Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Protection Claim

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I bought a house last March with my partner, but in July was made redundant..bummer I know... But when we were in with the bank we said wed pay into a policy whereby if one of us got sick or was made redundant we would be covered.

However I have been on Disability Allowance for the last 7 years, at a reduced rate whilst working, and got full rate when i finished up. and I was told by the Social Welfare it would be less hassle if I stayed on D.A. rather then change to job seekers allowance.

Because of this I cant claim in my mortgage protection....

Anyone have any advice :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

These schemes only pay out in a limited set of circumstances, for a set amount of time, and you usually don't get the payment for a few months (allowing the mortgage to go into arrears).

The conditions are set out in the policy you signed for, if you asked them this question, and they told you it was ok, you may be able to do something (mis sold a policy).

Why can't you change to JSA? Have you explained the reason why to SW?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I was told by the Social Welfare it would be less hassle if I stayed on D.A. rather then change to job seekers allowance.

Sorry OP, but I can't give much advice on the policy side, but in regards to your comment above - do you have this in writing? technically if you are on DA but signed off by a doc then you should be on JSA. If they investigated and found you were claiming the wrong benefit, they could come after you. And telling them you were 'told' to stay on it cos it would be easier will not wash.
    I would get this sorted ASAP, in order to avoid future headaches.

Advertisement