Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Because they asked you your religion they are trying to control your life? Oh jesus...
    And you asked why people consider this debate stupid...?

They automatically assumed I was religious in the question. And that is from a public hospital with a Catholic ethos. That ain't stupid bringing up such a subject!
    k_mac wrote: »
    Unless you want to make stuff up thats really all we can base out arguments on isn't it? It still has no relevance to individual treatment.

Ever hear of 'closed doors'? We don't know half of what goes on.
    Yes probably. They would most likely not want to be involved in decisions which go against their beliefs.

Thats intolerant of others, ain't it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

gurramok wrote: »
    They automatically assumed I was religious in the question. And that is from a public hospital with a Catholic ethos. That ain't stupid bringing up such a subject!

Just wow....

drkpower wrote: »
    Nor are the Hospital by asking you what your religon is. When you said 'no religon' (or cried or whatever you did in protest at the very notion of the question), did they try and 'control my life nor dictate how I go about my morals'.....? No of course they didnt.

Tbh, the key question they should have asked you was the identity of a responsible adult next-of-kin because it frightens me that you might be allowed to make important healthcare decisions on your own behalf;).

But it was from a Catholic controlled hospital. The assumption there was that i was Catholic when i'm not. It seems as if they never had non-religious patients before :eek:

Haha on the responsible adult next-of-kin thing, I am quite a responsible adult who does not need dictating to by a religious superior thank you ;)

But it was from a Catholic controlled hospital. The assumption there was that i was Catholic when i'm not. It seems as if they never had non-religious patents before :eek:

Haha on the responsible adult next-of-kin thing, I am quite a responsible adult who does not need dictating to by a religious superior thank you ;)

If they assumed you were catholic surely they would have said "I'll put you down as catholic" not "what religion are you?"
    I'm sure they have had plenty considering when you said no religion the girl just kept going about her business

If they assumed you were catholic surely they would have said "I'll put you down as catholic" not "what religion are you?"
    I'm sure they have had plenty considering when you said no religion the girl just kept going about her business

Why did she wobble her head then?:confused:

• Advertisement

Why did she wobble her head then?:confused:

God knows... probably because you a took a while to answer
    after an awkward slience
    I highly doubt you're the first non-religious patient she's come across. you may get over yourself on that one.

God knows... probably because you a took a while to answer

I highly doubt you're the first non-religious patient she's come across. you may get over yourself on that one.

No, she obviously never expected a non-religious patient to show up at her desk.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I dont rally care. As long as my doctor knows how to do his job.

The Catholic church has never been an all inclusive organisation.
    But it was from a Catholic controlled hospital. The assumption there was that i was Catholic when i'm not. It seems as if they never had non-religious patients before :eek:
    No, she obviously never expected a non-religious patient to show up at her desk.:eek:

Now you are just trolling. What makes you think the staff in hospitals are Catholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The assumption there was that i was Catholic when i'm not. It seems as if they never had non-religious patients before :eek:

Then why did they ask you the question......? Catholic or non-religous....which one? Do you know the difference? Are you confused...? You're not much good at this debating stuff, are you....?:D

Ooh, I beg to differ as do a few posters here, im sure.....It seems you let a simple question about religon or lack of it dictate the next few days of your life in a display of teenage angst.

I dont rally care. As long as my doctor knows how to do his job.

The Catholic church has never been an all inclusive organisation.

What makes you think the staff in hospitals are Catholic?

You should care. Those doctors work for a Catholic hospital whereby their judgement can be influenced by the religious(like in the article). Maybe all the staff are, whats their hiring policies?

As you say the Catholic church has never been an all inclusive organisation, that proves my point conclusively.

• Advertisement

Then why did they ask you the question......? Catholic or non-religous....which one? Do you know the difference? Are you confused...? You're not much good at this debating stuff, are you....?:D

I was told here, especially by the fundamentalists that it was for 'future reference'. There was no legal basis to ask the question. No, i'm not confused, I know which belief I believe in thanks ;)
    Ooh, I beg to differ as do a few posters here, im sure.....It seems you let a simple question about religon or lack of it dictate the next few days of your life in a display of teenage angst.

Huh? I ain't a teenager! :mad:

I've educated people with well thought out posts on the crazy out of date non-secular discriminatory position by the religious in some of our hospitals!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I got that as well in the Mercy Cork.

Your one says "Catholic are you?"

I just said "I was baptised as one anyway" and she started laughing.

No point making a fuss out of these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

You should care. Those doctors work for a Catholic hospital whereby their judgement can be influenced by the religious(like in the article). Maybe all the staff are, whats their hiring policies?

As you say the Catholic church has never been an all inclusive organisation, that proves my point conclusively.

I worked there - I'm an atheist and was never asked my religion at the interview. The hospital is not 'Catholic-controlled'. Don't be ridiculous.

optogirl wrote: »
    I worked there - I'm an atheist and was never asked my religion at the interview. The hospital is not 'Catholic-controlled'. Don't be ridiculous.

So you say if you did work there. Why the Catholic ethos then?

So you say if you did work there. Why the Catholic ethos then?

Is there any reason why you doubt me? Many of my collegues were Arabic, Muslim etc - I really don't see what point you're trying to make here?

The Catholic Ethos is because it was founded and run by the Sisters of Mercy. There is however, no policy of only hiring catholics or treating non-catholic patients in any different way to catholic ones - why would there be?

I have been both an employee and patient in the Mater and the question of religion only arose once, when I was asked whether I wanted the last rites or not. I declined. There was no outcry and they still operated on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Is there any reason why you doubt me? Many of my collegues were Arabic, Muslim etc - I really don't see what point you're trying to make here?

The Catholic Ethos is because it was founded and run by the Sisters of Mercy. There is however, no policy of only hiring catholics or treating non-catholic patients in any different way to catholic ones - why would there be?

I have been both an employee and patient in the Mater and the question of religion only arose once, when I was asked whether I wanted the last rites or not. I declined. There was no outcry and they still operated on me!

/Thread

Just because some employees are not Catholic does not mean they have a say in the running of the place. Its Catholic controlled and that says alot. Why do they keep holding onto their Catholic ethos if they are welcoming to other religions? :confused:

Its Catholic controlled and that says alot. :confused:

it really doesn't. If you have a problem with the care you received and you perceive yourself to have been the victim of religious intolerance, contact the hospital complaints board.

So you cannot answer why religious staff are on hospitals. Why not answer the question?

Because it would be grossly intolerant and a severe restriction of human rights if they were stopped from working in hospitals? You are obviously trolling man. Ridiculous.

it really doesn't. If you have a problem with the care you received and you perceive yourself to have been the victim of religious intolerance, contact the hospital complaints board.
    Because it would be grossly intolerant and a severe restriction of human rights if they were stopped from working in hospitals? You are obviously trolling man. Ridiculous.

Not trolling, valid questions. You picked up that wrong. I meant why are they on the boards of the hospitals? (not staff like nurses)

Why not change to ethos to a neutral one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shaunab

This is getting so pedantic.

The person at registration doesn't give a flying fcuk what your religion is/was/ whatever!
    You were most likely the 150 person she registered that day/night and 95% of those probably said 'none' or maybe even 'jedi' she/he's heard it all before, none of it is new.

The nurse or doctor also doesn't care a flying monkeys what you pray to when on bended knee - they won't notice anything about you.

Nobody is going to put a big red X beside your name just because you are/are not RC/Muslim/islam/Wiccan/COI/Jedi or WHATEVER.
    Now if you are a Jehovah witness then they will flag your religion as it is important in medical matters re: blood and the patient will tell you this 10000 times.

Oh, and if she "WOBBLED HER HEAD" it's probably because he/she's sorry she/he asked but it's on the computer system which is years old , needs updating and was probably easier to ask rather than skip over and not because she/he cares a jot that you have no religion.

If you think for a minute it will affect your care in any way - then cop on - it won't because no one will notice OR CARE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

As above, why are they still running them, Ireland is a secular country to cater for all beliefs including yours yes?

Personally, I really don't care who runs the hospital as long as they are capable to operate professionally on a medical level.

As for "secular". I think you're confusing a secular State, with a secular society. Ireland isn't a secular society. Given that private hospitals can set up in Ireland as well it always be possible for people to set up hospitals provided that they have people with the correct medical credentials to run them.

Personally, I think a hospital with numerous religious representatives to take care of the spiritual needs of patients is all I want. I don't particularly care if the hospital has an ethos, I wouldn't get annoyed by it.

You make it out as if it is an archaic question, it really isn't. The influence of religion has increased in the 21st century. People on a large scale still believe. You don't. I don't see what the problem is actually.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Personally, I really don't care who runs the hospital as long as they are capable to operate professionally on a medical level.

As for "secular". I think you're confusing a secular State, with a secular society. Ireland isn't a secular society. Given that private hospitals can set up in Ireland as well it always be possible for people to set up hospitals provided that they have people with the correct medical credentials to run them.

Personally, I think a hospital with numerous religious representatives to take care of the spiritual needs of patients is all I want. I don't particularly care if the hospital has an ethos, I wouldn't get annoyed by it.

You make it out as if it is an archaic question, it really isn't. The influence of religion has increased in the 21st century. People on a large scale still believe. You don't. I don't see what the problem is actually.

As the hospital in question does not have them, will you be boycotting it?

As the hospital in question does not have them, will you be boycotting it?

Boycott it and die? No not really, but if I am going to die in hospital, I'd like to know that I could have someone to be with me to pray before I meet my Maker if I will.

Personally, I think it's wholly ignorant of you to be so opposed to peoples genuine needs. Atheist or not, it's just ridiculously petty and a little irksome. If the State is meant to represent people of belief and non-belief, then this should be the case in our hospitals.

I wonder why it is always atheists who start such threads banging on about religion here.

Boycott it and die? No not really, but if I am going to die in hospital, I'd like to know that I could have someone to be with me to pray before I meet my Maker if I will.

Personally, I think it's wholly ignorant of you to be so opposed to peoples genuine needs. Atheist or not, it's just ridiculously petty and a little irksome. If the State is meant to represent people of belief and non-belief, then this should be the case in our hospitals.

Err, have you not read the thread? Where have I been opposed to people's genuine needs?!

All I ask is that mine and my fellow non-believers needs be catered for as well as all believers of religion. Cherry picking people based on religion is outrageous in a secular society.:mad:

I read the thread. You've ignored the spiritual needs of patients which as far as I would see it are crucially important.

If you want an atheist state, go to North Korea. Governmental secularism doesn't mean that they deny people of faith the right to have spiritual guidance and assistance in hospitals.

Ireland isn't a secular society. There are believers and non-believers, this isn't a secular society. Is it a secular Government, by all accounts yes, but not a secular society.

I read the thread. You've ignored the spiritual needs of patients which as far as I would see it are crucially important.

If you want an atheist state, go to North Korea. Governmental secularism doesn't mean that they deny people of faith the right to have spiritual guidance and assistance in hospitals.

Ah here, you are totally picking that up wrong.

Where have I ignored the spiritual needs of patients? I said to allow religious reps as well as athiests on the boards of hospitals.

I don't want an athiest state. I want inclusivetivity for all and not just for one religion hence a secular state.

Your complaint isn't even a problem with inclusivity. You were asked what religion you were. The answer you gave. No religion. That's nothing to do with inclusivity. You give them the answer and you get on with your life.

Your complaint isn't even a problem with inclusivity. You were asked what religion you were. The answer you gave. No religion. That's nothing to do with inclusivity. You give them the answer and you get on with your life.

She should of asked 'Do you have a religion' instead of auto assuming I have one in the first place. Thats intolerance of my beliefs.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Err, have you not read the thread? Where have I been opposed to people's genuine needs?!

All I ask is that mine and my fellow non-believers needs be catered for as well as all believers of religion. Cherry picking people based on religion is outrageous in a secular society.:mad:

So instead of a having priest/rabbi by you bed when you die, you want a random man/woman?

How can a hospital cater for your religious/spiritual needs if you have none?

Anyway, I thought you were treated? If so how is anyone being cherry picked (aside from the public/private health insurance)? Are you telling me that a Catholic run hospital is going to refuse you admittance/emergency treatment because of your religion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement