Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really need advise

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

If there is anyone that can give me some advise it would mean so much

I have been working for a company for nearly 2 years, i have taken on extra responsibilities etc when my manager became an area manager, where she would be out of the premises for 1-2 days of the week plus her days off.. recently she left the company and i got a new manager... at the moment i'm doing her job along with my own as she is not very good at it..

my issue is that i found out yesterday that there will be a new premises opening soon, and that another member of staff who is in the same position as me, has been offered the position of manager.. she is in the company less than 2 months..

My question is can my employer just offer a new position to anyone they like without advertising it within the company? As they state in thier employee handbook they are "an equal opportunities employer" I have never had any complaints about my work, have done overtime etc, taking on extra responsibilities without a pay-rise or complaining.. am i wrong for feeling victimised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭skyline1515

I meant to mention that i am the assistant manager in the business with 5 years experience :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

To be honest it's not uncommon to have someone in mind for an internal job... the job will probably be advertised and supprisingly that person will be the most suitable candidate. It's the way of the world in many companies.

You seem to have a bit of a negative vibe towards managment and they may have picked up on that at some stage...

I hope i didn't come across as negative, at work i am professional and i will bend over backwards to help anyone, including the new manager.. if she is having trouble with something i will help her.. . maybe i just need to sit down with the head guy when he is around and ask him straight out what i'm doing wrong in my job!!! just don't know how to approach the subject as it is very hard to get this guy to sit down and have a discussion with.. :confused:

I have also looked at all the recruitment sites and i have not seen the job advertised, and the girl that got the job has told me that he would be advertising the job if she did not want it..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you quite sure this is not a colleague with a great deal of imagination... or who is winding you?

I believe what she says, as i have just found a recruitment site advertising the job of assistant manager, in the location the store will be, also it gives the company details on the site... I am delighted for her as she is a good worker.. and she has been so upfront with me about the whole issue. It will not be made public knowledge until next week, so i cannot approach the head guy about it yet as he will know who told me and it will may her look unprofessional and untrustworthy.. i just do not know what to do about the whole thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,511 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I believe what she says, as i have just found a recruitment site advertising the job of assistant manager, in the location the store will be, also it gives the company details on the site... I am delighted for her as she is a good worker.. and she has been so upfront with me about the whole issue. It will not be made public knowledge until next week, so i cannot approach the head guy about it yet as he will know who told me and it will may her look unprofessional and untrustworthy.. i just do not know what to do about the whole thing..

If the job is being advertised on a recruitment site, what is to stop you going to the boss and expressing an interest? If you don't 'know' the job is gone it would be perfectly reasonable.

looksee wrote: »
    If the job is being advertised on a recruitment site, what is to stop you going to the boss and expressing an interest? If you don't 'know' the job is gone it would be perfectly reasonable.

The role of assistant manager is being advertised on the site not the role of store manager which is the one which has been offered to my co-worker..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Def have a chat with the 'head guy' and make sure he knows you are interested in moving up within the business, with expansion he should be delighted to have someone interested in promotion. Ask him what can you do to be considered for the next managers job or covering any other manager's holidays etc.

Have the chat on that pretense and bring up the most recent appointment in a respectful way.

that is what i was thinking.. I will have to plan what i will say as i do not want him to figure out i knew before it was made public, as my co-worker would be in trouble and i would look like a trouble maker.. Even thou i really want this job, there is no way i would land her in it to get it..

Advertisement