Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was asked for my religion today..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Seaneh wrote: »
    So they did ask you your name, address, phone number, pps number, next of kin, whether you had a medical card or private insurence?

Because that is EXACTLY WHAT THE **** I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

Stop contradicting yourself. Trust me, I KNOW MORE ABOUT HOW HOSPITALS WORK THAN YOU!

They had all my details except my religion hence the thread. Have you not followed the debate since the start?:confused:

How do you know much about hospitals, do you work for one of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

gurramok wrote: »
    Eh hold on here. Where is the legal requirement for a hospital to ask my religious belief on a registration? Its not a requirement for any other public service?:confused:

No one's saying it's a legal requirement, just that they're within their rights to ask, and you in turn are within your rights to say that you would prefer not to disclose. Seriously, what is the problem.
    Yes, some people with terminal conditions require their religious beliefs in a hospital environment. Thats their wish, I wish my beliefs were respected equally.

How can they respect your beliefs if you don't want them asking what they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Hey, you didn't curse me did you?;P :D

Thing is, why should I declare my beliefs now as a non-believer and when I return to hospital in 40 yrs time I could be a Buddhist? The hospital that have me on record would be totally negligent in my beliefs despite the fact they had no right to ask my religious beliefs in the first place!

I said 'fcuk all' not 'fcuk off', so no i wasn't cursing at you! :p

You can't have it both ways! Send them a postcard with your new god on it if you do ever change,and tell them to put it in your records, then you'll have no worries will ya!

No one's saying it's a legal requirement, just that they're within their rights to ask, and you in turn are within your rights to say that you would prefer not to disclose. Seriously, what is the problem.

How can they respect your beliefs if you don't want them asking what they are?

Why assume i'm a Catholic as the other poster says its a Catholic run hospital?

Hospitals should not be run by the religious, agree?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Eh hold on here. Where is the legal requirement for a hospital to ask my religious belief on a registration? Its not a requirement for any other public service?:confused:

"The incidence of Crohn's disease has been ascertained from population studies in Norway and the United States and is similar at 6 to 7.1:100,000. Crohn's disease is more common in northern countries, and shows a higher preponderance in northern areas of the same country. The incidence of Crohn's disease is thought to be similar in Europe but lower in Asia and Africa. It also has a higher incidence in Ashkenazi Jews"

Ashkenazi Jews are also disposed to

Bloom Syndrome
    Canavan Disease
    Factor XI Deficiency
    Familial Dysautonomia (Riley-Day syndrome)
    Fanconi Anemia
    Gaucher Disease
    Mucolipidosis IV
    Niemann-Pick Disease
    Non-Classical Adrenal Hyperplasia
    Nonsyndromic Hearing Loss
    Tay-Sachs Disease
    Torsion Dystonia

Because of reasons like this. To provide the best care they ****ing can, as has been pointed out a million times already. If they know that you carry mutated genes (like those responsible for Crohn's) they can start approach diagnosis in a much more efficient way.

Also, if you are a JW you will not want blood products used in your treatment, this is your legal right and if they know this they can act around it as best they can.

There we have it, you are indeed a staunch supporter of the Catholic Church. Why should the church run the hospitals in the first place?

I think Mussolini did a great job of making the trains run on time but at the same time I wouldn't go saying I was a supporter of him. In fact, it would be the exact opposite.

However, I can have an OBJECTIVE opinion on their works in certain areas.
    If I was dying, shouldn't a priest not care what beliefs I had?

so you are a muslim dying in a hospital with a chaplain he should have the right to give you the last rights?

I don't know many muslims who would agree with you!

• Advertisement

They had all my details except my religion hence the thread. Have you not followed the debate since the start?:confused:

How do you know much about hospitals, do you work for one of them?

you are running around in circles and you sound like a tool.

I know as much as I do about hospitals because, like I said, I have a lot of experience. Also, I have several friends who are doctors including a long term ex. I have many more friends who are nurses and support staff.

I spent over a month in a ward last year and funnily enough, staff talk about their job sometimes, if you ask, because for some reason, when I am in the care of an institute I like to know how they operate.

"The incidence of Crohn's disease in Ashkenazi Jews[/b]"

Because of reasons like this. To provide the best care they ****ing can, as has been pointed out a million times already. If they know that you carry mutated genes (like those responsible for Crohn's) they can start approach diagnosis in a much more efficient way.

Also, if you are a JW you will not want blood products used in your treatment, this is your legal right and if they know this they can act around it as best they can.

I ain't a Jew. N/A

I think Mussolini did a great job of making the trains run on time but at the same time I wouldn't go saying I was a supporter of him. In fact, it would be the exact opposite.

However, I can have an OBJECTIVE opinion on their works in certain areas.

so you are a muslim dying in a hospital with a chaplain he should have the right to give you the last rights?

I don't know many muslims who would agree with you!

What the heck has Mussolini go to do with hospitals?

A man of any religion should do an honour of bestowing the last rites on a non-believer if the religious men are real believers?
    alwaysadub wrote: »
    I said 'fcuk all' not 'fcuk off', so no i wasn't cursing at you! :p

You can't have it both ways! Send them a postcard with your new god on it if you do ever change,and tell them to put it in your records, then you'll have no worries will ya!

I'm going to bed, will you wish me to wake up in the morning? ;)

Yes. Hopefully this thread will have been locked by then though so everyone won't keep going round and round in circles! :pac:

you are running around in circles and you sound like a tool.

I know as much as I do about hospitals because, like I said, I have a lot of experience. Also, I have several friends who are doctors including a long term ex. I have many more friends who are nurses and support staff.

I spent over a month in a ward last year and funnily enough, staff talk about their job sometimes, if you ask, because for some reason, when I am in the care of an institute I like to know how they operate.

Just because you are losing the debate, there is no need to call me a tool. Its unreal the personal abuse that comes across from opposers of others who hold other beliefs :eek:

Have they ever discussed religion? (assuming you are telling the truth)

I ain't a Jew. N/A

And they cannot know that unless they ask.

Check mate.

/thread, now, shut the **** up.

What the heck has Mussolini go to do with hospitals?

If you can't see the point of what I said I worry about you.
    Seriously, do an AQ test.
    A man of any religion should do an honour of bestowing the last rites on a non-believer if the religious men are real believers?

Well, here's the thing. If you aren't a Christian, a priest would see it as piontless as giving you the last rights as they don't apply to you. simple reality of it. Also, you are being a total hypocrite here.
    I'm going to bed, will you wish me to wake up in the morning? ;)

I don't care either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

your questions have been answered.
    Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Just because you are losing the debate, there is no need to call me a tool. Its unreal the personal abuse that comes across from opposers of others who hold other beliefs :eek:

There is no debate, there is several people pointing out your idiocy.

Also, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR BELIEFS.
    Your lack of faith in a deity has NOTHING to do with peoples replies to your inane, nonsensical, retarded "rebuttals" and hypocritical ramblings.
    We are just pointing out the blatantly ****ing obvious.

Have they ever discussed religion? (assuming you are telling the truth)
    The staff in the hospital? I few would ask me about the bible on my locker or when they saw me reading it. They would ask me about prayer and what I believe. Some of them were atheist, some were christians, a few muslims, a few hindu, one of my doctors happened to be a member of the same denomination as myself and we would chat quite a bit, he prayed with me a few times and even asked for advice about something once. We still keep in touch.
    (assuming you are telling the truth)
    Why would I lie? If you ask I will tell you exactly why I was in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Why assume i'm a Catholic as the other poster says its a Catholic run hospital?

Hospitals should not be run by the religious, agree?

In an ideal world hospitals would not be run by religions. But I think that's irrelevant to the question of whether religious comfort should be offered to patients who so wish it. The comfort on offer would likely only be available from Catholic priests even if the hospital was not Catholic run because the vast majority of Irish people who are religious are Catholic.
    In order to help identify the people who will want visits from the chaplain the hospital asks people what their religion is. What is the problem?

And they cannot know that unless they ask.

Check mate.

/thread, now, shut the **** up.

If you can't see the point of what I said I worry about you.
    Seriously, do an AQ test.

Well, here's the thing. If you aren't a Christian, a priest would see it as piontless as giving you the last rights as they don't apply to you. simple reality of it. Also, you are being a total hypocrite here.

I don't care either way.

Can you stop the abuse? It makes your argument so weak post upon post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

seriously you have been answered multiple times Gurramok, what is your malfunction?

Ssshh-maybe if we all stay really quiet,he'll go off to bed..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you won't change his mind no matter what you say, he has a totally unshakable (almost) religious determination that he's right and everyone else is wrong. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

"The incidence of Crohn's disease has been ascertained from population studies in Norway and the United States and is similar at 6 to 7.1:100,000. Crohn's disease is more common in northern countries, and shows a higher preponderance in northern areas of the same country. The incidence of Crohn's disease is thought to be similar in Europe but lower in Asia and Africa. It also has a higher incidence in Ashkenazi Jews"

Ashkenazi Jews are also disposed to

Bloom Syndrome
    Canavan Disease
    Factor XI Deficiency
    Familial Dysautonomia (Riley-Day syndrome)
    Fanconi Anemia
    Gaucher Disease
    Mucolipidosis IV
    Niemann-Pick Disease
    Non-Classical Adrenal Hyperplasia
    Nonsyndromic Hearing Loss
    Tay-Sachs Disease
    Torsion Dystonia

The receptionist has no reason to be asking medical questions which is what you are suggesting is the reason behind asking for religion. If religion has any part to play in the persons medical care then that should be asked by the medical staff, not the secretary, and medical information shouldn't be on the part of the systems that they have access to.

If a Jehovas Witness needs a blood transfusion then if they are in a fit state to answer then they can say no, I believe there are other alternatives they will take. If they are not in a fit state to answer then they will be given the treatment that the doctor determines they need. Only reason for needing to know if they are JW is so that they can get the lawyers warmed up ready to get the case thrown out when someone complains.

As for the specific set of Jews that you mention, that is relevant to the persons medical history. But there is no reason for the receptionist to be asking that question and getting the wrong or vague answer because they don't understand the reason. That is a question for the doctor to be asking and if there is any hereditary medical conditions in your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Don't see the problem with the question.

If you answer "athiest" I'd assume they will put you in the "I'm easily duped" section of the ward.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

Yes, some people with terminal conditions require their religious beliefs in a hospital environment. Thats their wish, I wish my beliefs were respected equally.

Didn't read all the thread in full but how the hell can they respect your beliefs if they don't ask what they are in the first place.

• Advertisement

demag wrote: »
    Didn't read all the thread in full but how the hell can they respect your beliefs if they don't ask what they are in the first place.

They ask 'what religion you are?' instead of asking 'do you have a religion?' in the first place. Automatic assumption that I have a religion from the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Don't see the problem with the question.

If you answer "athiest" I'd assume they will put you in the "I'm easily duped" section of the ward.

But what about if you answer "atheist"? Do you go into the same "I'm easily duped" ward for the people that can't spell? This whole business of segregating people that can't spell seems very arbitrary to me in the first place to be honest. Is it common practice in other countries or is it just an Irish thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

They ask 'what religion you are?' instead of asking 'do you have a religion?' in the first place. Automatic assumption that I have a religion from the former.
    There are more people on a global scale who are religious than those who are not. They cater for everyone but with preference to the majority. But be that as it may... don't all you atheists always go on about how 'open-minded' and 'free' you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

There are more people on a global scale who are religious than those who are not. They cater for everyone but with preference to the majority. But be that as it may... don't all you atheists always go on about how 'open-minded' and 'free' you are?

You usually find atheists spend more time talking about religion than religious people. Strange that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

You should have just told her you were hurt and shocked at the way she put the question to you, that you were feeling a little precious at the time.

Me, I'm horrified..lol...

gurramok, I had a great time reading through this thread lastnight, particularly the dentist bits, very funny! Can't believe it went on till all hours in the morning, and still going...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

lmaopml wrote: »
    You should have just told her you were hurt and shocked at the way she put the question to you, that you were feeling a little precious at the time.

Me, I'm horrified..lol...

gurramok, I had a great time reading through this thread lastnight, particularly the dentist bits, very funny! Can't believe it went on till all hours in the morning, and still going...:pac:

The great thing is ya just know when hes on his death bed he will be crying out for a priest to visit him :D

So its a numbers game then? Thats not respectful :mad:

Respect the minorities! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

You had said Ireland is a Catholic country, thats a coldhouse to anyone that is not Catholic. How on earth can anyone in your scenario feel comfy practicising a religion or no religion at all?!:confused:

No need for abuse, I ain't a wall, i'm a person who does not agree with your religious beliefs thank you.
    You know that we have the same beliefs. Although, I'm embarrassed about it now. The only thing i'm uncomfortable with is that we have something in common

C'mon, you know you're just trolling. Circles....

http://bit.ly/b0vMwF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Healium wrote: »
    You know that we have the same beliefs. Although, I'm embarrassed about it now. The only thing i'm uncomfortable with is that we have something in common

C'mon, you know you're just trolling. Circles....

http://bit.ly/b0vMwF
    don't worry, he's not an atheist, he's an unorthodox argumentist. ;)

liking the tags at the bottom. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

vibe666 wrote: »
    don't worry, he's not an atheist, he's an unorthodox argumentist. ;)

lol

If I had a corner shop and he came in to buy a bag of taytos I'd ask him his religion before selling it to him. Just so anyone else in the shop could get some free entertainment out of him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement