Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Vs. Bodyboarding

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Has anyone any thoughts on this? been trying my hand at body boarding lately and have to say i love it completely different beast to surfing! one thing is when you say you have been bodyboarding for the day, no one really takes you seriously! haha!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Anytime I head down the coast I would throw in the bodyboard, but always seem to stick to the surfboard....I find it hard to catch a wave properly on the bodyboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

This is something I have never tried.....
    How would you describe completely different beast, i.e. why would you ever choose one over the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Just choose the craft for the conditions.
    If it's a very fast very steep wave that you might not be able to pop up on, take the bodyboard.
    You'll feel much more confident pulling into close out barrels with a light piece of foam rather than a much stiffer snapable surfboard.

If it's not hollow don't even think about the bodyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 partybarnacles

i bought a surfboard a while back but every time i head to my break with the stick and the sponge, the sponge wins every time. i love it too much.
    although i would like to progress my standup, with the fun you can have on a bodyboard i find it hard to see the point in changing

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭pswanto

i bought a surfboard a while back but every time i head to my break with the stick and the sponge, the sponge wins every time. i love it too much.
    although i would like to progress my standup, with the fun you can have on a bodyboard i find it hard to see the point in changing

Here! the fun wins out everytime! :D you fell much more easily accessible adrenalin if ya get me! 15ft drop ins are fun on a sponge not scary! with a 6 foot whatever fiber glass stick you would be ****ting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 partybarnacles

W.O.R.D to the BB hombre, although sometimes i do fear for my head attacher lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 peaceablecunt

the guy having the most fun is the guy getting the most waves..........been trying stand-up now for about a year. been bodyboarding for three... if it's big heavy and hollow i'm on the sponge... no question. respect to anyone no matter their means of transportation.

I'm too fat for the sponge I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

the guy having the most fun is the guy getting the most waves..........been trying stand-up now for about a year. been bodyboarding for three... if it's big heavy and hollow i'm on the sponge... no question. respect to anyone no matter their means of transportation.

I hear that. Bodyboarding is great fun, I never go anywhere without my fins and boog. But tiny 2 foot waves well then i crack out the stand up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

i've been bodyboarding for years and took surf at some stage too -- got a nice thruster a few months back but i ditched it very quickly and got back to my bodyboard

from the posts i see above, thinking that you can just grab a piece of sponge and catch some waves it's completely false -- it's doable but it can be not so simple as that -- in an analogy to the surfboard, you need to get the right board for you and the type of wave you'll be charging

it's a conversation that can get TL/DR but, trying to keep it short and basic:

a) the board's length should be as tall as your belly-buttom when you're standing up, flat feet and no shoes (i'm 5'6 tall so my boards are 39'' of length-- if you exceed the 42'' inch distance, then use a 42'' board)

b) you're deck should be 60/40 if the waves are small both in height and strength and 50/50 if bigger and stronger (60/40 makes the board more loose and gives a bit more maneuver for small waves, 50/50 is for stability)

c) make sure the board has channels so you cut the wave when surfing unbroken (and don't have that feeling you're being pushed sideways)

d) make sure the material you're using (e.f.c., polyethylene, e.b.s) it's the correct for the water temperature (i'm using cell--polyethylene in irish waters)

e) make sure the board has enough "rocker" (how straight and stiff it can be) given the water-- stringer(s) will provide the rocker and stiffness -- you'll need enough buoyancy so it doesn't sink when you're paddling or trying to catch the wave (i'm pushing on 12.5 stone so my boards have 2 pro-stringers in them)

f) the shape of the board is somewhat important - prone has a wide-point more to the top, making it easier to catch waves but harder to hold on drop-knee; drop-knee has the wider point more to the center of the board allowing it to be easier to hold when in dk position; versatile (my favorite shape) has the wide point somewhere between the two

g) i left the tails for last as i've seen it's a matter of choice rather than functionality (loads of different opinions on this, anyways)-- i think clipped crescent it's the tail that works better for me, and full-crescent being the second choice-- but a lot of people have different opinions

/enter [mode] show-off

this is the board i've been using-- had it custom made given my height and weight (very hard to find decent 39'' boards with 2 pro-stringers-- the ones i found where only 20 or 30 quid cheaper than the custom so i rather go for a custom shaped one)-- it's a cell, versatile, 60/40, 2 pro-stringers and clipped-crescent tail

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

as i got a bit more confident on what i'm doing, i decided to change a few things so i ordered another board 1'' wider, versatile but with a slight difference on the wide point, 50/50 and 2 pro-stringers again and also clipped crescent (it's like a slightly wider and stabler version of the previous one)-- as i've been going for slightly bigger waves i'm hoping for a bit more stability

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

to wrap this up, i never duck-dive without my faithful churchill makkapu -- i've tried stealth and some other brand i can't remember the name but i'm sold and will never use any other than churchill fins -

amagad ! sorry for the so long post - hope it's not an effing drag to read

• Advertisement

is the board really that important? like my board is pp but i dont see it as a problem, ive only been bodyboarding a few months i can carve, roll, spin, get air? and everyone is like, ooooohh you've got a pp core board you'll slide out straight away? tbh i just got the first board that was the right size in the shop, its a 42" alder something or other €110?? i love it personally?

like in any other sport: yes, the right gear is important -- is it crucial ? absolutely not

maybe my post sound misleading, which wasn't the intention -- you can get the most of it even with a piece of wood (literally); at some stage gear will set you back and more appropriate gear will have you progress

if I use myself as an example, I used to get in the water minimum of 2 times per week (beach was not more than 10 milles from my place) -- ever since I'm in Ireland (for the last 6 years) I'd say I've going an average of 2 times per month -- and no surfing from October to march because I can't stand the cold -- I find that with proper gear I can make the most of it, catch more waves -- is it crucial ? absolutely not, since it feels I'm going just a few times per year and sometimes I get in the water and laugh at my really poor water fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Tell me do you get cramps in your legs, I used to body board, was learning to surf at the same time. I ended up giving up body boarding for two reasons. I was getting good an neither by splitting my time between the two but mostly because I was getting bad cramps in my calf muscles, often both would go. Ten year on they still give me pain of I stretch them to much. Came close to getting speared by a shot board one day because I was in the wrong spot when the guy came off his board and it went flying, stopped shot on his leash. I saw it coming but both my legs we cramped up and I couldn't move. That was the last time I used the BB seriously

Tell me do you get cramps in your legs, (...) used the BB seriously

yup - i'd say it's pretty common - i stretch and warm up before i go into the water but sometimes looks like it only buys me 10 or 20 mins

i noticed i get it a lot more here in ireland due to both colder water having to wear socks -- even though they're 2mm, my feet seem to get a bit less blood flowing since it's a lot tight with the fins

yup - i'd say it's pretty common - i stretch and warm up before i go into the water but sometimes looks like it only buys me 10 or 20 mins

i noticed i get it a lot more here in ireland due to both colder water having to wear socks -- even though they're 2mm, my feet seem to get a bit less blood flowing since it's a lot tight with the fins

It ain't fun when you catch a good wave, well over head (stand up) and your calf muscle snaps up into a ball, massive pain and trying to get to the end of the wave and safe water. Still must give it a go again over the winter, even for one scession.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Tell me do you get cramps in your legs, I used to body board, was learning to surf at the same time. I ended up giving up body boarding for two reasons. I was getting good an neither by splitting my time between the two but mostly because I was getting bad cramps in my calf muscles, often both would go. Ten year on they still give me pain of I stretch them to much. Came close to getting speared by a shot board one day because I was in the wrong spot when the guy came off his board and it went flying, stopped shot on his leash. I saw it coming but both my legs we cramped up and I couldn't move. That was the last time I used the BB seriously

I use't to suffer fairly intense cramping of the legs but i have discovered a fix for this.As well as making sure your stretching correctly drink tonic water before getting into the water.I swear by it never get intense cramps since i started using it a few years back.I know it tastes rank but its worth it,couple of my buddies drink it aswell.Nothing worse than padding into a wave and both legs seizing up!!

In my opinion lot more fun and rush from bodyboarding,went to Hawaii a few years back and the feeling of dropping into a 6 foot close out shore break in waimea just cant be gotten stand-up.

