Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PROJECT ROTTERDAM 10.4.11

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck tomorrow Speedy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

60 in sa mhála

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Speedy :)

tx LB, are you doing it?

Are you doing it?
    Sorry, haven't been following your posts recently, although maybe its because you haven't been actually posting ;)

Wednesday
    Just 5.5mls easy after yesterday. Recovered ok, energy level back up.
    Pace was 7:46/ml, nice 'n relaxed.

Thursday
    6.6mls easy. 7.46 pace again. Really going to try and concentrate on running easy on my easy days for the next 3wks.

Friday
    7mls in total. Did 4mls first on grass then hopped into the track and did 4 laps with a 100m stride thrown in on each lap.

Saturday
    Bit of a head cold, rainy & windy out, I wasn only going to do 4mls, so I decided to take it off.

Well, that was a disaster.

Splits:
    5:47
    6:02
    6:03
    6:10
    6:26 - 30:28
    6:29
    6:52
    7:00
    7:06
    6:21

Legs just weren't there. Decided beforehand to run my own race and not try to follow some of my club mates that were in 59 shape. Let them off from the start, was still a bit fast at mile one though, although it was downhill as well so it wasn't like I blew the race there.

Unfortunately, one of the things that concerned me before the race happened not long after mile one. I found myself in no mans land.

Was trying to run relaxed and happy enough going through miles 2 & 3. The course was the reverse from last year, but I think that may have made it harder if anything! There was a bad hill at mile 6 last year, so this year we ran down it on the 4th mile. The problem was there was a long drag just to crest the damn thing in the first place, the accent itself wasn't too steep, but it went on for a while.

At this point I had caught a few people and was trying to hang onto to them. Was 2 secs down on sub 60 at mile 4, still thought at this stage that I may be ok, but not as confident as I was before the start.

The 5th mile was a lot of uphill as well, and with a 6:26 I was done.

I was trying to latch on to a guy that I had caught and was battling with who was breathing very heavy. I noticed this because I was breathing very relaxed and thought I would break him no bother, but whenever I tried to make a move the legs just weren't there.

Going into the 2nd half of the race I was trying to calculate could I get under 61mins, then could I get under 62mins, then it was could I get a pb (62:34). I could see a clubmate of mine about 100mts ahead who had ran 59:09 in Ballycotton and thought I may be able to catch him. I thought I got a second wind on mile 6 which was slightly downhill, but when I saw it was 6:29, I knew at that point it was just a matter of getting to the finish line.

Took a gel at about 6.5mls, unfortunately it didn't have any effect.

At this point I'm not sure if I decided to phone it in, or was giving it all I had. The legs were like two lumps of concrete. I was going faster in bloody training runs. Just keep going anyway I said to myself. I definitely didn't dig in over the last 3mls, not sure that it would have made much difference anyway. Knew I had a bit there though.

A lad from the club caught me with about a mile to go and I knew he was aiming for sub 65 so I decided to pick it up and run with him. At about 600m out I figured I'd pick it up some more and try to catch the lad from the host club. Reached him with about 100m out and blew him away with my devastating sprint finish ............... about the only thing that went right all day.

Not sure what happened. Felt crap last Tuesday in my long run. Could I be low in Iron? I take multivitamins with Iron every day.

Supposed to do a 15ml pmp next Saturday. I'll see how the week goes before I make a call on that. Don't want to do it and blow up 2wks out from the marathon.

Distance = 13mls

Week Distance = 52mls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sorry to hear that.
    15 miles at mp two weeks out sounds suicidal........A compromise........Maybe a 17 with 12 at mp ? Going by last mile you gave in a little too easy today ??

Sorry to hear that.
    15 miles at mp two weeks out sounds suicidal........A compromise........Maybe a 17 with 12 at mp ? Going by last mile you gave in a little too easy today ??

hate to admit it, but your probably right. Think once I figured that I was going to get a shi* time, I decided to pack it in.

I've been following the Daniels program and he has the 15 down, but I think it may be a bit much alright.

Tx

Has daniels not 15 at mp down 3 weeks out 21 days not 14(i did it last yr and found it my best session as after it i knew i could run 26 at that pace)

Has daniels not 15 at mp down 3 weeks out 21 days not 14(i did it last yr and found it my best session as after it i knew i could run 26 at that pace)

hmm, you could be right. I think its down as the Q1 session in the 3rd final week, so Wednesday'ish, which is what, 18 days out.
    I was going to push it back to Saturday as they also say to take an easy day for every 3k raced, ie - 5 days for a 10miler.

After today though, I should/will make allowances .............

Trust your trsining. You hve the work done. Ignore todays run. You might have a virus etc.........What is the target ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hi Speedy

The daniels plan has the 15 three weeks out. I was making the same mistake - he has a Q1 session on day one of the programme, where most of us did it at the end of that week, that puts you a week behind.

I would do the 15 PMP midweek. Its an important run, aim for a pace you can manage and finish comfortably and you'll be grand - confidence restored etc.

As for the race, hard luck - you definitely gave up too soon buddy (6:52, 7:00, 7:06....thats cruising for you). IMO 5:47 is too fast for the first, cold mile, even downhill, 54 mins is a long time to race after a 5:47! Didnt sound like an ideal course either.

Its easy happen. Put it straight out of your mind. Your training times are identical to mine (if not a second or two faster)....you can definitely do this.

Trust your trsining. You hve the work done. Ignore todays run. You might have a virus etc.........What is the target ??

sub 3 -
    not meaning to make excuses or anything, but I think there is a chance I have some sort of virus. Have had a scratchy throat now for a few wks, tried antibiotics but they didn't really do anything. Woke up this morning with same thing plus runny nose.

Speedy44 wrote: »
    sub 3 -
    not meaning to make excuses or anything, but I think there is a chance I have some sort of virus. Have had a scratchy throat now for a few wks, tried antibiotics but they didn't really do anything. Woke up this morning with same thing plus runny nose.
    Lads can run sub 3 on 64 min so you did that giving up. Dont do that 15 midweek. After sunday you will have a bad run and therefore confidence will be shattered. Its all in hte head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Hi Speedy

The daniels plan has the 15 three weeks out. I was making the same mistake - he has a Q1 session on day one of the programme, where most of us did it at the end of that week, that puts you a week behind.

daniels plan is a little weird if not a little hard to follow when you get to the last 2weeks, i would have though the 15PMP was 2weeks out also from reading it, but as it happens i did mine 3weeks at as it was part of a 15m race....

so how do you read the last 3weeks then???
    3weeks to go -15m PMP
    2weeks to go - med long easy/tempo
    7days out - 1.5hour easy

back to speedys log...
    hard luck yesterday, its abit weird cos you only recently you were doing mile 17-20 at sub 6:06m/m pace so its fair to say you had a off day, and even if sub60 was a stretch too far, sub 61 wasnt! still no bother for the marathon-all the long sessions with tempo/pmp is where its at, those are in the bag already, plus loads of good quality tempo sessions and a few very fast race blowouts so, i truth sub3 will be easy for you.
    all i can say is (and said the same to tbb) my last few weeks were crap leading up to dublin following my injury and the race itself was very comfortable - cos the hard work was done! and yours is too.....think you need a pmp session, not sure when or how far though(debatable). but you already have one very solid 15m pmp in the bag....

seanynova wrote: »
    daniels plan is a little weird if not a little hard to follow when you get to the last 2weeks, i would have though the 15PMP was 2weeks out also from reading it, but as it happens i did mine 3weeks at as it was part of a 15m race....

3weeks to go -15m PMP
    7days out - 1.5hour easy
    yip - pretty sure thats it. otherwise the med long and 1.5 hours would come very close together, which doesnt make sense to me in a taper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I know you're disappointed Speedy but you still deserve a "well done" on getting through what sounded like a really tough slog from the outset and (well it seems to some of us:p) not too far off your target.
    Better to get the cold/ virus whatever out of the way now than in 2 weeks time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Going by last mile you gave in a little too easy today ??
    hate to admit it, but your probably right. Think once I figured that I was going to get a shi* time, I decided to pack it in.

Yeah you know yourself Speedy. Its all in the mind now. You have it in the legs, thats for sure. I haven't been around ART in a good while, great to see you are getting some brilliant sessions in. Craughwell being another hard session in the bag.

3weeks to go -15m PMP
    7days out - 1.5hour easy

back to speedys log...
    hard luck yesterday, its abit weird cos you only recently you were doing mile 17-20 at sub 6:06m/m pace so its fair to say you had a off day, and even if sub60 was a stretch too far, sub 61 wasnt! still no bother for the marathon-all the long sessions with tempo/pmp is where its at, those are in the bag already, plus loads of good quality tempo sessions and a few very fast race blowouts so, i truth sub3 will be easy for you.
    all i can say is (and said the same to tbb) my last few weeks were crap leading up to dublin following my injury and the race itself was very comfortable - cos the hard work was done! and yours is too.....think you need a pmp session, not sure when or how far though(debatable). but you already have one very solid 15m pmp in the bag....

tx Seany (and averyone else).

Not too dissapointed now about the race. I now have a full blown cold/flu thing going on, I'm sitting here with sweat pouring out of me as I type this :rolleyes: Hardly slept last night, hopefully it won't last too long.

Of course this also answers my dilemma about doing the 15ml PMP. Can't recall at the moment what Danials says about a layoff, but I know even if its only 2-3 days, I'll have to go easy for a few days when I come back.

Still very confident about the marathon. Think the only thing that will change is that I will now go out and just shoot for the sub 3 and forget about sub 2:55 'til I get this out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Sorry to hear about your 10m experience Speedy. Sometimes the body can feel crap without any specific reason. Rest is probably needed for a few days. The marathon is the big one so this race is just a stepping stone. There'll be plenty more 10 milers in the near future to nail that sub 60 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Only catching up with a few logs now, but sorry to read you found the 10miler tough, still a decent time tho, and you have to trust your training, you had the flu as well like!

a very good marathon is on the cards, again, trust in your training!

• Advertisement

a shi*e time. WHEN OVER 3 MIN OUT over even more you are talking muck....Speedy knows what i mean

After taking Monday & Tuesday off, I ran 6.5mls yesterday. Felt ok doing it, was about 7:47 pace. When I came back though I could feel my tonsils swollen again.
    This happened back in January and I went to the doc then after running 38:20 or something in the Athenry 10K. He diagnosed me with tonsilitis.

So went back to the doc again this morning, totally pissed off tbh.
    I told him about the maraathon and he's put me on a 7 day course of serious antibiotics that he says will clear it up once and for all. Also gave me a nasal spray as he said I am dripping back into my throat (attractive eh :rolleyes:). He also said I could run while taking them.

Almost floated out of the place. I thought I was going to have to miss a week or something.

Well, just got back from an 8.25ml run at 7:30 pace and felt bloody marvelous :D, especially since the weather was so good.

Will forget about the 15 PMP at this point, will take the Craughwell 10 as been it.

Will do Danials Wk 2 Q1 session this Sunday (med long run with 2 x 15min Tempo), next Thursday I'll do the Q2 session (2 x 2ml tempo + 30mins) and then 7 days out I'll do the 90 mins easy.

After taking Monday & Tuesday off, I ran 6.5mls yesterday. Felt ok doing it, was about 7:47 pace. When I came back though I could feel my tonsils swollen again.
    This happened back in January and I went to the doc then after running 38:20 or something in the Athenry 10K. He diagnosed me with tonsilitis.

So went back to the doc again this morning, totally pissed off tbh.
    I told him about the maraathon and he's put me on a 7 day course of serious antibiotics that he says will clear it up once and for all. Also gave me a nasal spray as he said I am dripping back into my throat (attractive eh :rolleyes:). He also said I could run while taking them.

Almost floated out of the place. I thought I was going to have to miss a week or something.

Well, just got back from an 8.25ml run at 7:30 pace and felt bloody marvelous :D, especially since the weather was so good.

Will forget about the 15 PMP at this point, will take the Craughwell 10 as been it.

Will do Danials Wk 2 Q1 session this Sunday (med long run with 2 x 15min Tempo), next Thursday I'll do the Q2 session (2 x 2ml tempo + 30mins) and then 7 days out I'll do the 90 mins easy.

If on antibiotics 6.40s could fell like 6.10s so be careful

If on antibiotics 6.40s could fell like 6.10s so be careful

funny you should say that VR. Today running 7:30's I felt like I was going faster.was very relaxed though, not pushing it at all.

Heard from the Marathon organizers and looks like I'm going to be bumped up into the 'C' pen :D

Tx for the heads up donothoponpop ;)

Ran 6.5mls easy today. Felt tired before I went out and the first mile was 8:09, slowest in ages. Was thinking what VR had said about the antibiotics. Decided just to keep runningeasy and maybe cut it to 4mls. Started to feel better though the further I went and ended up averaging 7:46 I think, all nice 'n easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

I'm going to be bumped up into the 'C' pen :D

whats the C pen pace band speedy?

hopefully there will be less conjestion there anyway...

whats the C pen pace band speedy?

hopefully there will be less conjestion there anyway...

according to Village Runner, A and B start at left side of road and C starts on other side so in fact you can start at the front and then be in a group. You have to prove that you ran a sub 3 previously (:rolleyes:), or else convince them that your going to do it this time ;).

The D pen is for 3-3:30 and apparently is huge, and as usual you get a load of people that would be lucky to break 4hrs up the front of it.

Misty was in it last year and if memory serves me correct it slowed him down in the first mile so much that he ended up doing a 6:03 for the 2nd mile :eek:

Saturday

After working on my feet all day, I decided to squeeze in 5.5mls before it got dark. Felt great at the start, first mile 7:40, next one 7:34. Next few were 7:40 as well, running easy, but around 4mls I started to feel tired, then more tired, like a car running out of petrol, I just ran out of energy. The 5th mile was 7:57 & last 1/2ml 8:20 pace.

Thinking it was probably the days work and the antibiotics. Legs felt shaky for the rest of the evening and I went to bed at 10pm for a good nights rest.

Sunday

Wasn't even sure if I should run after yesterdays effort. Decided to head off and swing back around the house at 6.5mls incase I was suffereing.

I did
    35mins easy - 7:55 pace
    15mins Tempo - 6:08
    32 easy - 7:47
    15 tempo - 6:05
    2mls easy - 7:47

Very happy to get this done. Very much in control on the tempo's. Wouldn't have been surprosed to be doing them at 6:30 with the way I've been going recently, so to be only a few secs down on whrere I was a few wks back, I'l take that!

Still have the effects of the cold, lots of flem and all that. Throat feels ok though.
    Rest day tomorrow, finish the antibiotics on Wednesday.

Distance = 15.18mls
    Time = 1:50:54

WEEK DISTANCE = 47.5mls

Saturday

After working on my feet all day, I decided to squeeze in 5.5mls before it got dark. Felt great at the start, first mile 7:40, next one 7:34. Next few were 7:40 as well, running easy, but around 4mls I started to feel tired, then more tired, like a car running out of petrol, I just ran out of energy. The 5th mile was 7:57 & last 1/2ml 8:20 pace.

Thinking it was probably the days work and the antibiotics. Legs felt shaky for the rest of the evening and I went to bed at 10pm for a good nights rest.

Sunday

Wasn't even sure if I should run after yesterdays effort. Decided to head off and swing back around the house at 6.5mls incase I was suffereing.

I did
    35mins easy - 7:55 pace
    15mins Tempo - 6:08
    32 easy - 7:47
    15 tempo - 6:05
    2mls easy - 7:47

Very happy to get this done. Very much in control on the tempo's. Wouldn't have been surprosed to be doing them at 6:30 with the way I've been going recently, so to be only a few secs down on whrere I was a few wks back, I'l take that!

Still have the effects of the cold, lots of flem and all that. Throat feels ok though.
    Rest day tomorrow, finish the antibiotics on Wednesday.

Distance = 15.18mls
    Time = 1:50:54

WEEK DISTANCE = 47.5mls

Good stuff Speedy- especially when sick. Have had a chest infection the last while so I def sympathise! Hope you kick the bug now.

• Advertisement

Monday
    Rest day

Tuesday
    5.5mls easy, nothing to report, 7:33 pace

Wednesday
    8mls easy, felt good
    Finished antibiotics :D

Thursday
    Last 'hard' session

2mls easy, 2 x 2mls Tempo with 3mins rec(6:06, 6:00), 3.75mls easy.

Felt pretty good. First 2mls warm up was 8+/ml so wasn't sure what the session was going to bring.
    With finishing the meds yesterday, I was hoping to have a bit more energy in the tank.

Did them on the track and was pleasantly surprised with it. First mile of the first 2mls was 6:09, then 2nd one in 6:03.
    When I started the 2nd 2mls I checked the watch and was at 5:47 :eek:, then again the wind was behind me. 1st ml was 6:02 and the last one 5:58.

Good for the confidence after the past few wks.

Advertisement