Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Jakkass wrote: »
    I would prefer to be treated by a doctor who knew where to draw the line in procedures on a moral level.

I think where Gurramok's points become more succinct is if you consider the possibility of some witch doctor cutting off genitalia to cure a headache because he uses the same excuse as doctors proscribing contraceptives.

The very equivalent of discerning the weather by examining the entrails of a chicken.

LOL, i've heard it all. Doctors deny patients antibiotics on religious grounds. :pac:

Clueless is not the word.

Contraceptives, yes.

And in other countries antibiotics too! Ever read about the attempt to eradicate Polio in countries like Bangladesh?

Educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

drkpower wrote: »
    Yes, but that takes quite a clever kid. So I think my nads are safe with this one......;)

I Like it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, those doctors use their own code of ethics to dictate their practice. That's how Doctors operate. PLEASE stop embarrassing yourself and stop talking.

Shouldn't you be marching today? :D

So you have no problem whatsoever when a doctor denies you treatment based on their religious beliefs?
    LOL, i've heard it all. Doctors deny patients antibiotics on religious grounds. :pac:

Nothing is ruled out, once they find you are non-Catholic and use any excuse in the book to deny treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Contraceptives, yes.

And in other countries antibiotics too! Ever read about the attempt to eradicate Polio in countries like Bangladesh?

Educate yourself.

Which Irish hospital denies contraceptives?

• Advertisement

Contraceptives, yes.

Educate yourself.

Indeed, and apparently apart for a brief waver in 2006 it has been highly successful.

k_mac wrote: »
    Which Irish hospital denies contraceptives?

He said doctors, not hospitals. There have been plenty of cases brought to light, particularly in the West.

gurramok wrote: »
    Shouldn't you be marching today? :D

So you have no problem whatsoever when a doctor denies you treatment based on their religious beliefs?

Nothing is ruled out, once they find you are non-Catholic and use any excuse in the book to deny treatment.

Hmm, lets see, my doctor thinks I am Catholic. What is he at then, major conspiracy going on here, am storming his surgery tomorrow to see what hes playing at. I am Catholic, I should get my antibiotics when I am feeling poorly.

He said doctors, not hospitals. There have been plenty of cases brought to light, particularly in the West.

Then go to another Doctor, Good Lord, how hard is that.

Indeed, and apparently apart for a brief waver in 2006 it has been highly successful.

Except in Bangladesh and a few others, where Muslim Imams declared it a conspiracy of the infidels, and delayed the complete eradication of the disease. In some parts, it may never be achieved. It has not been as successful as say the eradication of smallpox.

EDIT: for the sake of clarity, it is useful to consider Afghanistan and Pakistan, who, apart from inaccessibility, also suffer from religous madness, sufficiently genocidal as to block the vaccine almost as effectively as difficult terrain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I have read about it actually (Practice for the HPAT). First of all polio is a viral infection, not a bacterial infection therefore there is no such thing as an antibiotic for polio. Second of all, religious opposition to the vaccination was hardly the biggest issue. Relatively speaking it was a minor hindrance. Poverty, storage and administration of the Vaccine programme were the main issues.
    Educate yourself.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

But the point of this thread was state funded hospitals being non-secular.

I have read about it actually (Practice for the HPAT). First of all polio is a viral infection, not a bacterial infection therefore there is no such thing as an antibiotic for polio. Second of all, religious opposition to the Vaccine was hardly the biggest hindrance. Poverty, storage and administration of the Vaccine programme were the main issues.

Where did I say it was the biggest hindrance? When did I say polio required antibiotics? I guess I could have been more specific and said vaccine, but I imagine my interlocutors were sufficiently educated.

;)

Excellent, I was half right in my expectations.

Hmm, lets see, my doctor thinks I am Catholic. What is he at then, major conspiracy going on here, am storming his surgery tomorrow to see what hes playing at. I am Catholic, I should get my antibiotics when I am feeling poorly.

Have you been following the thread Harry?! The problem is not with Catholics getting treatment by Catholic doctors!!

That's like the Pope giving the blessing to an Archbishop :D

k_mac wrote: »
    But the point of this thread was state funded hospitals being non-secular.

What can I say? I like specificity. I only corrected the assumption. Feel free to continue.

Then go to another Doctor, Good Lord, how hard is that.

Easy peasy, I was just pointing out that it's irrational and irrelevant to apply any religious morality or dogma to medical treatment.

Why so serious?

Except in Bangladesh and a few others, where Muslim Imams declared it a conspiracy of the infidels, and delayed the complete eradication of the disease. In some parts, it may never be achieved. It has not been as successful as say the eradication of smallpox.

EDIT: for the sake of clarity, it is useful to consider Afghanistan and Pakistan, who, apart from inaccessibility, also suffer from religous madness, sufficiently genocidal as to block the vaccine almost as effectively as difficult terrain.

http://us.oneworld.net/article/358885-heath-experts-immunize-millions-against-polio
    http://www.whoban.org/health_tech_pharma_polio.html
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/39846.php

Here, educate yourself before you tell anyone else to

Have you been following the thread Harry?! The problem is not with Catholics getting treatment by Catholic doctors!!

That's like the Pope giving the blessing to an Archbishop :D

So, its a Catholic doctor refusing to give antibiotics to a Catholic patient, the conspiracy is going even deeper than I thought, I am bringing a lynch mob to this mans surgery tomorrow and he will pay for me not getting my antibiotics.

Of course they're getting there, thanks to the continued effort on the part of secular medical authorities and volunteers. The issue I raised was the delay that resulted from religiously-inspired wanton ignorance.

As your links refer to, the countries I mentioned like Pakistan for example, are as yet not polio-free.

If you want a good background on this topic, Chris Hitchens has some excellent articles he wrote closer to the eradication programme's early days. I'll see if I can dig them up for you.

No I won't. They have every right to. They are not machines, they are human beings and they have their own code of ethics. I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and cry over it for days, i'll just find another doctor.

Yeah, once they realise you're not Catholic they'll prescribe you a cocktail of benzene and methanol and tell you to take a 50ml solution of it every day. Those evil scheming discriminating sectarian doctors (That happen only to exist only in your wild imagination)....

Where did I say it was the biggest hindrance? When did I say polio required antibiotics? I guess I could have been more specific and said vaccine, but I imagine my interlocutors were sufficiently educated.
    No need to act superior. Had you even bothered to read the posts leading to it you would have realised the discussion was about antibiotics. You even mentioned antibiotics yourself before talking about polio.

Excellent, I was half right in my expectations.
    Brilliant, have a medal.

• Advertisement

So, its a Catholic doctor refusing to give antibiotics to a Catholic patient, the conspiracy is going even deeper than I thought, I am bringing a lynch mob to this mans surgery tomorrow and he will pay for me not getting my antibiotics.

No, why did the doctor refuse then? Perhaps the patient didn't go to mass that often:rolleyes:

Why should a Catholic public doctor refuse treatment to a non-Catholic based on religious grounds? (it has happened as per online articles)

Brilliant, have a medal.

Can I pin it on him??? *Gets six inch nail and hammer*

No, why did the doctor refuse then? Perhaps the patient didn't go to mass that often:rolleyes:

Why should a Catholic public doctor refuse treatment to a non-Catholic based on religious grounds? (it has happened as per online articles)

Do ya know why he refused, now sit down for this, you might not be expecting it. Medical grounds, can you believe that, the nerve of the man.

No need to act superior. Had you even bothered to read the posts leading to it you would have realised the discussion was about antibiotics. You even mentioned antibiotics yourself before talking about polio.

Superior? Not at all. I was merely suggesting that treatment (whether antibiotics, vaccines, contraceptives, or others) can and have been denied on religious grounds, here and abroad.
    Brilliant, have a medal.

Put it beside my certificate of insanity, thanks. :pac:

Feel free. Make sure it's a solid gold nail now. Can't use anything less than that on a "Superior-than-thou" badge after all.

Much obliged.

Feel free. Make sure it's a solid gold nail now. Can't use anything less than that on a "Superior-than-thou" badge after all.

I'd settle for silver. I have a theory I want to test.

You sense that condescending tone too eh?

Superior? Not at all. I was merely suggesting that treatment (whether antibiotics, vaccines, contraceptives, or others) can and have been denied on religious grounds, here and abroad.
    We know that. It's been stated already in this thread perhaps even fifty times.

• Advertisement

No I won't. They have every right to. They are not machines, they are human beings and they have their own code of ethics. I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and cry over it for days, i'll just find another doctor.

So here we have it, you are so blinded in your religious beliefs that you believe a patient has no rights when it comes to been denied treatment based on the personal beliefs of religious doctors.

Yeah, once they realise you're not Catholic they'll prescribe you a cocktail of benzene and methanol and tell you to take a 50ml solution of it every day. Those evil scheming discriminating sectarian doctors (That happen only to exist only in your wild imagination)....

Actually you bring up a very good point there. It is indeed sectarianism in its ugliest form :mad:

Do ya know why he refused, now sit down for this, you might not be expecting it. Medical grounds, can you believe that, the nerve of the man.

Oh boy Harry. It was on religious grounds. Read the article again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement