Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vetting?

• 29-10-2010 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

what do you think of places that require vetting before you are allowed to give them your free time and work for nothing?

a noble effort to protect children and vulnerable or unnecessary bureaucracy?

i had one crowd i wont name, two interviews and CRB check (uk) before i'd be allowed to tidy their office a few hours a week. i'd be inclined to twist their necks

someone comes to offer their free time and they hit you with this rigorous privacy invading vetting.

is this sort of carry on getting more common now that mass hysteria about paedophiles is on the up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭thebullkf

what do you think of places that require vetting before you are allowed to give them your free time and work for nothing?

a noble effort to protect children and vulnerable or unnecessary bureaucracy?

i had one crowd i wont name, two interviews and CRB check (uk) before i'd be allowed to tidy their office a few hours a week. i'd be inclined to twist their necks

someone comes to offer their free time and they hit you with this rigorous privacy invading vetting.

is this sort of carry on getting more common now that mass hysteria about paedophiles is on the up?

tbh i think its fair, not aleways a guarantee mind but handy all the same.

if you've nothing to hide-should never be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

thebullkf wrote: »
    if you've nothing to hide-should never be an issue.

ah, the infamous nothing to hide thing. thought that had been got rid of ages ago

seems like anything is a good excuse for a poke into the inner workings of someone's life these days

ah, the infamous nothing to hide thing. thought that had been got rid of ages ago

seems like anything is a good excuse for a poke into the inner workings of someone's life these days

put yourself in their shoes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

But they never told you twenty years ago, when I lived the wild life of a rover, that one day you'd have to remember every address you've ever lived at. Bloody impossible, so I lied, and passed!!!!!!

But they never told you twenty years ago, when I lived the wild life of a rover, that one day you'd have to remember every address you've ever lived at. Bloody impossible, so I lied, and passed!!!!!!

now they can legally sack you for lying on your application form.

• Advertisement

But I'm a volunteer, no skin of my nose. I have no criminal convictions, I'm not a kiddy fiddler, so what if I lie on the application form. I'm not hiding anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

The general point is that it gives reassurance to the community that benefits from the efforts of volunteers and to the volunteering organisation itself and helps to build trust. The vetting system can take time and require detailed responses and it would be a pity if that stopped people in general from volunteering, however it is important to tell the truth and there can be consequences to lying so please don't. It is a very worthy thing to volunteer for the community but there are some responsibilities for volunteers even when they are giving freely of their time and effort. If you want to go into more specifics about filling out the form and trying to fill in the gaps, you could get some ideas in this thread or begin a new thread in the Emergency Services forum

But I'm a volunteer, no skin of my nose. I have no criminal convictions, I'm not a kiddy fiddler, so what if I lie on the application form. I'm not hiding anything.

then why volunteer @ all??
    <snip>

<mod>
    please refrain from personalised remarks even under the circumstances.

i volunteer myself when i can, have done so in the past and will do so when able in the future.

full disclosure is the way to go.

• Advertisement

Tis hard to imagine them sacking a good volunteer for that. Although in surveillance obsessed Britain it probably does happen

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Tis hard to imagine them sacking a good volunteer for that. Although in surveillance obsessed Britain it probably does happen

Could you imagine the uproar if a convicted pedophile was caught volunteering with kids? No charity would take the chance, and they'd be very pissed off you lied on your form and would most definitely send you packing for risking their reputation.

dory wrote: »
    Could you imagine the uproar if a convicted pedophile was caught volunteering with kids? No charity would take the chance, and they'd be very pissed off you lied on your form and would most definitely send you packing for risking their reputation.

well depending on how long the paedophile had been volunteering without causing trouble it could make the whole vetting thing seem quite pointless.

Im tempted to try it now, just to see what would happen. Its not like i'd be losing anything if they kicked me out, and i'd still be doing them a favour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You seem to be missing the point slightly. Either way, you don't really seem worth my time explaining.

i volunteer myself when i can, have done so in the past and will do so when able in the future.

full disclosure is the way to go.

But I can't remember the exact addresses of the dozens of places I've lived over the last twenty-odd years, if I did I would disclose them but I can't so I lied. :rolleyes:

Mod Do not lie on the vetting form. This thread is not going anywhere helpful and some posters need to re-evaluate their attitude to telling the truth. Getting caught lying may not just affect you volunteering but may be a record that follows you elsewhere. Vetting is done to protect vulnerable people and it is incongruous to on the one hand want to help vulnerable people but on the other not respect the vetting process.
    This thread goes through the address issue in more detail and even if you dont have all the addresses it can still be possible to go through the process.
    Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement