Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know People in Mullingar

• 29-10-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

First time to start a thread so be gentle. Been living in Mullingar for a few years at this stage but not really settled in. Havnt been around at weekends much, for different reasons, so it has kind of been a place to stay for five nights/four days. Been hard to get to know people then outside of work.

Any body got any ideas of clubs etc that one could join to help break into the town and meet people round my own age i suppose [that would be late 20s].

Should explain that people ive shared with were sound but most were attached or like me not round all the time. Others are gone way west or south at this stage. Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

crascred wrote: »
    First time to start a thread so be gentle. Been living in Mullingar for a few years at this stage but not really settled in. Havnt been around at weekends much, for different reasons, so it has kind of been a place to stay for five nights/four days. Been hard to get to know people then outside of work.

Any body got any ideas of clubs etc that one could join to help break into the town and meet people round my own age i suppose [that would be late 20s].

Should explain that people ive shared with were sound but most were attached or like me not round all the time. Others are gone way west or south at this stage. Cheers

Just give a bit more info about yourself and people will be able to suggest things to you.

There's loads of sports clubs around. If you're not into GAA, soccer or rugby, you can always try one of the other ones like tennis, squash etc. Or you could try a completely new sport like kayaking, or scuba diving. There are clubs for both of those things.

If sport isn't your thing, maybe you could try doing some kind of course in the evenings. As far as I remember, there are language courses ran out of the community college in the evenings.

Em.. thats all I can think about for now really.. might be able to come up with something better if you give a bit more info about yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thedownsgaa

We would be delighted to welcome you to The Downs GAA Club.
    Not just football, we have exercise clubs (male and female) Scor, Community Games etc.

If none of these are to your fancy, as already suggested let us know what you like and we can point you in the right direction - Mullingar does have a lot to offer !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 crascred

Thanks for the replies. Was away from the internet there for a while. General interests i suppose. As for football yeah i follow it but gave up playing when i was 16 when i realised that the view from the terrace was as good as the subs bench. Where migh i be able to get info on the exercise classes.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

I've been living in Mullingar for 9 years, and in that time I've only made 1 friend and maybe a handfull of aquaintences.

I know some it is my own fault, I'm not extremely outgoing, but I'm friendly and I have tried. I joined a few clubs and did a few courses, I found that there is mostly groups of friends that join this type of thing, very few people actually go on their own. I did have young kids when I first moved here and it can be hard to get out and about, I thought that I would eventually meet other parents around the school gates so to speak, but no joy.

Mostly, I find Mullingar people to be extremely clannish and not willing to accept new people. Thedownsgaa, you are an exception :)

Preparing for the backlash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beller81

JenniWenni I couldn't agree with you more! In fact I found it easier to make friends when I lived in Dublin. I just found Dublin people to be more open and friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

jenniwenni wrote: »
    I've been living in Mullingar for 9 years, and in that time I've only made 1 friend and maybe a handfull of aquaintences.

I know some it is my own fault, I'm not extremely outgoing, but I'm friendly and I have tried. I joined a few clubs and did a few courses, I found that there is mostly groups of friends that join this type of thing, very few people actually go on their own. I did have young kids when I first moved here and it can be hard to get out and about, I thought that I would eventually meet other parents around the school gates so to speak, but no joy.

Mostly, I find Mullingar people to be extremely clannish and not willing to accept new people. Thedownsgaa, you are an exception :)

sorry if its a wee bit late, but a hugh cead mile failte to mullingar

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Thankyou kindly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can try meetup.com and search for meeting groups in Mullingar.
    If you are interested in books for instance, the Midlands book club meets once a month in the Park Hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 monart

Hi. I'm finding same in Mullingar here just over a year. I've tried 2 clubs nice people but found were from older age group. I'm in early thirties, married, no kids. I'm interested in lots of things, walking, cooking, cinema, coffees/pints, sporty but not mad into any particular one. I'd be interested in a social club or meetup. Unfortunately I'm not into reading books so would of had to cheat on the group discussions. I'd be interested in if you found a good social club to join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

monart wrote: »
    Hi. I'm finding same in Mullingar here just over a year. I've tried 2 clubs nice people but found were from older age group. I'm in early thirties, married, no kids. I'm interested in lots of things, walking, cooking, cinema, coffees/pints, sporty but not mad into any particular one. I'd be interested in a social club or meetup. Unfortunately I'm not into reading books so would of had to cheat on the group discussions. I'd be interested in if you found a good social club to join.

Hi how are things. I am in the same boat. I am living here for the last 5 yrs and find it hard to make friends in the town. My job invovles unsociable hours and I'm off when most people are working. I am in my early 30's and would like to meet people in the town. I know a few people that live here that I work with. PM me if you are interested in meeting up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 wetminger

Wow there seems to be an abundance of you guys out there - why dont you all get together and have a few pints together? A 'www.boreds.com' (get it?!) group of acquaintances that meet and have a pint/coffee, go to cinema together etc.... once you make friends once thats you sorted. The main part is taking mobile numbers and keeping in touch afterwards... other friendly places in town are the rugby club, the golf club, the final fence club after a couple of Jaeger bombs etc... :)
    PS - Faillte to Mullingar, it isn't as cold as it first seems, people want to be friendly here but I think our accent makes us sound dour and I think most people from here are pretty shy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

wetminger wrote: »
    Wow there seems to be an abundance of you guys out there - why dont you all get together and have a few pints together? A 'www.boreds.com' (get it?!) group of acquaintances that meet and have a pint/coffee, go to cinema together etc.... once you make friends once thats you sorted. The main part is taking mobile numbers and keeping in touch afterwards... other friendly places in town are the rugby club, the golf club, the final fence club after a couple of Jaeger bombs etc... :)
    PS - Faillte to Mullingar, it isn't as cold as it first seems, people want to be friendly here but I think our accent makes us sound dour and I think most people from here are pretty shy tbh.

:confused:

The Fence is a sh1tbox,ignorant bouncers,ignorant staff and by and large an ignorant clientele.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

you could be right about mullingar.
    people are quite clannish.

as a 'blow-in' most people I know are nearly all from outside the county.
    only for I play a bit of sport I wouldn't know any locals :D

I really think you need to get involved in one or two things though to get to know people - fitness classes? triathlons? pitch and putt? the Lions club?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    you could be right about mullingar.
    people are quite clannish.

as a 'blow-in' most people I know are nearly all from outside the county.
    only for I play a bit of sport I wouldn't know any locals :D

I really think you need to get involved in one or two things though to get to know people - fitness classes? triathlons? pitch and putt? the Lions club?

I agree with you 100%. I think going to nite clubs and pubs is not a great way to make connections with people. I made that mistake the first week I was here and it was a bad move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Far be it from me to bring up this old chesnut again...

but nevertheless it really has to be said

Why on Gods earth would anyone bother trying to put down roots in Mullingar when you have Athlone so close by. Is only a 40 minute drive yet its lightyears ahead in almost every respect....and that includes friendliness of the locals.

Save yourself years of isolated misery......

You wont regret it :)

Because Athlone, as much as I like it, is in the middle of the country. Mullingar on the other hand is 35 minutes or so from Liffey Valley.

Saruman wrote: »
    Because Athlone, as much as I like it, is in the middle of the country. Mullingar on the other hand is 35 minutes or so from Liffey Valley.

There is more to life than the Liffey Valley sure there is the Athlone Town centre just as good

Liffey Valley is not the point, The point is as a reference to how close it is to Dublin.

Though one thing, Athlone town centre is just as good as liffey valley?

The Marks and Spencer in Liffey Valley alone is as big as the whole of the Athlone town centre. OK maybe a bit exaggerated but not by much.

I don't like the Athlone town centre. I think it is small, cramped and boring.

the only nice part of Athlone used to be in Roscommon
    but then they moved it to westmeath.
    in the last 20 years westmeath county council have let the west bank deteriorate with all the development happening on the east bank

both towns are very similar imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fantabulous

I was reading this thread and wondering how the OP and others are getting on? I moved to Mullingar a few months ago and dont know where to begin making friends.

Some info: I'm in my early 20's, was thinking of joining classes but as has already been posted here i'll just be tagging along with pre existing groups of friends, i'm also not around on weekends only weekday evenings which really limits me on how i'm supposed to meet people. I didnt mind a first but i'm starting to get a bit bored of me myself and I at this stage.

Any advice?

• Advertisement

I was reading this thread and wondering how the OP and others are getting on? I moved to Mullingar a few months ago and dont know where to begin making friends.

Some info: I'm in my early 20's, was thinking of joining classes but as has already been posted here i'll just be tagging along with pre existing groups of friends, i'm also not around on weekends only weekday evenings which really limits me on how i'm supposed to meet people. I didnt mind a first but i'm starting to get a bit bored of me myself and I at this stage.

Any advice?

try a fitness class?
    yoga class?

join tidy towns...
    pick a sport and join the club. you'll meet loads of people - triathalon, soccer, GAA, tag rugby, hockey, tennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

jenniwenni wrote: »

I have to agree people in the midlands seem to stick to there own. im 23 and i can see this,even my own freinds like to stick to there own. thats why im getting out.lol

The tag rugby is certainly a good way to go. I went for the first time last week and it was full of people. Actually there was a traffic light party that night as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatchLight

Hello! I'm from Mullingar and I hate to see people complain about it. I think it's a great little town with loads of opportunities to meet people outside the pubs. I am well aware that there are cliques and in-crowds in the town but don't let that put you off! I'm sure it's the same in every town in Ireland.

So, I'm going to list a few of the clubs I know of. (I hope this is ok?) Most, I imagine would be only delighted to see a few new faces! Most of these clubs probably have a facebook page aswell. Here it goes:

Mullingar Rugby Club: http://www.mullingarrfc.ie/

Tag Rugby in Mullingar RFC

Mullingar Golf Club http://www.mullingargolfclub.com/ + loads of other smaller golf clubs around Westmeath.

Lough Owel Pitch and Putt http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/lough-owel-pitch-and-putt/49600 There's a club as well but I can't find a website for it.

Mullingar Hockey Club on Facebook, they train in Loreto College as far as I know. Mens and Ladies teams. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mullingar-Hockey-Club/122775707140

Midland Triathlon Club http://www.midlandtri.com/

Mullingar Basketball, they train in Rochfortbridge school as there are no proper facilities in Mullingar. Great Club though. Mens and Ladies teams. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mullingar-Dragons-Basketball-Club/146880229903

Mullingar Camera Club http://www.mullingarcameraclub.com/

Mullingar Canoe/Kayak Club, Contact: mullingarcanoeclub@hotmail.com.

Mullingar Tennis Club www.mullingartennis.com

Mullingar Town Band http://www.mullingartownband.ie/

Mullingar Athletic Soccer Club http://www.mullingarathleticafc.ie/ Also have all-weather pitches for 5-a-side tournaments.

Mullingar Cricket Club http://mullingarcricketclub.com/

Mullingar Sailing Club, http://www.msail.net/ http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/mullingar-sailing-club/45697

Mullingar Harriers http://www.mullingarharriers.com/

Midland Angling Club http://www.midlandangling.com/

Mullingar Cycling Club www.lakesidewheelers.ie

I haven't included all the GAA Clubs because there are so many! But if anyone needs them reply to this and I'll get another list going.

CatchLight wrote: »
    Mullingar Basketball, they train in Rochfortbridge school as there are no proper facilities in Mullingar. Great Club though. Mens and Ladies teams. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mullingar-Dragons-Basketball-Club/146880229903

That's mad. Rochfortbridge is tiny compared to Mullingar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'll stick my neck out and say that Tag Rugby is easily the best social sport on the go at the moment for a broad age group 16-40+. All shapes and sizes and just as many women as men (Women's scores worth 3x the men.). BBQs and nights out are organized over the duration of the months that its on.

coillcam wrote: »
    I'll stick my neck out and say that Tag Rugby is easily the best social sport on the go at the moment for a broad age group 16-40+. All shapes and sizes and just as many women as men (Women's scores worth 3x the men.). BBQs and nights out are organized over the duration of the months that its on.

Spot on. In fact this Friday is a fancy dress/party night at the Tag Rugby/Rugby club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fantabulous

Hi again. I'm very interested in giving tag rugby a go but cant find any information about it on the site, maybe i'm not looking hard enough. Maybe some of you here can give me some information on it as a few of you go. Thanks :)

PS Are there many girls?

Oh wait i just saw that facebook link, i'll give that a look but info from you guys is still welcome!

Only problem is that this week is the end of the tag rugby season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ezeway

I live in mullingar last 6 years, and love this little town! There's just no better place like mullingar.

And, It's just my opinion :D

Advertisement