Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know People in Mullingar

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

crascred wrote: »
    First time to start a thread so be gentle. Been living in Mullingar for a few years at this stage but not really settled in. Havnt been around at weekends much, for different reasons, so it has kind of been a place to stay for five nights/four days. Been hard to get to know people then outside of work.

Any body got any ideas of clubs etc that one could join to help break into the town and meet people round my own age i suppose [that would be late 20s].

Should explain that people ive shared with were sound but most were attached or like me not round all the time. Others are gone way west or south at this stage. Cheers

Why would you want to do a thing like that for??????

crascred wrote: »
    First time to start a thread so be gentle. Been living in Mullingar for a few years at this stage but not really settled in. Havnt been around at weekends much, for different reasons, so it has kind of been a place to stay for five nights/four days. Been hard to get to know people then outside of work.

Any body got any ideas of clubs etc that one could join to help break into the town and meet people round my own age i suppose [that would be late 20s].

Should explain that people ive shared with were sound but most were attached or like me not round all the time. Others are gone way west or south at this stage. Cheers

Hi.
    Whatever you do don't walk in Mullingar on your own at night time, I had reason to be walking up Patrick street one evening and got mugged by four thugs and a broken bottle. I usually can handle myself but decided not to (odds were against me), but for the grace of God a Garda car was passing and seen what was happening much to my relief. Never never again will I set foot in that kip of a town, this happened about 6.30 ish in the evening. :mad:

jenniwenni wrote: »
    I've been living in Mullingar for 9 years, and in that time I've only made 1 friend and maybe a handfull of aquaintences.

I know some it is my own fault, I'm not extremely outgoing, but I'm friendly and I have tried. I joined a few clubs and did a few courses, I found that there is mostly groups of friends that join this type of thing, very few people actually go on their own. I did have young kids when I first moved here and it can be hard to get out and about, I thought that I would eventually meet other parents around the school gates so to speak, but no joy.

Mostly, I find Mullingar people to be extremely clannish and not willing to accept new people. Thedownsgaa, you are an exception :)

Preparing for the backlash :)

I worked in Mullingar for a while and I will have to agree with you 100%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I'm from Mullingar, but don't normally live here. However, I am home for a few weeks. Its seems most of my friends have moved on.

Does anyone want to meet up for pints/coffee/whatever? Seems there's plenty of us here who could meet up and have a bit of craic. What you all doing tomorrow(sat night)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Dontcha know, I have been living in Mullingar for seven years and have not made any real friends at all!!
    All the jobs I have had required me to work alone, so had no colleagues to make friends with, my children were at secondary school so no hanging around with parents at school gates etc

I am bored RIGID so would be up for meeting some folks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Mawkchunk

Hi, I'm from the US and have been living in Mullingar for three years now. My husband is not a GAA guy, so don't know much about it at all! What sort of excercise clubs do you have? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mawkchunk

Yes, I agree----VERY clannish. The midlands in general are like that...Some people go around with their heads down...I think people are self-conscious or something. I have noticed that other areas of the country are completely different in regards to openess and friendliness. Sorry to offend anyone...Joe Dolan seemed sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

Hi everyone!
    Just new to Boards.ie and having a look around.
    Like a lot of people on here I'm not originally from Westmeath. Am living here almost 3 yrs and its time to try and increase my social circle around here.
    So...to get some interest going in this thread again folks....
    Anyone genuinely interested in starting some kind of social/lifestyle group.
    Personally I'd love to just meet up with some like minded interesting people for a chat, over a cuppa initially, and see how it goes.
    I'm determined not to spend another winter talking about getting out n about more but not actually doing it!!
    So...any takers out there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ok, there is an...
    Athletics club
    triathlon club
    cycling club
    bridge club
    swimming club/pool

pay as you go fitness classes in...
    flex gym
    community centre on bishopsgate street
    yoga and pilates in community centre
    yoga pliates in phoenix yoga
    aqua aerobics in the public pool
    spinning classes in the two triathlon shops

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    ok, there is an...
    Athletics club
    triathlon club
    cycling club
    bridge club
    swimming club/pool

pay as you go fitness classes in...
    flex gym
    community centre on bishopsgate street
    yoga and pilates in community centre
    yoga pliates in phoenix yoga
    aqua aerobics in the public pool
    spinning classes in the two triathlon shops

Have you any info on the spinning classes, I could be interested in that.

I also thought I'd mention that Scouting Ireland are always looking for helper/leaders in the area. You can get involved as much or as little as you like, and as far as I am aware, they provide all the training needed. It is a great community thing to get involved in, and they also have regular social gatherings. You can get contact details from the scouting Ireland website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

• Registered Users Posts: 32 siobherz

I've been living here since last August and yeah while i've had trouble putting myself out there a bit i find mullingar people friendly but in groups as well :p lovely place tho. i'm thinkin of starting at that Flex Gym but wondered if that sounds like a good plan for meeting ppl? will probably freak people out if i jog over at the gym and say hi haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    cycling club
    Where is this cycling club?

I know of one out in Killucan which is a bit too far for me as I don't drive so walk everywhere.

I'd be interested in cycling, but need somewhere in town cause as I said, I walk everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Where is this cycling club?

I know of one out in Killucan which is a bit too far for me as I don't drive so walk everywhere.

I'd be interested in cycling, but need somewhere in town cause as I said, I walk everywhere.

http://www.lakesidewheelers.ie/

One of the biggest clubs in the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 whodoneit

I have been lining in mullingar for several years , used to go to pubs for a while to meet people, got fed up with it verry quickly, made to feel like an alien, do a lot of reading, does anyoone know of any social outlets other than pubs, and drinking all the time,, Jesus where do people go to meet up for social evenings, without alcohol, ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 whodoneit

hello i will meet up with you how do i get in contact with u

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,273 ✭✭✭_feedback_

whodoneit wrote: »
    I have been lining in mullingar for several years , used to go to pubs for a while to meet people, got fed up with it verry quickly, made to feel like an alien, do a lot of reading, does anyoone know of any social outlets other than pubs, and drinking all the time,, Jesus where do people go to meet up for social evenings, without alcohol, ??????
    whodoneit wrote: »
    hello i will meet up with you how do i get in contact with u

Did you reply to yourself? :D

Seriously though, if you have a look around this forum, some helpful posts recently. One on this thread in particular (link).

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

hey all, just joined up today and been reading through a lot of posts of people in the same boat. Has anyone organised anything? I live in Mullingar ( well recently moved back) originally from Dublin. I would be willing to set something up if people are still interested. Let me know
    D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Longford Lass

dchris wrote: »
    hey all, just joined up today and been reading through a lot of posts of people in the same boat. Has anyone organised anything? I live in Mullingar ( well recently moved back) originally from Dublin. I would be willing to set something up if people are still interested. Let me know
    D

Hey there.
    Nope...dont think anything has been organised.
    I'd def be on for meeting up with a few folks and making a few new friends.
    Been living here in Mullingar for the last 3 years and could count on 1 hand the amount of new contacts I've made in that space of time.
    So c'mon guys...if theres anyone seriously interested in meeting a few new people let us know!
    Mail me here Damian if you like and sure it only takes a few to get the ball rollin!
    Áine

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sas4

Hi glad to see not the only one in the same boat! I'm married in my early 30s with two kids ( 13 girl and 6 boy ) from mullingar but don't really know many I find it really hard to meet people. I'm a shy quiet person so that doesn't help I work with family as well do have one best friend and do go out at the wknds occasionally have joined excercise classes but found people went in groups.
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 quinnbag

sas4 wrote: »
    Hi glad to see not the only one in the same boat! I'm married in my early 30s with two kids ( 13 girl and 6 boy ) from mullingar but don't really know many I find it really hard to meet people. I'm a shy quiet person so that doesn't help I work with family as well do have one best friend and do go out at the wknds occasionally have joined excercise classes but found people went in groups.
    Sarah

Yeah I would be the same as you there in being a shy person. I moved to Killucan which is 5 minutes away from Mullingar and i find it hard to meet people. I know a few of my neighbours but other then that i dont know anyone else. Myself, my fiance and 3 year old daughter moved here from Dublin nearly 2 years ago. And we do be up in Mullingar a lot for shopping etc we havent been out to the pubs or nothing as we dont have a babysitter. i think its always difficult when people move to a new area. they have to be accepeted as silly as it sounds.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leonaob

HI everyone,

I just joined today after searching the internet for ways to get to know people in Mullingar again, myself and my boyfriend are moving back to Mullingar in June.
    It's been 8 years since I lived here and all my school friends have long since moved on, I was wondering has anything been organised in way of a meet up for people to get to know eachother?
    I would also be interested if anyone has information on classes that are held, not huge into sports but maybe a self defence class or art or something of that nature? My work is located close to Dublin though and I work shifts so I never have set times that I am free to do a class I would have to attend every evening or every week on set nights.
    I am mid 20's but not a huge drinker, don't get me wrong I enjoy a night out but don't want to try meet people drunk to make friends if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 buyersguide044

hi there , I have a great group for you to look at . its called the mullingar charity variety Group.they operate at forest park in mullingar .thats the clonmore estate.If you cross the joe dolan bridge from the lynn road side , you will see the sign for forest park. here is a link for you http://www.mullingarcvg.com/news.html they also do adult art classes . there is a contact number on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bored 1

Hi! I'm from Mullingar my whole life (32years) I need to find something to do not working at the minute, have tried to get volunteer work in the charity shops in town but the hoops I have to jump through aren't worth it! I'm just wondering is there any groups like book clubs coffee morning meets r anything to pass a few hours a few days a week! Would be great full for any suggestions thanks x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

Bored 1 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm from Mullingar my whole life (32years) I need to find something to do not working at the minute, have tried to get volunteer work in the charity shops in town but the hoops I have to jump through aren't worth it! I'm just wondering is there any groups like book clubs coffee morning meets r anything to pass a few hours a few days a week! Would be great full for any suggestions thanks x

fas might have a training course no harm the jobs market is changing its needs a training course could keep you at the front of the field

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sarah1977

hi all, I've been living her for some time and all those I have met are married with children so I don't have much of a social life. It would be nice to meet people in some form of social situation, there are many good suggestions above. I suppose like many people on their own the going somewhere you've never been before is kinda daunting. I keep getting told to join the GAA or a club or sorts. Are there any singles nights out there which are dating sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sarah1977

leonaob wrote: »
    HI everyone,

I just joined today after searching the internet for ways to get to know people in Mullingar again, myself and my boyfriend are moving back to Mullingar in June.
    It's been 8 years since I lived here and all my school friends have long since moved on, I was wondering has anything been organised in way of a meet up for people to get to know eachother?
    I would also be interested if anyone has information on classes that are held, not huge into sports but maybe a self defence class or art or something of that nature? My work is located close to Dublin though and I work shifts so I never have set times that I am free to do a class I would have to attend every evening or every week on set nights.
    I am mid 20's but not a huge drinker, don't get me wrong I enjoy a night out but don't want to try meet people drunk to make friends if you get me?

Hi, I get where you're coming from. I'm not big into drinking but don't mind a night out and letting my hair down. I'm not overly fond of meeting drunk people either. Have you had any success in making new friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bored 1

hi guys have been reading through all the posts about meeting new people or joining groups have any of you found anything or set anything up? i'm thinking of setting up some sort of meet up get to know new people kind of group but not sure where to start any and all suggestions would be most welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭UBERTILT

Bored 1 wrote: »
    hi guys have been reading through all the posts about meeting new people or joining groups have any of you found anything or set anything up? i'm thinking of setting up some sort of meet up get to know new people kind of group but not sure where to start any and all suggestions would be most welcome!

Go to Danny Byrnes this Friday. Wear Spandex= Insta-Hero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jenniwenni

Would anyone be interested in joining the local Scout group? Its a great way to meet new people and to get out and about.

http://www.scouts.ie/leaders/why_become_a_leader-55.html

Advertisement