. Am eating all around me and can barely stay up after 10pm these days. I'll see how I feel tomorrow and take it from there. No real hard session again 'til next Wednesday. Have 20-21mls this Sunday but its just at an easy pace.

Distance = 11.87mls
    Time = 1:20:49 (6:48 pace)

Unsure how I was going to feel today after yesterdays tough session. Felt good from the off and surprised when the first mile was 7:40 (it's normally closer to 7:50).

Ended up averaging 7:19 for the run, one of them been 7:09 :eek: , had to really try to reign myself in. A bit sore and tired towards the end,but nothing major, could have done another few with no problem.

Good sign that I'm recovering well I suppose.

Another pleasantly surprising run :)

Distance = 12.5mls
    Time = 1:31:34

goos session last thursday speedy, you seam to have no problems hitting single figure 6:0Xm/m for tempo runs for the last few weeks....that all good, most people think a tempo pace of sub6:20m/m is enough for sub3....are you comtemplating a revised goal? a good show in craughwell and you would kind of have to, happy days!

any race coming up that you can actually use as a race fitness guage? not too hilly, muddy etc

seanynova wrote: »
    goos session last thursday speedy, you seam to have no problems hitting single figure 6:0Xm/m for tempo runs for the last few weeks....that all good, most people think a tempo pace of sub6:20m/m is enough for sub3....are you comtemplating a revised goal? a good show in craughwell and you would kind of have to, happy days!

any race coming up that you can actually use as a race fitness guage? not too hilly, muddy etc

cheers Seany. Tbh, I think I am capable of 2:55 (:eek:), but I still think I'll go out to get the sub 3, I'll decided once I get over the races and have phase 3 behind me.

I am feeling stronger all the time, the best indication to me is my rate of recovery. As you probably read, I felt shattered after Sunday XC & Thursdays session, but was still able to do 12+ at 7:19 pace yesterday with no bother.
    Should hit 80 for this week so the 2 Q sessions and the high mileage seem to be paying off. My only concern is that there doesn't appear to be any 20ml+ runs on Daniels plan, longest is 20mls or 2hrs 30mins, which of course is 20mls @ 7:30 pace. I don't think I'd want to be going much quicker than that.

As far as races are concerned, I have a 5miler in 2wks and then Craughwell in 5wks. Purely by accident my race schedule has coinsided nicely with my 'easy' week, ie - 80% of weekly mileage. Think I'm even at 70% leading into Craughwell, so that will be a mere 56mls :rolleyes:

The lads at the club have arranged a 5k timetrial for next Saturday. We'll have a few lads there close to 15mins and then a good group between 16-18mins. I'm tempted but will probably just stick with the program.

Sorry to hear about your set back again, I know its very frustrating at the moment, but get this behinid you and you'll be back, and hungrier than ever.

cheers Seany. Tbh, I think I am capable of 2:55 (:eek:), but I still think I'll go out to get the sub 3, I'll decided once I get over the races and have phase 3 behind me.

I am feeling stronger all the time, the best indication to me is my rate of recovery. As you probably read, I felt shattered after Sunday XC & Thursdays session, but was still able to do 12+ at 7:19 pace yesterday with no bother.
    Should hit 80 for this week so the 2 Q sessions and the high mileage seem to be paying off. My only concern is that there doesn't appear to be any 20ml+ runs on Daniels plan, longest is 20mls or 2hrs 30mins, which of course is 20mls @ 7:30 pace. I don't think I'd want to be going much quicker than that.

As far as races are concerned, I have a 5miler in 2wks and then Craughwell in 5wks. Purely by accident my race schedule has coinsided nicely with my 'easy' week, ie - 80% of weekly mileage. Think I'm even at 70% leading into Craughwell, so that will be a mere 56mls :rolleyes:

The lads at the club have arranged a 5k timetrial for next Saturday. We'll have a few lads there close to 15mins and then a good group between 16-18mins. I'm tempted but will probably just stick with the program.

Sorry to hear about your set back again, I know its very frustrating at the moment, but get this behinid you and you'll be back, and hungrier than ever.

i think i could have went 2:55 last oct if i ran for it but was happy enough to stay within my comfort zone till mile 21-22 - but i did suffer a set back in the final few weeks to the race and the training wasnt going well since that setback, was even a gamble running the marathon. but with all that, i had a good half marathon time under my belt, a good 15m PMP also but i was never training at the paces you are training at so you should be well on for 2:55!

the 5miler and craughwell will be good indicators, maybe just use mcmillan calc to predict an approx marathon pace after those maybe?

regarding my current set-back, ill wait and see what the scan shows but if its a stress fracture in the fermoral neck then i could be in trouble if i dont let it heal fully, thankfully i dont think i have damaged it much by my recent few mins running but the runs 3weeks ago prob will have impeeded recovery...the fracture(if it is one) occured nearly 5weeks ago, but could take a LONG time to heal and returning to running will be slow, very slow....

Saturday 12th

8.25mls easy. Felt ok, nothing to report really. Pace was a bit slower than recent (7:38) but was just running within my comfort zone.

Sunday 13th

LSR - Did 6mls by myself first then met up with the club. Lovely morning for it. First 6mls were 8:04, 7:41, 7:27, 7:25, 7:25 & 7:11, so glad of the company as the lads normally start off slow enough then build into it.
    Next 14mls were 7:42, 7:42, 8:00, 8:00 (hills), 7:27, 7:23, 7:22, 7:30, 7:30, 7:19, 7:30, 7:30, 7:22 & 7:25.

Felt good more or less for the whole thing. Quads were a bit sore coming off the hills and got a bit tired towards the end. Put this down to the tough week, not enough sleep (woke up at 5am) and had a few beers last night as the wife is off to the states on tomorrow.

Distance = 20mls
    Time = 2:31:11 (7:33)

Weeks Distance = 80mls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice weekly mileage there.

• Advertisement

Monday
    A nice short run for a change. Just did 5.5mls to recover from yesterday.
    Going slower than normal, 7:52/ml, but thats fine. Felt ok

Tuesday
    9mls easy. Felt good, more or less. Averaged 7:27/ml, wasn't pushing it at all, I just didn't feel as comfortable as I'm used to feeling. High mileage and intensity are probably catching up on me. Quads also a bit sore so did a fair bit of stretching after the run, well, a fair bit of stretching for me anyway :rolleyes:

Wednesday
    Was looking forward to getting stuck into this session, not sure why really, cause it was a gut buster, amost literally :o

8 x 1ml off 30secs.

Times were:
    6:08
    6:04
    6:04
    5:57

Did them on the road over some gentle rolling hills, at least they appeared gentle on the warm up! The odd numbers (1-3-5-7) had more of an incline.
    Felt ok at the start, wanted to keep the times as close together as possible, based on recent T runs I was looking to hit around 6:07's.
    Couldn't believe when I checked my pace after the first 1/4ml on the first one that I was on 5:58 pace :eek:
    Same thing happened for the start of the 3rd one.
    On the sixth one the 30sec break was starting to feel like it wasn't enough. I tried to relax but when I checked the pace after the 1/4 it was 6:18. Thought at that stage that I hadmisjudged my pacing and that I wouldn't be able to keep the current pace up. Dug in though and surprised when I pulled out a 6:05.
    On the 7th one my guts starting acting up and I thought I was going to be in trouble. Pushed through it and let out an almighty fart that probably scared a lot of the livestock in the fields :D
    Didn't really help too much though cause I could still feel it on the last one. Was gasping for air after the 7th, wasn't recovered at all when I had to go again. Was 6:13 at the 1/4, very surprosed when I saw I was under 6 at 3/4.

Have to say I'm very happy with that session, man it was hard. I miss doing these workouts with the club. Another one out of the way.

Distance = 12.32mls

6.5mls recovery run. Felt really good after yesterday, legs not as sore as usual and felt very strong. Pace was 7:33 but everytime I went down a hill I had the urge to push on :rolleyes:

I think from here on in some of the most important things to remember will be to be patient in my easy days and not get carried away. I still have a lot of hard sessions to come and want to make sure to nail these one's and just let the easy runs be just that.

A medium long run today.

Did 12.5mls in the cold, wind & rain. Wasn't into this before I went out the door, first few miles weren't exactly a slog, but they weren't too enjoyable either. Felt fine mind you, just wasn't into it.

In the middle of the run I felt better and was just trying to make sure not to go to fast.

Got a bit pissed off with the whole thing again towards the end of it.

Hope I don't feel like this on Sunday for the 21mls, can't really get my mind around running for that long in this weather. I think the fact that I've been doing the majority of my running by myself for the past few weeks isn't helping

Splits were:
    7:46, 7:29, 7:19, 7:19, 7:19, 7:19 7:19,
    7:12, 7:17, 7:24, 7:26, 7:30, 3:40

Time :- 1:32:23

5.5mls easy. Felt ok, really tried to take it easy with tomorrow in mind. Pace was 7:39.

Had a few beers last night but nothing major so it was ok. Still though, I have to cut them out again, and I've started to eat a small bit of sh*t food lately too, biscuits & chips (crisps). Think my mind needs some stimuatation or something. Looking forward to getting a race in soon.

Went to the track today to watch the lads do their 5000m time trial. Winner was 15:49, then one lad 16:49 and then a few more just outside 17mins, so it would have been a good one to be in.

Plan was for 2mls easy, 2 x 12mins threshold with 2mins recovery,10mls easy, 20mins at threshold and 2mls easy.

Didn't quite make it. Had to turn the last 20min T into 12mins.

Times were:
    2mls easy - 8:06, 7:35
    12mins T - 6:14/ml
    2mins rec
    12mins T - 6:04/ml
    2mins rec
    10mls easy - 7:37, 7:37, 7:41, 7:36, 7:40, 7:42, 7:49, 7:36, 7:39, 7:36
    12mins T - 6:26/ml
    2mins rec
    1ml easy - 8:26/ml
    2mins rec
    1.4mls easy - 8:20/ml

I'm wrecked, really hit the wall there big time. Stupidly ran too soon after getting up, up at 7.15am, out the door an hour later. Did that a few weeks back as well and suffered, not as bad as this though. I can get away with that ok for an easy run but not for a session like this.

In the first 12mins T, I knew it was going to be a struggle, I was at 6:34 pace after the first 2mins.
    Surprised though when I was at 5:54 pace after the first 2mins of the 2nd 12mins T. I obviously blew the pacing.

Didn't feel too bad during the 10mls. Took a gel & water 6mls into it.

Came to the realisation what I had read here a few times that even though I feel that my easy runs are easy and don't appear to take anything out of me, they probably are tapping into my glycogen stores if I am doing 12mls at 7:19 pace or something. My vdot of 59 (which is probably too high) has the easy runs at 7:29, Iprobably should be going off a 58 which is 7:37/ml.
    Before its too late I am going to make myself slow down to 7:37-40/ml for the easy days.

Anyway, went straight into the 20mins attempt and the 2min check had me at 6:34 pace. Knew I was in trouble. Managed to get it to 6:27 after another couple of minutes. Next check I was hoping to see low teens, but when I saw another 6:27, and the fact that I was working extremely hard, I figured I'd better pull the plug.
    Still had another 3 1/2 mins left to even get 12mins out of it, and man was that hard.

Took the well needed 2mins after it, but then had to take another 2mins after 1ml easy. Was wobbing a bit as well so knew I had pushed into my reserves.

May take tomorrow off, have only 4mls on anyway, only 56mls for the week thankfully. Havn't had a day off since January 4th.

I'm racing a 5 miler next Sunday so am doing my 15mls MP on Wednesday, hopefully I'll be recovered from this disaster by then. Will make sure I'm well rested and awake hours before I head out.

Distance = 20.66mls
    Time = 2:36:44

Week Distance = 72.25mls

Thats still a good session, only 8 minutes short on Threshold part. You should still get the benefits. At least now you know to give it a couple of hours before hittin the hard sessions :rolleyes:

those sessions are always going to be tough, the pacing seams a bit messed up today alright, early rempo paces should be on the button, its prob a sign that it was just a bad day at the office more than anything else, cos this week you hit 8x1m at low 6's....and to do mile 3&4 today at 6:14 with a fluxuating pace is a different story...if i were you just keep going, as you are making big gains in tempo pace - as i say, just a bad day in the office.

easy is easy - you shouldnt need a VDOT or pace table to define what easy pace is, more often that not your slowing yourself down on easy runs lately

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats still a good session, only 8 minutes short on Threshold part. You should still get the benefits. At least now you know to give it a couple of hours before hittin the hard sessions :rolleyes:

cheers smmoore. After a nice lil nap, I feel ok now, can even walk up & down the stairs so I think I'll be ok :)

Was hitting all the other Q sessions ok so I'm not too beat up about it, if I'm going to have a bad day at the office I may as well have it now eh :rolleyes:

seanynova wrote: »
    those sessions are always going to be tough, the pacing seams a bit messed up today alright, early rempo paces should be on the button, its prob a sign that it was just a bad day at the office more than anything else, cos this week you hit 8x1m at low 6's....and to do mile 3&4 today at 6:14 with a fluxuating pace is a different story...if i were you just keep going, as you are making big gains in tempo pace - as i say, just a bad day in the office.

easy is easy - you shouldnt need a VDOT or pace table to define what easy pace is, more often that not your slowing yourself down on easy runs lately

tx for the vote of confidence Seany. Will probably just take it day by day and see how I go. Think the high mileage is taking its toll on me mentally & physically.
    Looking forward to the race next Sunday though, in need of a blowout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Good tough session speedy,i think i would die if had to run 20m anytime soon,you get used to the lower mileage,it will be difficult for me if/when i do another marathon

Advertisement