Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog put to sleep

Options
  • 29-10-2010 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

This is not a question I relish having to ask.

Essentially, my 18 year old dog has taken a bad turn the past few days and its become obvious that she needs to be put down.

I came home today to see that she can barely walk, is breathly heavily and is deliarious to say the least.

My question is how much does it cost to have a vet call out and put her to sleep? I live in the Dublin area.

Also do they take the body away?

I'm glad to say this is my first time having to contemplate such questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Sorry to hear that. Why don't you ring your local vet - maybe you will have to bring your pet into the vet - that's what I had to do a few years ago. We brought our cat home then and buried her in the back garden. But I think the vets can arrange disposal of the body if thats what is wanted. We had to have the funeral in the garden so the kids could say goodbye and plant some flowers on top!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Sorry to hear that. Why don't you ring your local vet - maybe you will have to bring your pet into the vet - that's what I had to do a few years ago. We brought our cat home then and buried her in the back garden. But I think the vets can arrange disposal of the body if thats what is wanted. We had to have the funeral in the garden so the kids could say goodbye and plant some flowers on top!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Sorry to hear about your dog, 18 is a good age.
    Some vets now offer cremation, either group cremation or individual cremation (which is more expensive). Best thing is to ring around and ask vets what they can do, some might do a house call but with a call out fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It's an awful situation to be in, OP. We had to put down our dog last year, and we brought him to the vet to have it done. But we brought the dog home to bury him in his favourite spot in the garden. We've always done it with any dog that we had to have put down. I wouldn't like the idea of not being able to have a 'funeral' or bury the dog somewhere in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

sorry to hear that. at 18 he had a good long life :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

magentas wrote: »
    sorry to hear that. at 18 he had a good long life :)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry to hear that, it's never an easy thing to do.

Depending on where you live, there may be laws preventing you from burying the body for the protection of local water sources. Shouldn't be a problem in the city though.
    In any case, the vet can arrange a cremation. Speak to the vet - there are respectful cremation services out there that don't just treat your beloved friend like a piece of cattle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Sorry to read this OP. We all go through this as dog owners. But you should be proud as 18 years is an amazing age for a dog. My RR was put down on Christmas Eve 2008, two weeks after I got married so at least he was around for that. The vets called to my house and he passed away in my arms. I had him individually cremated and his ashes mounted in a frame with a picture of him in it. It hangs in my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

So sorry about your dog, 18 is a fabulous age though and I hope one day the pain of their passing is replaced with all the wonderful memories you have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Sorry to hear that,I found it a very hard thing to do, I got both my springers as pups within a few weeks of each other, and at a good age of 17 had to get them both put down within a few weeks of each other, one from cancer and one because he lost all mobility in his back legs from arthritis.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Putting a dog to sleep to avoid further suffering may be hard but it is the kindest thing that you can do. Your dog can't make the decision & it is relying on you. If the dog is OK in the car then it may be better to take him to your nearest Vet who will be very understanding & sympathetic. Most Vets will give you an appointment at a quiet time.

This may sound strange but when I have had to do this my tears have been tempered by knowing that I did the absolute best that I could for the dog. He has given you 18 wonderful years that you have to bring to the kindest end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

wow 18 is a fantastic age
    i had to put my special little guy to sleep 2 years ago, its a horrible thing to have to do, but he was suffering. We had him cremated it can take a few weeks to get the ashes back but I would recomend it to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

hi sorry to hear about your situation i put may dog millie to sleep last november
    the vets were so kind i brought her in we had a last spin in the car and she died in my arms took her home overnight to say goodbye to her friends then had her cremated and she in now in an urn in my rooms. i intend to have her ashes scattered with mine its in my will!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Oh I really feel for you OP - the day we had to get our dog put down was easily one of the worst of my life. 5 years later and it can still make me tear up! It was the right thing to do though because he was very ill and starting to suffer. We didn't want to upset him so a trip to the vet's was out of the question. His usual vet wouldn't come to the house (not a very understanding person :mad:) so I rang around until I found a vet that would, and a nice vet and vet nurse came out the house and were just lovely, very kind and understanding. It was definitely a lot less traumatic for everyone. He went to sleep in my parents arms.
    If you do end up having to bring him into a vet's office make sure you are able to stay with him until he closes his eyes. My sister did a month's work experience in a local vet's practice and came back with horrible stories of how they treated the poor dogs who were brought in to be pts. Callous to say the word.

Advertisement