Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Ah yes, the atheism thread, where they talk about God more than any Christian ever does. How they obsess about something they say doesn't even exist. Surely its bordering on insanity to talk at length about things that are not there.

Only if the rest of the population did not persist in allowing such fantasies take the place of considered debate in public services and policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Only two days 17 today. ;)

I'm off to do a bit of study.

Enjoy yourselves now :pac:

First off Happy Birthday, and secondly thanks for leaving us with the loony. If you ever become a Doctor I will never go near you for doing that!!

Your third point has nothing to do with medical ethics. Ethics are rules we abide by whether we agree with them or not, they are for the best interests of patients in the vast majority of circumstances. Beliefs are privately held, keep them private, they should not interfere with your duties as a physician in best practice.

End of.

Look up the definition of ethics, you will find no relevance to your grasp of it

Look up the definition of ethics, you will find no relevance to your grasp of it

There are ethical codes that are applied in organisations, particularly so within scientific institutions. I found quite a nice summary from the citizen's compendium. The codes change in response to new knowledge that sheds light on the ethical baseline of good vs evil in making decisions.
    Medical ethics started with Hippocrates and his oath to 'do no harm. Today the term covers a range of issues in health care and other related fields, especially the study of moral values as they apply to medicine. In many cases, moral values can be in conflict, and ethical crises can result. Medical ethics shares many principles with other areas of healthcare ethics, such as nursing ethics. A particularly controversial area of medical ethics is that of so-called reproductive ethics.

Medical ethics should have nothing to do with theology, although some surely will beg to differ. Following the moral Zeitgeist at least allows for progress in response to increasing knowledge.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You are not sticking up for non-Catholics, you are on a personal diatribe. In fact any non_Catholic I know would be highly embarassed by your ranting, allegedly on their behalf. Its funny because your logic is all over the shop. But you are right, its not funny./ Its sad.

No, i'm not. Its you that is on a personal diatribe against Athiests with the following:
    Ah yes, the atheism thread, where they talk about God more than any Christian ever does. How they obsess about something they say doesn't even exist. Surely its bordering on insanity to talk at length about things that are not there

Despite saying you're not religious:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

You know If I were working in a newsagent and started refusing to sell cigarettes/lottery tickets/copies of the Daily Mail "on ethical grounds" I strongly suspect I would find myself out on my @r$€; pretty quickly.

Furthermore were I to subsequently take my case to a tribunal I strongly suspect it would be laughed out of court.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    You know If I were working in a newsagent and started refusing to sell cigarettes/lottery tickets/copies of the Daily Mail "on ethical grounds" I strongly suspect I would find myself out on my @r$€; pretty quickly.

Furthermore were I to subsequently take my case to a tribunal I strongly suspect it would be laughed out of court.

completely different situation

completely different situation

How?

Humour me on this one if you wouldn't mind.

How?

Humour me on this one if you wouldn't mind.

Because a doctor is following his code of practice and ethics which include him following his own beliefs. As partyatmygaff explained a hypocritical doctor is not a good doctor.

Why would beliefs affect a newsagents?

LOL

If I as a doctor was the only one in Ireland who had a FDA approve magic potion that cured cancer and I dispensed from my practice only to non-Catholics as I didn't believe they abided by my beliefs that you must have sex before marriage, how would you feel XxMCRxBabyxX? :D

• Advertisement

Because a doctor is following his code of practice and ethics which include him following his own beliefs. As partyatmygaff explained a hypocritical doctor is not a good doctor.

Why should doctors be allowed to include metaphysical nonsense that they can let then prevent them from helping a woman obtain birth control or an early abortion?

Should the fundamentalist Muslim Garda (just for argument's sake) be allowed to refuse to deal with a rape victim because she is unclean and deserving of death by stoning for adultery according to his beliefs?

I know it's a rather radical example but you can see where things can lead if we don't include those who are even less rational than the doctor who refuses birth control based on commands from senile old frauds in the Vatican.
    Why would beliefs affect a newsagents?

It doesn't matter how or why, what matters is that it is absurd.

gurramok wrote: »
    No, i'm not. Its you that is on a personal diatribe against Athiests with the following:

Finally you have proven you have no idea of whats going on in this debate. I did not go on a diatribe against atheists, I made what could be considered a pretty fair comment with regard to the atheist forum. Quote me the post where I said I was not religious will you please.

LOL

If I as a doctor was the only one in Ireland who had a FDA approve magic potion that cured cancer and I dispensed from my practice only to non-Catholics as I didn't believe they abided by my beliefs that you must have sex before marriage, how would you feel XxMCRxBabyxX? :D

You believe you MUST have sex before marriage? Thats a pretty tough belief, lots of needless stress and pressure on people.

You believe you MUST have sex before marriage? Thats a pretty tough belief, lots of needless stress and pressure on people.

The red herring is irrelevant. That you must have sex or cannot have sex before marriage is only an example. I think if you or anyone else holding the opposite viewpoint to us would answer the question honestly the whole discussion might move ahead a smidge.

The red herring is irrelevant. That you must have sex or cannot have sex before marriage is only an example. I think if you or anyone else holding the opposite viewpoint to us would answer the question honestly the whole discussion might move ahead a smidge.

The entire question is a red herring because a situation would never arise in this country where only one doctor would have a treatment available for anything. Question answered.

Finally you have proven you have no idea of whats going on in this debate. I did not go on a diatribe against atheists, I made what could be considered a pretty fair comment with regard to the atheist forum. Quote me the post where I said I was not religious will you please.

I said your were religious. No way you are an athiest!! Can you read my posts right?:confused:

Maybe if you have a problem with the atheist forum, report it as its against your beliefs?;):D

The entire question is a red herring because a situation would never arise in this country where only one doctor would have a treatment available for anything. Question answered.

Your refusal to answer the question is noted.

Read your own posts properly

I said your were religious. No way you are an athiest!! Can you read my posts right?:confused:

Maybe if you have a problem with the atheist forum, report it as its against your beliefs?;):D

I have no problem with the forum, I just think its hilarious that a group of people who don't believe in God spend all their time in there griping about him. Unlike you I respect the views of others whose views are different to mine

Read your own posts properly

I certainly do, hope you read them through clear glasses too Harry ;)
    I have no problem with the forum, I just think its hilarious that a group of people who don't believe in God spend all their time in there griping about him. Unlike you I respect the views of others whose views are different to mine

Why not respect my view? Just because I raise a very important issue in a non-Catholic country?

• Advertisement

I certainly do, hope you read them through clear glasses too Harry ;)

Why not respect my view? Just because I raise a very important issue in a non-Catholic country?

No admission that you were wrong on that point either.

What country are you living in? Census of 2006 : Catholics 86.8%, No Religion 4.4%.

Makes me wonder if you have any idea about anything except your own viewpoint.

LOL

I'm a non-catholic so works for me

No admission that you were wrong on that point either.

What country are you living in? Census of 2006 : Catholics 86.8%, No Religion 4.4%.

Makes me wonder if you have any idea about anything except your own viewpoint.

I am part of that 86.8%. Born and raised a Catholic. Does that make me Catholic then?:confused:

Do 3.6m so called Catholics attend mass every Sunday and abide by the Catholic Church's teachings? :rolleyes:

I am part of that 86.8%. Born and raised a Catholic. Does that me Catholic then?:confused:

Do 3.6m so called Catholics attend mass every Sunday and abide by the Catholic Church's teachings? :rolleyes:

They are census figures of 2006, ya know, a form people fill in, showing what their religion IS, not what they were born as. What Catholics do is their own personal business as regards their practice of their religion. I don't tell methodists or presbyterians how to practice their religion.

The furthur this thread goes on the more you come across as clueless. Its sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

A few points:

Can anyone provide any proof where someone was denied or refused critical or emergency care due to their faith in Ireland?
    If you can not find proof, end the thread and stop spouting rubbish.

Does anyone think that this would actually happen?

As for the case in Galway, that was a private practice to help couples, who do not believe in using contraceptives on religious grounds, to conceive (or not).
    It was not a public service.

Whoever said that the patient who was refused contraceptives in Kerry had to drive hundreds of miles to get them, should really look at a map someday, or else take a glimpse of reality.

They are census figures of 2006, ya know, a form people fill in, showing what their religion IS, not what they were born as. What Catholics do is their own personal business as regards their practice of their religion. I don't tell methodists or presbyterians how to practice their religion.

The furthur this thread goes on the more you come across as clueless. Its sad.

So you believe in in lapsed Catholics then. You must feel deepest sympathy for them when they are denied treatment by religious Catholic doctors as they are breaching Catholic doctrine.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Whoever said that the patient who was refused contraceptives in Kerry had to drive hundreds of miles to get them, should really look at a map someday, or else take a glimpse of reality.

A patient should not have to travel 1 mile or a 100 miles to obtain legit treatment just because a doctor threw a religious wobbler.

So you believe in in lapsed Catholics then. You must feel deepest sympathy for them when they are denied treatment by religious Catholic doctors as they are breaching Catholic doctrine.

Now you're just becoming so surreal. You really are sad.

A patient should not have to travel 1 mile or a 100 miles to obtain legit treatment just because a doctor threw a religious wobbler.

You've been throwing a religious wobbler for five days, whats your point?

• Advertisement

Now you're just becoming so surreal. You really are sad.

Its the reality. What makes you think i'm sad, did you put teardrops in my eyes? :D
    You've been throwing a religious wobbler for five days, whats your point?

I ain't religious. Did you not realise that? Where have you been?! :confused::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement