Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Ring Worm

Options
  • 29-10-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Could any of ye help me out one of my horses has bald patches on his rump and on his nose. I think its ringworm, what can i use to get rid of it???

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Are they circular in shape? If so, then it's more than likely ringworm. There are a lot of different treatments out there, from sprays to idoine (the latter of which is really good for it), but it would probably be best to contact your vet and ask them what they'd recommend as there are probably lots of new treatments out there.

On an aside, make sure that you don't swap tack, numnahs, rugs, headcollars, brushes, etc. with other horses unless you disinfect them thoroughly as ringworm is highly contagious. You, yourself, also need to avoid contracting it. It can be really sickening (so if your horse is off colour, you know why).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

Thanks convert yes they are circular. Thanks again so helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

As convert said above, and I'd like to emphasis it, as little contact as possible between the horse and other horses and the horse and yourself. I know it sounds a bit mean isolating the horse but it's for the best. Ringworm is highly contagious and will spread like wildfire. It isn't pleasant..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 siraxta

Hi

This is certainly not necessary anymore, but maybe for other people who have the problem helpful.

Wash the horse with IMAVEROL. The obvious spots every day and the whole horse every 3-4 days (to be on the safe side 3 for weeks ).

Disinfect your hands everytime you touched the horse. If you have several do evrything with him last. Keep it isolated from other horses.
    Disinfect stable, tack, brushes, food buckets, numnahs, etc.
    It's a nightmare, but if you get it yourself or the dog or all other horses it's even worse.

There is also an oral powder, but that is liver damaging, so if not absolutely necessary stick to the Imaverol washes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your horse getting ringworm - my horse had it in the autumn and it is a pain!
    With the weather being reasonably dry, I was lucky in that I could wash him every day .. He's kept in a large livery yard/riding school so was terrified of it spreading! (Luckily it didn't spread)..
    What I did was wash him with hibiscrub everyday, and used the Imaverol every 3days..
    ALL of his gear got washed with jayes fluid (even made a mild solution for my tack - didn't seem to damage leather).. Got the powerhose, scrubbing brush and jayes fluid out for his stable and horsebox..
    With some luck, it can be manageable.. If you are still unsure of if it is ringworm or not, I can email some pics of my horse's spots.. They were all over his rump and one or two on his neck..
    Hope it goes away soon enough!.
    Best of luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

rstax wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your horse getting ringworm - my horse had it in the autumn and it is a pain!
    With the weather being reasonably dry, I was lucky in that I could wash him every day .. He's kept in a large livery yard/riding school so was terrified of it spreading! (Luckily it didn't spread)..
    What I did was wash him with hibiscrub everyday, and used the Imaverol every 3days..
    ALL of his gear got washed with jayes fluid (even made a mild solution for my tack - didn't seem to damage leather).. Got the powerhose, scrubbing brush and jayes fluid out for his stable and horsebox..
    With some luck, it can be manageable.. If you are still unsure of if it is ringworm or not, I can email some pics of my horse's spots.. They were all over his rump and one or two on his neck..
    Hope it goes away soon enough!.
    Best of luck..

Thanks for the info! :)
    I used Tea Tree oil; it's successfully scabbing and also new hair growth. Delighted!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Only seeing the date now!.. Woops!.. Glad to hear it's cleared up - such a horrible thing to go through.. Am more than willing to offer advice for it.. It's something that needs to be dealed with quick!! ..

Advertisement