BZ wrote: »
    I use't to suffer fairly intense cramping of the legs but i have discovered a fix for this.As well as making sure your stretching correctly drink tonic water before getting into the water.I swear by it never get intense cramps since i started using it a few years back.I know it tastes rank but its worth it,couple of my buddies drink it aswell.Nothing worse than padding into a wave and both legs seizing up!!

In my opinion lot more fun and rush from bodyboarding,went to Hawaii a few years back and the feeling of dropping into a 6 foot close out shore break in waimea just cant be gotten stand-up.

Thanks for that I'll give it ago, small cans of tonic water are cheap in Lidl so can't hurt to keep a few in the van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

To help prevent cramping, you could also try a sports drink - they have electrolytes in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Good thread guys, thanks for sharing so many details Luis. I ve been meaning to get a set of fins and a bodyboard since my last day on a reef that ive been trying to surf.It was about 4-5+ on sets barreling and a guy that came with me was getting barrel after barrel really deep on his sponge. Whereas I was having a tough time standing, lost a fin and bruised my arse which was hard to explain to herself:eek:. Where's the best place to get kitted up as a newbie? the fins I don't mind as I can use them for general snorkelling, but whats a good value entry level board. You seldom see 2nd hand sponger gear on adverts or donedeal etc either, pity.

I got one off of kingofwatersports in a sale. I got a bigger size for about 50 pounds. I used it a bit, but went back to the board. I find the hard part, even with the fins is catching a good wave, though like everything, some practice makes perfect.........

how do folks find the best technique is for getting a wave. I usually start off trying to take it at an angle, and would have my arm closest to the wave stretched out to the tip of the bodyboard, so I am almost leaning into the wave...seems to work sometimes...

• Advertisement

VNP where are you based, if your in the cork, i got mine in incide surf shop on patricks hill? i got fins and a board and a nice leash for 120 i think? lads in there are sound, and Vic, (the tall guy) is a legend and used to be a bodyboarder and can point you in the right direction :)

Seachto7, youtube is your man for that! they have a surprising amount of in depth bb tutorials :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

How come you never see old guys bodyboarding?

FlashD wrote: »
    How come you never see old guys bodyboarding?

couldnt tell ya? a lot of the older lads switch to longboards after short boards, presumably because it is a bit less demanding, but i would consider body boarding a good move to?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

Hey Flash d Yeah ive seen some older guys with the sponge in hand in sligo hope i can do that when im their age.
    Thanks Pswanto Im the other end of the country but sure i might go cork direction for a spin some time havn't been in years.
    I' m afraid to deal with kingofwatersport after a suit i ordered next day delivery was a few weeks late and i lost the head:o, they might have me on a list of some type, but they do some low prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Great tips on the cramping - I get cramp when I wear neoprene socks inside my fins all the time. Not really an issue for the summer but good to know!

I was getting really frustrated after 2/3 years not being able to pop up properly on my surf board, haven't given it a second thought since I got my sponge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Seen them out on longboards for sure, windsurfing and kitesurf rigs but seriously have never seen an 'older' bodyboard surfer at any break.

Maybe it seems wrong for old guys to bodyboard but it even looks hell of a lot easier to get the hang of and less demanding than other watersports I seen the older crew trying to get the hang of.

yo, a quick one.

My bodyboard comes to about an inch below my bellybutton. It's an ultra 42 (circle one). When I have used it, I did find it hard to get "poke" out of it, as in I have a feeling I could be a bit heavy for it......

I would have used it in Spanish Point and Brandon Bay mainly......

I'm about 6ft 2, and 14/15 stoneish (dunno off the top of my head....!)

should I look at a 46" altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I am 6'4 and about 15 st+ and I use a 46" and I am looking to move down to a 44".

the reason being that when I am paddling for the wave and I feel the wave pulling me the board is too long to pull myself up on and put weight on the front to get speed and so I tend to lose a few waves.

While the rule of thumb is to have the board up to your bellybutton I would never go over that but I think an inch or two shorter may be better sometimes.

You only know yourself once you have tried the various sizes,

frAa

Advertisement