Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Enough Free Disk Space on External Hard drive - But There Is

• 30-10-2010 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 4.7gb .mkv file on my house computer which I want to cut and paste to my WD external hard drive.

However I keep getting an error saying there is no free disk space, but there is, in fact there is 171gb of free space left.

The file system on my external hard drive is FAT32. So could it be something to do with this?

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

FAT32 won't allow files larger than 4GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

FAT32 won't allow files larger than 4GB.

Yep if you're using Windows and you want to copy files that big, you should reformat the drive as NTFS. Just be careful though that any other devices that might be reading the drive (e.g. DVD & media players) can read NTFS drives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

100% agree with the above solutions given.

You have to copy ALL that is on your drive to another temp location - NOT on the external.
    Then format the drive into the NTFS format. Then when completed, copy everything back onto it including your very large file (film in HD is it?).

Small note: if your doing the formatting using a laptop - plug in the laptop to a power source.
    The last thing you want is while your formatting your drive, for the battery to accidentally run flat and possibly screw up the formatting process and subsequently, possibly your external drive.
    So plug it in, just to be on the safe side till the job completes. Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

No need to reformat, just do a conversion and the data will stay intact. :)
    Find out whatever drive letter you hard drive is on, eg X: and then run the following from a command prompt
    convert x: /fs:ntfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

If converting from FAT to NTFS, windows 7 has a nifty feature that allows you to convert the drive without taking your stuff off - Instructions here

Warning: Although the chance of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, it is recommended that you backup any data that you do not want to lose on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion to be extra safe.

I've done this myself on my WD Elements 1TB and it works perfectly. takes a while to do it (can't remember how long exactly) but certainly shorter than copying out all wanted files, formating, and transferring back files.

EDIT: damn you feelgood, beat me to it >.< but does that work on all windows OS's? thought it was only 7...?

• Advertisement

whiteman19 wrote: »
    EDIT: damn you feelgood, beat me to it >.< but does that work on all windows OS's? thought it was only 7...?

Think so dude, its been around since the days of NTFS anyways!. So most likely since WinNT!. :)

I used to run it quite a bit on XP. There is another tool that I used that allowed you to change the FAT32 file size limit to 32GB which worked grand too. Was a small dos prog you ran across the drive, didn't do a reformat or anything just changed the limit. Cant think of the name of it now though :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

dunno where i heard that conversion only worked on win7. never heard of it on XP. you learn something new everyday, and that's my quota reached for today :D

Well I hate to say it, but I never hit these kinda problems anymore on my *COUGH COUGH* Linux pc....Are people still using Windows :eek:

Thats me all smugged up for the night :D

Advertisement