Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk1 Pajero or Fourtrak ??

• 29-10-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy one for some winter messing and green laning. Which one would people recommend? Given my budget either will be very high mileage...anything to watch out for???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Daihatsu's were the last of the old tech leaf sprung jap 4x4s and pretty much indestructible but that and the Paj will be well ratty by now. You don't state your budget but I assume it's it's not a lot! ;)

For just messing, either will do as the mechanics will probably be Ok, just the bodywork and interior could be pretty rough.

When I worked on the M7 Nenagh - Limerick doing my best to wreck L200 and Ranger transmissions, the guys maintaining a load of hired in ADTs had a Fourtrack that was a complete wreck, it never missed a beat and went everywhere in the most appalling conditions.

Also consider a Suzuki SJ, Jimny or Vitara, in a similar class when it comes to what you want. If you have a sado-masochistic streak, an old Land Rover is good fun :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

It depends what you want to use it for and what you want out of it. Mileage is a non issue, these are too old to worry about mileage, it's the condition of it NOW that's the issue, if it's been looked after reasonably it'll be grand.

Both of those have their good and bad points.

I've only just seen thi snow and im off out the door, in a bit of a rush, but i'll check back later and if nobody else has said what i would say, i'll give a rundown of my experience of both

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭baldyshane

As the owner of a 91 SWB 4trak TD with 160k no the clock I can't recommend them highly enough as something to use and abuse. I use it for pulling a horsebox at weekends through all sort of muck & sh1te. 4wd never lets me down even with a double horsebox on behind.

These are a rough and ready piece of kit however so don't expect much in the line of comfort(the heater in mine is excellent though).

One thing to look out for is the locking hubs on the front wheels. Try and get the manaul lockers as the automatic ones can slip with age if they are not looked after. Mine are automatic though and I have NOT had any probs but worth checking out.

Here is a cheap solid looking example that might be of interest (I would if I had space to hide it from herself)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/1658010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what about an old hilux, 4wd, bulletproof, bit of fun, can be got for around a grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

right, back now anyway, will just pm you instead of goin into a big essay here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 tezzy_v2

does it need to be road legal? :cool:

I use to campaign a Suzuki SJ413 in the national off road championship with my dad. its been in the shed for the past couple of years as im in dublin now (its located in south carlow, only half an hour from waterford). Full cage, 2 inch lift kit, MT tyres etc and there's another SJ for spares. Body work is rough enough as it took plenty of tumbles but never missed a beat mechanically over 4 or 5 seasons. The engine is a bit smokey but the spares wagon has a lump with only about 40k on the clock.

He just sold the car transporter we used to bring it to events so i presume a semi decent offer would take it away at this stage.

Will post up a few pics of it in action if you're interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Pajero all the way.

The 4 Trak is a complete oddball in terms of parts at this stage, and its only going to get worse. (It was never much to start with IMHO, Jap designed without consideration for local deployment

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭baldyshane

All 4Trak parts are available new from either Daihatsu main dealers or Milner off road in the UK. Most Daihatsu stuff is Toyota based so it is as easy to get as 20 year old Mitsubishi stuff. I do have a 4trak leaning though as previously stated so I get a bit protective of my old bus. Seriously though I have always found parts easy to find.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Thanks for the replies lads...the search continues !

Advertisement