Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Important Post spin hydration - Coffee - when high5 just doesn't cut it

• 29-10-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

As christmas is approaching i'm planning on asking the OH for a decent coffee machine. Any recomendations - nespresso??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Get the best grinder you can afford, these guys'll tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Get the best grinder you can afford, these guys'll tell you.

there are other forums on boards???? who'd a thunk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

well nespresso uses its own capsules, so no grinder necessary.

if you want good coffee, best option is an espresso machine and grinder. expensive for both, but then you can use whatever coffee you want, not tied to nespresso...

another option is an ESE machine, that takes ESE pods of coffee (simply pre tamped ground coffee in a paper sleeve). similar to NEspresso in that you are stuck to # of ESE pod suppliers, however greater than Nespresso.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have a De'Longhi Magnifica. Built in grinder that only grinds enough for each cup. It lives up to it's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would not go with Nespresso; you are tied then to a limited range of highly overpriced coffee. I have a basic Gaggia (I think the Classic) and it works fine. I don't have a grinder but the coffee from people that do does taste better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

also running a classic, with a grinder on the wishlist. If CRC sold them I'd already have one. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

uberwolf wrote: »
    also running a classic, with a grinder on the wishlist. If CRC sold them I'd already have one. :o

presume you mean chainreactioncycles rather than www.crc.ie!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Coffee is discusting!

That is all :pac:

ajk24 wrote: »
    there are other forums on boards???? who'd a thunk it.
    Care+Bear+Stare.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Coffee is discusting!

blasphemer!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a Nespresso machine, a decent grinder, an expensive traditional machine, and a stove-top pot.

The Nespresso machine gathers dust in the kitchen. The traditional machine gathers dust in the attic.

The stove-top pot is the winner. I use the grinder about once a week to produce a fresh batch of grounds.

It's a bit difficult to explain why I prefer this approach. I started doing it when I lived (briefly) in Bologna, out of necessity. Then when I got back I didn't want to use my (perfectly functional) coffee machines any more. There's something fundamentally satisfying about making coffee using flames and bits of metal that screw together.

I suppose for consistency I ought to sell all my SRAM trinkets and power meters and go back to steel frames and downtube shifters.

Also, some people who know much more about coffee than I do think that all espresso is muck because the heat and pressure destroys all the volatile flavour compounds in the coffee.

Lumen wrote: »
    Also, some people who know much more about coffee than I do think that all espresso is muck because the heat and pressure destroys all the volatile flavour compounds in the coffee.

this is true, a lot of people would prefer the french press brew for the fuller range of the flavour, rather than the intense burst of espresso, or espresso derived drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

nesprsso all the way....im addicted to mine, perfect every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

I have a DeLonghi "Treviso" espresso machine and a Krupps burr grinder. Both are great and pretty cheap. €80 for the machine and €60 for the grinder. The grinder is easily adjustable from fine to coarse so if you do fancy a go off the French press you just turn a dial.

Now....where are you going to buy your beans?!?!

At the risk of stating the obvious, you can't "hydrate" yourself with an espresso. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

It's a bit difficult to explain why I prefer this approach. I started doing it when I lived (briefly) in Bologna, out of necessity. Then when I got back I didn't want to use my (perfectly functional) coffee machines any more. There's something fundamentally satisfying about making coffee using flames and bits of metal that screw together.

i agree completely! spent a week in italy earlier in the year and made myself an espresso with one of these things every morning and there was something far more satisfying about it!

Where can I get one in Ireland ????? (i dont mean where exactly - but even what type of shop would sell them?)

edit - sorry i forgot google is my friend - arnotts, 18 euro :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Wait, have I just found out that my little bialetti is the fixie of coffee makers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

It can be... or it can be like the one I'm going to buy sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Tried many coffee machines in my time. Got a Nespresso and it's been the best one. For consistent, good tasting coffee it can't be beat. (emphasis on consistent). Too many times with my other machines I would end up with muck.

• Advertisement

At the risk of stating the obvious, you can't "hydrate" yourself with an espresso. :)

just reading a reference somewhere this morning that the diuretic affect is much less pronounced in athletes.

bodum.png
    on the coarsest setting.

41XTEoDQI4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    to get rid of the fines.

Then this with a bit more stirring. I usually make 3-4 cups and pour into a thermos.
    ...Considering getting this and this as an alternate budget method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

got a nespresso last year, great job. i especially like the double-walled glass cups.

the good folks at nespresso probably love eejits like me

uberwolf wrote: »
    just reading a reference somewhere this morning that the diuretic affect is much less pronounced in athletes.

Yeah, but what about people like us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

'68 wrote:
    I have a DeLonghi "Treviso" espresso machine

+1 for that machine - but the gaggia ones look so much nicer

but for true euro compliance surely it should be a saeco one ?

and what about a bean roaster if your not freshly roasting your beans your not getting the full flavour !

if you already have a nespresso

http://www.coffeesupplies.eu/coffeeduck-nespresso-cups.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Coffee is discusting!

debunkers.jpg

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Where can I get one in Ireland ????? (i dont mean where exactly - but even what type of shop would sell them?)
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/50149838

This is what I use.
    I have a gaggia that is up in the attic that just need a service. I loved the espresso that came out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I always have a shot of espresso before heading off on my morning spins which, if they are less than 90 minutes, are done fasted. Read that in a magazine.

George Gregan, the Aussie Scrumhalf, always swore by coffee and espresso before a match, and now has his own range of coffee. A lot of rugby players take caffiene tablets just before a game which also has the added benefit of keeping you going for the after match shenanigans!!

I've an ese pod machine and use Illy pods in it as well as some of my own ground stuff. Apart from the palpitations from taking it to excess it's quite nice.

Caffeine was recently derestricted by WADA presumably because it has no net performance benefit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There's something fundamentally satisfying about making coffee using flames and bits of metal that screw together.

For some reason I too prefer coffee out of one of those pots, no idea why.
    I suppose for consistency I ought to sell all my SRAM trinkets and power meters and go back to steel frames and downtube shifters.

Good advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Im totally lost by this thread, can somebody explain it to me? Coffee being a diuretic and all that jazz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

kona wrote: »
    Im totally lost by this thread, can somebody explain it to me? Coffee being a diuretic and all that jazz?

Well, I'm not sure they are totally serious. I recall reading that the diuretic effect is somewhat offset by the amount of water in the coffee (if you drink Americanos, or tea like a regular person), plus your body adapts anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The diuretic effect, I think, is simply a function of the stimulant effect of caffeine - it elevates your heart rate and is a vaso-constrictor. More blood through the kidneys at higher pressures means more excretion.

The article I read on caffeine-fuelled, fasted cycling was quite clear on two points - first, you shouldn't do more than 90 mins and second, you need to take plenty of fluids on board while you're cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

From what I've read and my own experience the "stove top" percolators don't make good coffee. Water's too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I have toyed with the idea of getting a decent coffee machine but reckon it would end up gathering dust and I wouldn't get a return on the investment so for years I have been using a decent French Press and good quality coffee. my current favourite coffee is "illy - Espresso" pre ground.

• Advertisement

I have toyed with the idea of getting a decent coffee machine but reckon it would end up gathering dust and I wouldn't get a return on the investment so for years I have been using a decent French Press and good quality coffee. my current favourite coffee is "illy - Espresso" pre ground.

I'm a tea person (mmm tea), but isn't using espresso ground coffee in a french press wrong? Too fine so it just clogs up the mesh I thought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I'm a big coffee fan and have (as you would expect of me) lots of different coffee gadgets for making different types. What I end up using is the Gaggia Classic as my machine (5 years on the trot now http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/gaggia_classic) and the following great grinder: http://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0866-iberital-mc2-auto.html (2 years in use) 99.9% of the time.

A great setup...

I'm not much of a fan of Starbucks coffees in general but I do like some of their beans. Their standard espresso bean is great and their "Italian Bold Roast" at the moment is excellent.

If you have a starbucks card (pre-pay, costs nothing) - each time you buy a bag you get a free coffee... Nice, as the beans are 5-7€ (I know Tesco has some a little cheaper) but then a free coffee..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

'68 wrote:

There's only one choice

I'm a french press man myself, it's the easiest way to get consistency in my view, as well as getting quantity if required!

For beans, the Tesco cheapest range is actually very drinkable, and cheap -though if I'm feeling flush, it'll be Fallon & Byrne's Java or Guatemalan blends

I am still to try those beans but I'm a big fan of what they stand for. They are one of the main supports of Alexander Wetterhall's (winner of 2010 RAS) team.

I've had some of Mr. Backsteadt's coffee. To my (admittedly unrefined and uneducated) palette it tasted like coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

blorg wrote: »
    I would not go with Nespresso; you are tied then to a limited range of highly overpriced coffee. I have a basic Gaggia (I think the Classic) and it works fine. I don't have a grinder but the coffee from people that do does taste better.

Couldn't disagree more :o
    I got one last year for christmas and its excellent.
    Fast, no cleanup, no mess and excellent coffee (a double ristretto is my preference)
    You can say its expensive, well @ 34-38c a pod I'd have to disagree. It costs more than raw beans alright but it cost a hell of a lot less than a coffee in a shop so I don't see how its expensive.
    Limited range, not really. There are 16 different varieties plus limited editions. I doubt you'd want/have 16 bags of coffee in you press :)
    Plus my machine takes up very little space on the counter top, no need for a grinder and the excellent milk frother/heater thats available work a treat.

I have to say I love a coffee when its freshly ground but any of my friends who have good machines (including plumbed, lucky baxtards), are always messing with grinds and new beans and are never happy, they just don't enjoy the coffee like I can with no hassle :) ...........I should get paid for that sales pitch :D

@lafors I'm guessing you like single speeds too... all those people with 20 gears, sure they are always changing gears... never getting the right one :P

I think we are making the comparrison to coffee at home, not in shops so saying that it being (a lot) cheaper than a shop doesn't really work. Nespresso (for me) is about 3x the price.

I have had a few of the Nespressos before - it was good coffee.

I love tinkering a little, I love picking up new bags of coffee when on vacation (a great bag of Peruvian coffee in the grinder at the moment - they make great beans but serve s***e over there - that is another discussion) and like the process - I guess I'm a little old school in that regard.

For people pushed on time, wanting convenience, nespresso gives a good cup each time - but I'm not sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

niceonetom wrote: »
    I'm a tea person (mmm tea), but isn't using espresso ground coffee in a french press wrong? Too fine so it just clogs up the mesh I thought?

never had a problem, The trick is to leave the coffee sitting for a few minutes for the grinds to sink and then plunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

First off, IMHO Starbucks coffee is not good at all.

I have a Gaggia classic at home. Got it about 4 years ago along with a Gaggia burr grinder and was money well spent. Gets used at least three times a day, every day.

Lately however I've been using a Chemex. Makes really good filter coddee.

Tend to get my coffee from hasbean.co.uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

This is a very big rabbit hole but having spent a LOT of time in it and knowing some serious coffee geeks, here's my 2C.

If you're going to spend some money on a machine & grinder dont waste it on Gaggias or other overpriced automatic machines. Yes Gaggia do make good machines but you're paying a hefty premium for the name, and are not the most robust machines.

I have this setup for the past 8 years. Its basically a commercial grouphead put into a simple steel casing with a single boiler, bog standard stuff and completely manual, no fancy electronics or pcbs. Perfect coffee once you get the hang of it, easy to maintain (replaced the boiler myself last year for €30 ) and will outlast any of those ridiculously expensive automatic units you see in BTs.

You have to get a grinder, preground coffee just wont work on these machines, besides it tastes crap in comparison to freshly ground fresh coffee beans.

Dont skimp on the grinder, you wont be able to get consistant results without one. The Rocky doserless one in the link is the best one for the money IMHO. Simply grind the beans straight into the portafilter and use straight away, dont pregrind a batch, coffee oxidises rapidly once ground.

Best place for coffee beans is this guy http://www.ariosacoffee.com
    This guy is a master roaster ( dont underestimate it ), the freshest coffee you'll get anywhere, he normally roasts to order so it only 3-4 days old, Achill Blend is the best I've tasted anywhere on the planet, dont know if he still has a stall at the Temple Bar Market, but worth checking out if he does.

Lastly get a proper Tamper, invaluable and will last forever.

http://www.coffeehit.co.uk/PRD_ProductDetail.aspx?cid=28&prodid=35&Product=Reg-Barber-Tamper-Tall-Bubinga

The whole package might seem a bit expensive, but will last for yonks, makes fantastic coffee and works out at about 13 C per expresso in coffee costs. Preground or Nespresso pods dont even come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Murph100 wrote: »

Very jealous!

Oh a side note, is it Fredish or Euro to spend more on coffee equipment than the bike?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got this when i got paid in all4one vouchers instead of money once:

47010-Hero.jpg

Not fancy, very cheap, filter coffee is perfect, the espresso is good but maybe not the best. The milk heater in the middle is pants though, it's a hot plate with a whisk :(

EDIT: Also buy your own Tamper, very important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

lafors wrote: »
    It costs more than raw beans alright ... so I don't see how its expensive.

You see, there's the problem, we're comparing to raw beans.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Espresso machines, simply because I like a nice big mug of coffee, so want something that can give me consistent quantity, rather than little shots of espresso that I have to top up with hot water. Also milk frothers and the like are a waste of time for me as I take it black, so I'm seriously considering a cheapy cheapy filter maker, cos as long as the water is consistently hot going through, I should be onto a good cuppa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Heh ! I had the coffee setup long before I got back into cycling, so I can plead innocence, besides given the pics of boardsies bikes that have been posted, I reckon I'm well under the threshold. :D

However if i had this I would have to be looking at one serious bike upgrade !! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Learned more about coffee from this thread than anything else before. :eek: I thought I had it sussed with a plastic filter holder (€5), a bag of filters (€3.40), an electric grinder and loads of beans. The least fuss with maximum return for me and I've tried other methods.
    Favourite coffee - Jamaican Blue Mountain. Sublime. Or any central American volcanic soil grown beans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement