Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

orourkeda wrote: »
    They probably just asked how's your gee love?

Seriously when I was in that queue today, talk about a range of characters.

The nun looked literally about 100 in a wheelchair and she promptly took her ticket without a bother.

Among the queue was a fella who look like a gaunt Norman Wisdom who hopped out of a wheelchair upon arrival, a bloke in his 60's who never had a wash and looked like Elvis with dyed hair, 2 fairly middle aged skangers (do they exist?) who had the mobile ring tone of the Time Tunnel(which was cool).

It really was a hotch patch of people from all areas of society but...ya wan asking for my religion at the counter took me aback.

What happens if she put me down as an atheist, would someone come to my aid if the ticker stopped? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

gurramok wrote: »
    What happens if she put me down as an atheist,

She ticked the straight to hell box on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

No, nothing to do with a blood transfusion or about to die stuff, I was actually at the Fracture clinic there. I was just taken aback that in this day and age they ask for religion in a hospital.

Within a hospital the registration forms are the same regardless of what clinic you are attending.

Taceom wrote: »
    Within a hospital the registration forms are the same regardless of what clinic you are attending.

Have they not copped on that religion ain't important to many people these days?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Among the queue was a fella who look like a gaunt Norman Wisdom

Jesus, he can't have been well :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Have they not copped on that religion ain't important to many people these days?:confused:

But to a lot of people it is and personally I would like to have the last rites if I keeled over ( most likely from old age from the wait in a and e )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

....but is to others..

But to a lot of people it is and personally I would like to have the last rites if I keeled over ( most likely from old age from the wait in a and e )
    ....but is to others..

And what about the many others where it is not?

Maybe a lot of peoples views, possibly even your own would change if you were lying on your deathbed in the Mater hospital

The information is also needed for maternity wards, infants in danger can be baptised by the chaplain

Maybe a lot of peoples views, possibly even your own would change if you were lying on your deathbed in the Mater hospital

The information is also needed for maternity wards, infants in danger can be baptised by the chaplain

If I was on my deathbed, how would my view change? You really have to explain that one.:confused:

• Advertisement

And what about the many others where it is not?

You can just answer No religion, no interest or whatever. If Religion doesn't make any difference to you then why make an issue of it.
    On the other hand there are a significant amount of people to whom Religion is very important, including Muslims, Jews etc.

You get asked the same question when you go to Jail by the way!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

As well as for "last rites" reasons, it's also to cover themselves legally - i.e. so you won't sue them if they do something to you that's against your religion (such as a blood transfusion) in cases where you can't formally give consent, like if you're unconscious.

You can just answer No religion, no interest or whatever. If Religion doesn't make any difference to you then why make an issue of it.
    On the other hand there are a significant amount of people to whom Religion is very important, including Muslims, Jews etc.

Is religion not important to Catholics & Protestants also?:rolleyes:

Haven't been to jail yet so wouldn't know about that scenario!

Speaking from experience? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sulmac wrote: »
    As well as for "last rites" reasons, it's also to cover themselves legally - i.e. so you won't sue them if they do something to you that's against your religion (such as a blood transfusion) in cases where you can't formally give consent, like if you're unconscious.

No its not.
    A doctor cannot refrain from giving someone a blood transfusion merely because they said they were a Jehovahs Witnesss when they booked into hospital. Quite a few Jehovahs Witnessses accept blood transfusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Keptic

Yes, I was visiting a clinic at the Mater Hospital and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'what religion I am'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no religion'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?:mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a hospital care about my religious beliefs?:confused:
    I was asked the same 6 years ago in James Connolly hospital in Blanchardstown. I understand that because it's a hospital, there is a certain probability that you may find yourself in a very miserable situation and therefore want a priest/imam/whoever.. In case if you loose consciousness, they would automatically send a priest to give you whatever they give... not too sure about the details though. As long as there were no repercussions for answering "no religion" it's all grand and I wouldn't worry about it.

Is religion not important to Catholics & Protestants also?:rolleyes:

Yip.... Hence the words 'including' and 'etc' ;)
    Speaking from experience? :P

Another Yip..... Except that I'm the 'Overpaid, Underworked, Public Service Pension Robbing' Person asking the question :D
    (On the days that I bother to go in of course...lol )

Anyone remember this case?
    The High Court tonight intervened to save the life of a seriously ill African woman by ordering a Dublin hospital to give her a life-saving blood transfusion.

The 23-year-old Congolese woman, who suffered a major haemorrhage today after giving birth to a healthy baby boy, had refused the treatment on religious grounds because she is a Jehovah’s Witness.

Believed to be the first case of its kind involving an adult in Ireland, the court ruled the Coombe Hospital must put the interests of the child first and save the mother’s life.

It is understood she had lost 80% of her blood.

Now let's give the Irish medical staff some graditude, oh wait:
    The husband of the Jehovah’s Witness who was given a blood transfusion against her wishes last Thursday tried to prevent the procedure going ahead but was refused access to the hospital ward.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses congregation is now considering taking legal action against either the state or the Coombe maternity hospital in Dublin over the transfusion.
    “No matter which way you look at this case, the patient’s rights have been trampled on. There could be a civil case taken on behalf of the mother, or a community case on behalf of Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

Adrian Lawlor, who oversees the Swords branch of Jehovah’s Witnesses, said the case had thrown the rights of the individual “back into the Dark Ages”. The group has likened the act to rape.

I guess the Mater Hospital want information on their patients

And it's one thing for an adult but they have same policy for children
    In 2002, the group considered suing the state on behalf of the parents of a child who was given a blood transfusion. The two-year-old was injured after a car crashed through a garden wall as he played at his home in Clonmel. The group argued that the constitutional rights of the parents as legal guardians were ignored during the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

It's been pointed out already but my girlfriend works in the Mater and the religion question is purely for the last rites or whatever equivalents there are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

um, really simple answer - a hospital would need to know as regards treatment.
    for example - jehovas witnesses won accept blood transfusions iirc.

really really simple explanation and no need to post a thread on boards enquiring about it. unless you want to stir up the beehive with another religion thread

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote: »

really really simple explanation and no need to post a thread on boards enquiring about it. unless you want to stir up the beehive with another religion thread

Are you taking the mick?

I was in to get a nonlife threatening examination and there was no need to ask my religion unless the doctors planned to kill me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Jazzy wrote: »

That is not the reason!
    Some JWs will accept blood transfusions. A doctor cannot refrain from giving someone a blood transfusion merely because they said they were a Jehovahs Witnesss when they booked into hospital.

The correct answer is that given by MEdium Well:
    It's been pointed out already but my girlfriend works in the Mater and the religion question is purely for the last rites or whatever equivalents there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vincentdunne

Why are people giving the same answer again and again again and again and again.
    Don't you read any but the last last last last last page?

Postcount +1 ;)

Postcount +1 ;)

You still haven't answered the following!
    me wrote:
    If I was on my deathbed, how would my view change? You really have to explain that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

You still haven't answered the following!

If you ended up on your deathbed after signing in to have 'care' in hospital cause you are 'ill' obviously to be there in the first place - than those things are necessary to know....

Yeah?

No big deal. Either just say, 'No Religion' or 'of such and such a Religion'...

Believe it or not, you live in a world where people have a 'religion' that means they would like to have last rites or a priest present etc. or don't want either...

Get over it..answer the question and hope your illness is not leading to the 'deathbed' scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,807 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a very elderly nun/sister whatever the hell you call them offer me communion in hospital last year. I've experienced this several times before and always say 'sorry, I'm not a catholic' and they move on.

This one didn't though.

'Oh that's okay...you do believe in god though, right?'

'No, I don't'

There was a look of absolute shock on her face. It was if she'd never had someone say those words to her before. She then decided that I couldn't be left alone and she'd have to convince me otherwise.

**** off woman, I'm in pain!

lmaopml wrote: »
    If you ended up on your deathbed after signing in to have 'care' in hospital cause you are 'ill' obviously to be there in the first place - than those things are necessary to know....

Yeah?

No big deal. Either just say, 'No Religion' or 'of such and such a Religion'...

Believe it or not, you live in a world where people have a 'religion' that means they would like to have last rites or a priest present etc. or don't want either...

Get over it..answer the question and hope your illness is not leading to the 'deathbed' scenario...

The poster had said

"Maybe a lot of peoples views, possibly even your own would change if you were lying on your deathbed in the Mater hospital"

Now, why would my own view change if i'm dying?

Thats the question rather than a rant about other peoples feeling on religion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Again, I'd rather they used a doctor to help save said dying child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

The poster had said

"Maybe a lot of peoples views, possibly even your own would change if you were lying on your deathbed in the Mater hospital"

Now, why would my own view change if i'm dying?

Thats the question rather than a rant about other peoples feeling on religion.

If you ever sat beside somebody actually dying than all of those things, the forms they signed etc. etc. are of little consequence....people just do their best, medical staff and patients with communication.

..but perhaps of more consequence to those actually 'lying there'...lucky you seem to be fit and healthy and 'shocked' enough to rant about it.

I have yet to hear of somebody who isn't very 'dramatic' with lots of energy to pronounce on the internet their distaste of an individual who visited them - MOST IMPORTANTLY IF....they didn't want to 'sign' the form or their next of kin didn't...

Sign the silly form, no point complaining afterwards..

Fkuk that, people try to convince everybody every single day of the week that their opinion is 'very' important! Even you, with your 'dignity' after being tread on so much :rolleyes:

People are different sometimes! Fact!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement