Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

They uphold the ethics of their hospital or if they wish they can take it up to be modified.

Hilarious stuff that a Muslim would help enforce a Catholic ethos. Think about that one again ;)
    :confused:
    Who's the one coming off as being completely clueless in this thread again? Less of the "comedy".

My posts are quite intelligible thank you.

Not going to mass doesn't make you secular. Disregarding religion in its entirety makes you secular.

What do you think they are doing, celebrating mass in their homes:rolleyes:
    The decision coincides with their code of ethics. That's all that matters. Whether or not said code of ethics has some sections derived from religious belief is irrelevant.

Relevant indeed as it was their beliefs that interfered with their so called independent decision making of their ethics.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

gurramok wrote: »
    Hilarious stuff that a Muslim would help enforce a Catholic ethos. Think about that one again ;)

What do you think they are doing, celebrating mass in their homes:rolleyes:

See my post for your answers to those

I haven't seen anything that says the businessmen are fervent Catholics?

And if the muslim knew that that was the ethos and background of the hospital and appreciated that and was willing to keep it up he might have no problem with that.
    The same as a catholic in a muslim country

Another who has not read the articles. The businessman in this case is a fervent Catholic.

You do know that different religions have different beliefs?!:rolleyes:
    No one said it was thriving, they said that the majority were still religious of one form or another. And yes mass attendance has dwindles but many still attend or practice in their own ways

How do you know the majority are Catholics who abide by the teachings of the church whilst not attending mass?

If they don't bother going to mass, they are either lapsed Catholics who reject the Catholic church in its current form or not Catholic at all. Hence no authority for the Catholic ethos at a public hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I don't need to think about anything again. You're the one who hasn't thought about it at all.
    It's not as if the "Catholic ethos" you won't shut up about tells doctors to make all surgical incisions in the mark of a cross or to have a priest say a prayer with a team or surgeons before each operation. Besides that, not everyone is as intolerant as you.
    What do you think they are doing, celebrating mass in their homesrolleyes.gif
    Is Catholicism the only Religion in Ireland? No. Even if it were, secularism is disregarding religion in its entirety. Someone can still believe in God and be a Catholic without attending mass every single week. People that are agnostic can even be called non-secular as they are not disregarding God or religion. The only truly secular people are people who disregard religion in its entirety.

Relevant indeed as it was their beliefs that interfered with their so called independent decision making of their ethics.
    Huh? Another incoherent post. They set their ethics and they judged a research project under their code of ethics. That's it.

Another who has not read the articles. The businessman in this case is a fervent Catholic.

Apologies I didn't see that. Fine
    You do know that different religions have different beliefs?!:rolleyes:

No.... never?!

I actually went to a multi-cultural school and celebrated Diwali and Ramadan as well as Christmas and easter so I know all about other religions and also about their tolerance to other religions when the situation calls for it.

Maybe you need to learn that kind of tolerance

How do you know the majority are Catholics who abide by the teachings of the church whilst not attending mass?

If they don't bother going to mass, they are either lapsed Catholics who reject the Catholic church in its current form or not Catholic at all. Hence no authority for the Catholic ethos at a public hospital.

Or they simple don't attend mass for whatever reason. I know MANY Catholics who don't attend mass but still believe and still practice in their own ways

• Advertisement

No.... never?!

I actually went to a multi-cultural school and celebrated Diwali and Ramadan as well as Christmas and easter so I know all about other religions and also about their tolerance to other religions when the situation calls for it.

Maybe you need to learn that kind of tolerance

I'm tolerant of all types of religion. All i ask is that Catholics are tolerant in allowing a replacement of the Catholic ethos to a multi-religious & no religious one. You must understand from your experience of other religions to be accommodating for all. I have said that countless times.
    Or they simple don't attend mass for whatever reason. I know MANY Catholics who don't attend mass but still believe and still practice in their own ways

I know none, sorry.

I'm tolerant of all types of religion. All i ask is that Catholics are tolerant in allowing a replacement of the Catholic ethos to a multi-religious & no religious one. You must understand from your experience of other religions to be accommodating for all. I have said that countless times.

I know none, sorry.

You must know a very select group of people.

No you are not tolerant or none of the 39 pages in this thread would be here. tolerance is for ALL religions including catholicism which you are clearly against. The reason for the ethos has been explained countless of times. It discriminates against no one and is accommodating all and not affecting anyone's treatment inclusing yours

I don't need to think about anything again. You're the one who hasn't thought about it at all.
    It's not as if the "Catholic ethos" you won't shut up about tells doctors to make all surgical incisions in the mark of a cross or to have a priest say a prayer with a team or surgeons before each operation. Besides that, not everyone is as intolerant as you.

Here we go again, saying i'm intolerant when i'm not. Its nothing to do with your outlandish claims of surgical crosses on a patient, its the interference of religion in decision making.
    You seen the article on what women went through for at least 40yrs because of religious interference in decision making?
    Is Catholicism the only Religion in Ireland? No. Even if it were, secularism is disregarding religion in its entirety. Someone can still believe in God and be a Catholic without attending mass every single week. People that are agnostic can even be called non-secular as they are not disregarding God or religion. The only truly secular people are people who disregard religion in its entirety.

They ain't Catholic are they? They reject the church's teachings and the hospital should abide by that by getting with the times.
    Huh? Another incoherent post. They set their ethics and they judged a research project under their code of ethics. That's it.

And religion had the final say hence the trial was stopped.

Here we go again, saying i'm intolerant when i'm not. Its nothing to do with your outlandish claims of surgical crosses on a patient, its the interference of religion in decision making.
    You seen the article on what women went through for at least 40yrs because of religious interference in decision making?.

Read your posts. I'm not the only one saying this. you are coming across as hugely intolerant towards the catholic religion

yes I did see it. that was also a long time ago. A completely different generation and cannot be compared with todays world. Find me a modern example that can be used please.

You must know a very select group of people.

No you are not tolerant or none of the 39 pages in this thread would be here. tolerance is for ALL religions including catholicism which you are clearly against. The reason for the ethos has been explained countless of times. It discriminates against no one and is accommodating all and not affecting anyone's treatment inclusing yours

I am tolerant. I ain't anti-Catholic, that stuff is in the books of Mr. Paisley, not me.

I know many people and none of them bar the 3 I mentioned earlier are Catholics. They maybe born and raised Catholic but as soon as adulthood came, they made decisions of their own not to be associated with Catholicism. Some may still believe in a god though and some may not.
    yes I did see it. that was also a long time ago. A completely different generation and cannot be compared with todays world. Find me a modern example that can be used please.

The cancer trial is a modern example.

• Advertisement

I am tolerant. I ain't anti-Catholic, that stuff is in the books of Mr. Paisley, not me.

I know many people and none of them bar the 3 I mentioned earlier are Catholics. They maybe born and raised Catholic but as soon as adulthood came, they made decisions of their own not to be associated with Catholicism. Some may still believe in a god though and some may not.

So they would still be religious?....

The cancer trial is a modern example.

And was also explained quite clearly by many

So they would still be religious?....

They hardly pray or partake in home ceremonies. They say there is something there alright and defend their right to believe in a god. What religion they want to follow is anyone's guess :)
    And was also explained quite clearly by many

Its there for all to read!

They hardly pray or partake in home ceremonies. They say there is something there alright and defend their right to believe in a god. What religion they want to follow is anyone's guess :)

Making them religious, contradicting your own point

Making them religious, contradicting your own point

Thats some and they are not following the Catholic religion. In fact the board of the hospital should accommodate their views as the Catholic ethos is against their beliefs.

Here we go again, saying i'm intolerant when i'm not.
    A fine joke. You're not kidding anyone however.
    Its nothing to do with your outlandish claims of surgical crosses on a patient, its the interference of religion in decision making.
    It's not interference. It's their code of ethics. It's not hard to understand ffs.
    You seen the article on what women went through for at least 40yrs because of religious interference in decision making?
    The past is past. Today in the year 2010 I ask you one very simple question that will sum up this entire thread.
    Does the code of ethics of the Mater hospital discriminate against anyone and/or does it adversely affect the quality of service they provide?
    They ain't Catholic are they? They reject the church's teachings and the hospital should abide by that by getting with the times.
    Secular people aren't Catholic (Obviously) and don't follow the teachings of any church. How can the hospital abide by that? They don't discriminate against secular people in any way shape or form so I don't see how they need to "get with the times".

And religion had the final say hence the trial was stopped.
    How hard is it for you to understand? Really.

Their CODE OF ETHICS CODE OF ETHICS CODE OF ETHICS CODE OF ETHICS governed the research trial. They CANNOT allow any medical practice or medical research to take place without it agreeing with their code of ethics. There can be no argument there. It's an axiom, a maxim.

Thats some and they are not following the Catholic religion. In fact the board of the hospital should accommodate their views as the Catholic ethos is against their beliefs.

Which it clearly is by accepting them and treating just like every other patient.

If the hospitals weren't accommodating other beliefs please explain why we have so many muslim doctors in the hospitals?

Which it clearly is by accepting them and treating just like every other patient.

If the hospitals weren't accommodating other beliefs please explain why we have so many muslim doctors in the hospitals?
    We all await a BS reply full of some choice key words like

CATHOLIC ETHOS
    40 YEARS AGO
    CLERGY
    RESEARCH TRIALS
    RELIGIOUS INTERFERENCE

I'm starting to think he's developed some kind of auto responder.

partyatmygaff we have both tried our best here as have so many others who it seems have just had to give up. You have made some excellent points.

We are all getting nowhere and going around in circles. I say we leave garramok to his own delusions and at this stage I would request that this thread please be locked because it has became pointless about 20 pages ago.

every effort has been made to bring valid points to garramok's attention and he has disregarded every single one. I am bored at this stage and can see that he will never cop on and see what people are trying to say to him.

Well done to everyone btw, you have all made some very good posts. Pity they couldn't get through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

It's an axiom, a maxim.

I thought I had to go to a sperm clinic to get that...

partyatmygaff we have both tried our best here as have so many others who it seems have just had to give up. You have made some excellent points.

We are all getting nowhere and going around in circles. I say we leave garramok to his own delusions and at this stage I would request that this thread please be locked because it has became pointless about 20 pages ago.

every effort has been made to bring valid points to garramok's attention and he has disregarded every single one. I am bored at this stage and can see that he will never cop on and see what people are trying to say to him.

Well done to everyone btw, you have all made some very good posts. Pity they couldn't get through!
    Ah well. Guess he'll get it sometime (Hope so at least). You and plenty of others have made brilliant points but gurramok can't and won't back down with his ranting.

This threads needs to get locked, i'm off to bed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

. . . went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'what religion I am'.. . . .
    Thought Ireland was in the 21st century . . . .:confused

I can't believe this has lasted 40 pages.

A fine joke. You're not kidding anyone however.

Provide proof. It is very odd that posters that accuse me of been intolerant and calling me all names under the sun cannot provide evidence of such intolerance.
    It's not interference. It's their code of ethics. It's not hard to understand ffs.

The past is past. Today in the year 2010 I ask you one very simple question that will sum up this entire thread.
    Does the code of ethics of the Mater hospital discriminate against anyone and/or does it adversely affect the quality of service they provide?

Yes it does where religious doctrine interferes in medical treatment just like the cancer trials and the butchery of women(of which I linked proof)
    Secular people aren't Catholic (Obviously) and don't follow the teachings of any church. How can the hospital abide by that? They don't discriminate against secular people in any way shape or form so I don't see how they need to "get with the times".

Despite assuming I had a religion to begin with, they interfered with medical practice as evidenced them using Catholic ethos. Thats a coldhouse for anyone of any other religion or no religion.

You say the past is the past but nothing has changed in the ethos of the hospital whether in 1950 or 2010.

If my morals go counter to the Catholic religion, how do I know that I get first class treatment?:confused:

Their CODE OF ETHICS CODE OF ETHICS CODE OF ETHICS CODE OF ETHICS governed the research trial. They CANNOT allow any medical practice or medical research to take place without it agreeing with their code of ethics. There can be no argument there. It's an axiom, a maxim.

It went against the Catholic ethos. It says that in the articles. You just making stuff up at this point when yet the board rejected the trials based on Catholic ethos.
    Ah well. Guess he'll get it sometime (Hope so at least). You and plenty of others have made brilliant points but gurramok can't and won't back down with his ranting.

No ranting from here at all. I've made brilliant posts and had some posters with a so called Christian background curse at me (not you) for daring to speak out on this issue.

No, the staff of whatever religion will give treatment as far as it does not cross religious teachings as per the ethos. We seen that in the operations on women as per article. Its the board that decides things just like at the cancer trials.

I have not disregarded a single post have i? I've answered each post that does not give abuse.

In case you have not noticed, i've been debating with posters who are passionate about their religious beliefs and I've made quite adequate superb points in my posts and in return from some posters all i've had is to be called intolerant, a bigot & been anti-Catholic without a shred of evidence plus i;ve had a range or curses thrown at me for daring to speak out for my secular views. Thats hardly Christian is it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Provide proof. It is very odd that posters that accuse me of been intolerant and calling me all names under the sun cannot provide evidence of such intolerance.

Yes it does where religious doctrine interferes in medical treatment just like the cancer trials and the butchery of women(of which I linked proof)

Despite assuming I had a religion to begin with, they interfered with medical practice as evidenced them using Catholic ethos. Thats a coldhouse for anyone of any other religion or no religion.

You say the past is the past but nothing has changed in the ethos of the hospital whether in 1950 or 2010.

If my morals go counter to the Catholic religion, how do I know that I get first class treatment?:confused:

It went against the Catholic ethos. It says that in the articles. You just making stuff up at this point when yet the board rejected the trials based on Catholic ethos.

No ranting from here at all. I've made brilliant posts and had some posters with a so called Christian background curse at me (not you) for daring to speak out on this issue.

Do you even read what you write? You know well no-one has accused you of anything that isn't true and we have repeatadly explained the ways in which your intolerance is obvious but you simply refused to listen.

You then resort to cheap shots and repeating the same things over and over again even though all of your points have dealt with several times.

If you want a proper debate then present well thought points and back them up, try to actually read what people have written and respond properly instead of ranting and accusing us of things that you, and not us, are guilty of. Come down of your pedestal and accept that your points so far have been confused and incorrect.

If you can't see where you are going wrong or contiue to refuse to see it then it might be best to leave this thread here.

Do you even read what you write? You know well no-one has accused you of anything that isn't true and we have repeatadly explained the ways in which your intolerance is obvious but you simply refused to listen.

You then resort to cheap shots and repeating the same things over and over again even though all of your points have dealt with several times.

If you want a proper debate then present well thought points and back them up, try to actually read what people have written and respond properly instead of ranting and accusing us of things that you, and not us, are guilty of. Come down of your pedestal and accept that your points so far have been confused and incorrect.

If you can't see where you are going wrong or contiue to refuse to see it then it might be best to leave this thread here.

Pot and kettle comes to mind here.:rolleyes: You're ranting alot there.
    Every single one of your posts displays intolerance and some vitriolic hatred of Catholicism/Christianity. It is simply that you hate anything remotely religious.

Whats your answer to the following where a public hospital has a Catholic ethos?
    1 - Do you wish to see the Catholic ethos board stay as it is?
    2 - Do you wish to see the Catholic ethos board lose 100% control and invite other religions and non-religious onto it?
    3 - Do you wish to see the Catholic ethos board as state controlled?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

could you please start using so,e sort of basic sentence structure in your posts, please? They are near unreadable and make no sense at all.

Actually, go one better and just stop posting contradictions to your own rants altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Equally likewise as you have not put forward anything related to a doctor's code of ethics .

You asserted that a doctor's code of ethics means nothing as against the ethos of a Hospital. I have asked you to back that up. You cant even fins a doctor's code of ethics, nevermind quote it. So, have you even read a doctor's code of ethics...?:D

(I have linked to a doctor's code of ethics on at least two threads on these boards; after you have found a doctor's code of ethics, i'll link to them.....)
    Oh dear. Do you know how they run hospitals? I don't think you do. Can't believe I have to explain this to a poster who claims to know a code of ethics for doctors...

Certain hospitals have different ethos, in this case the Mater(& Vincents) has a Catholic ethos while Tallaght does not. The religious involvement of members of Tallaght do not have a single exclusivity to influence decisions for a particular religion like the Mater does.

You said that the Mater was 'exclusively run' by religous. Would you like to back that up in any substantive way? Because the Mater's Board of Governers is approx 90% lay, and its Board of Directors is 90% lay; just like AMNCH.

When you get into an area where you have no knowledge whatsoever (which i suspect is a common occurence for you), you should stop digging!:D:D

I was asked of 'modern' interference from religion to a doctors practice.

I wonder do the objectors to my posts support this? (and ye wonder why I oppose the Catholic ethos at a hospital!)
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/health/woman-denied-pill-on-religious-basis-129181.html
    examiner wrote:
    Woman denied pill on ‘religious’ basis

A KERRY woman had to travel to Cork to get the morning-after-pill after she was refused the emergency contraception on "religious grounds".

Now women’s health lobby group Choice Ireland has called for emergency contraception to be made available over-the-counter

The group claims women have said they are forced to travel to clinics outside Kerry as doctors there won’t give them the pill.

One woman said she had to travel to Cork the following day after she was refused the contraception at SouthDoc in Tralee and couldn’t find any other GP surgery that was open on a Sunday.

The morning-after contraceptive pill can be taken for up to 72 hours after unprotected sex but the earlier it is taken, the more effective it is.

Spokeswoman for Choice Ireland Sinead Ahern said it is unfair for women to be forced to pay up to €60 for a GP appointment to obtain the pill, before they even pay for their prescription.

"The need for a prescription to obtain the morning -after-pill is a significant burden in itself," she said.

"A woman must first find a GP who will see her – which can be difficult at the weekend, when demand for the pill is highest – and then pay the roughly €60 visit fee, on top of the charge for the pill.

"The longer the delay, the less effective the pill. This poses a particular problem for women in rural areas where access to GPs can be very limited, especially at weekends," she added.

"It is totally unacceptable that a woman can be denied the pill on the basis of that GP’s personal views.

"Medical professionals should act professionally and not allow their religious or ethical beliefs to interfere with the job they are paid to do.

"It is incumbent on the HSE to ensure that patients are not placed in a position where the only doctor available to them is allowed an ‘opt-out’ of the treatment they require."

The morning-after pill is available over the counter in Britain, and in the North.

When contacted yesterday, SouthDoc in Tralee said that they could not comment on doctor-patient exchanges as that would breach patient confidentiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I was asked of 'modern' interference from religion to a doctors practice.

I wonder do the objectors to my posts support this? (and ye wonder why I oppose the Catholic ethos at a hospital!)

And hes wrong again......

The right of a doctor to refuse treatment is on the basis of conscientious objection, which may be for religious, atheistic or any other reason. That right is enshrined in a doctor's code of ethics which you cant find......:D

Hohohoho!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Why should any doctor have to preform any task that goes against their ethics? If assisted suicide was made legal here should all Doctors be forced to preform the task? I wouldn't like to think so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement