Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art student door scam (Douglas)

Options
  • 29-10-2010 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I got a knock on the door tonight from a girl who claimed to be an art student selling some work.

She was very attractive and very friendly.
    - I think she said she was from Romania (or maybe Israel).

I declined straight away, turned her away and wished her the very best.

Afterwards, I thought there was something a bit odd about it and did a little search on the interweb. Sure enough other boardies have posted this before and there's other references to it throughout Europe as a scam.

Boards reference
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055931274

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Had it in Ballintemple a while back too. I would always be very cautious of this, especially as they have ample time to case the house out while showing you paintings. And to keep you off guard, it always ends up being a hot girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i have had them call before, it has been a few months since i saw them last, the first one was female (yup very hot!) a few of the paintings were actually decent looking, then she said €80 each!
    then about 3 weeks later a guy called with the exact same story the g/f got the door this time and sent him away
    they mention somewhere which may be a random arts school, and both of them said they were israeli

i dont think it is a scam, its just they buy the paintings for €2 and try sell them for €80,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Before I've bought oil on canvas paintings from a Chinese seller on the net, €50 each and all but €5 went on shipping

So the people creating these are more then likely making nothing and probably are art students albeit from china

if the Israeli girl is buying these direct, depending on the thickness I'd say she's getting them dirt cheap.

When I saw the title of the thread I taught it was like that case of that young guy who worked with aston martin
    who went onto most VW and Ford forums, took payments for hand drawn renderings of their cars,
    sent out a few and tried to disappear until they tracked him down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I've heard about these alright, the prints tend to come from China.
    I wonder is there any link between these pictures and the ones that were for sale on a stand in Mahon Point a few weeks ago (perhaps there are still there but I haven't been in about 2 weeks)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yup, had a french dude call to my door as well a while back. Sent him packing strauight away. Asked him why he could not show me on my doorstep and he got sheepish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

One of my friends used to be a Hare Krishna and he told me that they used to do that all the time. Buy cheap paintings and sell them around the country, they even had wigs to cover their bald heads when they went door to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

paulosham wrote: »
    ...they even had wigs to cover their bald heads when they went door to door.

because everyone knows never to buy art from a bald door to door salesman :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

because everyone knows never to buy art from a bald door to door salesman :D

yeah, the number one rule when buying from a dtd salesman.
    if you do you'll have 7 years of bad luck and the runs for a week. Don't say you haven't been warned people. :pac:

Advertisement