Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes, I was visiting a clinic at the Mater Hospital and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'what religion I am'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no religion'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?:mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a hospital care about my religious beliefs?:confused:

Why not just say Catholic, which by birth you probably are? Unless in cases of abuse etc I have no time for millitant athiesm. You are (probably) Catholic. Get the fcuk over yourself. Im Catholic. I dont know what I believe in, I havent been in a church since a funeral 2 years ago, I dont even go at Christmas, and I think the current pope is somewhat evil looking, but fcuk me I am not going to tick athiest on a census form, or not get my kids baptised, just to be a fcuking trend setter.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Yes, I was visiting a clinic at the Mater Hospital and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'what religion I am'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no religion'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?:mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a hospital care about my religious beliefs?:confused:

Get over yourself will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You've a funny way of describing what mutants are.

I believe It's called the medical definition ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why not just say Catholic, which by birth you probably are? Unless in cases of abuse etc I have no time for millitant athiesm. You are (probably) Catholic. Get the fcuk over yourself. Im Catholic. I dont know what I believe in, I havent been in a church since a funeral 2 years ago, I dont even go at Christmas, and I think the current pope is somewhat evil looking, but fcuk me I am not going to tick athiest on a census form, or not get my kids baptised, just to be a fcuking trend setter.

Why would you be ticking the "Catholic" box on a census form to support a group that you don't like/ believe in? Lying on the census forms is a crime you know? It's also possible to be Christian without being catholic, no need to force your kids into the same system that you have clearly got stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've posted on this thread maybe 10 times by now.
    I'm giving up.

If the OP was for real they would have contacted hospital management by now.
    But hasn't done so.........

Nope, this is usual "I'm an Atheist and I'm outraged and looking for attention" thread but they never help themselves

The tags are fantastic though :D

I'll answer your questions if you answer mine, why should one debate about the Harry Potter movie here? You never answered that.
    I believe It's called the medical definition ;)

Sure, mutants just like those with 3 arms and 4 legs. Sure you support that alright.

I find it quite an enlightenment that posters with a religious but non-Catholic background can debate civilly but the youngsters with a staunch Catholic background come out with such immature posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

robinph wrote: »
    Why would you be ticking the "Catholic" box on a census form to support a group that you don't like/ believe in? Lying on the census forms is a crime you know? It's also possible to be Christian without being catholic, no need to force your kids into the same system that you have clearly got stuck in.

Possibly how he rears his kids is his own business?

I'll answer your questions if you answer mine, why should one debate about the Harry Potter movie here? You never answered that.

Sure, mutants just like those with 3 arms and 4 legs. Sure you support that alright.

I find it quite an enlightenment that posters with a religious but non-Catholic background can debate civilly but the youngsters with a staunch Catholic background come out with such immature posts.

Nobody was debating Harry Potter in here. Anyway, hes well cool. Sure in your mind hes as likely to exist as God anyway, and still waiting for ya to tell me what muppet you are.

Nobody was debating Harry Potter in here. Anyway, hes well cool. Sure in your mind hes as likely to exist as God anyway, and still waiting for ya to tell me what muppet you are.

You were quoting from the cast of the HarryPotter movie last night, whats that got to do with religion?

What do you want me to say?:confused:

You were quoting from the cast of the HarryPotter movie last night, whats that got to do with religion?

What do you want me to say?:confused:

Nothing would be good, but you were called a muppet and would be great to have a debate on which one you are, even though I still think you're a fire eater myself

Nothing would be good, but you were called a muppet and would be great to have a debate on which one you are, even though I still think you're a fire eater myself

Why would I call myself that:confused:

Your posts sound like they are from the parish pulpit of small town narrow mindedness.

• Advertisement

Why would I call myself that:confused:

Your posts sound like they are from the parish pulpit of small town narrow mindedness.

Now now, don't be like that just cos they threw you out of the seminary gerromic

Now now, don't be like that just cos they threw you out of the seminary gerromic

Thats just potty mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

So you have NO problem with the Catholic clergy running a Childrens hospital despite their heinous record in child abuse? :eek:

FFS man - the thread is a debate over whether a hospital has a right to ask you what religion you are. This has been answered several times. Are you now implying that A) child abuse is a doctrine of the church and B) Children are being abused by clergy in hospitals?

If you look at a LOT of my posts on boards you will see that I have officially left the Catholic church, am an atheist and have no time whatsoever for the RCC.
    You have reduced this thread to petty slandering because that is all your posts are worthy of.

optogirl wrote: »
    FFS man - the thread is a debate over whether a hospital has a right to ask you what religion you are. This has been answered several times. Are you now implying that A) child abuse is a doctrine of the church and B) Children are being abused by clergy in hospitals?

A - no
    B - Some maybe considering the history of clergy abusing children. If there are no coverups, trust would be restored.

Its a valid question as the religious order runs the childrens hospital.

Hang on now - so we should all just stay Catholic? Fu*k that

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

optogirl wrote: »
    Hang on now - so we should all just stay Catholic? Fu*k that

Saywhatever the **** you want but don't make a big deal out of a nothing question.

TheBlock wrote: »
    Saywhatever the **** you want but don't make a big deal out of a nothing question.

agreed

A - no
    B - Some maybe considering the history of clergy abusing children. If there are no coverups, trust would be restored.

Its a valid question as the religious order runs the childrens hospital.

Clergy abusing children in hospitals, now you have truly shown yourself up gonzo.

Clergy abusing children in hospitals, now you have truly shown yourself up gonzo.

As what Harry?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Thread Tags:
    • al-qaida doctors
    • angry hospital man
    • argue for fun
    • atheists better than god
    • attention seeking op's
    • biblical posters
    • christians are smelly
    • crank just being awkward
    • forms are evil
    • god is a g.p.
    • god squad
    • grrr i'm angry
    • i'm offended!
    • jakkass
    • jeez guys there is no god
    • leave atheism alone
    • look at me i'm atheist!
    • more annoying atheism...
    • op is god
    • religious nutcases
    • so much bs its funny
    • stupid theists
    • stupidity
    • supreme stupidity
    • taliban hospitals

I'm glad we've covered a broad scale of topics on this thread :pac:

• Advertisement

As what Harry?

As an idiotic malcontent, there has never been a case of a child being abused by clergy in a public hospital in this country. Get a grip ya raving lunatic, how sad is that life of yours that you come on the internet for days making uneducated, wild, unfounded, ludicrous and idiotic posts. The sooner they take internet access off ye in that insane asylum the better gonzo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Possibly how he rears his kids is his own business?

Not saying that it is anything but their business, just seems odd to send the kids to follow the RC system when they clearly don't agree with it...and seemingly just because everyone else does.

It's not exactly trend setting to want to avoid the RC for whatever reason, and it doesn't make you special in anyway. Blindly following them because your parents did ... maybe. :D

Not saying that it is anything but their business, just seems odd to send the kids to follow the RC system when they clearly don't agree with it...and seemingly just because everyone else does.

It's not exactly trend setting to want to avoid the RC for whatever reason, and it doesn't make you special in anyway. Blindly following them because your parents did ... maybe. :D

Perhaps like many parents he is exposing the children to the Catholic faith and they can then make up their own minds when they grow up because the ultimate decision is theirs, many non religious parents do that.

As an idiotic malcontent, there has never been a case of a child being abused by clergy in a public hospital in this country. Get a grip ya raving lunatic, how sad is that life of yours that you come on the internet for days making uneducated, wild, unfounded, ludicrous and idiotic posts. The sooner they take internet access off ye in that insane asylum the better gonzo.

Ranting again are we?
    Perhaps like many parents he is exposing the children to the Catholic faith and they can then make up their own minds when they grow up because the ultimate decision is theirs, many non religious parents do that.

Progress at last from a deeply religious poster. Finally you can see that people can not be indoctrinated by the Church, they should be allowed to make up their own minds whether to be Catholic or not. Take a leaf out of that Potter.

I thought that once the church had you they never let you go? Wasn't there some website shut down recently because they were letting people sign off from the churches list of believers and they just changed their mind about letting people leave?

No problem at all with kids being taught about different religions, I do have a problem with them being told there is only one and this is the right one or you'll go to hell or whatever though.

I thought that once the church had you they never let you go? Wasn't there some website shut down recently because they were letting people sign off from the churches list of believers and they just changed their mind about letting people leave?

No problem at all with kids being taught about different religions, I do have a problem with them being told there is only one and this is the right one or you'll go to hell or whatever though.

To think once they have you they never let you go is a bit daft. You are not chained to some railing, your mind and body are free do whatever you want. I think you will find all religions will tel you theirs is the one true faith, as far as I am concerned all religions believe in the one God, just split into different variations over the centuries.

Ranting again are we?

Progress at last from a deeply religious poster. Finally you can see that people can not be indoctrinated by the Church, they should be allowed to make up their own minds whether to be Catholic or not. Take a leaf out of that Potter.

Of course you're ranting again, you have been since post one. Are you Draco Malfoy in disguise? You hate me so much you must be. Be honest Gonzo.

Of course you're ranting again, you have been since post one. Are you Draco Malfoy in disguise? You hate me so much you must be. Be honest Gonzo.

No, i'm debating. You've been ranting since you got high on movie like Harry Potterism last night.

I do not hate you, I love you as a human being just like any Christian worth their salt would. At least I care that you wake up in the morning unlike Seaneh. Do you hate me?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

as far as I am concerned all religions believe in the one God, just split into different variations over the centuries.
    What about Pagans?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

No, i'm debating. You've been ranting since you got high on movie like Harry Potterism last night.

I do not hate you, I love you as a human being just like any Christian worth their salt would. At least I care that you wake up in the morning unlike Seaneh. Do you hate me?:confused:

1st of all, I don't hate you. In fact, I pity you. Show me anywhere where I said I hate you?

2nd of all. You keep harping on about the people pointing out your idiocy in this thread being "staunch Catholics".

As far as I can see there are about 2 catholics who have posted in this thread at all. The people ripping your rants to shreds have been agnostic, atheist and other forms of Christianity.

In fact, if you asked many of the Catholic posters on the Christianity forum if I was "staunchly catholic" they would probably laugh at you, seeing as I have, many time, aired my differences with catholic theology and doctrine.

Keep reaching for stuff that isn't there gonzo, you're ability to make yourself look ignorant knows no bounds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement