Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

You have a point about the catholic religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

gurramok wrote: »

I've enlightened you to the religious discrimination that happens in our country.
    You've enlightened the world to your ignorance and idiocy is all. You seriously think of yourself as being some sort of visionary. All you are is someone trying to communicate illogical points using almost no knowledge and broken English. This entire thread is evidence of that.

Who?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatric_hospital
    Somewhere fitting that description.
    Is this an attempt at a sense of humour? :eek:
    Your entire set of posts had better be some crude form of humour. I won't say any more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

gurramok: Can we go back to the main point of your post please? Now that we have understood that asking a patient what their religion was is common practice internationally, what exactly is the issue?

This was the main point that you posted before you brought up other issues all foreign to the main point of the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

You've enlightened the world to your ignorance and idiocy is all. You seriously think of yourself as being some sort of visionary. All you are is someone trying to communicate illogical points using almost no knowledge and broken English. This entire thread is evidence of that.

I've posted very intelligent posts in great English with backup unlike the very passionate religious posters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychiatric_hospital
    Somewhere fitting that description.

Nope, they'll admit you without discriminating based on religion.
    Your entire set of posts had better be some crude form of humour. I won't say any more than that.

What you mean 'better be', is that a threat?:eek:

Jakkass wrote: »
    gurramok: Can we go back to the main point of your post please? Now that we have understood that asking a patient what their religion was is common practice internationally, what exactly is the issue?

This was the main point that you posted before you brought up other issues all foreign to the main point of the original post.

Then why you say this. You have been following this thread and you come out with this absurd statement.
    "Unfortunately we're at the stage where we have to attach labels to prove to gurramok that we're not covert Catholics"

I've been defending the legitimacy of questioning the Catholic running of schools and hospitals and all i have received from other posters is abuse & insults. They are not insulting for the goodness of their hearts, they are insulting because how dare someone like me question Catholic running of said institutions.

• Advertisement

Jakkass, I know you mean well and I know you are an excellent debater but wasting your time with this individual would be a waste of the degree you've earned. There is no real issue of sorts, he made an issue from nothing and used it to start off a furious tirade against the Catholic church. He's so blinded by hate and (unfortunately) ignorance that he cannot be reasoned with. He refuses to accept other people's points and refuses to accept that what he says may not be entirely accurate. There is nothing inherently wrong with ignorance. There IS something wrong however with blindly refusing to correct your ignorance. What's worse is his tendency to call all that argue with him as being Catholics. I can say no more.

Feel free to try and reason with him but I can almost guarantee you that you'll achieve nothing.

I've posted very intelligent posts in great English with backup unlike the very passionate religious posters.
    No you haven't. Stop lying and stop deluding yourself.

Nope, they'll admit you without discriminating based on religion.
    I believe the correct pronoun in that sentence would be "me". I trust you know what a pronoun is thou Master of English?

What you mean 'better be', is that a threat?:eek:
    Learn how to read before making stupid posts like that.

No you haven't. Stop lying and stop deluding yourself.

I believe the correct pronoun in that sentence would be "me". I trust you know what a pronoun is thou Master of English?

Learn how to read before making stupid posts like that.

Where are your competent posts defending the control by the Catholic Church of schools and hospitals then? All I've seen is ignorant posts without a shred of backup, not valid points.

Then why you say this. You have been following this thread and you come out with this absurd statement.
    "Unfortunately we're at the stage where we have to attach labels to prove to gurramok that we're not covert Catholics"

I said this, because I and others were becoming increasingly frustrated by your ignoring of people telling you clearly that they didn't subscribe to Catholicism even if they were atheists or of other Christian denominations. You must understand how frustrating that was to read?
    I've been defending the legitimacy of questioning the Catholic running of schools and hospitals and all i have received from other posters is abuse & insults. They are not insulting for the goodness of their hearts, they are insulting because how dare someone like me question Catholic running of said institutions.

This is why I am trying to bring the thread back to its rightful beginnings. If I may quote your original post.
    Yes, I was visiting a clinic at the Mater Hospital and upon regging ya wan behind the counter went through my details and landed me with this bomb of 'what religion I am'.

I just went 'wtf' in my head and after an awkward slience said 'err no religion'. Then she just wobbled her head and promptly kept typing into her pc.

Now, what frigging relevance is my religion in order to get treatment in a hospital?:mad:

Thought Ireland was in the 21st century and why would a hospital care about my religious beliefs?:confused:

This wasn't about the patronage of Catholic schools or hospitals, it was the fact that you were offended by being asked a question that is asked in hospitals all around the world. You would be asked this question in a multi-denominational hospital.

Personally, I agree with your position that hospitals are probably better as institutions which are multidenominational provided that there are sufficient faith services to deal with patients.

You've sidetracked your own thread from its original argument. Your argument was that you were offended at being asked what religion you were. It wasn't about the role of Catholicism in hospitals or in schools. I'm asking you to address the original post in this thread.

Given the knowledge that you have gained that the patients religion is requested generally on an international level, does this make you think that your complaint is wholly misguided or not?

Where are your competent posts defending the control by the Catholic Church of schools and hospitals then? All I've seen is ignorant posts without a shred of backup, not valid points.
    Sorry but considering the fact you couldn't read them the first time I have no intention of quoting them to you.

You don't even know what your own thread is about, do you?

You said it was to do with a question "auto assuming you to be religious" not a tirade against the "control of the Catholic Church of schools and hospitals".

I have never in my life met anyone quite like you. So cocky yet so undeniably idiotic.

Just give this thread a rest. You've made enough of a show of yourself.

• Advertisement

I said this, because I and others were becoming increasingly frustrated by your ignoring of people telling you clearly that they didn't subscribe to Catholicism even if they were atheists or of other Christian denominations. You must understand how frustrating that was to read?

They are clearly lying Jakkass. How on earth does one defend the Catholic Church tooth and nail unless one was an adherrent of said church? Now, think about that.

This wasn't about the patronage of Catholic schools or hospitals, it was the fact that you were offended by being asked a question that is asked in hospitals all around the world. You would be asked this question in a multi-denominational hospital.

Personally, I agree with your position that hospitals are probably better as institutions which are multidenominational provided that there are sufficient faith services to deal with patients.

You've sidetracked your own thread from its original argument. Your argument was that you were offended at being asked what religion you were. It wasn't about the role of Catholicism in hospitals or in schools. I'm asking you to address the original post in this thread.

Given the knowledge that you have gained that the patients religion is requested generally on an international level, does this make you think that your complaint is wholly misguided or not?

No, its opened my eyes and the eyes of many others at what control the Catholic Church still has over our lives. The passionate defending here of that control by the church has shown us how intolerance still exists in our society.

They are clearly lying Jakkass. How on earth does one defend the Catholic Church tooth and nail unless one was an adherrent of said church? Now, think about that.
    Are you calling me a liar?

the church has shown us how intolerance still exists in our society.
    A mirror would have shown you as much.

S
    You said it was to do with a question "auto assuming you to be religious" not a tirade against the "control of the Catholic Church of schools and hospitals".

I have never in my life met anyone quite like you. So cocky yet so undeniably idiotic.

Just give this thread a rest. You've made enough of a show of yourself.

Read the posts. Its very surprising you have not seen the light yet.

Are you calling me a liar?

You did it yourself.

A mirror would have shown you as much.

You see this Jakkass? Question intolerance of the Catholic Church and you get this reply.

Read the posts. Its very surprising you have not seen the light yet.
    Seen what light? What the f*ck are you talking about?

You did it yourself.
    I called myself a liar? What? I haven't even defended the Catholic church once throughout this thread. You're beyond crazy.

You see this Jakkass? Question intolerance of the Catholic Church and you get this reply.
    Sorry for telling you the truth.

Personally, I would defend the freedom of religion of Catholicism to a degree. I would argue that Catholicism is free to operate within the State, but that it must not become the State as it has done so in the past. Likewise I'd argue that other religions can operate in Ireland freely. We have an education system that is largely run by churches. Indeed hospitals are run by churches. I think eventually we will need to make these more multidenominational. Personally, however I think I benefited from being educated in Church of Ireland schools. I didn't understand their benefit until I was nearly finished in secondary school. I lived as one of the 14% and I don't find much objectionable about the society I lived in growing up.
    No, its opened my eyes and the eyes of many others at what control the Catholic Church still has over our lives. The passionate defending here of that control by the church has shown us how intolerance still exists in our society.

Personally, I don't find this all that frustrating, because as I see it it doesn't have control over my life, and it never did. I can choose to live separately from it. I have a big interest in Catholicism from an outside vantage point. I like to learn more about it.

Seen what light? What the f*ck are you talking about?

The light of escaping from religious control. The will to think on your own. Embrace freedom to be an open minded person. Go ahead and see the light.
    I called myself a liar? What? I haven't even defended the Catholic church once throughout this thread. You're beyond crazy.

Now that is funny. You have ardently supported the Catholic church at the daring of me to question their role in our hospitals and schools.
    Sorry for telling you the truth.

Can you offer anything thats better than this?:rolleyes:

Personally, I would defend the freedom of religion of Catholicism to a degree. I would argue that Catholicism is free to operate within the State, but that it must not become the State as it has done so in the past. Likewise I'd argue that other religions can operate in Ireland freely. We have an education system that is largely run by churches. Indeed hospitals are run by churches. I think eventually we will need to make these more multidenominational. Personally, however I think I benefited from being educated in Church of Ireland schools. I didn't understand their benefit until I was nearly finished in secondary school. I lived as one of the 14% and I don't find much objectionable about the society I lived in growing up.

Its a matter of control. Thats what i'm protesting about. I've supported the right for one to express religion or no religion. I'd support multidenominational control, this is lost on the many passionate posters who staunchly defend the status quo. And its that defending which one concludes that they are indeed Catholics.
    Personally, I don't find this all that frustrating, because as I see it it doesn't have control over my life, and it never did. I can choose to live separately from it. I have a big interest in Catholicism from an outside vantage point. I like to learn more about it.

Well, there are plenty of posters in this thread who can help you learn more about Catholicism, its a pity they show a bad side to it in their views.(which included cursing ;))

Before I reply, I have to say one little thing.

When you cannot reply, do not make some random rebuttal. Doing so only makes you look stupid.
    The light of escaping from religious control. The will to think on your own. Embrace freedom to be an open minded person. Go ahead and see the light.
    I don't want "enlightenment" from people who can hardly form a sentence or a point. You're not one to preach about open mindedness either. You're boards' most condescending idiot.

Now that is funny. You have ardently supported the Catholic church at the daring of me to question their role in our hospitals and schools.
    Your idiocy used to make me laugh. Now i'm just pissed off.
    I have not anywhere in this thread defended the Catholic church. I am not a Catholic and have not set foot in a Catholic church since primary school times where I went out of pure curiousity. If you can't understand that then you are beyond a doubt mentally subnormal.

Can you offer anything thats better than this?:rolleyes:
    Better than the truth?

Before I reply, I have to say one little thing.

When you cannot reply, do not make some random rebuttal. Doing so only makes you look stupid.

I don't want "enlightenment" from people who can hardly form a sentence or a point. You're not one to preach about open mindedness either. You're boards' most condescending idiot.

Huh? You asked about light and I had showed you the light. I showed you what open mindedness is. What's the problem?
    Your idiocy used to make me laugh. Now i'm just pissed off.
    I have not anywhere in this thread defended the Catholic church. I am not a Catholic and have not set foot in a Catholic church since primary school times where I went out of pure curiousity. If you can't understand that then you are beyond a doubt mentally subnormal.

What idiocy?

Then why defending them to the hilt? And its a very passionate defence as well.
    Better than the truth?

What truth, I taught you the truth. Wait, its not going to be that idiot word again? :rolleyes:

Huh? You asked about light and I had showed you the light. I showed you what open mindedness is. What's the problem?
    STOP LYING

Seriously, I am sick of you and your bullsh1t. Who the f*ck do you think you are? Some kind of visionary bringing enlightenment to the world? You've shown me how stupid bigoted people behave. That is all, whether you're capable of realising it or not.
    What idiocy?
    Every single post you've made on this thread.
    Then why defending them to the hilt?
    I have not defended the Catholic Church once throughout this thread. You're making things up as per usual.
    And its a very passionate defence as well.
    You're unbelievable. I'm being entirely honest when I say you need to check yourself in to a psychiatric clinic.

What truth, I taught you the truth. Wait, its not going to be that idiot word again? :rolleyes:
    You have taught no one anything. I rarely if ever call people genuinely idiotic but you are a special case. I have never ever in my life seen anyone as mind-blowingly idiotic as you.

• Advertisement

STOP LYING

Seriously, I am sick of you and your bullsh1t. Who the f*ck do you think you are? Some kind of visionary bringing enlightenment to the world? You've shown me how stupid bigoted people behave. That is all, whether you're capable of realising it or not.

I ain't BS'ing. Whats wrong with having an open mind on things? It helps people developing independent thinking.

I have not defended the Catholic Church once throughout this thread. You're making things up as per usual.

Is this the enlightenment? You agree now that the Catholic Church should relinquish control from our hospitals and schools.
    You're unbelievable. I'm being entirely honest when I say you need to check yourself in to a psychiatric clinic.

Will they ask me if I have a religion first?
    You have taught no one anything. I rarely if ever call people genuinely idiotic but you are a special case. I have never ever in my life seen anyone as mind-blowingly idiotic as you.

I have educated you the way from the dark side to the good side.

I ain't BS'ing. Whats wrong with having an open mind on things? It helps people developing independent thinking.

Is this the enlightenment? You agree now that the Catholic Church should relinquish control from our hospitals and schools.

Will they ask me if I have a religion first?

I have educated you the way from the dark side to the good side.
    Right that's it. I've had enough. I'm off to go get some sleep. If I can manage it i'll get someone with a background in psychiatry to read through your posts tomorrow. There is something definitely wrong with you, so much so that you genuinely need professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

hint: Loyalty 2nd hint: Use the search function, i'm not your slave just because you think you are superior than me just because you are religious ;):D

Im not religous actually....

But if you did quote the code of ethics, you could so easily quote it again....... no....? didnt think so...

Right that's it. I've had enough. I'm off to go get some sleep. If I can manage it i'll get someone with a background in psychiatry to read through your posts tomorrow. There is something definitely wrong with you, so much so that you genuinely need professional help.

Convenient timing when you didn't say a yes or no to
    "You agree now that the Catholic Church should relinquish control from our hospitals and schools. "

Sleep well, I wish you wake up peacefully in the morning unlike Seaneh who didn't care if I did not wake up at all.

Convenient timing when you didn't say a yes or no to
    "You agree now that the Catholic Church should relinquish control from our hospitals and schools. "

Sleep well, I wish you wake up peacefully in the morning unlike Seaneh who didn't care if I did not wake up at all.

I amn't so much pissed off anymore as I am sincerely worried for you. There is some deep underlying psychological issue within you and that's not an insult more so it is a crude diagnosis. Your odd posts and inconsequential replies lend credence to that.

As an aside, please remove all of my posts from your sig. I don't think you realise what having them there implies.

Good night...

drkpower wrote: »
    Im not religous actually....

Oh thats right, you're the doctor that worships Santa instead as you can't stop saying hohohoho in your posts? :D
    drkpower wrote: »
    But if you did quote the code of ethics, you could so easily quote it again....... no....? didnt think so...

Use the search function. Last time you had said you had a copy of such guidelines on your desk, did it fall off your desk due to alot of hot air BS circulating?:D
    I amn't so much pissed off anymore as I am sincerely worried for you. There is some deep underlying psychological issue within you and that's not an insult more so it is a crude diagnosis. Your odd posts and inconsequential replies lend credence to that.

Have you been drinking? :P :D
    As an aside, please remove all of my posts from your sig. I don't think you realise what having them there implies.

What's wrong exposing me as a 'psycho'? :confused: I might get help if its publicised, a nice psychiatric nurse might give me a massage. Thats a good thing right?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Use the search function. Last time you had said you had a copy of such guidelines on your desk, did it fall off your desk due to alot of hot air BS circulating?

I did; couldnt find it.

Now stop hiding and lying. Its very dishonest. And entirely transparent. Even give me the full title of the doctor's code......... no.....didnt think so..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

It pains me to post again in this drivel that passes for a thread, but on the point of religion in hospitals when I was in hospital at 9 back in the days when it would be said Catholicism still had a tight grip on this country ( 1979 ) the clergyman who visited the Childrens Ward every day was the local Church of Ireland clergyman. he was a wonderfully kind man who always brought a smile and, more importantly, second hand comics he had persuaded people to give him. He visited every day and always brought a smile to everyones faces. My deeply catholic mother had absolutely no problem with this. As an adult when I heard of his death I felt sad because he had spent so much time helping Children who were in hospital and away from their parents. Such a damnable pervasive Catholic influence in hospitals wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Yes - the last 10 years of my life have been an elaborate ruse in order to one day infiltrate a thread on boards and claim to be an atheist. Why don't you go and have a look at other areas on boards where I have made my feelings on the RCC perfectly clear. Just because I think you are exaggerating the problem and ranting in an incomprehensible and insulting way DOES NOT MEAN I AM A CATHOLIC. Infact, as I have stated, I have officially left the catholic church and don't believe in god/s at all.
    While I am all for seperation of the church and state, the point of your thread is that you are insulted because you were asked your religion. As has been pointed out to you in several responses, this is standard practice in all hospitals, globally and is in order that patients are treated according to the tenets of their religion. Now please stop slamming people simply for thinking you are wrong. And please, no more rolling eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

Huh? You asked about light and I had showed you the light.

ah, the church of gurramok! How many crisp packets do I have to collect to join?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement