Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

gurramok wrote: »
    Its 8 pages on my screen. Ain't my fault its that long.

You told me to feck off to the Athiest forum and with the subject in hand which you so passionately care about, its obvious the problem you had was with athiests.

We're talking about religion so why did you not say a religious forum instead?:confused:

Haha. If anyone who knew me in real life was reading that they'd be rolling on the floor laughing.
    I don't passionately care about anything to do with religion or lack of it, not that it's any business of yours.

You're the one who started the thread-why didn't you put it in a religious forum in the 1st place then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

alwaysadub wrote: »
    You're the one who started the thread-why didn't you put it in a religious forum in the 1st place then.

I don't follow religion. And I ain't a strict Athiest either. I'm just who I am who does not believe in any religion so please respect my wishes ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

19, 20 , 21 , whatever
    Wow, I've been shown up as I don't know how many pages are on the thread.

Only part of it. "What gives them the legal right to ask about religion?"
    Ask me first 'do you have a religion Sir?' and then ask what is my religion if I answer yes.
    Instead of asking first 'What religion are you?' which is the case now, that is labelling me as having a religion when I do not have one.

I don't complicate things, see an issue and solve it.

Write your to Minister Harney, the hospital manager and follow up later this week.
    Thread is three days old and you've not done this. Procrastination?

Realy, After Hours is the last place in Ireland you'll find a solution.
    I think my post is objective and there is nothing here you don't know already.

I don't complicate things, see an issue and solve it.

Write your to Minister Harney, the hospital manager and follow up later this week.
    Thread is three days old and you've not done this. Procrastination?

Realy, After Hours is the last place in Ireland you'll find a solution.
    I think my post is objective and there is nothing here you don't know already.

Do you expect Harney to listen to me when she won't listen to people over the years calling for her resignation due to the state of the health service?:eek:

Your posts had religious connotations like the one where one finds only religion on their deathbed. You only mentioned religion, whats your problem with people moving away from religion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Was on holiday in the Netherlands a few years back with a friend and we got chatting to a local guy who asked us where we were from so I said "Northern Ireland" (actually Im originally from the South and my Friends from Poland but didnt want to get bogged down in unnecessary detail)

Anyway next question was "are you Catholic or Protestant ?"

He looked a bit confused when I said "No"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Do you expect Harney to listen to me when she won't listen to people over the years calling for her resignation due to the state of the health service?:eek:
    When you the HSE is so busy dealing with its own real issues why then do you find it even necessary to bring up something as trivial as the wording of a questionnaire?
    Your posts had religious connotations like the one where one finds only religion on their deathbed. You only mentioned religion, whats your problem with people moving away from religion?
    Oh but of course... People discover their love for progressive rock on their deathbeds. Stop being pedantic.

And much more importantly
    whats your problem with people moving away from religion?
    What's your problem WITH religion? It seems to me that you have such a blinding hate for religion that you cannot even comprehend why a hospital would ask a patient for their religion (Or lack of).

In much less formal questionnaires you may be asked "What's your favourite football team?". Do you go on and on and rant about how they're offending you by suggesting everyone loves football or do you just write down "None" and get on with your life?

Can't believe this thread's still going on in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not like the HSE have more important things to worry over
    Do you expect Harney to listen to me

Judging by this thread, the reaction you've gotten and the tags I don't expect the posters here to listen to you.
    Some posters called you a troll, I never did

Religious connotations? Look at the thread title

I never ever posted people only find religion on their deathbed. If that were the case we'd have no priests but lots of hospital chaplains.

Some non believers might find God on their deathbed, probably not you though.

The question you were asked was to:
    • check if it was relevent to the doctor. Would you rather die then take a blood transfusion?
    • Will a chaplain be sent around if neccesary?

And yet you took offense?
    Instead of asking first 'What religion are you?' which is the case now, that is labelling me as having a religion when I do not have one.

If you posted this on Page 1, the thread would have finished on Friday night as you already know the solution. But now it's Sunday, you know the solution, haven't done anything about it and posters here can't do anything.
    You only mentioned religion, whats your problem with people moving away from religion?
    :confused:
    My last few posts were practical solutions. Who you should call or write a letter to

I don't follow religion. And I ain't a strict Athiest either. I'm just who I am who does not believe in any religion so please respect my wishes ;)
    You're not a strict athiest? So you believe in a deity from time or time or what exactly are you talking about? It's not as if lacking a belief can be mild, moderate or severe/strict.

You could definitely call yourself a militant athiest though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Only part of it. Since when did a non-intrusive/non-life threatening checkup involve religion? (and the checkup did not need a further clinic visit)

And the following question was never answered..."What gives them the legal right to ask about religion?" All I got was upset religionists over-reacting to that question.:mad:

Why do they need a right to ask the question. There is nothing preventing them from asking it and they have a good reason for doing so. If you don't like it you can always go elsewhere.

EDIT: Are you actually suggesting that you got lesser care because of your religion? Or lack of religion as the case may be.

When you the HSE is so busy dealing with its own real issues why then do you find it even necessary to bring up something as trivial as the wording of a questionnaire?

Oh you again, why ask it in the way described at all?
    Oh but of course... People discover their love for progressive rock on their deathbeds. Stop being pedantic.

And much more importantly

What's your problem WITH religion? It seems to me that you have such a blinding hate for religion that you cannot even comprehend why a hospital would ask a patient for their religion (Or lack of).

In much less formal questionnaires you may be asked "What's your favourite football team?". Do you go on and on and rant about how they're offending you by suggesting everyone loves football or do you just write down "None" and get on with your life?

Can't believe this thread's still going on in any case.

Where did I say I have a hate for religion?

You seem to defend the religious stance so strong, people can find other things to turn to on their deathbed, suppose you missed that!
    You're not a strict athiest? So you believe in a deity from time or time or what exactly are you talking about? It's not as if lacking a belief can be mild, moderate or severe/strict.

You could definitely call yourself a militant athiest though.

I ain't either. What makes you say that? I believe in no superior beings.

• Advertisement

k_mac wrote: »
    Why do they need a right to ask the question. There is nothing preventing them from asking it and they have a good reason for doing so. If you don't like it you can always go elsewhere.

EDIT: Are you actually suggesting that you got lesser care because of your religion? Or lack of religion as the case may be.

Probably be as most hospitals here are religiously run with religious on their boards, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Oh, for goodness sake!
    Hospitals ask your religion so they can try to respect your wishes in the event that admission is required.

It's perfectly obvious that reception staff cannot know, in advance, whether an admission will be required, or not. Hence, they ask a standard set of questions that attempt to cover the basic questions so that medical professionals don't have to waste their time asking non-medical questions.

In this way, "religionists" and "atheists" have their wishes respected, without wasting medical professionals valuable time - and without reception staff accessing confidential medical information.
    It's as simple as that.

Noreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

There are other reasons why people can be asked their religion. It's not always some sort of old-fashioned negative thing. In a hospital it's to do with your medical wishes. Employers, professional organizations and educational institutions survey this kind of information to ensure diversity sometimes. I've been asked to complete many surveys with questions on gender, ethnicity, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation etc. They've always been optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Was on holiday in the Netherlands a few years back with a friend and we got chatting to a local guy who asked us where we were from so I said "Northern Ireland" (actually Im originally from the South and my Friends from Poland but didnt want to get bogged down in unnecessary detail)

Anyway next question was "are you Catholic or Protestant ?"

He looked a bit confused when I said "No"

I hope you educated him in why his question was inaccurate rather than being a cnut.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    rather than being a cnut.

It was a simple accurate answer to his (rather intrusive albeit probably unintentionally so) question. Whats so cnutish about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

muffy wrote: »
    in case you die so they know whether to call a priest or a vicar or a rabbi or am imam or scientology type thing I should imagine. I was asked this in the Bons hospital and I said "I think I'm a Catholic LOL?". Wouldn't be offended at the question but would be offended if they used my belief(or rather lack there of) against me at a later date.

You actually said lawl? I'd have you committed, not hospitalised.

Oh you again, why ask it in the way described at all?
    Yes me again. They ask it for the reasons outlined about 100 hundred times throughout this thread. I'm not gonna repeat them.

Where did I say I have a hate for religion?
    You don't need to explicitly say it. It's pretty obvious through your posts.
    You seem to defend the religious stance so strong, people can find other things to turn to on their deathbed, suppose you missed that!
    And you seem to have some kind of anti-religious vendetta that's blinding you from seeing why its necessary for a hospital to ask for a person's religious preference.

I ain't either. What makes you say that? I believe in no superior beings.
    What? How the hell is that an adequate response to
    You're not a strict atheist? So you believe in a deity from time or time or what exactly are you talking about? It's not as if lacking a belief can be mild, moderate or severe/strict.

You could definitely call yourself a militant atheist though.
    First of all, tell me whether or not you intermittently believe in a deity. You see calling yourself a mild or moderate atheist (How can you mildly lack a belief in God?) makes no sense.

And as for you not being a militant atheist, I think we'll agree to differ on that.
    Probably be as most hospitals here are religiously run with religious on their boards, yes?
    Oh we may have something interesting here. Are you saying that you were discriminated against and given inferior treatment because of your lack of a religion? If you truly did, take it to court. But if you didn't, then please stop talking BS.

You don't need to explicitly say it. It's pretty obvious through your posts.

And you seem to have some kind of anti-religious vendetta that's blinding you from seeing why its necessary for a hospital to ask for a person's religious preference.

How am I hateful towards religion? Point that 'obvious' thing out. All I objected to was the religious nature of been intolerant of others who don't believe in religion.
    What? How the hell is that an adequate response to

First of all, tell me whether or not you intermittently believe in a deity. You see calling yourself a mild or moderate atheist (How can you mildly lack a belief in God?) makes no sense.

And as for you not being a militant atheist, I think we'll agree to differ on that.

No, I meant I do not believe in a superior being. I ain't a strict or fundamentalist atheist in that i'm not trying to convert others to my beliefs. I tolerate people's belief in religion, all I ask is to tolerate my non-belief of a religion.
    Oh we may have something interesting here. Are you saying that you were discriminated against and given inferior treatment because of your lack of a religion? If you truly did, take it to court. But if you didn't, then please stop talking BS.

How is that BS? Why should there be religious lay people on boards of hospitals at all?
    Why not have a range of people with beliefs and no beliefs or just leave religion out of hospitals?

Another point... In case you were unaware, medical professionals are educated on the religious practices of many world religions. They need to know how to deal with births, illness and death appropriately so as to not distress or offend their patient.

They don't just deal with physical ailments, they need to deal with their patient so as to not distress them emotionally or psychologically.

How am I hateful towards religion? Point that 'obvious' thing out. All I objected to was the religious nature of been intolerant of others who don't believe in religion.
    Sorry but I don't think many will agree that being asked a question such as "What religion are you?" as being intolerant. It's like being asked "What car do you drive?", you don't go crying on boards if you don't have a car. You just say quite simply "I don't have a car". Likewise you could also say "I don't have a religion". No one will make a fuss and no one else seems to find any issue with that solution.
    Unless you've been discriminated against by answering "No Religion" then you cannot claim intolerance.
    No, I meant I do not believe in a superior being. I ain't a strict or fundamentalist atheist in that i'm not trying to convert others to my beliefs. I tolerate people's belief in religion, all I ask is to tolerate my non-belief of a religion.
    A fundamentalist or a strict atheist is one that sticks to the fundamentals of atheism and that is simply lacking a belief in god. There is no such thing as a fundamental or strict atheist. You either are one or aren't one.

You do not tolerate other people's beliefs in religion despite what you may think. No one is being intolerant of you either.
    How is that BS? Why should there be religious lay people on boards of hospitals at all?
    Why not have a range of people with beliefs and no beliefs or just leave religion out of hospitals?
    To cater for those of Religious faith. Life and death isn't something to be taken lightly. It may sound harsh but people die in hospitals. Its simply part of hospital life, its often where life begins and ends. Both are two critical points in anyone's life and that is why religious presence in hospitals is necessary. The world doesn't revolve you and your beliefs, oddly enough.

• Advertisement

A few years ago I was in the position of having to get an ex-housemate admitted to hospital and the person on admissions seemed a bit put out when I couldnt answer what religion they were (I genuinely wasnt sure at the time) which did make me wonder how they dealt with semi-unconscious people picked up off the street ?

I can appreciate there are genuine reasons why admissions staff would want this information though so Its one of those (rare) circumstances when I wouldnt be bothered being asked about it. (Census and Job/College applications are a different matter though) Some people here seem to be making too much of an issue of it although perhaps because they see it tied in with the whole issue of religious bodies owning/managing publicly funded hospitals.

Dont think hospitals should use the information to withhold lifesaving treatment from unconscious or particularly underage Jehova Witnesses etc though.

Yes you think you get a lower standard of care because you are not religious? That's stupidity of the highest level considering that most staff in hospitals tend to have a variety of religions. If you got a lower level of care at all it's probably because, going by your posts, you seem to be more anoying than Jordan (Katie Price, not the country).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Richard wrote: »
    Some people, faced with death find God. You may do, you may not. But such a traumatic experience does affect peoples views on religion from time to time.

As the saying goes, there's no such thing as an Atheist in a plane crash!
    The tags for this thread are hilarious!

Dont think hospitals should use the information to withhold lifesaving treatment from unconscious or particularly underage Jehova Witnesses etc though.

This is the choice they make by following the religion. To break it and force treatment would be considered a violation by the person and their family.

Yes you think you get a lower standard of care because you are not religious? That's stupidity of the highest level considering that most staff in hospitals tend to have a variety of religions. If you got a lower level of care at all it's probably because, going by your posts, you seem to be more anoying than Jordan (Katie Price, not the country).
    By his logic he must believe that the entire hospital staff are Catholic. Surely they'd discriminate over staff jobs before they'd discriminate over patients.

This is the choice they make by following the religion.

Hardly a choice if the person is under 18
    Magenta wrote: »
    As the saying goes, there's no such thing as an Atheist in a plane crash!
    :rolleyes:

This is the choice they make by following the religion. To break it and force treatment would be considered a violation by the person and their family.
    Too right you are. Doctors won't do something if it's against their patient's wishes. They can't just act of their own accord on someone else's body. The final decision to do anything lies with the patient and their next of kin and no one else.

If someone (Old enough to make their own decisions) wants to refuse treatment because its against their beliefs then that's their decision. They have every right to.

If a person is admitted to hospital unconscious (or not apparently of sound mind) or is under 18 they are not in a position to make their wishes known to the doctors.

If an fully conscious adult person of sound mind makes such wishes known to the hospital staff and their condition subsequently deteriorates that would be a different matter.

Hardly a choice if the person is under 18
    If the person's under 18 then it does get a bit more difficult. Then again how many times have you heard of (For example) the parents of young Jehovah's witness' refusing to save the life of their child? You only hear it when one refuses or when one sues the hospital for disregarding their beliefs. However if an adult JW refuses treatment, that's solely their decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Its really weird when they ask, if your getting an x ray on your ankle its likely you will need a blood transfusion or the last rites.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement