Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

gurramok wrote: »
    Its the reality. What makes you think i'm sad, did you put teardrops in my eyes? :D

I ain't religious. Did you not realise that? Where have you been?! :confused::rolleyes:

Can you please stop using smilies. They serve no purpose in this quantity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

k_mac wrote: »
    Can you please stop using smilies. They serve no purpose in this quantity.

Woot?:eek:

Are they against your beliefs?:eek::D Or maybe you are not allegedly a Catholic?

If you're not a Catholic, does it bother you that a Catholic doctor can deny you treatment based on the doctors religious beliefs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I am part of that 86.8%. Born and raised a Catholic. Does that make me Catholic then?:confused:

Do 3.6m so called Catholics attend mass every Sunday and abide by the Catholic Church's teachings? :rolleyes:
    Good point. Apparently im also Catholic, dont believe in God though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Woot?:eek:

Are they against your beliefs?:eek::D Or maybe you are not allegedly a Catholic?

If you're not a Catholic, does it bother you that a Catholic doctor can deny you treatment based on the doctors religious beliefs?

No they just annoy me.

And no it doesn't bother me as long as I have alternatives.

No they just annoy me.

Then perhaps start a campaign to ban them?
    And no it doesn't bother me as long as I have alternatives.

Like what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I have no problem with the forum, I just think its hilarious that a group of people who don't believe in God spend all their time in there griping about him. Unlike you I respect the views of others whose views are different to mine

If you were to generalize groups of people based on what a few people post on boards, you must have strange ideas about them.

If you respect the views of others does that include NAMBLA members? And Jehovah's withnesses who rather their kid die than take a blood transfusion? Or the views of the guys that did the 9-11 attacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Look gurramok, let me sum up what I think you're saying here, and tell me if I have missed the point or if I've hit the nail on your head.

You didn't like being asked if you had a religion or not, because you believe that such a question is archaic. Why is such a question archaic? Presumably because you believe that such a question is holding on to an irrelevant relic. You think that faith, belief and religion have no place in Ireland anymore because you think that most people have moved on from such superstitions and patent nonsense (from your point of view and not mine).

You think that it is high time that religious influence was removed from all hospitals, all schools, all universities, and society at large, because apparently Ireland is a totally secular society nowadays. People don't need the "skyhook" that they were taught to believe in. There is no point of having any visible signs of Christian, or any other religious influence in our society anymore. Actually, there never was.

Modern science has moved along with time, and so should we. You would argue that we should live such non-thinking behind, because it is holding society back given that you would see it as being patently untrue.

You find the question patently offensive, because not only is it offensive to you, you think it is offensive to mankind that such a question is still on the cards.

Tell me if I'm wrong in my interpretation of your position, also let me know if I am right so that I can chip in with my thoughts on your current position.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If you were to generalize groups of people based on what a few people post on boards, you must have strange ideas about them.
    To be fair... Militant Atheists are far more vocal than militant theists.

Firstly, I was not asked if I had a religion. It was auto assumed I had a religion. That answers your archaic question.

Secondly, people can gave any faith they want. I think its a stupid nonsense yes but I respect them for that and i'm not out to convert them.

Thirdly, as I said..I want religious control removed from from all hospitals(like the Catholic Ethos hospital), all schools, all universities, and society at large because I believe Ireland is a secular society. Religion can still stay for those that worship religion, like a chaplin in the hospital, religion as a subject in schools and universities.

Fourthly, religion should never hold back modern science. This directly relates to the cancer trials and the Kerry contraception scandal. It just so happens doctors practice a part of that science where their religious beliefs conflict with science and its the patients that lose out like in Kerry.
    Yes, I believe that advances in science will erode religion over time, thats my belief.

And back to the question, yes it was offensive for a Catholic run hospital to assume I was religious without asking if I had a religion at all. For this position I was attacked by Catholic posters which does not bode well for tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jakkass wrote: »

You didn't like being asked if you had a religion or not, because you believe that such a question is archaic. Why is such a question archaic? Presumably because you believe that such a question is holding on to an irrelevant relic. You think that faith, belief and religion have no place in Ireland anymore because you think that most people have moved on from such superstitions and patent nonsense (from your point of view and not mine).

Religion has no place in a hospital, what difference does it make what his belif's are? he required medical treatment not a an exercisit.

You think that it is high time that religious influence was removed from all hospitals, all schools, all universities, and society at large, because apparently Ireland is a totally secular society nowadays. People don't need the "skyhook" that they were taught to believe in. There is no point of having any visible signs of Christian, or any other religious influence in our society anymore. Actually, there never was.

It has no place in any of the above places.
    You find the question patently offensive, because not only is it offensive to you, you think it is offensive to mankind that such a question is still on the cards.

Asking such a question in 2010 i find more embarassing than offensive.

It's like asking a paitent do they belive in Santa before giving treatment.

• Advertisement

And back to the question, yes it was offensive for a Catholic run hospital to assume I was religious without asking if I had a religion at all. For this position I was attacked by Catholic posters which does not bode well for tolerance.
    Very few of the posters that took issue with your posts were Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

To be fair... Militant Atheists are far more vocal than militant theists.

Well that's clearly nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

farna_boy wrote: »
    A few points:

Can anyone provide any proof where someone was denied or refused critical or emergency care due to their faith in Ireland?
    If you can not find proof, end the thread and stop spouting rubbish.

Does anyone think that this would actually happen?

A patient should not have to travel 1 mile or a 100 miles to obtain legit treatment just because a doctor threw a religious wobbler.

Do you want to answer the other questions I asked you or are they an inconvenience since you will have to admit you are wrong?

ntlbell wrote: »
    Religion has no place in a hospital, what difference does it make what his belif's are? he required medical treatment not a an exercisit.

This point was answered near enough to the first page. A hospital is a place of birth and death. For some people, Religion is of massive importance and for that reason its presence in a hospital is very important. Remember, you aren't the only person in the country.

It has no place in any of the above places.
    Religion has no place in schools? It does. Not one religion but all religions should be taught. Religion is a major constituent of many people's lives. People must be educated.

Religion has no place in universities? It may or may not. Certainly it should be taught as a course, that's unarguable but whether or not a communal prayer area is needed is debatable.

This point was answered near enough to the first page. A hospital is a place of birth and death. For some people, Religion is of massive importance and for that reason its presence in a hospital is very important. Remember, you aren't the only person in the country.

But that's no excuse for assuming somebody has a religion?
    Religion has no place in schools? It does. Not one religion but all religions should be taught. Religion is a major constituent of many people's lives. People must be educated.

You can be educated on religion in the home, there's no need for it in school. school is hectic enough without wasting students time with the nonsense of religion imo, if you want to learn about it do it in your own time.

we have people coming out of our education system not prepared to make simple financial desicions and are compltley un prepared for the real world and we're wasting their time education them on fairy tales.

Very few of the posters that took issue with your posts were Catholic.

Yes, and Jesus was not Christian. Pull the other one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

jesus wasn't a christian, he was jewish

ye gods

Do you want to answer the other questions I asked you or are they an inconvenience since you will have to admit you are wrong?

It was already proven to you. Lung cancer trials. Last time I checked lung cancer killed people.

jesus wasn't a christian, he was jewish

ye gods

You missed a smiley there! So the founder of Christianity is not Christian!:rolleyes:

It was already proven to you. Lung cancer trials. Last time I checked lung cancer killed people.

Do you realise the difference between a trial/study/research and emergency/critical care?

Answer the question, stop dodging, stop changing the goal posts:

Can anyone provide any proof where someone was denied or refused critical or emergency care due to their faith in Ireland?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    But that's no excuse for assuming somebody has a religion?
    No one assumed anything. It's for efficiency, one question rather than two. The form on the screen probably looks like

Religion:

The one asking him just formed the first question that came to them
    "What religion are you?"
    It's not offensive and not something to cause a fuss about. Just say none and be done with it.
    You can be educated on religion in the home, there's no need for it in school.
    With that logic parents should teach their kids everything. Religion isn't something like manners or teaching a child how to walk. I doubt many parents have the ability to teach their kids religion.
    school is hectic enough without wasting students time with the nonsense of religion imo, if you want to learn about it do it in your own time.
    Hardly. It's mandatory until the JC and even at that very little of it has to do with actual religion. Most of it is morality and sociology with small bits on each of the five world religions. LC Religion (The non-exam one which most do) has very very little to do with actual religions. For example, we're doing the Rwandan genocide now.

we have people coming out of our education system not prepared to make simple financial desicions and are compltley un prepared for the real world
    That's not something a school can teach. People should think before they take any decision.
    and we're wasting their time education them on fairy tales.
    You think it's a waste of time. Many others do not.

Do you realise the difference between a trial/study/research and emergency/critical care?

Jesus, lung cancer patients were denied a life saving drug. Do you want them dead before you believe thats critical care? FFS.:rolleyes:

Stop spouting rubbish yourself. You have no clue what pain lung cancer patients go through :mad:

Yes, and Jesus was not Christian. Pull the other one.
    You missed a smiley there! So the founder of Christianity is not Christian!rolleyes.gif

Do you anything about anything? Seriously.

You're going on this big rant about religion and medicine without knowing the slightest tidbit of information on either topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

You're going on this big rant about religion and medicine without knowing the slightest tidbit of information on either topic.

+1
    Did he ever find the doctor's code of ethics which in large parts informs this debate?

I missed the last 10 pages (thank ****)!

Jesus, lung cancer patients were denied a life saving drug. Do you want them dead before you believe thats critical care? FFS.:rolleyes:

Stop spouting rubbish yourself. You have no clue what pain lung cancer patients go through :mad:
    First of all stop padding each post with a million smileys. It makes your posts look even more clueless then they already are.
    Second of all, no hospital and no doctor will allow a trial or practice that disagrees with their ethical and moral codes. There are plenty of hospitals that would take no issue with the trial and would be more than happy to host it.

Thirdly of all, you haven't got a clue what pain lung cancer patients go through either so stop acting as if you do. (No offence intended if you have actually suffered from lung cancer).

No one assumed anything. It's for efficiency, one question rather than two. The form on the screen probably looks like

Religion:

The one asking him just formed the first question that came to them
    "What religion are you?"
    It's not offensive and not something to cause a fuss about. Just say none and be done with it.

They made an assumption, you're saying they made an ssumption to save time, ok but they did make one.
    With that logic parents should teach their kids everything. Religion isn't something like manners or teaching a child how to walk. I doubt many parents have the ability to teach their kids religion.
    Hardly. It's mandatory until the JC and even at that very little of it has to do with actual religion. Most of it is morality and sociology with small bits on each of the five world religions. LC Religion (The non-exam one which most do) has very very little to do with actual religions. For example, we're doing the Rwandan genocide now

It's not like a parent teaching their kid algebra, their educating them on their own faith :confused::confused:

As I said we have a conveyor belt of idiots coming out of the education system that can't make a simple caluclation like can they afford a mortgage. we need to concentrate on educating people so they're prepared for the real world, not about fairy tales. If you want your kid educated on it, educte them yourself, buy them a few books or get them a library card.
    That's not something a school can teach. People should think before they take any decision.

You think it's a waste of time. Many others do not.

Of course it's something we can teach, you know real life skills, something tangible, not fluffy fairy tale ****.

if it's important to people as i said, then teach your kids it, but leace the shcools to get on with the serious buisness of educating your kids, not teaching them nonsense useless fluff.

What you on about? He was Jewish who founded a new religion called Christianity hence he became Christian.

He is called Jesus Christ for a reason!. Did you miss religion class that day?:rolleyes:

drkpower wrote: »
    +1
    Did he ever find the doctor's code of ethics which in large parts informs this debate?

Don't think so ;)

drkpower wrote: »
    +1

You've been missing for around 10hours, did you find the code of ethics in all that time?

Or did you find Santa as your fond of the hohohohoho remarks.:D

• Advertisement

Has the drug since cured lung cancer?

No.

The following links show clinical trials have killed or injured people in the past:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article4794782.ece

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/health/article1990908.ece

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/oct/18/dozens-killed-acupuncture-needles

http://www.drugawareness.org/recentcasesblog/celexa-youth-in-india-dies-during-clinical-trial

Show me the link where the lung cancer drug above has cured lung cancer? If it has not, then they were not denied a life saving drug.

Proof of GTFO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement