Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Slim Xbox - Extremely Loud?

• 29-10-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I got fable 3 today and the noise coming out of my Halo Reach Xbox Slim is serious... I can hear it even if im playing a game... Don't think it was this loud when I was playing Halo yesterday... Does anyone know if this is a worrying issue or what? Anyone else having the same issues, maybe it's just Fable 3?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Mine was too loud when I had it on it's side, but turn it flat and it's silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Mine was too loud when I had it on it's side, but turn it flat and it's silent.

Yeah like standing up it was too loud? thats how mine was but I wasnt arsed turning it off and changing it or moving it when game was in as it may have broken the game (is that still the issue with moving the slims does it break discs?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Yeah like standing up it was too loud? thats how mine was but I wasnt arsed turning it off and changing it or moving it when game was in as it may have broken the game (is that still the issue with moving the slims does it break discs?)
    All consoles will destroy discs if th are running and u move them if it's turned off before u move it will be grand. Don't understand what the attraction is of having consoles on there sides?

All consoles will destroy discs if th are running and u move them if it's turned off before u move it will be grand. Don't understand what the attraction is of having consoles on there sides?

not the ps3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

not the ps3...

Yes it will!!

• Advertisement

bryaner wrote: »
    Yes it will!!

Not for me... Maybe if you throw it around though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If you have the Reach edition slim then you probably got the room to install the game to the HD. That cuts the sound coming from the console drastically as no spinning disc drive while gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

not the ps3...
    What fantasy cannot land are u living in lol joke btw... Ps3damages discs just as easy as the xbox trust me on that one!!! Don't understand why it's loud though as they are meant to be much quieter machine well mine is anyways

What fantasy cannot land are u living in lol joke btw... Ps3damages discs just as easy as the xbox trust me on that one!!! Don't understand why it's loud though as they are meant to be much quieter machine well mine is anyways

Maybe my ps3 is a beast :P.. Yeah its still really loud (at least at times) think it's mainly when booting up a game though.. Hopefully it does not break as it's limited edition and I would only get a normal slim if it breaks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

just load the game onto the HDD 250gigs is plenty and the console is "whisper quiet" when its like this,

had my old xbox on its side to save space and it didnt really fir around the main tv, but the new one is normal position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

take it back to the shop and get a replacement limited edition console.
    theres something wrong with your dvd drive and its eventually going to crap out if the noise is that bad because there supposed to be "whisper quiet"

take it back to the shop and get a replacement limited edition console.
    theres something wrong with your dvd drive and its eventually going to crap out if the noise is that bad because there supposed to be "whisper quiet"

Only thing is, it was the last limited edition in store... They said they can only give me a replacement normal slim if it breaks... Maybe I should ring there HQ or whatever and ask them?...

thats bull**** you paid the extra few euro for the limited edition one and if it breaks your entitled to a limited edition replacement even if they have to send away for it

thats bull**** you paid the extra few euro for the limited edition one and if it breaks your entitled to a limited edition replacement even if they have to send away for it

Maybe I will ring them tomorrow and see what they can do. There aint many of the limited edition ones left so it may be on low stock. But I don't see why they would have to give me a replacement as it aint broke yet? Would they have to replace due to it being loud?

if its as loud as you make out there is something definatly wrong with the console its up to you what you do but if it was me I'd get a replacement and make sure it was a limited edition console even if I have to go to microsoft over it but thats just what I'd do

if its as loud as you make out there is something definatly wrong with the console its up to you what you do but if it was me I'd get a replacement and make sure it was a limited edition console even if I have to go to microsoft over it but thats just what I'd do

Hmm yeah maybe I will... It's only loud when Fable 3 is being played though but sure I don't know..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

mine can be quite loud too but only with certain games , most of the time it is quiet but last night playing Fallout New Vegas it was actually disturbingly loud
    and quite distracting , but it seems to be just some games , others I have no issues at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

Maybe I will ring them tomorrow and see what they can do. There aint many of the limited edition ones left so it may be on low stock. But I don't see why they would have to give me a replacement as it aint broke yet? Would they have to replace due to it being loud?

If it was advertised as being 'whisper quiet' then you are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement. The store decides if they want to give you a replacement or repair etc but since it seems they cannot replace it and most likely cannot repair it, they should give you a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Is it installed to the hard drive? :rolleyes:

well if its only the one game the only thing i can think of is the disc,the console is having a hard time reading it beacause there might be something wrong with it.
    This makes the console spin the disc faster.
    try the disc in another console to rule it out.
    Just install it to our hdd your going to ruin the laser in your drive if it is the disc

• Advertisement

Rang them when I forgot to install game they told me to do so and it worked... The outside of the disc maybe laser scratched though or am I just looking at sometime that is in all discs? Would I be fit to get refund or whatever if it is laser scratched , I wouldn't mind I never moved the console when a game was in it due to previous experiences...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eskoflip

Quick question, I want to get one of these simply cozza the whole whispier quiet thing. Is it, at any stage as loud as the 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

eskoflip wrote: »
    Quick question, I want to get one of these simply cozza the whole whispier quiet thing. Is it, at any stage as loud as the 360?

It is the 360 still first of all. :D
    And no, apart from this case it is quiet as a mouse once the disc is installed.

As for the laser burn mentioned above, the outside areas of the discs sometimes look as though they have laser burn but it's just the design of the disc, give it a comparison against another one.

Yeah I was getting worried must be the disc, I would check but I left Halo at a mates...

Yeah I was getting worried must be the disc, I would check but I left Halo at a mates...

Basically the discs have a certain "ringed" pattern around the outer edges anyways so this may be all it is. If the disc is ringed in this area you'll have to look carefully to spot it but I'd say it's ok, just Fable 3 putting your poor XBox under pressure! :D

niallon wrote: »
    Basically the discs have a certain "ringed" pattern around the outer edges anyways so this may be all it is. If the disc is ringed in this area you'll have to look carefully to spot it but I'd say it's ok, just Fable 3 putting your poor XBox under pressure! :D

Yeah probably, trading it in this week anyways hopefully I get at least 30 for it but probably not..

Yeah probably, trading it in this week anyways hopefully I get at least 30 for it but probably not..

€30 in Smyths AFAIK, most should be giving a good few back whilst it's a new release

niallon wrote: »
    €30 in Smyths AFAIK, most should be giving a good few back whilst it's a new release

No smyths near me sadly :(.. Probably get around 30 anyways in GAME...

Advertisement